PDA

View Full Version : Ranger stuck....?

JPGR
01-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Hello all - this is my first post. Im new to DDO (am still on my first character Elf AA Ranger)... So far, other than hirelings, Ive been solo. Ive made it to lvl 21 halfway to 22, have decent crafting (92A 87D 67E), good gear, good stats & saves. My first goal was to make it to the capstone, and now I feel greedy and want to go to 25. What I am finding is that the upper levels are becoming nearly impossible to solo. They seem to be geared to either A- casters or B-groups. Is this by design or am I just a crappy player? Are there rangers who have made it to 25 solo? Is this a pipe dream? a bit more info: I plan on doing group runs, maybe even joining a guild, but for now I am really enjoying learning the game and developing my skills. any advice/ encouragement would be appreciated.

smeggy1384
01-08-2013, 09:37 PM
You'll definitely learn more by grouping, maybe its just a hidden shrine here and there where you would not look, maybe its some new tactics you hadn't thought of, or access to areas that require several lever pullers.

ka0t1c1sm
01-08-2013, 09:38 PM
First off, welcome to DDO!

I've found that the majority of the epic quests to be very soloable on eNormal. I've soloed them on my pure cleric, pure artificer, pure druid, and 14 ranger/6 fighter (with a FvS hireling) without too much trouble. Nothing that a decently built and geared character like you say you have can't handle with a hireling. I've also got at least one of my characters to 25, and 2 of them to 24 without having to run much of those same quests on epic hard or elite.

Maybe you just have to look at your tactics? While epic normal and hard is nowhere near what epic elite is, it is still a jump from heroic quests. If you're on Sarlona, feel free to look me up on any of the characters listed below and I'd be happy to run with you or just "talk shop".

Oh, and the hireling can make the difference as well. Albus, in my opinion, is by far the best healer and carries Mass Deathward where the epic ones don't.

"Have fun storming the castle!"

JPGR
01-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the encouragement - will keep plugging away....maybe look into starting a new toon to group with. Food for thought.

Zirun
01-09-2013, 08:11 AM
As a Ranger (and specifically an AA), you'll have to rely more on strategy than, say, a Wizard. A caster could simply walk up and blow everything up, but Rangers simply can't do that.

What Rangers can do, however, is sneak by enemies (Hide and Move Silently are both class skills for the Ranger) or pick them off (using and abusing enemy AI, terrain, and ramge). Stealth is something that, if you haven't invested in, you may want to consider. It can allow you to bypass a lot of encounters in a lot of quests, though you will of course run the risk of getting spotted and getting into trouble.

If you haven't, crank your Object Draw Distance up so you can see enemies from further away. Ranged weapons have a really, really, really long range, so you can easily get the jump on them. You can also use noises (like an arrow hitting a nearby wall) to draw enemies out in smaller numbers from a great distance. This is most obvious (and probably easiest to learn about) in Claw of Vulkoor's final guardian room.

The last big thing for a ranged character is kiting. Get used to strafing to avoid ranged attacks (including ray spells), get more speed so you can avoid taking damage from melee attackers, and use terrain as temporary reprieves to heal or to thin the number of enemies you need to fight.

A lot of being able to solo is knowledge of the quests, though. Knowing what's coming and how to deal with it ahead of time is absolutely huge. You can put the best player in the world into Zawabi's Revenge, but if they have no knowledge of the quest beforehand, there's almost no way they're going to be able to complete it.

Don't be afraid to use a hireling, either. I hear some of the epic hirelings are really, really strong.

squishwizzy
01-09-2013, 12:14 PM
Hello all - this is my first post. Im new to DDO (am still on my first character Elf AA Ranger)... So far, other than hirelings, Ive been solo. Ive made it to lvl 21 halfway to 22, have decent crafting (92A 87D 67E), good gear, good stats & saves. My first goal was to make it to the capstone, and now I feel greedy and want to go to 25. What I am finding is that the upper levels are becoming nearly impossible to solo. They seem to be geared to either A- casters or B-groups. Is this by design or am I just a crappy player? Are there rangers who have made it to 25 solo? Is this a pipe dream? a bit more info: I plan on doing group runs, maybe even joining a guild, but for now I am really enjoying learning the game and developing my skills. any advice/ encouragement would be appreciated.

First, what server are you on (just as a general question).

Secondly, what's giving you the most problems in these quests?

Third, what difficulty are you running on average. You doing Epic Normal or Epic Elite? There is a ocean's worth of difference between Epic Normal and Epic Elite. Also, are you trying to run raids? Raids are made for large groups on average, not for solo toons.

Fourth, do you have Epic Destinies? Much of that upper-level content is made for people with EDs (though you can do it without in some instances). If you're doing Epic Elite, you will undoubtedly need to access Epic Destinies.

Fifth, from what you've described you have a first-life toon, and are relatively new to the game. Solo-ing some stuff is going to be difficult at best. As a ranger, your biggest strategy should be sneaking, using wild critters as your comrades, slaying arrows, finding unassailable positions to shoot fromm, and using Multi-shot in as many instances as you can. But just keep in mind that a lot of people who say they solo stuff in Epic Hard and Epic Elite are also TR-ed toons. They have better stats, and have run a lot of this stuff over-and-over in the past. So they know all of the tricks and quirks of DDO, or at least have a decent idea on what to exploit.

A ranger should at least have a good Crowd Control bow (paralyzer, flesh-to-stone, ice prison, etc.) that stops stuff at a distance, so you can whittle away their HP (and prevent them from casting spells). You'd be really surprised just how much that helps.

