PDA

View Full Version : XP overhaul

rikori
12-09-2012, 03:37 AM
I played DDO open beta. Then I played on and off ever since then. One thing that has always bugged me was the XP system and how it was handled.

Basically, the root of the problem is, it's faster to blitz the same quest over and over again than it is to play any other way. I've seen multiple fixes out there, and none of them have quite solved the problem, for example:

1. Tomes of Greater Experience first time completion bonus.
2. Making traps more deadly (necessary to disarm)

My suggestion is to completely overhaul how the game handles XP in these ways.

1) The xp sheet should be programmed so that all bonus goals are earned at a certain percent of completion. Lets say, 60%, 80% and 100%.

For example,
a quest has 5 traps, 50 breakables, 1 secret door and 200 monsters.
At 3 traps, you'd earn the 8% bonus xp, at 4 traps you'd earn the 10% bonus xp, and at 5 traps you'd earn 15% bonus xp. For secret doors, you'd earn a 15% bonus just for finding the 1 secret door.

Current system,
XP bonuses are arbitrary, some quests have 1 secret door and grant you no bonus, other quests have 2 secret doors and grant you both the 8% bonus XP and the 15% bonus XP.

This would save turbine time when making quests or quest lines! An automatic system (comparing percentages vs total) is ultimately faster than having to manually (and arbitrarily) determine what # of # you have to do to get the bonuses.

Also, if Turbine needs to retroactively fix quests (say, the 200 breakables some older quests have) is too many to break, instead of having to remove the art objects from the level, they could just edit the database of what # of breakable need to be smashed. (They could say 100 is 100%).

Finally, players would feel good about getting that 1 secret door and getting some XP instead of seeing no change on the XP sheet.

2) Add an optional system to all quests that provide a little bit of XP each time you do an optional. Like, every trap and secret door is worth 50 xp (adjusted for level). Every 10 breakables is worth 50 xp (adjusted for level).

3) Add a bonus capstone that you can only earn once per quest (per difficulty, per TR). Basically, if you get 100% of each of the bonuses possible to earn (Conquest, Ingenious Debilitation, Ransacked, Vigilant Sight), you get an additional 20-50% quest XP bonus.

4) Go back and readjust older content so its XP is more in line with the rest of the quests. Like, why would I ever do a level 10 quest worth 4,000xp that takes 30 minutes because it's HUGE, when I can do another quest worth 12,000xp (that's newer) and takes 10 minutes to complete? (Nobody would, that's why 2/3rds the game content is almost never played).

Kinerd
12-09-2012, 02:13 PM
1) The xp sheet should be programmed so that all bonus goals are earned at a certain percent of completion. Lets say, 60%, 80% and 100%. I've always wondered why they didn't do this from the start. It would have to be much easier than manually setting it for every quest. Presumably the drawback is that all quests are different, and you have to go further out of your way to get X secret door vs. Y, but still.
4) Go back and readjust older content so its XP is more in line with the rest of the quests. Like, why would I ever do a level 10 quest worth 4,000xp that takes 30 minutes because it's HUGE, when I can do another quest worth 12,000xp (that's newer) and takes 10 minutes to complete? (Nobody would, that's why 2/3rds the game content is almost never played).This I unfortunately do not wonder about any more. The sad truth is that the decision makers at Turbine do not understand (or care about) the concept of XP/time or the concept of XP needed per level. A level 19 quest that gives 4k in 30 minutes is fine. A level 12 quest that gives 12k in 10 minutes is fine. Heck, just look at EN/EH/EE base xp in the same quests. When you understand that every XP number is completely arbitrary, it all makes sense. (Which also explains why it's not just older content that has lousy XP/min.)

The half-hearted, clumsy way they nerf popular XP sources is even more evidence for this. It's frustrating but shows no signs of ever changing. I therefore advise you to make your peace with it.