PDA

View Full Version : Beginning Crafting 2012

GuntherBovine
12-29-2012, 03:39 PM
A while back, I started a new toon for three simultaneous projects - a guide to crafting, a guide to completing quests and a guide to making money. After a while, the guide writing got overwhelming and I stopped playing DDO. After a while, I came back but abandoned the new toon for TRing my main. As I did a lot of work on this guide, I am going to post it unfinished.

GuntherBovine
12-29-2012, 03:42 PM
This is a darn good question. From the DDO's Crafting Guide (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Cannith_Crafting_Guide):

Here are a few things you can do with House Cannith eldritch devices:
* Customized equipment including weapons, clothing and trinkets!
* Liquidate your inventory down to more easily storable (and somtimes even more valuable) components!
* Create items with more power...and lower minimum levels!
* Easier access to uncommon magical effect combinations
* Enhance the inventory slots of your choosing

For the most part, a lot of those bullets are redundant. I think a new player should craft because:
* Because the non-weapon items you craft are Bound to Character (BtC), they have a minimum level typically 2 levels lower than the corresponding item you would buy from the Auction House (AH)
* You can create items that fit a specific need that would rarely or never be seen on the AH such a Charismatic +2 ring of Light Fortification
* You can eventually make a lot of money from crafting, though it will cost money initially
* Crafting is a long-term project to create really powerful items and you might as well start early

The biggest reason not to craft is that it is really grindy. There will be lots of times where you make stuff just to get xp and immediately destroy it.

GuntherBovine
12-29-2012, 03:43 PM
* If you haven't yet, talk to Mari Mosshand and get a Small Collectables Bag and a Small Gem Bag. She is right on the dock in the Harbor where you get off the boat from Korthos and has a chalice over her head
* Go to the gate to the Marketplace from the Harbor and to the left of it is Felix d'Cannith. Talk to him and get a Tiny Ingredients Bag
* Enter the Marketplace and then go West and South until you reach the South-West Gate to The Twelve Enclave. Go through the gate, go down the hill, across the bridge and then up the hill to The Tower of the Twelve. Go inside and talk to Jeanselme Brucetius. He is to the left of the staircase you see when you enter the Tower. He will give you a Small Ingredients Bag
* Put the Tiny Ingredients Bag into your bank. Open your inventory and for each bag, double-click on it, click the Gather button and check the Auto Gather box

GuntherBovine
12-29-2012, 03:45 PM
* Go to the Crafting Hall in House Kandarak. The gate to House Kundarak is in the Northeast corner of the Marketplace. Inside House Kundarak, the doors to the Crafting Hall are in front of you, a little to your right.
* When you go into the Crafting Hall, a Warforged named Maker will be in front of you with a chalice over his head.
* Talk to him and select "Can you guide me through each step of crafting? (Tutorial)"
* Open your inventory, open your Ingredients bag and uncheck the Auto Gather box. Maker won't see items in your Ingredients bag
* Go North straight across the room to the vendor and buy the Dust of Disjunction and the Lorinda's Ultimate Remover
* Return to Maker and he will give you a -1 Weak Quarterstaff of Lesser Halfing Bane
* Go North and deconstruct the -1 Weak Quarterstaff of Lesser Halfing Bane on the first machine to your left
* Deconstructing the -1 Weak Quarterstaff of Lesser Halfing Bane produces 1-4 Lesser Fire Essences
* Deconstructing the -1 Weak Quarterstaff of Lesser Halfing Bane also gives you 1 Elemental Crafting xp. To see that, hit "c" to bring up your character sheet and then click on the Crafting tab
* Go back to Maker and talk to him. He will give you 3 Lesser Fire Essences and a Siberys Dragonshard Fragment
* Go North to the second machine on the left and make the Fire Touch shard
* Making the Fire Touch shard gives you 10 Elemental Crafting xp, giving you 11 total
* Go back to Maker. He will give you a Heavy Mace to disjunct
* Go North the the first machine on your left and disjunct the Heavy Mace
* Return to Maker and talk to him
* Go North to the third machine on your left and apply the First Touch shard to the craftable Heavy mace
* Adding the First Touch shard to the Heavy Mace gives you 10 Elemental Crafting xp, giving you 21 total. That makes you level 2 on Elemental Crafting
* Return to Maker and take the Crafting xp boost item

GuntherBovine
12-29-2012, 03:47 PM
Your raw materials
Here are the raw materials you will find that you need for crafting:
* Greater essences
* Items to deconstruct
* Enhancement Spirits
* Items to buff through crafting
* Dragonshard fragments
* Collectables

There are some more exotic material used in crafting, but they don't matter early on and I will discuss them later.

Greater Essences
At some point when you pop a chest, you have a chance of getting a Greater Essence. I first started seeing them in The Cerulean Hills. Greater Essences are tradeable and can be bought from the AH.

Items to Deconstruct and Enhancement Spirits
Here is what you will be deconstructing in the Crafting Hall:
* Weapons
* Armor
* Clothing
* Jewelry
Deconstructing those items will give you Greater and Lesser Essences except for weapons/armor with just a bonus (+1, +2, +3, +4, +5). Those give you Enhancement Spirits which are used for some crafting recipes. You have to deconstruct lots of items to have enough essences to craft something useful. Don't deconstruct items that you want to use as a blank for buffing through crafting! See "Items to Buff Through Crafting" for more details on what items to keep for crafting.

Digression - Named items and randonly generated loot
Named items cannot be used with crafting. You can tell if an item is a named item if it has no number in the upper right of its description.

Randomly generated loot can have an enhancement bonus (Masterwork, +1, etc), a prefix (e.g. Acid Touch) and/or a suffix (e.g. of Command). I call items without any of those a plain item. Randonly generated loot can also have a guild augment slot. Items with a Medium or Large Guild Augment Slot are quite valuable and I would recommend selling them instead of using them for crafting (if you are in or planning to be in a medium or large guild, then you should horde items with a Medium or Large Guild Augment Slot).

Items You Can't Deconstruct
You can't deconstruct the following items currently:
* Named items such as the Rugged Belt
* Arrows
* Bolts
* Darts
* Shuriken
* Throwing Axes
* Throwing Daggers
* Throwing Hammers
* Throwing Knives

Items to Buff Through Crafting
For clothing and jewelry, I use items with a wimpy prefix or suffix that won't yield much in the way of essences like a Ring of Bluffing +1. For weapons and armors, I generally use plain weapons and armors purchased from the "Hammer and Chain" store in the Harbor near Garrison Felmar (the quest giver of "Garrison's Missing Pack"). If you ever see a Craftable Trinket, grab it as they are very, very rare.

