PDA

View Full Version : Too late for DDO?

NuclearTwinkie
01-08-2013, 09:42 AM
I'm a refugee from City of Heroes. I am just now trying DDO and I'm really liking it. I was going to get a subscription to DDO but then I found out that there appears to be a 4th Edition MMO called Neverwinter slated for release next year.

How is the D&D licensing setup between Turbine, Atari, and WotC?
Will DDO be cancelled and replaced by Neverwinter?
If I wanted to purchase a 12 month subscription, will DDO be around long enough to see all of it?

I understand that there is probably no way to definitive way to answer these questions. Any educated guesses or insights anyone can provide would be great.

Galeria
01-08-2013, 09:45 AM
Welcome NuclearTwinkie!

Neverwinter and DDO are not directly competing or licensed the same. Atari is no longer in the mix.

Warner Brothers owns Turbine, Hasbro owns Wizards of the Coast, Turbine makes DDO with oversight from Wizards.

It's in no danger and not going anywhere. They just authorized the Forgotten Realms expansion this last year and made a big deal out of it at the conferences, with huge Lloth and Drizzt statues. More Forgotten Realms areas have been hinted at, so I think the plans for DDO extend far beyond a year.

SableShadow
01-08-2013, 09:58 AM
I'd do it; lots of custom quests for a new player to explore for a year or so.

Neverwinter is another of Jack E's projects and while I'm sure I'll try it out, I've also tried STO and CO; for me they didn't have staying power.

Sable Shadow, DM/Reg
Suzie Snake-Eyes, MA/SR

RIP Justice Server

Lagin
01-08-2013, 10:05 AM
DDO has the best combat and spell casting system. Hands down.

Sure we might not have the best graphics (with exception to new content) But this is the original D&D based game.

NOTHING can compete with it. Just as other companies tried to make a better D&D, they all fell short of the mark. Same goes for D20 based MMOs'

Uska
01-08-2013, 10:10 AM
NWO is going to bite bigger than 4E which bit more than anything else in the history of gaming and no yor not to late for ddo

Uska
01-08-2013, 10:13 AM

Sure we might not have the best graphics (with exception to new content) But this is the original D&D based game.

NOTHING can compete with it. Just as other companies tried to make a better D&D, they all fell short of the mark. Same goes for D20 based MMOs'

Not quite for me the new edition of hackmaster is what dnd should have become and Gary liked what he got to see of it HM didn't fall short of the mark it eradicated it!

Arnhelm
01-08-2013, 10:23 AM
I'm not holding my breath waiting for NWO. Yes, it shows promise. However, it's been "scheduled" for release multiple times now, and closed beta has yet be announced, let alone started. I expect NWO will be delayed further, until at least late 2013 or early 2014 for full release.

Also, from what I've read on the Cryptic NWO forums, the "full" game release is going to be quite a limited form of the future planned game. There will be only four classes, limited quests, and the big seller, The Foundry, is an unknown quantity at this point. I just don't see myself investing a lot of time NWO from what I know right now.

DDO is my game right now, will probably stay my game through 2013, and might go on as my game even after that.

Just my 2 cp's.

GermanicusMaximus
01-08-2013, 10:36 AM
If I wanted to purchase a 12 month subscription, will DDO be around long enough to see all of it?

Probably.

You have caught the game on what is likely the back end of its life. The game population is declining, some Turbine employees were laid off last October, and there is an increasing amount of bugs and server instability that the devs appear to be unable/unwilling/prevented from correcting.

With that said, even if the game goes into maintenance only mode its unlikely they will pull the plug on the servers this year.

Whether you can get through the entire game in the span of 12 months depends upon how much game time you have available on a daily basis.

Loromir
01-08-2013, 10:49 AM
Probably.

You have caught the game on what is likely the back end of its life. The game population is declining, some Turbine employees were laid off last October, and there is an increasing amount of bugs and server instability that the devs appear to be unable/unwilling/prevented from correcting.

