PDA

View Full Version : Half-Elf versus Human - When should you take Half Elf?

stefferweffer
12-31-2012, 02:00 PM
Assuming that someone has enough favor or DDo Store Points to buy Half Elf (and I do right now), I'm trying to decide when it is a good idea to make a Half Elf. I read all the Dilletante stuff on DDO Wiki, but frankly I'm not that impressed. Am I just missing something?

The main issue is I'm still tossing around what I want to do for a 3rd good solo, self-healing character. I group with friends sometimes, but usually I'm on my own. I have a 19 Human Palemaster, and a 19 Warforged Artificer, who are both very fun. I am now looking at a Cleric or Favored Soul (leaning toward Cleric because of spell versatility).

But if I made a Half Elf Cleric, what "Dilletante" would I want, and would it be worth losing the bonus feat I would receive if going Human? I thought about Fighter, for using a Greataxe or something similar. I also looked at Rogue, for up to 3d6 Sneak Attack damage later on, but when would I be able to sneak attack if soloing? I looked at Barbarian, for the extra HP potential. I looked at Paladin for the bonuses on saving throws, which is always nice. I even looked at Artificer for the proficiency with Crossbows and benefit to UMD on scrolls and such, but realized that my DPS would never be even close to the Arti with his Crossbows.

I guess, in short, I'm just not getting what the big deal is with a Half-Elf. Can someone please explain to me what I am missing? I'm still very new and am probably missing something.

Thanks!

Wipey
12-31-2012, 02:48 PM
Female dark monk helves are hot !

Rogue dilly is strong for twf fighter, arcane archer, I suppose melee bard, arty ?
Cleric dilly for easy hjeal scrolling while levelling or if you don't plan to have umd for some strange reason.

Even while soloing, sneak attack apply for stunned, blinded or " improve deceived" mobs. Take twf fighter for 3d6 from dilly+13 from item for both hands , yummy.

Most clerics you see are human, extra feat and skill point is awesome.

Ryiah
12-31-2012, 03:00 PM
I'm trying to decide when it is a good idea to make a Half Elf. I read all the Dilletante stuff on DDO Wiki, but frankly I'm not that impressed. Am I just missing something?

Every little increase is beneficial. I used to avoid Half-Elf when it first came out but have since shifted towards using it any time I am not dependent on the feat or another race.

I also looked at Rogue, for up to 3d6 Sneak Attack damage later on, but when would I be able to sneak attack if soloing?

Simple. You need to make your target vulnerable to sneak attacks. Not having aggro is only one method.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Sneak_attack

I looked at Paladin for the bonuses on saving throws, which is always nice.

My current Wizard (18 Wizard/2 Rogue) uses the Paladin dilettante, along with other sources, to achieve a lower-50s Reflex along with mid-30s for the other saves.

FestusHood
12-31-2012, 03:07 PM
If you haven't made a character that primarily cracks skulls to get through a quest, you should try that. Half elf with cleric dilit..dilleta...dilly makes that easy. I don't actually have half-elf but this is what i understand.

Rawrargh
12-31-2012, 03:12 PM
for a cleric half elf with monk dilly is pretty awesome. It gives you 20+20% healamp (44% extra healing) where humans only get 30%

Ryiah
12-31-2012, 03:13 PM
Half elf with cleric dilit..dilleta...dilly makes that easy.

I tend to spell it correctly most of the time. Those few situations I don't, I throw in a rough approximation and use the browser's spell checker on it. A right-click followed by a left-click. :p

hcarr
12-31-2012, 03:30 PM
I use the half-elf race to get me things from the dili that I would have to either take a splash of a class to get or use feats to get.

I really like the half-elf for my pure melee bard with fighter dil. It offered wider weapon choices and str enhancements without having to mess with masters touch spell.

I also have a half-elf assassin with arti dil for the repeater feats. The repeater is mostly for fun and flavor but its nice to have when you need to range things.

FuzzyDuck81
12-31-2012, 03:34 PM
for a cleric half elf with monk dilly is pretty awesome. It gives you 20+20% healamp (44% extra healing) where humans only get 30%

Or you could invert it & go for a half elf monk with cleric dilly - have one myself (light monk) & has awesome survivability - its nice to be able to reliably use a wand, raise/heal/greater resto scroll when needed - ok GR is 75% but still not bad, and even works when you've had a bunch of levels drained, try doing that with UMD :)

Fighter dilly on a cleric or fvs is nice to get weapon proficiencies, barbarian dilly on a caster for more HPs.

Rogue dilly is arguably the most popular one on many too for the sneak attack to boost DPS (use a radiance weapon to blind things!) & melee druids in wolf form, using sleet storm (again, to blind enemies) & FoM are surprisingly effective & very self-sufficient DPS.

When the 2 races were launched, people went nuts about the half orc with their big 2hander & str bonuses, then kinda just brushed off the half elves with their quirky dilletante feat (which admittedly were unfinished at the time), but IMO helves are better - but then i always take the option of added versatility, and half elves get the extra versatility while being able to stay pure class :)

Artos_Fabril
12-31-2012, 03:42 PM
I guess, in short, I'm just not getting what the big deal is with a Half-Elf. Can someone please explain to me what I am missing? I'm still very new and am probably missing something.
Any time an extra feat doesn't add more than ~10.5 damage/swing (for a non-rogue)
Or doesn't improve your self healing more than being able to hit heal scrolls at 95% (unless you can get better UMD)
Or you're playing a non-monk and want an extra 20% healing amp

Basically. If you don't have a need for the extra feat, Helf is better than Human. is it 1995TP better than human? That's a tougher call, and probably depends on what else you could be spending your points on.

Kinerd
01-01-2013, 04:40 PM
The biggest deal with half-elf is letting non-UMD classes use Heal scrolls.

A less big but still pretty big deal with half-elf is 3d6 sneak attack damage and (via enhancements) Damage Boost and Improved Recovery for melees.

As such, they offer very little to caster classes and almost nothing to divines.