Anyhow, I hope some of this helps.

Kinerd
01-09-2013, 01:20 PM
They seem to be geared to either A- casters or B-groups.This is correct, but you can still advance as a non-caster soloer.

There's two ways to look at being a ranger: you have a strong advantage in being able to self-heal, but when a meathead class can just pop a hireling and replicate that with high fidelity, that advantage is not as relevant in soloing. You are also a little behind in being a pure ranger AA, which does not stack up well with meleeing. Again, though, it's doable.

JPGR
01-09-2013, 04:25 PM
@Squishwizzy
1 Thelanis
2 Biggest problems so far.... Doomsphere in GoP (havent completed past casual diff and the Air Elemental chamber in Fleshweaver
3 Only recently became VIP so I am just now able to access all content. Typically ran every quest started thru elite, there are huge gaps still from being f2p. Highest level completed is heroic16 elite, just started Reavers & so far have gotten my clock cleaned by end bosses (Enter the Kobold) on normal. Have not run any raids. I maximize slayers when poss.
4 Have Epic Destiny
5. kite, hide, move silent, many shot, and AA slaying arrows are VERY dear friends. Just picked up a paralyzer bow last week in the AH.
@Zirun
you bring up a great point about Object Draw Distance which leads to possibilities I didnt think about.....My puter is a now a 7 yr old laptop on its last leg. I have to have graphics at THE lowest so it doesnt crash instantly, and not a ton of real estate screenwise for hot bars, and my movement keys tend to stick. Justification for a new puter?

Thanks again for the responses and advice. much appreciated.

squishwizzy
01-09-2013, 04:41 PM
@Squishwizzy
1 Thelanis

Ok, can't help you there. On on G-Land.

2 Biggest problems so far.... Doomsphere in GoP (havent completed past casual diff and the Air Elemental chamber in Fleshweaver

I don't ever solo those quests. They are more group-oriented in my opinion. I know people who have solo-ed them, but they are tricky to finish.

You could possibly work on the air elementals by using a banishing bow (they respawn), a paralyser bow (better idea), or fear arrows (which causes them to run away from you).

The doomsphere is undead I think, so a disruptor bow may work - not sure. Acid and force works on him too. Also make sure you have deathblock items on, some way to avoid negative damage, and some way to restore negative levels. he is also lawful, so anything with a chaotic alignment will add damage as well.

3 Only recently became VIP so I am just now able to access all content. Typically ran every quest started thru elite, there are huge gaps still from being f2p. Highest level completed is heroic16 elite, just started Reavers & so far have gotten my clock cleaned by end bosses (Enter the Kobold) on normal. Have not run any raids. I maximize slayers when poss.

Enter the Kobold boss fight is a nasty, nasty fight that most well-rounded parties will wipe on. So you're in good company there.

4 Have Epic Destiny

That helps. I don't have any so I can't help you there.

Kinerd
01-09-2013, 05:16 PM
2 Biggest problems so far.... Doomsphere in GoP (havent completed past casual diff and the Air Elemental chamber in FleshweaverOh that, forget it. Doomspheres eat fleshies, air elementals are open trolling of the player base by the devs.
Highest level completed is heroic16 elite, just started Reavers & so far have gotten my clock cleaned by end bosses (Enter the Kobold) on normal.This is a notorious quest for the end fight being much much much harder than the rest of the quest, don't worry about that either.

Try out IQ, you'll feel a lot better about yourself. :D

Daemoneyes
01-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Against the Doomsphere you want at least one of the necro chain amulets that absorb neg level and give Deathblock. I did that quest on hard solo with a hire and needed 2 try even with having 2 of those amulets i ended up with 12 negative level and a dead hire.
So get neglvl absorb and spell absorb items for that quest or join a group (or better make a group)

Enter the Kobold and the other quests there are really hard, at least the endfight if you dont have CrowdControl. If you really want to run them solo, i would suggest run them on Normal maximal.
Those quests are way harder then anything else in that level range, i joined a group for Enter the Kobold Elite a few days ago (my first time in there) and everything did run really cool. We ripped through those Kobolds like they where made of paper (most of us where TR) but at endfight we died so often it would be embarrassing to tell ^^

If you also use melee weapons (what i highly suggest between multishot) get the Elemental Kophesh of Ice from the Cannith Challenges. Improved Paralyzing and the Freeze effect make them really good and they are "easy" to get once you know how to run the challenges. Also consider getting the Elemental Bow of Earth from there, cc and damage from it are not bad.

And yes a new PC would help you a lot, especially since you could then engage the enemys from far far away.

Also i want to warn you about Dreaming Dark, the endboss there is really hard if your damage is not stellar.
Amrath quests seem also hard but cant say much about them just run one quest there.

In Epic things get easier again, heroic elite the last quests are way harder then epic hard.

gl

smeggy1384
01-09-2013, 07:34 PM
@Squishwizzy

@Zirun
you bring up a great point about Object Draw Distance which leads to possibilities I didnt think about.....My puter is a now a 7 yr old laptop on its last leg. I have to have graphics at THE lowest so it doesnt crash instantly, and not a ton of real estate screenwise for hot bars, and my movement keys tend to stick. Justification for a new puter?

Thanks again for the responses and advice. much appreciated.

Even if you cannot see where mobs are you can fire blindly into the dungeon and hit them. Used to do that with my ranger when i still had a laptop. Watch the popup that shows damage rolls, if nothing was where you shot nothing pops up, if you hit or miss a mob you see the to hit rolls. Might waste a lot of arrows, but you could always use the summoned returning ones.