With that said, even if the game goes into maintenance only mode its unlikely they will pull the plug on the servers this year.

Whether you can get through the entire game in the span of 12 months depends upon how much game time you have available on a daily basis.

While I agree DDO could be on the "back end of its life"...understand that DDO has been around for 6 years, so "back end of its life" could well be another 4 or 5 years (As I suspect will be the case).

You will probably start playing and get bored before they pull the plug.

DDO is going no where anytime soon.

Gkar
01-08-2013, 10:51 AM
Probably.

OP,

You should understand that this guy just joined the game and is saying the exact same thing that people were saying 5 years ago.

Also the layoffs were because tempoary staff were put on to code a large expansion, that is now done. That's pretty routine in the software industry to bring in temp help for big projects. Hiring is continuing at Turbine.

GermanicusMaximus
01-08-2013, 12:06 PM
LMAO. I thought he might benefit from some unbiased commentary, not the usual cheer leading from the "DDO is my boyfriend/girlfriend, don't say anything bad about him/her" crowd. :D

You should understand that this guy just joined the game

True, if you consider almost 3 years just joining. My join date is right next to this post. :D

saying the exact same thing that people were saying 5 years ago.

Yes, the game did almost die 5 years ago, before Turbine used DDO to test the industry changing concept of micro transactions, which saved the game and revolutionized the industry. If they have another industry changing concept sitting on the back burner.....

Also the layoffs were because tempoary staff were put on to code a large expansion, that is now done. That's pretty routine in the software industry to bring in temp help for big projects.

Of course, no one does corporate restructurings to get rid of temporary staff, at least in the US. Temporary staff simply work under contracts which expire. Anyone who has even a basic knowledge of US labor law understands the difference between a temporary and permanent employee.

Perhaps the most important thing that the OP can learn from this thread is that there are numerous people on these forums who lack the ability to understand events beyond the most simplistic level, but that does not stop them from posting inaccurate information. OP, chose your information sources wisely. :D

Missing_Minds
01-08-2013, 12:08 PM
LMAO. I thought he might benefit from some unbiased commentary, not the usual cheer leading from the "DDO is my boyfriend/girlfriend, don't say anything bad about him/her" crowd. :D
You are hardly unbiased given the sheer amount of bashing Turbine you do.

There is no more Atari.
WotC holds it and is allowing both Turbine and Cryptic to produce and run MMOs.
Turbine and Cryptic both can do FR based after the period (or maybe during the final portion?) of the Spider Queen's war. This is being done as a 3 prong attack on the "fans" as it were. To get the fully story on what happens you have to play both DDO, NWO, and read the publishing material.

DDO got the Comyr/Elmister side of things. (Ed. Greenwood support.)
NWO is getting the Drizzt side of things. (does this only mean the dale lands? I don't know. R.A. Salvatore support)
WotC is covering everything else in novels and material.

DDO is not going to be canceled but will have competition with NWO.

I believe it is very safe to say if you only stuck around one year, DDO will be up the full time period of that. However, this is not to say depending, a server merge won't happen. Wayfinder players have been really sad about the lack of people on. So hunt around for which server you like the most first.

Musouka
01-08-2013, 02:51 PM
DDO is going no where anytime soon.

That is true. Nowhere up, and nowhere down. In a year, it will be in the same place as it is now. Hopefully the enhancement upgrade makes it this year. It will do a lot of good, I believe.

Gkar
01-08-2013, 03:10 PM
True, if you consider almost 3 years just joining. My join date is right next to this post. :D

Yes, in the history of the game that makes you pretty new. (My join date lies, its actually 2006)

Yes, the game did almost die 5 years ago, before Turbine used DDO to test the industry changing concept of micro transactions, which saved the game and revolutionized the industry. If they have another industry changing concept sitting on the back burner.....

Actually it almost died because of a legal battle between Turbine and Atari that stopped all production on the game for about 18 months.

