PDA

View Full Version : Sensible Cannith Crafting Update Suggestions

Stoner81
01-04-2013, 08:38 PM
As has already been mentioned in various threads on the forum Cannith Crafting is in dire need of some (read lots) of TLC and as such I thought it would be good to have a proper thread for sensible ideas and suggestions in the "Suggestions" section of the forum (the original content of this post is at the bottom just so as the first few replies make sense).

Now with that being said here are some suggestions:

All prefixes and suffixes should be craftable.
Once a player reaches level 150 in all crafting schools then prefixes and suffixes should no longer matter since you are a master crafter (e.g. you could use two prefixes or two suffixes). <removed stuff about masterful, read post #17>
Update the crafting UI's to make them easier to follow (more aimed at newer players) and make it easier to see what shard is a prefix and what is a suffix (see original post below).
Add categories to the Ingredients bag like there is for Collectibles, it would make searching for stuff a lot easier (not really to with crafting but it just makes good sense to me, though it would help with some crafting I think).
To be able to craft +15 items like Haggle for example (see suggestion 1).

I can't think of anything else at the moment but please get those suggestions in and lets get Cannith Crafting updated people, I will add popular ideas to the above list.

Stoner81.

Original Post

Turbine could you please please PLEASE add the information on what is a suffix and what is a prefix within the game! It is maddening to constantly have to drop back to windows to find out what is what while I am crafting (still fairly new to it). Just something to say that a shard is a prefix/suffix is all!

Please please please please!

Thank you.

Stoner81.

PS - In case you missed it I did say please a lot :D

Jay203
01-04-2013, 09:44 PM
typical rule i use is to look at the shard
if it says Shard of blah blah blah, it's a suffix item
if it says bla blah blah Shard, it's a prefix item

it seems to work most of the time :D

pyntsized
01-04-2013, 10:59 PM

supposed to work all of the time

Jay203
01-05-2013, 02:39 AM
supposed to work all of the time

just to be safe :D

CaptainSpacePony
01-05-2013, 09:03 AM

I follow this rule and have had no problem with it.

Now, trying to figure out what kind of item a given shard can be imbued on is a different story... and that goes double for flexible shards.

sebastianosmith
01-05-2013, 09:09 AM
Please please please please!

Now, trying to figure out what kind of item a given shard can be imbued on is a different story... and that goes double for flexible shards.

Give the Cannith Crafting Planner (http://cannith.cubicleninja.com/) by forum member JJFlanigan a go. It can save loads of time and effort.

Best of luck!

CaptainSpacePony
01-05-2013, 09:12 AM
Give the Cannith Crafting Planner (http://cannith.cubicleninja.com/) by forum member JJFlanigan a go. It can save loads of time and effort.

Best of luck!

Thanks. I already use it, but would prefer if the shard openly stated "Can be applied to X, Y, and Z, types of items."

starhawk_6699
01-05-2013, 09:27 AM

:rolleyes:True, but if you if you look at the shard creation machine, without hovering over it to get the pop-up description, they all say blah blah Shard (except the Shard of Masterful Craftsmanship). It would be nice if they could they would put at P or S in the shard selection menu so that you could easily tell, or at least change the names in shard selection menu to reflect this so that as you scroll thru them you could easily tell which were which. I did the same thing as the OP until I discovered how this worked. I'm sure alot of people are frustrated by this. My girlfriend gave up on crafting because of this very reason.

Jay203
01-05-2013, 01:11 PM
I follow this rule and have had no problem with it.

when you go to a item creation machine, you can hover over the second icon in the recipe and it'll tell you what the shard can go on

and flexible shards can go on anything basically, that's why it's called flexible :p
though i think the prefix/suffix restriction still applies unfortunately :(

Stoner81
01-05-2013, 04:37 PM
when you go to a item creation machine, you can hover over the second icon in the recipe and it'll tell you what the shard can go on

Any chance of a screen shot of to what you are referring to as I am not 100% sure where you mean.

Also as somebody else mentioned having a list during creation of what it will go on would also be very handy, I know these 2 ideas would require a huge amount of time to put in place but in another thread people are crying out for Cannith Crafting to be updated so why not do the whole hog so to speak?

Stoner81.