When you prepare an item for crafting, any bonus, race restriction, prefix and/or suffix is removed from the item. However, some attributes fo the items aren't removed. They are:
* Any guild augmentation slot
* Material type (Adamantine, Byeshk, Cold Iron, Darkleaf, Densewood, Flametouched Iron, Mithral, Silver)
* Previous eldritch rituals
* Permanent damage

So as you find items, keep aside items with guild augmentation slots and useful material types that won't yield much if deconstructed to use as blanks for crafting.

Dragonshard Fragments
Every shard recipe calls for either Khyber Dragonshard Fragments or Siberys Dragonshard Fragments. They drop in chest and smashables (crates, vases, etc). You can also buy them from the AH.

Collectables
Some recipes call for collectables such a Deadly Feverblanche. You can find collectables in most quests and I highly recommend getting every collectable in every quest you run. You can also buy collectables from the AH.

GuntherBovine
12-29-2012, 03:49 PM
At low crafting levels, I can get a signifcant amount of xp by applying a shard to an item. So at low crafting levels, I do the following:
1. Get lots of Lesser Essences
From either deconstructing items or sundering Greater Essences. To sunder a Greater Essence, go to the vendor who sells crafting supplies, take the "I would like to trade essences" menu choice, type in the Search box the type of essence you want to sunder (e.g. "body"), click on the Greater XXXX Essence Sundering choice and then click on Trade. To deconstruct an item, go to the Item Deconstruction crafting machine, put the item in the Your Ingredients box, click on one of the Essence choices (I almost always go with the highest level one) and then click the Deconstruct button.

2. Make 4 Lesser Essences shards
I make the shard with the highest expected xp per Lesser Essence (see below). To see what recipes you can make, go to the Bound Shards crafting device and drag the Essences you have into the Your Ingredients box. To make a shard, click on the recipe and then click on the Creaft button. Don't use a recipe that makes arrows or bolts as those aren't shards. I usually make shards that will go on a weapon. If you don't know the type of item for a shard, go the Bound Items crafting device, type in the name of the shard in the Search box and then mouseover the Item icon in the Requirements section to see what items the shard goes on.

3. Disjunct a plain armor/shield/weapon for the shard
I normally buy armors/shields/weapons from the "Hammer and Chain" store in the Harbor and disjunct them. To disjunct an item, you must have a Dust of Disjunction, which can be purchased from the vendor in the crafting hall. To disjunct an item, go to the Item Deconstruction crafting machine, put the item in the Your Ingredients box, click on Equipment Disjunction and then click the Deconstruct button. When you disjunct an item, any bonus, race restriction, prefix and/or suffix is removed from the item. "Craftable" is added to the description of the item.

4. Apply the shard to the disjuncted item
Go to the Bound Items crafting device, put the shard and the disjuncted item in the Ingredients box and then hit the Craft button.

5. Deconstruct the newly made item to get back the Lesser Essences
Go to the Item Deconstruction crafting device and deconstruct the item for Essences.

GuntherBovine
12-29-2012, 03:50 PM
Open up your character sheet and click on the Crafting tab. You will see that there are three types of crafting that you can earn levels in: Arcane, Divine and Elemental. Arcane is primarily skill buff items. Arcane Essences are Arcane, Body and Mind. Divine is primarily healing and cleric buffs. Divine Essences are Chaso, Divine, Evil, Good and Law. Elemental is primarily buffing elemental spells. elemental weapon prefixes and resistance to elemental damage. Elemental Essences are Air, Earth, Fire and Water. Every time you deconstruct an item, you get experience in the type of crafting that corresponds to the type of the Essence produced (or Arcane for when enhancement spirits are produced). Every time you make a shard, you get experience in the type of crafting that corresponds to the type of Essence you used. So you could be level 75 in Elemental crafting and level 1 in Divine.

Transmuting Essences
You can convert 2 of one type of Greater Essence into 1 of another type of Greater Essence. The Essences stay in the same type of crafting. The conversions are:
Arcane
2 Greater Arcane -> 1 Greater Body
2 Greater Body -> 1 Greater Mind
2 Greater Mind -> 1 Greater Arcane

Divine
2 Greater Chaos -> 1 Greater Evil
2 Greater Divine -> 1 Greater Good
2 Greater Evil -> 1 Greater Law
2 Greater Good -> 1 Greater Chaos
2 Greater Law -> 1 Greater Divine

Elemental
2 Greater Air -> 1 Greater Fire
2 Greater Earth -> 1 Greater Air
2 Greater Fire -> 1 Greater Water
2 Greater Water -> 1 Greater Earth

GuntherBovine
12-29-2012, 03:52 PM
To maximize crafting xp for my resources, I would ideally wait to start crafting until I found some Greater Essences, but that hadn't happened yet and my inventory was getting full. I kept all of the items I could deconstruct and fortunately I had found a lot of them. I had lots of elemental touch weapons, so I decided to deconstruct those for essences for crafting.

I checked what essences I would get from deconstructing items by putting my items in the Item Deconstruction machine. Air was the Essence that I had the most items for, so I started by deconstructing those. I needed some Parfett's Leading Dissolver and bought 10 of those. I had 7 Air Essence items to deconstruct, but I only deconstructed 3 (one had a level 2 amount of essences) so that I would stay at level 2. Deconstructing the 3 Air items produced 7 Lesser Air Essences and 4 Elemental Crafting xp.

When you gain a level, you have a better chance of crafting all the recipes that you could make before (5% better except if the recipe was a 50% chance, then 4% better), but the amount of xp you get from those recipes decreases. I would have been better off staying at level 2 and making Lesser Cacophony at 80% chance for 13 xp then going to level 3 and having Lesser Cacophony be a 85% chance for 12 xp. The difference is trivial at this level but it gets bigger as you gain crafting levels.

Now that I had some inventory room, I went back to the "Hammer and Chain" store in the Harbor and bought 7 clubs. Clubs cost 1 copper and are the item of choice for crafting for xp. I went back to the crafting hall.

Determining the best recipe for xp
Which recipe will give me the best crafting xp per essence? Magnetism is the highest level 4 Lesser Air Essences recipe and gives 15 xp, but has a 65% chance of success. If you fail to make the recipe you lose (1 - chance of failure) * (# of each crafting ingredient), rounded up for each crafting ingredient. If I fail to make Magnetism, I lose (1-.65)*4 => 1.4 Lessers, rounded up to 2. So my expected xp from a try at crafting is the chance of success times the gained xp or .65*15 => 9.75 xp. The expected amount of essences used in the try is the chance of success times the recipe ingredients plus the chance of failure times the cost of failure or .65*4 Lessers + .35*2 Lessers => 3.3 Lesser Essences. My expected xp per Lesser Essence is 9.75/3.3 => 2.95.