Perhaps the most important thing that the OP can learn from this thread is that there are numerous people on these forums who lack the ability to understand events beyond the most simplistic level, but that does not stop them from posting inaccurate information. OP, chose your information sources wisely. :D

Yes, they probably can learn that from your posts.

goodspeed
01-08-2013, 03:19 PM
You are hardly unbiased given the sheer amount of bashing Turbine you do.

There is no more Atari.
WotC holds it and is allowing both Turbine and Cryptic to produce and run MMOs.
Turbine and Cryptic both can do FR based after the period (or maybe during the final portion?) of the Spider Queen's war. This is being done as a 3 prong attack on the "fans" as it were. To get the fully story on what happens you have to play both DDO, NWO, and read the publishing material.

DDO got the Comyr/Elmister side of things. (Ed. Greenwood support.)
NWO is getting the Drizzt side of things. (does this only mean the dale lands? I don't know. R.A. Salvatore support)
WotC is covering everything else in novels and material.

DDO is not going to be canceled but will have competition with NWO.

I believe it is very safe to say if you only stuck around one year, DDO will be up the full time period of that. However, this is not to say depending, a server merge won't happen. Wayfinder players have been really sad about the lack of people on. So hunt around for which server you like the most first.

I can't believe anyone was actually goofey enough to start on that server. Then again I can't believe the thing was ever created. DDO was already in flux of players, some had ditched their servers moving to others long before. And then amidst all this turbine creates another server for Germans?

Granted it's a common language over there but still, the thing was dead when it started. All it was looked at was another first time server to get some extra tp off of.

FestusHood
01-08-2013, 03:45 PM
I can't believe anyone was actually goofey enough to start on that server. Then again I can't believe the thing was ever created. DDO was already in flux of players, some had ditched their servers moving to others long before. And then amidst all this turbine creates another server for Germans?

Granted it's a common language over there but still, the thing was dead when it started. All it was looked at was another first time server to get some extra tp off of.

Just last night i was playing on Wayfinder. Yes, it ranks 8th of 8 in terms of how much time i spend playing there. I ended up grouping with the other person that was playing there as by some miracle we were both level 6. Turns out the person lives in Illinois, and started playing there. Says he didn't know the server was dead when he started.

In a side story, i pulled a pale lavender ioun stone from waterworks there. I traded it to a guildy for a big bag of crafting essences, which are far more useful to me there.

Last night i pulled a silver khopesh from waterworks in a separate run through. This brought up a philosophical question for me. If i find a great piece of loot, and nobody is around to sell it to, should i still be excited?

Wayfinder is a true frontier. There is no way to make money, and nothing to buy if you could. Like the prairie pioneers of old, you will have to make your own way.

Musouka
01-08-2013, 03:50 PM

I learned it from yours. It's rough, because it seems that you do hold DDO to be a high standard, and nothing can come even close. To me, some of your opinions end up too biased. Not all of them seem that way, but some. I accept the bias, because who shouldn't back this game with the level of character customization it holds.

Overall, I don't see everyone migrating away from this game, but I don't see everyone shutting out playing another D&D game at the same time. They both can have their bonuses, and both can be played.

Lagin
01-08-2013, 03:51 PM
I thought he might benefit from some unbiased commentary,

but that does not stop them from posting inaccurate information.

I've read your posts, seems you do quite a bit of Turbine smashing as Missing Minds has stated.

And as for the inaccuracy, I'd check your dates. (just sayin):cool:

Aliss7
01-08-2013, 03:55 PM
OP, you may know the answer better than you realize. I never played CoH, but think about 1 year before the CoH shutdown... did you realize at that point CoH would be gone in a year?

Yes/No? Why did you stick around? If someone asked you the same question of CoH what would you say at that point in time?

Personally, I think you need mentally prepare yourself for the possibility of any mmo just up and shutting down. Here today, gone tomorrow. The reason I'm here is because of the DnD name/tradition (I actually think this brings in a slightly more "mature" crowd... *ahem*) and I do think DDO is a fun game with a good f2p/premium implementation. Subscriptions are basically anathema to me.

