PDA

View Full Version : Faction Armor Kits as Favor Rewards

aradelothion
01-04-2013, 12:08 AM
As per title; there are a lot of Favor rewards that are, at best, lackluster (I'm specifically looking at you, Twelve Patron), and I'm not a fan of many of the existing armor kits, especially the light armor ones. I personally don't enjoy how the Goristro Hide looks, but the kit options are even worse IMO, so I end up wearing substandard armor on my main melee unless the situation really demands it. And since there are only a few (IMO) that look decent, a lot of people end up wearing the same ones; I remember joining a raid group once where the two monks (both helves) looked exactly alike.

How about if, as part of the final tier of currently achievable favor for a certain faction, we can unlock certain special armor kits from the store for that faction? It would probably even make getting Free Agents favor something to look forward to - assuming it looks really good. Taking it further, how about pack-specific armor kits? Might even get me to run 3BC or Threnal again :D

I know my divines would love to wear something that looks like the Silken Mail (http://ddowiki.com/page/Silken_Mail), which looks a lot like what the Silver Flame guys wear. There are already PDK and Lolth kits on the store, so there *is* precedent.

LrdSlvrhnd
01-04-2013, 01:18 AM
Honestly, i'd prefer favor-unlocked faction kits to NOT be in the store. Unless they're transferable.

But other than that, yeah, faction armor kits would be good - as would pack kits. A 3BC kit that looks piratey, a Shavarath kit that looks like something you looted off an orthon, a Vale kit that looks like somethig you looted off a... different-looking orthon (or a gnoll, maybe?), etc. That'd be pretty darn sweet. But again, not something from the store.

On the other hand, i think that store kits should be transferable, too; I know I'm not gonna bother buying something for any of my armors when they might release something else I want more and I'll then lose that appearance. Won't do that for current kits, wouldn't do that for faction/pack kits.

bigolbear
01-04-2013, 06:41 AM
absolutely signed!

I even suggest this my self once ;)

id love to be able to declare my affiliation to a house with an armour kit.

Eladiun
01-04-2013, 09:47 AM
Good Idea. Much better than an account wide pet. /Facepalm

OldCoaly
01-04-2013, 10:17 AM
Honestly, i'd prefer favor-unlocked faction kits to NOT be in the store. Unless they're transferable.

But other than that, yeah, faction armor kits would be good - as would pack kits. A 3BC kit that looks piratey, a Shavarath kit that looks like something you looted off an orthon, a Vale kit that looks like somethig you looted off a... different-looking orthon (or a gnoll, maybe?), etc. That'd be pretty darn sweet. But again, not something from the store.

All of this sounds great.

Promotes quest packs, makes players more aware of armor kits, adds flavor.

On the other hand, i think that store kits should be transferable, too; I know I'm not gonna bother buying something for any of my armors when they might release something else I want more and I'll then lose that appearance. Won't do that for current kits, wouldn't do that for faction/pack kits.

Couldn't agree more.

The useful life of armor during leveling is short, and an armor kit for something that lasts two or four levels seems pretty silly.

Prior to U14 you could reasonably expect to stay with a small assortment of armors once you hit cap, and Armor Kits weren't unreasonable.

Now all the old armors we used at the old cap are obsolete while chasing the new cap and we see the regard Turbine has for player time invested in acquiring gear as well as turbine points invested in their cosmetics.

Armor kits would be a lot more attractive to me if they were more durable or a lot less expensive.

dejafu
01-04-2013, 03:03 PM
I've had similar thoughts as well. The current cheeky "reward" for being an "honorary member of the Twelve" is pretty irritating, and giving an armor kit that uses the robe skin worn by NPCs of the Twelve is both sensible, easy to do, and has fun results.

Galeria
01-04-2013, 04:06 PM
I love the idea. It would add some interesting flavor to the game.

Khimberlhyte
01-04-2013, 10:57 PM
Armor kits would be a lot more attractive to me if they were more durable or a lot less expensive.
I've never bought one, and the only way I could see considering an armor kit would be if they worked like the spider mask from the expansion. BtC item, click to activate, displays on character until logout.

CaptainSpacePony
01-05-2013, 08:41 AM
I've never bought one, and the only way I could see considering an armor kit would be if they worked like the spider mask from the expansion. BtC item, click to activate, displays on character until logout.

... that's pretty close to how they work, only they don't auto toggle off on logout. They have to be manually toggled on or off.

Regarding the OP: Interesting idea.

nibel
01-05-2013, 10:39 AM
... that's pretty close to how they work, only they don't auto toggle off on logout. They have to be manually toggled on or off.

Nope, armor kits are wasted if you use them. The mask stays on inventory, so you can use it again if you change helms.

I think the person you quoted wanted the armor kits to be more like the bunny hat. You buy it, you have the appearance to be used multiple times, instead of wasting it in a single piece of armor that may or may not stay with you for long.

bloodnose13
01-05-2013, 10:46 AM
posted such idea long time ago too, still good idea.

/signed

dejafu
01-05-2013, 12:27 PM

QuartermasterX recently alluded to an unspecified upcoming change to the armor kit system. I'm hoping against hope it means something like that.

While I cannot give specific details or dates, we are planning on making improvements to cosmetic armor system. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

dotHackSign
01-05-2013, 12:37 PM
As long as it doesn't lead to guild t-shirts, signed

PurpleTimb
01-05-2013, 12:49 PM
I agree, good idea.

CaptainSpacePony
01-05-2013, 12:59 PM
Nope, armor kits are wasted if you use them. The mask stays on inventory, so you can use it again if you change helms.

I think the person you quoted wanted the armor kits to be more like the bunny hat. You buy it, you have the appearance to be used multiple times, instead of wasting it in a single piece of armor that may or may not stay with you for long.

I must have misunderstood then. You are correct that the kit binds to the item.