Doing the same math for other recipes:
* Level 2 Lesser Spark (100% for 10 xp) => 10 xp for 4 Lessers => 2.5 xp per Lesser
* Shocking Touch (95% for 11 xp) => 10.45 xp for 3.85 Lessers => 2.71 xp per Lesser
* Lesser Sonic Resistance (90% for 11 xp) => 9.9 xp for 3.7 Lessers => 2.68 xp per Lesser
* Level 5 Lesser Spark (85% for 12 xp) => 10.2 xp for 3.55 Lessers => 2.87 xp per Lesser
* Level 6 Lesser Cacophony (80% for 13 xp) => 10.4 xp for 3.4 Lessers => 3.06 xp per Lesser
* Level 7 Lesser Spark (75% for 13 xp) => 9.75 xp for 3.25 Lessers => 3 xp per Lesser
* Level 8 Resonance (70% for 14 xp) => 9.8 xp for 3.4 Lessers => 2.88 per Lesser

My crafting
Level 6 Lesser Cacophony was the best recipe. I tried to make it and succeed, taking my Elemental crafting to 38 xp. I disjuncted a club and then applied the Lesser Cacophony shard to it, got 8 xp and gained a crafting level. I then deconstructed the Lesser Cacophony club and got back 1 Lesser Air Essence.

I was down to 3 Lesser Air Essences, so I deconstructed another item for 3 Lesser Air Essences and 1 crafting xp.

The chance of success and xp has changed for all of the formulas. Rerunning the numbers, the 80% recipe (Level 8 Resonance) was the best recipe. Striding (5%) is also a 80% recipe, but requires a boot to apply it to, which are far more expensive than clubs. I successful made it, gained 13 xp which took me to 60 xp and level 5. I got 6 xp for applying it to club. Deconstructing the club got me 1 Lesser Air Essence.

Time to make something useful! +1 Flaming Arrows add 1-6 to my bow damage and only cost 4 Lesser Fire Essences. I already have 2 Lesser Fire Essences left over from the crafting tutorial. I deconstructed a +1 item for the +1 enhancement spirit. As I don't want to risk losing it, I have waited until I have a 100% chance of making the +1 Flmaing Arrows. I made the arrows, gained 10 xp which took me to 76 xp and level 6.

There are no 80% 4 Lesser Air Essences recipes. However, there is a 80% 4 Lesser Water Essence recipe, Level 10 Glaciation. I deconstructed 3 Level 1 Water Essence items for 6 Lesser Water Essences and 3 xp. I successfully made the Glaciation shard for 13 xp which took me to 92 xp. I got 5 xp for applying it to a club which took me to level 7. Deconstructing the club got me 3 Lesser Water Essences.

No more 80% 4 Lesser Essence recipes or even 85%. 95% is the best xp/essence, so I went with Level 8 Lesser Freeze. I successful made it, gained 11 xp to take me to 108.

Was it still cost effective to apply it to the club? I would get 4 xp for doing so, but the Dust of Disjunction costs 25 plat. Let's assume that a Lesser costs 50-60 plat. That means 3.06 xp per Lesser becomes 0.05-0.06 xp per plat. Applying the shard to the club is 0.16 xp per plat, so it was cost effective. I got 4 xp for applying the shard to club. Deconstructing the club got me 1 Lesser Water Essence.

I was starting to run low on 4 Lesser Essences recipes. Magentism was the best receipe so I deconstructed an item for 2 Lesser Air Essences and an xp. I was successfully made Magentism, giving me 11 xp which took me to 124 xp and level 8. I got 3 xp for applying it to a club. Deconstructing the club got me 2 Lesser Air Essences.

Earth had the best 4 Lesser Essence recipes. I deconstructed my 2 items that give Earth Essences and got 4 Lesser Earth Essences. I made Level 9 Corrosion for 11 xp, which took me to 140 xp and level 9. I got 2 xp for applying it to a club. Deconstructing the club got me 1 Lesser Earth Essence.

I deconstructed my remaining Elemental Essence items to see what I had to work with. I had 10 Lesser Air, 1 Lesser Earth, 4 Lesser Fire and 5 Lesser Water. I made a Level 8 Lesser Inferno for 9 xp, applied it for 2 xp which took me to 159 xp. I made Level 10 Glaciation for 10 xp, which took me to 169 xp and level 10. Applying it would give me 0 xp, so I just deconstructed it.

The best 4 Lesser Essence recipe available is Level 9 Corrosion for 8 xp (100%). That is 2 xp per Lesser Essence. Reflex Save +2 shard is a 50% recipe that uses 1 Greater and 4 Lesser Air Essences and gives 40 xp. If I fail to make Reflex Save +2, I lose the Greater and 2 of the Lessers. My expected xp from a try at crafting it is .50*40 => 20 xp. 1 Greater will be gone regardless if I succeed or fail and I expected amount of Lessers used in a try is (.5*4 + .5*2) => 3. 1 Greater is worth 5 Lessers, so the expected xp per lesser is 20 xp / (5+3 Lessers) = 2.5 xp per Lesser. So I am better off stopping here, waiting until I get some Greater Air Essences and then resuming crafting.

GuntherBovine
12-29-2012, 03:53 PM
I leveled up to level 3 and I am going to keep track of how many chests give essences at this level. I am going to ignore the one solo chest as I don't know the chest level.

Essences - Chests
0 - 37
1 - 6
2 - 8
3 - 7

Or an average of 0.74 Greater Essence per chest

Chests by quest:
Kobold Assualt - 1x0
Where There's Smoke... - 3x0
The Captives - 3x0
First Strike - 4x0, 1x3
The Hobgoblins' Captives - 1x0, 1x1, 2x2, 1x3
Clan Gnashtooth - 3x0, 1x1, 1x3
Rescuing Arlos - 3x0, 1x1, 2x2
Redfang the Unruled - 2x0, 1x2, 1x3
Friar's Neice - 2x0
To Find a Witness - 4x0, 1x1, 2x3
The Old Archives - 1x0
The Crypt of Gerard Dryden - 1x0, 1x1
Setting the Wards: The Lower Cathedral - 1x0, 1x3
Setting the Wards: The Patriarchs' Crypt - 1x0
The Sacred Helm: 1x0, 1x2
The Swiped Signet: 2x0, 1x1, 1x2
The Cloven-jaw Scourge: Blockade: 4x0, 1x2

GuntherBovine
12-29-2012, 03:55 PM
Bounds mean Bound To Account. As I am only worried about Gunthnewbie, this is is what I want early on.