My two cents.

GermanicusMaximus
01-08-2013, 04:27 PM
I've read your posts, seems you do quite a bit of Turbine smashing as Missing Minds has stated.

I do critique Turbine, that hardly makes me biased. They have earned that critique based upon the facts. If you would like to dispute the facts, by all means proceed. Otherwise, you merely present yourself as yet another cheerleader.

Yes, in the history of the game that makes you pretty new. (My join date lies, its actually 2006)

I am always amused by people who believe they have some enhanced knowledge based upon being here since 2006. Its a game, meant to be simple enough to be played by children. Some real life accomplishments would be more impressive, if you have any to offer. :D

Pity the poor soul who would join in 2013, they will be a newbie forever in your eyes. Just one of the reasons your general attitude is detrimental to the game.

Actually it almost died because of a legal battle between Turbine and Atari that stopped all production on the game for about 18 months.

Yes, I love this little conspiracy theory. It seems quite popular among those people who prefer not to admit that, even though they have been here since 2006, the game almost died before us newbies (using your ridiculous definition) had yet to arrive.

Strangely, the general consensus of the gaming industry is that micro transactions saved DDO, and the only people who prattle on about this conspiracy theory are those people who attach their self perceived uberness to their 2006 join date.

[Giggle] And yet, I have worked in the software industry now for over 30 years, for over 25 years at one of the world's major software companies, and now as a business and technology consultant for companies across the US.

You, on the other hand, spend your time posting silly "authoritative" statements about Turbine's restructuring while at the same time being quite obviously completely unaware of US labor law. One of us is embarrassing himself while posting on these forums, but its not me. :D

Missing_Minds
01-08-2013, 04:32 PM
[Giggle] And yet, I have worked in the software industry now for over 30 years, for over 25 years at one of the world's major software companies, and now as a business and technology consultant for companies across the US.
And yet you continue to think that means something on forums, when how you present yourself and answers to questions mean so much more. If anything it proves just how biased you really are.

[Giggle]

psi0nix
01-08-2013, 04:50 PM
When I first started playing, the forums had lots of posts saying the game was 'dead', and many DOOOMMMM threads.

Now, years later, they still do, people still say it's dead, people say it isn't.

All I can say is that I cannot see any difference between then and now.

Unless someone is a Turbine official / employee, then don't listen to their 'predictions'.

Look at the numbers. Are the forums / game servers active ? (yes), then you're probably fine to go for a year sub.

(being a 'developer' means very little as to how much you know about turbine, I'm a programmer, and I have no idea what turbine is doing, and really anyone who says they do simply because of their job (which isn't at turbine), is having a reality crisis. Also being a programmer or developer or consultant means nothing about your ability to 'know' things, I've met many very sub-par intelligence wise people with those titles.)

Beethoven
01-08-2013, 05:05 PM

Atari is out of the picture since a couple years. The D&D licensing is set up directly between Turbine and WotC (respectively between Cryptic and WotC for Neverwinter Nights).

Neverwinter Nights and DDO both use the D&D franchise, but that's were the similarities between both games end. DDO is based on 3.5e, Neverwinter Nights will be based on 4e. Game/combat engine also look completely different. They are both developed by different companies and WotC announced a few months back that they will continue support both games.

Now, regardless of what some people like to claim, I consider it more likely that WotC stands to profit the most of both titles are (and stay) in business as WotC gets to collect royalties from both DDO and Neverwinter Nights, and it'd be sort of silly to assume every DDO player would migrate to Neverwinter Nights if DDO goes away considering the vast difference between both games. Also, it usually isn't in the best interest for a company to say one thing and then do another only a couple months later.

Turbine stopped reporting number of subscribers for both DDO and LotR when those games stopped using a subscription based business model. Ever since everyone has an opinion about the state of the playerbase, but whether they claim there are more, less or an equal amount of players as long the person cannot provide any actual numbers all they have is just that: an opinion.