Jay203
01-05-2013, 06:35 PM
Any chance of a screen shot of to what you are referring to as I am not 100% sure where you mean.

Also as somebody else mentioned having a list during creation of what it will go on would also be very handy, I know these 2 ideas would require a huge amount of time to put in place but in another thread people are crying out for Cannith Crafting to be updated so why not do the whole hog so to speak?

Stoner81.

here

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt141/lonestartygar/ScreenShot00005_zpsd72f8e24.jpg
http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt141/lonestartygar/ScreenShot00006_zps2deaddb6.jpg
http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt141/lonestartygar/ScreenShot00007_zpsc28e2037.jpg
http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt141/lonestartygar/ScreenShot00008_zpsfc875e75.jpg

CaptainSpacePony
01-06-2013, 05:50 AM
(

Well slap me upside the head and call me Susan! I think I just learned something.

honkuimushi
01-06-2013, 06:19 AM
It would still be nice to have location and permissible items on the shard crafting device and crafted shards themselves. It can be annoying to switch back and forth between machines when you're making several items.

Stoner81
01-06-2013, 08:45 AM
Thanks Jay203 for the screens I know where you mean now!

Stoner81.

Jay203
01-06-2013, 01:51 PM
It would still be nice to have location and permissible items on the shard crafting device and crafted shards themselves. It can be annoying to switch back and forth between machines when you're making several items.

wouldn't hurt
just saying it's not a priority :p
a lot of the crafting UI could use a revamp to make it easier to search/sort
but we'll manage :)

Stoner81
01-06-2013, 03:43 PM
First post updated folks, slightly changed the thread a little bit after reading the replies so far and it gave me an idea ;) anyway check the first post for more information :)

Stoner81.

Jay203
01-06-2013, 03:53 PM
mastercraft should be allowed on all the crafted
random gen loot has items that include duo prefix or duo suffix items as well
by allowing this on cannith crafting, it'll definitely make it more useful than it currently is

don't have to worry about people making +6 str +6 con items for low level seeing how it'd be +12 enchantment, even with a mastercraft, it's ML: 20

unless we're getting the better mastercraft shards soon... which i doubt

Stoner81
01-06-2013, 11:23 PM
Good point Jay didn't think of that, updated the first post to reflect that also added another idea to the list.

Stoner81.

CaptainSpacePony
01-08-2013, 12:46 PM

(

So, as noted above, I found this tidbit to be very useful BUT I have learned that "clothing" does NOT include gloves or belts. It does include cloaks.

I made a dusk shard that will go unused as my cloak slot is taken.

I may have misread something on that 1, but as of now, I don't trust the "clothing" label.

OverlordOfRats
01-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Would be nice to craft +15 skills onto items.

shadereaper33
01-08-2013, 04:43 PM
As has already been mentioned in various threads on the forum Cannith Crafting is in dire need of some (read lots) of TLC and as such I thought it would be good to have a proper thread for sensible ideas and suggestions in the "Suggestions" section of the forum (the original content of this post is at the bottom just so as the first few replies make sense).

Now with that being said here are some suggestions:

All prefixes and suffixes should be craftable.
Once a player reaches level 150 in all crafting schools then prefixes and suffixes should no longer matter since you are a master crafter (e.g. you could use two prefixes or two suffixes). <removed stuff about masterful, read post #17>
Update the crafting UI's to make them easier to follow (more aimed at newer players) and make it easier to see what shard is a prefix and what is a suffix (see original post below).
Add categories to the Ingredients bag like there is for Collectibles, it would make searching for stuff a lot easier (not really to with crafting but it just makes good sense to me, though it would help with some crafting I think).

I can't think of anything else at the moment but please get those suggestions in and lets get Cannith Crafting updated people, I will add popular ideas to the above list.

Stoner81.

The only thing here I disagree with is that I don't think EVERYTHING should be craftable, especially with the presence of masterful craftsmanship shards. If every affix in the game can be crafted, then random loot loses its value and just becomes fancy looking piles of crafting essences. Now, I do think that they need to update the crafting system with a lot of the newer properties, and some of the ones that have been missing since the beginning, but I think there should be some of the rarer properties that are random loot only. Things like cosmic, auroral, thousand suns, pandemonium, omniscience, stuff like that, I think should be kept in the realm of random loot so that random loot maintains some value.