Arcane
Early on, this is the school you need to focus on as this has really useful shards, some of which you can sell unbound for decent money

Level - Recipe
1 - Lesser Impact/Mending +5
==> Provides a small boost to either the damage of your force spells or the effectiveness of your repair spells for 3 minutes up to 3 times per rest. I suspect the boost is so small that it isn't worth the hassle, but I haven't run a caster since U14 came out

8 - Deception
==> If you have a toon that is soloing and is using Bluff, then useful. Otherwise not

8 - Impulse +30
==> Provides a boost to the damage of your force spells. As the +36 version is only a few levels higher, not worth making to equip

8 - Minor Stun Runestones
==> I love these and have them in my toolbar. When attacking a small group of mobs, I select the one I want to kill first, hit the number for this and then whack on that mob until it is dead. Minimum Level 3

9 - Reconstruction +30
==> Provides a boost to the effectiveness of your repair spells. As the +36 version is only a few levels higher, not worth making to equip

10 - +1 Enhancement
==> Incredibly useful and you will make lots of these

10 - Lesser Ooze Bane
==> Make a +1 Acid Touch Handwraps of Lesser Ooze Bane as soon as possible and then use them as your ooze killers. Handwraps don't take damage from oozes

10 - Lesser Vermin Bane
==> Vermin are spiders and scorpions. There will frequently be sections of low-level quests where a Lesser Vermin Bane weapon will be useful. Obsoleted by Bleed

10 - Spell Resistance (13)
==> Having a Spell Resistance item is really helpful as this protects against holds and such. This is the best Spell Resistance a level 1-4 toon can have

11 - Proof Against Poison +4
==> It is good to have a Proof Against Poison item to put on when going through poison traps or fighting mobs that do poison damage. This is the best that a level 3-4 toon can wear

12 - Impulse/Reconstruction +36
==> Provides a boost to either the damage of your force spells or the effectiveness of your repair spells. Any caster casting either of those spells should have something like this enhancing his/her spells.

12 - Lesser False Life
==> Initially, not useful as you should have the Rugged Belt from Korthos. However, once you can craft a Constitution +2 shard, this is a good compliment to that

12 - Spell Penetration I
==> If you are a Wizard or Sorcerer and using Charm and/or Hypnotism for Crowd Control, this will reduce the mob's saving throws against that spell by 2. The level 20 Greater Spell Penetration I is even better

13 - Charisma/Constitution/Dexterity/Intelligence/Strength/Wisdom +1
==> Depends on the build as you have to increase your stat to an even number to get most benefits of increasing your stat. +1 Strength can help weak toons carry more. +1 Wisdom can help low-Wisdom Paladin and Rangers cast spells

14 - Wizardry I
==> Provides 25 spell points. Power III is a little better

15 - Invulnerability
==> All low-level toons should have an Armor with this. This blocks five points of damage from all non-magical melee attacks. Level 11 quests are where you start seeing mobs who have magical melee attacks

15 - Lesser Giant Bane
==> Ogre and Trolls are considered Giant class monsters. Very useful for many quests until obsoleted by Bleed

15 - Various Skills +3
16 - Various Skills +3
17 - Various Skills +3
==> Skill shards are pretty costly and it is generally cheaper to buy the skill item off the AH instead of making it

15 - Natural Armor +1
==> A nice way to increase your AC

17 - Conjuration Focus
==> Reduces mob's saving throws to your Conjuration spells. As many Conjuration spells don't have a saving throw, not that useful

17 - Illusion Focus
==> Reduces mob's saving throws to your Illuion spells. The two Illusion spells with saving throws are Hypnotic Pattern and Phantasmal Killer, so not useful unless you are casting those

17 - Transaformation Focus
==> Reduces mob's saving throws to your Illuion spells. The three Transaformation spells with saving throws are Disintegrate, Flesh to Stone and Slow, so not useful unless you are casting those

18 - +1 Vermin Bane Arrows/Bolts
==> This will give a boost to damage and to hit over flaming arrows. I don''t like swapping arrows a lot so will pass

18 - Enchantment/Evocation Focus
==> Reduces mob's saving throws to your Enchantment/Evocation spells. As there are many useful Enchantment/Evocation spells with saving throws, this is very helpful to casters casting Enchantment/Evocation spells

19 - Ghost Touch
==> A necessity when doing quests with Wraiths and Spectres

20 - +2 Enhancement
==> Incredibly useful and you will make lots of these

20 +1 Ooze Bane Arrows/Bolts
==> I don't kill oozes from ranged typically as arrows/bolts may cause some oozes to split. If you want to do that, these arrows will give a big boost to your ranged damaged

20 - Attack Bonus +1
==> If you are a melee, you should of Goggles of Insight and won't need this initially. Once you start encounter casters who can cast Blindness and can craft Blindness Ward, this is a nice compliment to Blindness Ward

20 - Greater Spell Penetration I
==> If you are a Wizard or Sorcerer and using Charm and/or Hypnotism for Crowd Control, this will reduce the mob's saving throws against that spell by 3

21 - Proof Against Poison +6
==> It is good to have a Proof Against Poison item to put on when going through poison traps or fighting mobs that do poison damage. This is the best that a level 5-6 toon can wear

23 - Spell Penetration II
23 - Minor Spell Penetration III
==> For casters, these reduce the saving throws of the mobs you cast spells against

23 - Spell Resistance (15)
==> Having a Spell Resistance item is really helpful as this protects against holds and such. This is the best Spell Resistance a level 5-6 toon can have

23 - Persuasioin
==> Increases your skill level for all Charisma based skills including UMD by 3. If you are pointing points into UMD, this is invaluable

23 - Slicing
==> A wonderful general purpose suffix. A +1 Acid Touch weapon of Slicing will do 2-5 more points of damage than a plain +1 weapon against most anything except Undead

23 - Potency
==> If you are a caster that casts a wide variety of spells, this provides a +24 bonus to your Universal Spell Power, which is a larger bonus that the level 25 recipe (+20)

24 - Impulse/Reconstruction +42
==> Provides a boost to either the damage of your force spells or the effectiveness of your repair spells. Any caster casting either of those spells should have something like this enhancing his/her spells. Must be level 5 to use

25 - Charisma/Constitution/Dexterity/Intelligence/Strength/Wisdom +2
==> Depends on the build as you have to increase your stat to an even number to get most benefits of increasing your stat

Divine
I find this to be the weakest of the three crafting schools.

Level - Recipe
1 - Lesser Ardor/Brilliance/Nihil +5
==> Provides a small boost to the effectiveness of your healing, light and necromancy spells respectively for 3 minutes up to 3 times per rest. I suspect the boost is so small that it isn't worth the hassle, but I haven't run a caster since U14 came out

3 - Power I
==> Provides a boost to your spell points, but Power II isn't that far off

8 - Nullification/Radiance +30
9 - Devotion +30
==> Provides a boost to the effectiveness of your necromancy, light and healing spells respectively. As the +36 version is only a few levels higher, not worth making to equip

8 - Sacred
==> Provides a boost to Cleric's Turn Undead. Hallowed is level 18 and provides a similar benefit. I don't know enough about turning to say which is better

8 - Minor Flash Runestones
==> I love these and have them in my toolbar. When attacking a group of mobs, I select a caster in the back, hit the number of the runestones and then I don't have to worry about the caster until I have mopped the other mobs. Minimum Level 3

10 - Power II
==> Useful until you can make Wizardry I

12 - Lesser Construct Bane
==> Helpful for killing Defenders and other constructs. Not obsoleted by Bleed as Constructs don't bleed. The other low level Divine Bane recipes aren't useful

13 - Devotion/Nullification/Radiance +36
==> Provides a boost to the effectiveness of your healing, necromancy and light spells respectively. Any caster casting any of those spells should have something like this enhancing his/her spells.