Personally I don't see much of a change for better or worse over the last few years, there always been up and downs. I'd be to look at screenshots of the lfm panels from the last couple years they don't look larger either (smaller actually, but we didn't have auto-grouping then so that does not mean anything either). I suppose the best advice I could give is if you are concerned about this, you can log into the game for free and check the who panel to make yourself your own picture.

The rest I'd summarize as:

* Turbine has released their first expansion pack last summer, which included getting permission to use the Forgotten Realms franchise as well as the setting of Eberron.
* Turbine also replaced their old physics engine with the market leading Havok engine last summer (which powers numerous other titles, including big names like Diablo 3, SWTOR, GW2, etc.)
* The downside was that both in combination also created a laundry list of bugs and other issues, causing DDO's development team to push back several updates initially promised for fall 2012 to early 2013 to work on fixing stuff.
* Turbine already announced some of their plans for the next year, including a complete revamp of one of their mayor game systems (Enhancements) and a highly anticipated epic version of an existing dungeon pack (Gianthold).
* Turbine had lay offs late summer/early fall which included some programmers and forum staff of both DDO and LotR
* Turbine also hired some new big names roughly around the same time, including Elder Scroll's Ken Rolston as new Director of Design, Mortal Kombat veteran Alan Villani as new VP of Technology, former Zynga manager Jai Singh to oversee technical support and network operations, and Demetrius Comes, formerly of Petroglyph, as Director of Engineering.

Doom sayers are dime a dozen and you will get them on every forum of every game (including Neverwinter Nights, which I find funny since it hasn't even been released yet). The above though does not read to me as something indicative of a dieing game. It's an older game and doubtlessly will eventually cease exist, but I do not think for that to happen anytime soon either.

LeslieWest_GuitarGod
01-09-2013, 04:31 AM

I'd like to answer these two questions, as the 1st one's been answered.

DDO will not be cancelled because of Neverwinter Online. Period. DDO will be around for a long time. Beethoven did a real good job outlining why above. If you are really enjoying the game now, a 12 month subscription might be a great idea for you.

Neverwinter Online is a serious entry, a beautiful looking game. It is action packed and without question will be a worthy competitor to DDO.

For one, DDO's new blood is way down from what I can tell. PUGlife has never been worse, but its not because of less population. Its because of home much easier the game is to solo now, even by those that arent that dang good at it, to be honest. With hirelings and heal options golore now, even casuals can play solo, duo, or 3 man most quests. This means almost no lfms. But there's a silver lining. Many guilds have prospered -- as many have sought the community atmosphere of a guild of like-minded players. Id seek out a good active guild that fits your playstyle and personality.

NWO issues? Poor marketing and communication has EVERYone guessing when the CB phase will begin. There's clearly work to do tho, with only four classes announced. The silver lining? I spoke to a few reps at WoTC and Cryptic, and I firmly believe the game will ship with quite a bit more classes, and far more quests than DDO started with (and before long it will outnumber current DDO questlist due to the custom quest designer called the Foundry). That means even though closed beta may start soon, theres going to be a long open beta. Whenever CB actually launches you'll have 6-8 months minimum until the game is available via download. See, plenty of time for you to play DDO!

Thrudh
01-09-2013, 07:28 AM
LMAO. I thought he might benefit from some unbiased commentary

You are not unbiased.

Turbine is still releasing content as fast as it ever has, and LFMs number in the 40s every night on my server. And that's with more and more people soloing, or joining private groups without using the LFM panel.

DDO is at the top of it's game right now, revenue wise, and population wise.

You have no idea what you're talking about... You've been preaching doom for more than a year now, and the game hasn't slowed down in the last year.

Thrudh
01-09-2013, 07:29 AM
Hopefully the enhancement upgrade makes it this year. It will do a lot of good, I believe.