Stoner81
01-25-2013, 10:02 AM
The only thing here I disagree with is that I don't think EVERYTHING should be craftable, especially with the presence of masterful craftsmanship shards. If every affix in the game can be crafted, then random loot loses its value and just becomes fancy looking piles of crafting essences. Now, I do think that they need to update the crafting system with a lot of the newer properties, and some of the ones that have been missing since the beginning, but I think there should be some of the rarer properties that are random loot only. Things like cosmic, auroral, thousand suns, pandemonium, omniscience, stuff like that, I think should be kept in the realm of random loot so that random loot maintains some value.

I see your point but imho there is a flaw in your thinking...

Rare effects would require very high levels of crafting to achieve and probably be bound to account (e.g. Greater Undead Bane, Heavy Fortification) on top that they would require huge amounts of ingredients to make. For people who take the time, money and effort to achieve high levels of crafting then this is the pay off. Those people who don't want to have to deal with it can still use randomly generated loot so each has their own merits depending on your view pont :)

Stoner81.

danotmano1998
01-25-2013, 10:56 AM
here

Nice!
Never noticed that, thanks for the tip (screenies).
+1

danotmano1998
01-25-2013, 11:01 AM
Bah. Double posted.

Hafeal
01-25-2013, 11:30 AM
For me, crafting turned out to be nothing as advertised and the ultimate DDO grind fest. Not only do you have to collect ingredients, you have to mindlessly sit in the game and stare at a crafting machine of one type or another. The feeling of 'crafting' and accomplishment just aren't there. I know some people really enjoy it, it just isn't for me.

Suggestions? What would be fun and meaningful is my thought ...

1) As implemented, it seems most players dedicate one player to crafting because that is really the only way to get anywhere. It would have been (and would be) an improvement in my opinion if you could earn crafting xp along your journeys for all your characters from ANY in-game crafting you do (from the DDO Wiki):

Stone of Change (http://ddowiki.com/page/Stone_of_Change)
Levels 1 - 20 Cannith Crafting (http://ddowiki.com/page/Cannith_Crafting)
Levels 1 - 20 Guild Crafting (http://ddowiki.com/page/Guild_Crafting)
Levels 1 - 20 Trapmaking (http://ddowiki.com/page/Trapmaking)
Levels 4 - 20 Event Items (http://ddowiki.com/page/Crafting#Special_Event_Items)
Levels 1 - 20 Item Upgrading (http://ddowiki.com/page/Crafting#Item_Upgrading)
Levels 6 - 20 Green Steel Items (http://ddowiki.com/page/Green_Steel_Item)
Levels 11 - 20 Dragontouched Armor (http://ddowiki.com/page/Dragontouched_Armor)
Levels 16 - 20 Incredible Potential (http://ddowiki.com/page/Incredible_Potential)
Levels 18 - 20 Alchemical Crafting (http://ddowiki.com/page/Alchemical_Crafting)
Levels 19 - 20 Epic Crafting (http://ddowiki.com/page/Epic_Crafting)
Level 20
2) It would be nice if your leveling to 20 mirrored the 'opportunity' to level in crafting along the way in terms of XP. Make it so a 1st lifer, who does crafting can get to at least 40 without having to sit at a crafting machine but could get there from any in-game crafting. Higher levels then can be obtained in the course of TRs or crafting in the Hall.

3) The Shard system is here I suppose and not going anywhere. Make it so that the grind is reduced - fewer shards, more xp. I can't imagine this game element is 'fun' for most players or the reason why they login - oh, I am sure there a few but I can't fathom it is many.

4) Really, 150 levels? I mean at least match the number to cap at player ranks to keep some consistency. Who picked this number? Geez, do it on a scale of a 1,000 then. Looking at 150 as a new player, I can see players go, "Why even bother?" It isn't even part of the 'questing' and 'grouping' portion of the MMO.

5) This is an MMO for Pete's sake, allow crafting get togethers - parties that allow you to increase your crafting xp and add elements and optionals to quests that give crafting xp.