13 - Lesser Monstrous Humanoid/Orc Bane
==> Not a lot of Monstrous Humanoids (Gargoyles, Medusa, Sahuagin and Wildman) in quests and not a lot of quest with Orcs (Ruins of Gianthold, The Captives)

15 - +1 Holy Arrows/Bolts
==> The best crafted arrows/bolts for most occasions unless you have a Holy bow/crossbow

15 - Lesser Elemental Bane
==> Very useful to have as you regularly encounter Elementals. Obsoleted by Bleed

15 - Lesser Undead Bane
==> Very useful to have you reguarly encoutner Undead. Ghost Touch and Holy are excellent prefixes to go with this

16 - Proof Against Disease +6
==> Very useful to have when fighting mobs that can cause disease

16 - Power III
==> The most spell points you can get with a minimum level 1 item (or +2 levels otherwise)

18 Fearsome
==> It depends on your play style, but this is great at keeping you from being mobbed. Casters should have Fearsome armor/robes

18 - Hallowed
==> Provides a boost to Cleric's Turn Undead. Sacred is level 8 and provides a similar benefit. I don't know enough about turning to say which is better

18 - Necromancy Focus
==> Reduces mob's saving throws to your Necromancy spells. As there are many useful Necromancy spells with saving throws, this is very helpful to casters casting Necromancy spells

19 - Everbright
==> Every melee should have a blunt Everbright weapon for dealing with Oozes and Rust Monsters

19 - Resistance +1
==> The Korthos sets provide +1 Resistance, so not really useful if you have that

19 - Roaring
==> I haven't ever used so I can't say if the Shaken effect is worthwhile. Unless you have an Improved Critical feat, the elemental Touches will average more damage per hit

23 - Power IV
==> The most spell points you can get with a minimum level 1 item (or +2 levels otherwise)

25 - Devotion/Nullification/Radiance +42
==> Provides a boost to the effectiveness of your healing, necromancy and light spells respectively. Any caster casting any of those spells should have something like this enhancing his/her spells.

25 - Blindess Immunity
==> You really need this when fighting mobs that cast Blind. The first one is one of the final bosses in the level 6 quest, "Purge the Heretics"

Elememtal
If you aren't a caster, not a lot of useful recipes

Level - Recipe
1 - Fire Touch
3 - Acid/Cold/Shocking Touch
==> These recipes don't increase the level of an item, so it goes well with early bane weapons

1 - Lesser Cacophony/Erosion +5
2 - Lesser Freeze/Inferno/Spark +5
==> Provides a small boost to the damage of your elemental spells for 3 minutes up to 3 times per rest. I suspect the boost is so small that it isn't worth the hassle, but I haven't run a caster since U14 came out

5 - +1 Flaming/Frost Arrows/Bolts
==> A great recipe that I use on my very high level crafter. Adds 1-6 Fire/Cold damage. Be sure that your bow/crossbow doesn't do the same type of elemental damage as elemental damage doesn't stack

8 - Resonance +30
9 - Erosion/Magnetism +30
10 - Combustion/Glaciation +30
==> Provides a boost to the damage of your elemental spells. As the +36 version is only a few levels higher, not worth making to equip

8 - Minor Petrify Runestones
==> I love these and have them in my toolbar. When attacking a group of mobs, I select a caster in the back, hit the number of the runestones and then I don't have to worry about the caster until I have mopped the other mobs

12 - Combustion/Erosion/Glaciation/Magnetism/Resonance +36
==> Provides a boost to the damage of your elemental spells. Any caster casting any of those spells should have something like this enhancing his/her spells.

13 - Lesser Dwarf/Elf/Gnoll/Goblinoid/Reptilian Bane
==> Very nice for low level melees to have a specific weapon for attacking these types of mobs. Goblinoids are Hobgoblins and Bugbears. All of these are obsoleted by Bleed

13 - Light Fortification
==> I don't usually bother with Light Fortification, prefering to focus on getting my AC up at low levels

13 - Protection +1
==> Excellent recipe for increasing AC

13 - Thundering
==> The first weapon damage prefix since the elemental Touches. Unless you have an Improved Critical feat, the elemental Touches will average more damage per hit

15 - +2 Flaming/Frost Arrows/Bolts
==> If you have a +1 bow/crossbow, these will add +1 to your to hit and damage. Definitely worthwhile

20 - Underwater Action
==> You should have an Underwater Action item to help with swim portions of quests. It is nice to be able to take your time underwater

22 - Stability
==> If you are True Neutral, provides a nice boost to AC and Saves

23 - Striding +10%
==> Boosts your run speed. Very handy

25 - Parrying
==> Provides a +1 bonus to AC and Saves. Compatible with Stability. Goes on weapons or shields

25 - Greater Nimbleness
==> Not helpful early on, but helpful later to improve the AC armor gives without paying for a higher plus value

25 - Impact
25 - Keen
==> Double the Crit range of a weapon. Really helps weapons with large crit ranges like Scimitars. Obsoleted once you get the Improved Critical feat

25 - Flaming
25 - Frost
==> Adds 1-6 damage to your weapons. Awesome for melees

25 +3 Flaming/Frost Arrows/Bolts
==> If you have a +1 or +2 Bow/Crossbow, increases the to-hit and damage of the Bow/Crossbow

GuntherBovine
12-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Arcane is I think the most valuable school of crafting. Getting levels in it initially is kind of tricky as the low level recipes that can go on weapons almost all use Arcane and Body and Mind are the more likely to be given when deconstructing items. As I had bought 12 Greater Arcanes, that really wasn't a problem for me.

There were 4 level 10 recipes that were appealing. I had a 54% chance of making them right away. Instead, I decided to focus on making 4 Lesser Arcane recipies with an 80% chance of success. When I ran out of those, I would look at the level 10 recipes.

I sundered 2 Greater Arcane Essences then tried to make a Level 5 Lesser Impact shard. Success took me to 14 xp and level 2. I added the shard to a club, which took me to 23 xp. I deconstructed the club for 2 Lesser Arcanes.

I tried to make a Level 6 Lesser Impact shard. Success took me to 36 xp and level 3. I added the shard to a club, which took me to 44 xp and level 4. I deconstructed the club for a Lesser Arcane.

I tried to make a Level 8 Impulse shard. Success took to me to 57 xp. I added the shard to a club, which took me to 64 xp and level 5. I deconstructed the club for 2 Lesser Arcanes.

I sundered a Greater Arcane Essence then tried to make a Level 9 Reconstruction shard. Success took to me to 77 xp and level 6. I added the shard to a club, which took me to 82 xp. I deconstructed the club for 3 Lesser Arcanes.