The new enhancement system, and epic Gianthold (if they give the powergamers some nice, but hard-to-get, items to shoot for) will definitely be a big boost.

smatt
01-09-2013, 07:33 AM
I do critique Turbine, that hardly makes me biased. They have earned that critique based upon the facts. If you would like to dispute the facts, by all means proceed. Otherwise, you merely present yourself as yet another cheerleader.

I am always amused by people who believe they have some enhanced knowledge based upon being here since 2006. Its a game, meant to be simple enough to be played by children. Some real life accomplishments would be more impressive, if you have any to offer. :D

Pity the poor soul who would join in 2013, they will be a newbie forever in your eyes. Just one of the reasons your general attitude is detrimental to the game.

Yes, I love this little conspiracy theory. It seems quite popular among those people who prefer not to admit that, even though they have been here since 2006, the game almost died before us newbies (using your ridiculous definition) had yet to arrive.

Strangely, the general consensus of the gaming industry is that micro transactions saved DDO, and the only people who prattle on about this conspiracy theory are those people who attach their self perceived uberness to their 2006 join date.

You, on the other hand, spend your time posting silly "authoritative" statements about Turbine's restructuring while at the same time being quite obviously completely unaware of US labor law. One of us is embarrassing himself while posting on these forums, but its not me. :D

Germanus-know-it-all-acus has spoken!

All this and you spend time posting on THIS games board... Quality... :p

Thrudh
01-09-2013, 07:34 AM
You, on the other hand, spend your time posting silly "authoritative" statements about Turbine's restructuring

How exactly are you spending your time?

Thrudh
01-09-2013, 07:38 AM
The rest I'd summarize as:

* Turbine has released their first expansion pack last summer, which included getting permission to use the Forgotten Realms franchise as well as the setting of Eberron.
* Turbine also replaced their old physics engine with the market leading Havok engine last summer (which powers numerous other titles, including big names like Diablo 3, SWTOR, GW2, etc.)
* The downside was that both in combination also created a laundry list of bugs and other issues, causing DDO's development team to push back several updates initially promised for fall 2012 to early 2013 to work on fixing stuff.
* Turbine already announced some of their plans for the next year, including a complete revamp of one of their mayor game systems (Enhancements) and a highly anticipated epic version of an existing dungeon pack (Gianthold).
* Turbine had lay offs late summer/early fall which included some programmers and forum staff of both DDO and LotR
* Turbine also hired some new big names roughly around the same time, including Elder Scroll's Ken Rolston as new Director of Design, Mortal Kombat veteran Alan Villani as new VP of Technology, former Zynga manager Jai Singh to oversee technical support and network operations, and Demetrius Comes, formerly of Petroglyph, as Director of Engineering.

Doom sayers are dime a dozen and you will get them on every forum of every game (including Neverwinter Nights, which I find funny since it hasn't even been released yet). The above though does not read to me as something indicative of a dieing game. It's an older game and doubtlessly will eventually cease exist, but I do not think for that to happen anytime soon either.

Now THIS is an unbiased post, showing both the good and the bad. Apparently Beethoven makes a lot of good posts, because I can't give him rep for this one, since I already give him rep for some other post recently.

Loromir
01-09-2013, 07:45 AM
Strangely, the general consensus of the gaming industry is that micro transactions saved DDO,

Isn't it possible that the so called "Conspiracy theory" is actually true and your comment also be true? In fact, the Atari actions did have a detrimental effect on Turbine and nearly ruined DDO.

It is also a fact, the F2P transition effectively saved DDO from extinction (Along with the Dismissal of the Atari suit).

So you are correct and GKAR is correct also...go figure.

smatt
01-09-2013, 07:52 AM
Now THIS is an unbiased post, showing both the good and the bad. Apparently Beethoven makes a lot of good posts, because I can't give him rep for this one, since I already give him rep for some other post recently.

I agree Thrudh... Same, I can't rep him.....