Overall, I think crafting could be made more immersive and much more 'fun' for the player base. Again, it seems decisions were made in its implementation without enough player input or from the low number of players on Mournlands who may be limited in their grouping or interaction in the game.

:)

Systern
01-25-2013, 11:48 AM
So, as noted above, I found this tidbit to be very useful BUT I have learned that "clothing" does NOT include gloves or belts. It does include cloaks.

I made a dusk shard that will go unused as my cloak slot is taken.

I may have misread something on that 1, but as of now, I don't trust the "clothing" label.

"Clothing" refers to "Cloth Armor" ('Outfits' and 'Robes') in this context. It doesn't mean things that show up under the "glove" category in the tabbed inventory view.

i.e. Dusk can be applied to:
Heavy Armor, Medium Armor, Light Armor, Clothing, Docent -- Chest pieces
Cloak -- Cloak pieces.

Buddha5440
03-01-2013, 02:13 AM
I think, and believe most crafters will agree, the biggest issue with crafting is the usefulness of the shards you can craft. Yes, they are still great for twinking-out your low lv alts and the convenience of putting two specific things you know you want onto 1 item without having to hope for an AH or loot-gen item that will work; but with the introduction of SOOO many new enchantments available on random-gen loot, I have to ask, "When will we see ANY of these new enchantments available in craftable shard form?".

I myself have a 1st lifer at lv 18 with all crafting lvs at or around the 80's, but she often finds things while adventuring that are better than anything she can craft (and at a lower min lv to boot!). I'm not looking to be able to add multiple prefixes or suffixes or to gain crafting xp from adventures (as was suggested earlier) but some new shards to mirror the new enchantments available over the last few updates would be MUCH appreciated! It takes a lot of time to get to crafting lvs above 50, let alone above 75 or 100 and there is a definite diminishing return on it over the last few updates.

After all, Crafters are people (or dwarves, halflings, elves, half-elves, drow, half-orcs, or constructs) too!!!. So, PLEASE, show us some love.

Otherwise, keep up the good work and don't ignore the nay-sayers, just remember that few (if any) have an idea of what it is like to create/code/update a game of this magnitude.

CaptainSpacePony
03-01-2013, 07:57 AM
"Clothing" refers to "Cloth Armor" ('Outfits' and 'Robes') in this context. It doesn't mean things that show up under the "glove" category in the tabbed inventory view.

i.e. Dusk can be applied to:
Heavy Armor, Medium Armor, Light Armor, Clothing, Docent -- Chest pieces
Cloak -- Cloak pieces.

Yeah, I did eventually figure that out. No awards for clarity on the description though.

I also have an unused dusk shard in a bag somewhere now.

Ancient
03-01-2013, 09:59 AM
One of the issue with cannith crafting is that it isn't keeping up with the current end game items. One way to tweak that would be to have random loot drops that can be added too with crafting (like how the non-epic House C teir 3 challenge loot works). These drops could be rare (like augment slotted item drops), but this would increase the value of chasing random loot drops as well as the value of crafting.

MarQuileth
03-01-2013, 10:43 AM
5) This is an MMO for Pete's sake, allow crafting get togethers - parties that allow you to increase your crafting xp and add elements and optionals to quests that give crafting xp.

I don't go along with your other points but I like this idea...

MarQuileth
03-01-2013, 10:54 AM
Here's another thought....
Artificers are mechanics in a sense...how about give them the ability to upgrade crossbows. For instance you come across a crossbow with the prefix and suffix you want but it is not a repeater...I would think an Artificer or Mechanic Rogue with high levels of crafting should be able to convert that crossbow into a repeater. If you wanted to take it a step further also give them the ability to upgrade a repeater from shooting 3 bolts to 4 or 5.

...just a thought.

Ralmeth
03-01-2013, 12:41 PM
The #1 thing I would want to see is the ability to deconstruct stacks of greater essences into lesser essences. Sitting there clicking the deconstruct button over and over and over again is really stupid and a complete waste of time. As a casual player with a limited amount of time to play, I simply don't have time for this. It is for this reason that I gave up on Cannith Crafting. It just doesn't seem that hard to have a little box pop up where you can enter how many greaters you want to deconstruct.

Stoner81
03-16-2013, 04:35 AM
Some good ideas, keep em coming guys!

Stoner81.