Choice time - do I make the Level 9 Reconstruction again (90% chance for 11 xp), a Vermin Bane shard (80% chance for 13 xp) or a Giant Bane shard (54% chance for 27 xp)? Failure of a 1/4 recipe is pretty expensive compared to the cost of making another 4 Lesser Essence recipe, so I decided to stick with the cheap xp and tried to make the Level 9 Reconstruction. Success took to me to 93 xp. I added the shard to a club, which took me to 97 xp and level 7. I deconstructed the club for a Lesser Arcane.

I decided to go the cheap way to the next level. I tried to make a Level 7 Lesser Mending shard. Success took to me to 107 xp. I added the shard to a club, which took me to 111 xp. I deconstructed the club for 3 Lesser Arcanes.

I sundered a couple of Greater Arcane Essences and then I tried to make a Level 8 Impulse shard. Success took to me to 121 xp and level 8. Adding the shard to a club would give me only 2 xp, so I deconstructed the shard for 3 Lesser Arcanes.

I could make a Level 9 Reconstruction shard for 9 xp, but I think it is time to shift to making shards that I want. I am going to skip the runestones as I will save that for Divine. I am going to skip Lesser Ooze Bane as I don't have any handwraps. I am going to skip Spell Resistance (13) for now as I don't have anything to put it on. I had a 90% chance of making the Lesser Vermin Bane for 11 xp, so I tried and succeeded, which took me to 132 xp. I applied the shard to a Greatsword for 3 xp.

I want the Greatsword of Lesser Vermin Bane to be a +1 Acid Touch Greatsword of Lesser Vermin Bane. I have been keeping all of the +1 items I find and I deconstructed one for 1 xp. I then tried to make a +1 Enhancement Bonus shard and succeeded, which took me to 147 xp and level 9. I added the shard to my Greatsword of Lesser Vermin Bane for 2 xp.

What other +1 items do I want to make? A +1 armor of Invulnerability, a +1 weapon of Lesser Undead Bane, a +1 weapon of Lesser Goblinoid Bane and a +1 weapon of Lesser Reptilian Bane. That is 4. I deconstructed 4 +1 items and made 4 +1 Enhancement Bonus Shards, which took me to level 10.

I then tried for Invulnerability, succeeded which took me to level 11. I then made a +1 Chain Shirt of Invulnerability. I am running low on Arcane class Essences, so I am going to stop there for Arcane. I had some items that would give Arcane, Body or Mind Essences, so I deconstructed them. My crafting levels were 11-1-10.

GuntherBovine
12-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Divine has some good recipes, but is a frustrating school. In has the most types of Essences with 6. Two of those - Chaos and Law - don't have a lot of good recipes. So advancement in this school is easily blocked by not having the right type of Essence while having plenty of other types of Divine Essences.

Looking at the level 1-20 receipes that posted earlier, I wanted 30 Minor Flash Runestones, Lesser Construct Bane, Lesser Elemental Bane and Lesser Undead Bane. I would have liked Everbright but I didn't have any Law Essences. My plan was to get my Divine crafting up to about level 7 making 4 Lesser Essence recipes, then make the 30 Minor Flash Runestones, then up it some more using 4 Lesser Essence recipes. I tried to use Evil and Chaos whenever possible as I had a lot of them and recipes I wanted to make didn't use them.

So I:
* Made and applied Level 5 Lesser Brilliance (22 xp and level 2)
* Made and applied Level 6 Lesser Brilliance (43 xp and level 4)
* Made and applied Level 8 Lesser Nullification (63 xp and level 5)
* Made and applied Lesser Lawful Outsider Bane (81 xp and level 6)
* Made and applied Level 9 Devotion (98 xp and level 7)
* Made 30 Minor Flash Runestones (127 xp and level 8)
* Made Lesser Lawful Outsider Bane (137 xp and level 8)
* Made Level 7 Lesser Nihil (146 xp and level 9)
* Made Lesser Construct Bane for later use (160 xp and level 9)
* Deconstructed a number of items (169 and level 10)
* Made Lesser Undead Bane (189 xp and level 10)
* Tried and failed at Lesser Elemental Bane

There are a number of 1/4 recipes avialable that I could have made to earn xp, but I don't have the right Essences. So I stopped there.

I did some Elemental crafting and then made:
* +1 Cold Touch Greatsword of Lesser Goblinoid Bane
* +1 Cold Touch Greatsword of Lesser Reptilian Bane
* +1 Cold Touch Greatsword of Lesser Vermin Bane
* +1 Fire Touch Greatsword of Lesser Undead Bane

My crafting is now 11-11-11. I am feeling pretty good about my gear, so my next crafting session will probably be to make unbound shards to list on the AH.

GuntherBovine
12-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Arcane
Level 15 Lesser Giant Bane (Arcane)
Level 15 Lesser Human Bane (Body)
Level 17 Enchantment Save +2 (Mind)
Level 20 Fortitude Save +2 (Body)
Level 20 Will Save +2 (Mind)

Divine
Level 15 +1 Holy Arrows/Bolts (Good)
Level 15 Lesser Dragon Bane (Divine)
Level 15 Lesser Elemental Bane (Divine)
Level 15 Lesser Evil Outsider Bane (Good)
Level 15 Lesser Undead Bane (Good)
Level 16 Lionheart (Divine)
Level 19 Resistance +1 (Divine)

Elemental
Level 17 Stunning +2 (Water)
Level 20 Reflex Save +2 (Air)

GuntherBovine
12-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Bound recipes are just like Bound recipes except they are usually double the crafting level of Bound, require 3 times as many greaters, and can be bought/sold/traded to anyone. At this point, we have a few 1/4 Bound recipes and the rest are 3/12, so making the 3/4 Unbound recipes instead of the same level 3/12 Bound recipes earns the same xp for fewer Essences.

Because Unbound can be sold, we can recover the expense of making the shard by selling it instead of deconstructing it and get a small percentage of the Essences back.

Sellable Level 1-40 Recipes
Arcane
19 - Spell Resistance (13)
20 - +1 Enhancement
22 - Proof Against Poison +4
23 - Lesser False Life
25 - Charisma/Constitution/Dexterity/Intelligence/Strength/Wisdom +1
28 - Wizardry I
29 - Natural Armor Bonus +1
29 - Invulnerability
38 - Ghost Touch
39 - Attack Bonus +1
40 - +2 Enhancement

Divine
32 - Power III
36 - Fearsome

Elemental
26 - Protection +1

GuntherBovine
12-29-2012, 04:02 PM
Before my next crafting session, I mapped out what I wanted my gear to be. This way, I would know what shards to make to keep and then I could plan what shards to deconstruct or sell.

My first priority is weapons and armor. For a melee, they are the toon's main tools of survival. I have a pretty good collection of weapons and armor and I am going to wait until I hit level 5 to upgrade those, so this crafting session I am going to focus on the rest of my gear. {url=http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=318331]This thread[/url] is a huge help for planning your gear.