I have my many gripes with Turbine and DDO... But these people pretendin gto know exactly the conditions behind the scenes, and knowing exactly what's going on... Well :rolleyes:

The game is old, the game has at times hung on by it's teeth. The game is still in active development though. How it's gotten there is obviously tied to micro-transactions. How long it will continue in active development is anyones guess. It most certainly won't just disappear.. It will have a life after they shut the doors on development. It will go into Asheron's Call mode... Likely for a number of years.

smatt
01-09-2013, 07:55 AM
How exactly are you spending your time? He's multi-tasking... You see as he posted that, he was advising a secret person, on a secret game that secretely has 27 million players and has $400 billion a year in revenue :D And in his 15 minutes of spare time he was polishing his Lambo with a cloth diaper. :D

Loromir
01-09-2013, 07:56 AM
For one, DDO's new blood is way down from what I can tell. PUGlife has never been worse, but its not because of less population. Its because of home much easier the game is to solo now, even by those that arent that dang good at it, to be honest. With hirelings and heal options golore now, even casuals can play solo, duo, or 3 man most quests. This means almost no lfms. But there's a silver lining. Many guilds have prospered -- as many have sought the community atmosphere of a guild of like-minded players. Id seek out a good active guild that fits your playstyle and personality.

Here's a good point....Guilds, Guilds, Guilds. When I started the game 3 years ago, there were no airships and no guild levels. It was not unusual to see dozens of guildless players online at any given time. Those guildless players put up lfms and populated the PUG world.

When it became a real benefit to be a member of a guild, suddenly the guildless population shrank dramatically and therefore the the PUG world shrank with it. Now days, it is much easier to fill a party with guildies and chat channel members and thus, fewer LFMs are published.

DDO is still as stong as ever, bugs not withstanding.

Vellrad
01-09-2013, 08:02 AM
DDO has the best combat

So, no MMO got better melee combat than "hold down left mouse button until monster(s) are dead"?

Gkar
01-09-2013, 08:07 AM
So, no MMO got better melee combat than "hold down left mouse button until monster(s) are dead"?

You are playing the game wrong if that's how you play it lol (With the exception of some "boss" fights are are designed with basically that stupid mechanic and 2gazillion hp)

Vellrad
01-09-2013, 08:11 AM
You are playing the game wrong if that's how you play it lol (With the exception of some "boss" fights are are designed with basically that stupid mechanic and 2gazillion hp)

Nothing more is usually required on the way to lvl 20 in combat itself.
Before combat you just use rages, boosts, items etc, but in combat, holding down 1 button is usually enough, even on elite.

fco-karatekid
01-09-2013, 08:58 AM
I am a Turbine basher, but only in the sense their quality and attention to detail has horribly fallen off since ~Update 10, which I contribute to being in too much of a hurry to get new content out with making sure that content works being of secondary concern.

I speculate that will continue, given the histories of the new hires in their previous positions (as well as at least one who specializes in monetization).

I will neither recommend nor non-recommend subscribing, since I cannot tell - given all the variables cited in the posts above - whether the quality will improve.

I also cannot tell if the game is dying or not, since this is the first and only MMO I have ever played (I dislike the genre, normally); but IMHO, it has _at least_ one year left in it. If a one year sub is an investment you can stomach, you likely have at least that.

I play this game nightly because it has a LOT going for it. I also complain about it nightly (not necessarily on these or other forums) due to a plethora of bugs that wind up breaking immersion during every gaming session.

So while the two sides personally attack one another (and I'm always about 1 second from going off on one of the fanbois in particular), hopefully this is useful to you.

Feralthyrtiaq
01-09-2013, 09:17 AM

"You are not facing...."
"Out of range...."

Is NOT the best spell casting system. Losing spell points because I am not facing the mobs running about in front of me is not elfing fun or the "best".

Gkar
01-09-2013, 09:24 AM

Nothing more is usually required on the way to lvl 20 in combat itself.
Before combat you just use rages, boosts, items etc, but in combat, holding down 1 button is usually enough, even on elite.

I rest my case.

Cordovan
01-09-2013, 09:30 AM
Since the OP's questions have been answered, and this thread has devolved into personal attacks and fighting, it is now closed.