So if I can make anything level 25 or less, here is what I would want for gear:
Hat - Wise +2 Hat
Necklace - Anger's Gift (http://ddowiki.com/page/Anger%27s_Gift)
Goggles - Goggles of Insight (http://ddowiki.com/page/Goggles_of_Insight)
Trinket - None
Armor - +1 Chain Shirt of Invulnerability (have)
Cloak - Cloak of Spell Resistance (13)
Bracers - Ogre Power +2 Bracers
Belt - +1 Health Belt of Lesser False Life (Have)
Rings - Ring of Striding +10%, Ring of Spot +3
Boots - Anger's Step (http://ddowiki.com/page/Anger%27s_Step)
Gloves - Dexterous +2 Gloves
Rogue Items - +2 Int item, Disable Device +3 item, Open Lock +3 item (Have), Search +3 item (Have)
Clickies - Protective Gloves (http://ddowiki.com/page/Protective_Gloves)
[color="Yellow"]Situational Items - Proof Against Poison item, Feather Cloak (http://ddowiki.com/page/Feather_Cloak), Ring of Waterbreathing (http://ddowiki.com/page/Ring_of_Waterbreathing)

Based upon that plan, I want to make the following (in order of level):
Spell Resistance (13) - Level 10 Arcane, 3/12 Arcane
Proof Against Poison +4 - Level 11 Arcane, 1/4 Body
Disable Device +3 - Level 15 Arcane, 3/12 Body
Spot +3 - Level 15 Arcane, 3/12 Mind
Striding 10% - Level 23 Elemental, 3/12 Air
Dexterity +2 - Level 25 Arcane, 3/12 Body
Intelligence +2 - Level 25 Arcane, 3/12 Mind
Ogre Power +2 - Level 25 Arcane, 3/12 Body
Wisdom +2 - Level 25 Arcane, 3/12 Mind

I also want for weapons:
* 300 +1 Holy Arrows
* Lesser Elemental Bane
* 2 Lesser Undead Bane
* Ghost Touch

GuntherBovine
12-29-2012, 04:04 PM
I am going to use my Crafting xp boost, so I want to plan what I am going to craft to maximize the amount of crafting I get done while I have the boost. I usually put my plan in school order:
Spell Resistance (13) - Level 10, 3/12 Arcane
Proof Against Poison +4 - Level 11, 1/4 Body
Disable Device +3 - Level 15, 3/12 Body
Spot +3 - Level 15, 3/12 Mind
Ghost Touch - Level 19, 3/12 Arcane
Fortitude Save +2 - Level 20 1/4 Body
Will Save +2 - Level 20 1/4 Mind
Unbound +1 Enhancement - Level 20, 3/4 Arcane (lots)
Unbound Proof Against Poison +4 - Level 22, 3/4 Body
Unbound Lesser False Life - Level 23, 3/4 Body
Dexterity +2 - Level 25, 3/12 Body
Intelligence +2 - Level 25, 3/12 Mind
Ogre Power +2 - Level 25, 3/12 Body
Wisdom +2 - Level 25, 3/12 Mind

+1 Holy Arrows - Level 15, 1/4 Good
Lesser Undead Bane - Level 15, 1/4 Good
Lesser Undead Bane - Level 15, 1/4 Good
Lesser Elemental Bane - Level 15, 1/4 Divine
Resistance +1 - Level 19, 1/4 Divine (Until 100%)

Reflex Save +2 - Levl 20, 1/4 Air (Unitl 100%)
Stunning +2 - Level 17, 1/4 Water (Until 100%)
Striding 10% - Level 23, 3/12 Air
Flaming - Level 25, 6/12 Fire
Frost - Level 25, 6/12 Water

Note: As much as I would like to make Unbound Spell Resistance (13), the 9/12 cost is just too high right now

Note: At this point, the higher the risk, the higher the expected xp per essence. A 1/4 recipe at a 95% chance has a higher expected xp per essence than a 3/4 recipe at 50% chance

Then I went to the crafting vendor and started sundering Greaters so that I would have enough Lessers for my crafting plan. I had 26 Greater Arcane and 4 Lessers, and was planning on making recipes using 9 Greaters and 28 Lessers with as many 3/4 recipes as I can make, so I sunder until I have 19 and 39. I do the same for Body and realize that I don't have nearly enough to make any +2 stat shards that use Body. I did the same for the other essences.

I chugged the crafting xp potion and followed my crafting plan. When the smoked cleared, my crafting levels were 20-16-17. I didn't make the Unbound Proof Against Poison +4, Dexterity +2, Ogre Power +2, Flaming or Frost. I did accidentally make a +1 Clever shard.

I listed the Unbound Clever +1 shard for 995/1395, the Unbound Lesser False Life for 1200/2000 and two of the four Unbound +1 Shards for 1200/2000 each. The Clever +1 sold for 978.5 and the two +1 sold for 1402 each. Assuming a price of 250 per Greater, I made a proft of 26.5 for the Clever +1 and 450 for each of the +1 shards.

GuntherBovine
12-29-2012, 04:05 PM
I can now make higher level shards, so it is time to look at what good shards I can make for Gunthnewbie now or in the near future.

Arcane
Level - Recipe
27 - Various Skills +5
28 - Various Skills +5
29 - Various Skills +5
==> As I said before, skill shards are pretty costly and it is generally cheaper to buy the skill item off the AH instead of making it

30 - +3 Enhancement Bonus
==> Great recipe for weapons, armor and shields

30 - Shard of Potential +6
==> You don't need this until you are making Minimum Level 11 items. Once you start making those, you will need this

30 - Natural Armor Bonus +2
==> A nice way to increase AC

30 - Wizardry II
==> 50 spell points for level 3 toons

33 - Bleed
==> THE suffix for weapons. Does 1-8 damage against almost everything except Undead

33 - Greater Spell Penetration II
33 - Spell Penetration III
33 - Minor Spell Penetration III
==> For casters, these reduce the saving throws of the mobs you cast spells against

33 - Proof Against Poison +8
==> It is good to have a Proof Against Poison item to put on when going through poison traps or fighting mobs that do poison damage. This is the best that a level 7-8 toon can wear

35 - Spell Resistance (17)
==> Having a Spell Resistance item is really helpful as this protects against holds and such. This is the best Spell Resistance a level 7-8 toon can have

35 - False Life
==> Everyone always needs more hit points. This one provides 10 more

35 - Shard of Potential +7
==> You don't need this until you are making Minimum Level 13 items. Once you start making those, you will need this

37 - Various Skills +7
38 - Various Skills +7
39 - Various Skills +7
==> As I said before, skill shards are pretty costly and it is generally cheaper to buy the skill item off the AH instead of making it

38 - Charisma/Constitution/Dexterity/Intelligence/Strength/Wisdom +3
==> Depends on the build as you have to increase your stat to an even number to get most benefits of increasing your stat

38 - Lesser Stun Runestones
==> I love these and have them in my toolbar. When attacking a small group of mobs, I select the one I want to kill first, hit the number for this and then whack on that mob until it is dead. Minimum Level ?

38 - Impulse/Reconstruction +42
==> Provides a boost to either the damage of your force spells or the effectiveness of your repair spells. Any caster casting either of those spells should have something like this enhancing his/her spells.

40 - Secret Door Detection
==> Extremely useful for toons that don't have a good Search skill. Even for ones that do as it eliminates the waste of time that is the Search action

40 - Shard of Potential +8
==> You don't need this until you are making Minimum Level 15 items. Once you start making those, you will need this

40 - Attack Bonus +2
==> Invaluable for a melee

Divine
Level - Recipe
28 - Power V
==> 50 spell points for level 3 toons

==> You don't need this until you are making Minimum Level 11 items. Once you start making those, you will need this

33 - Anarchic
33 - Axiomatic
==> Good prefixes while you are waiting to get enough levels to make Holy. It takes some experimenting to determine what mobs each works on

33 - Silver Flame
==> A good shards to boost Turn Undead capabilities

34 - Resistance +2
==> You never can have enough resistance

35 - Cursespewing
==> A great weapon for fighting bosses as part of a party.

35 - Power VI
==> 60 spell points for level 3 toons

==> You don't need this until you are making Minimum Level 13 items. Once you start making those, you will need this

37 - Holy
==> For a long time, THE prefix for weapons

38 - Lesser Flash Runestones
==> I love these and have them in my toolbar. When attacking a group of mobs, I select a caster in the back, hit the number of the runestones and then I don't have to worry about the caster until I have mopped the other mobs. Minimum Level ?

40 - Devotion/Nullification/Radiance +48

40 - Power VII
==> 70 spell points for level 4 toons

==> You don't need this until you are making Minimum Level 15 items. Once you start making those, you will need this

Elemental
Level - Recipe
26 - Protection +2
==> A nice way to boost AC

26 - Combustion/Erosion/Glaciation/Magnetism/Resonance +36
==> Provides a boost to the damage of your elemental spells. Any caster casting any of those spells should have something like this enhancing his/her spells.

35 - Shock
35 - Screaming
==> 1-6 points of damage for a weapon. Works against more mobs than Flaming and Frost

38 - Striding (+15%)
==> Gives a nice boost to run speed

39 - Combustion/Erosion/Glaciation/Magnetism/Resonance +48

GuntherBovine
12-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Gunthnewbie has the feat Self-Sufficient, which allows him to get the Companion enhancements. It also provides a +2 to Heal and Repair skills. I can swap that feat for the Least Dragonmark of Making, still be able to get the Companion enhancements and instead of having a +2 to Heal and Repair skills, Gunthnewbie would have +3 to all of this crafting levels. If Gunthnewbie was my first toon, I would have to talk with Lockania in the Marketplace and answer her questions correctly inside the Hall of the Mark before I can get a dragonmark. To swap the feats, I would have to go see Fred in House Jorasco to do it. For a level 3 toon, it would cost a Flawed Siberys Dragonshard (which would take 100 Siberys Dragonshard Fragments of which I have 681) and 270 plat at level 3. At level 4, it would cost 640 plat instead of 270.

So is now a good time to swap feats? The longer I wait, the more crafting xp I save by swapping feats. Right now, I can earn significant crafting xp making unbound 3/4 shards. Once it takes more expensive recipes to earn significant crafting xp, I will take a look at swapping the feats.

GuntherBovine
12-29-2012, 04:09 PM
Gunthnewbie was at 20-16-17 crafting. I needed a +2 Dexterity shard, but otherwise I really couldn't improve his gear significantly until he hit level 5, so I decided to focus on crafting unbound shards to list on the AH. I already had 2 +1 Enhancement shards and a Lesser False Life shard. The level 25 and less Arcanes were 3/4 recipes and the level 28-29 recipes were 9/12 recipes with 54% or 60% chances of failure. So for Arcane, I decided to concentrate on the +1 stat shards and then switch to Wizardry I, Natural Armor Bonus +1 and Invulnerability once the xp for the +1 stat shards dropped to less than a third of the higher level recipes.

For Divine, Power III was the first unbound shard worth making and that was level 32, 6 levels above what I currently could make. Power III also uses a Page torn from a Research Notebook, which I am going to use for Protection +1 shards. I wanted to make 100 more +1 Holy Arrows. Beyond that, I am going to make unbound 3/4 shards to deconstruct.

For Elemental, I could make the only unbound shard worth selling near my crafting level, Protection +1 with a 54% chance. I had lots of Earth Essences and I would have liked to make a slew of them, but I was constrained by having only 5 Pages torn from a Research Notebook (one required for each Protection +1 shard try and would be lost on any failure). I decide to make level 25 Elemental bane shards to decontruct to get me elemental crafting up, then try to make a Protection +1 shards 5 times, then make higher level unbound 3/4 recipes (Stunning +2, Reflex Save +2).

No crafting xp potions, so no need for a detailed crafting plan.

I crafted the following
* Bound +2 Dexterity
* Bound 100 +1 Holy Arrows
* 2 Unbound +1 Charisma
* 2 Unbound +1 Constitution
* 2 Unbound +1 Dexterity
* Unbound +1 Intelligence
* 2 Unbound +1 Strength
* 2 Unbound +1 Wisdom
* 2 Unbound Wizardry I

At this point, I was level 24 Arcane crafting and didn't have much left for Body and Mind. I could have made some Lesser Giant Bane (Level 20 3/4 Arcane), but didn't see much of a point.

I moved on to Divine:
* Unbound Lesser Orc Bane
* 2 Unbound Lesser Monstrous Humanoid Bane
* Unbound Command
* Unbound Lesser Aberration Bane
* Unbound Lesser Orc Bane
* 2 Unbound Lesser Construct Bane
* Unbound Lesser Monstrous Humanoid Bane
* Unbound Command
* Unbound Lesser Brilliance
* 2 Unbound Lesser Construct Bane

I was level 21 Divine and didn't have much Law or Divine. It seemed like a good place to stop.

I switched to Elemental:
* Unbound Vertigo +2
* Unbound Lesser Elf Bane
* Unbound Lesser Gnoll Bane
* Unbound Lesser Dwarf Bane
* Unbound Thundering
* Unbound Lesser Goblinoid Bane
* Unbound Vertigo +2
* Unbound Lesser Dwarf Bane
* Unbound Shatter +2
* Unbound Protection +1
* Unbound Protection +1
* Unbound Protection +1

I am up to level 23 Elemental. I was almost out of Air, Fire and Water, so this seemed like a good place to stop. Crafting levels 24-21-23