PDA

View Full Version : UMD and barbs

AzB
12-06-2012, 04:02 PM
I'm gonna post this here because it's more of a newbie post than a post about class specific stuff.

I am playing a barb now, and am thinking about TR'ing to another barb life at 20. After playing a pure barb to nearly 20, I'm thinking some UMD, evasion, and even some trap skills would be a lot more useful than 2 more barb levels. (This toon will TR again after the next barb level) So I'm thinking rogue at first and tenth levels.

I ran the character planner, and it's sorta doable. Barbs get no skill points, but if I use a +4 upgrade tome for int (I already have a +3) that would give me a 12 int and an extra skill point. Whee! It's just enough to put in 2 skill points for UMD, search, and disable per level. Barbs don't really need much in the way of skill points in anything else... the only skill they have is running, smashing, and dominating. In the rogue levels, there are a couple extra points left over for intim, tumble, (at least 1 point) etc.

But my question is related specifically to UMD. With only two levels of rogue, and one point per level into UMD, I'm looking at ~26-29 UMD at 18th level, assuming a +cha item of some sort. I'd like to be able to heal scroll, and possibly even res, and that's pretty close to being a useful enough number to make it happen. But how useful is that umd going to be while leveling? I'm not sure, and have no experience. I do have a +1 UMD item that's 5th level, so I assume there might be others out there, and that may help. Or is it pointless on a toon that's going to TR? (Essentially capping at 18 as it will only be lvl 20 for about 5 minutes)

Thanks for any insight.

madmaxhunter
12-06-2012, 04:16 PM
If you can hit 29, you may be okay, no fail on heal scrolls is 39. +6 charisma item and +6 charisma skill item will help. Also, you can amp it with greater heroism and skill boost for an additional +6 (and of course the Big Top, Golden Cartuche, etc).

I was thinking that if I ever TR again, I'll be a pure UMD Barb. Will be nice to self heal.

Just to make sure, you know that you will not get the +4 stat bonus until level 15, right?

Use this for reference: http://ddowiki.com/page/Use_Magic_Device

Jasparion
12-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Just because you take Rogue levels doesnt mean you need the full trapping suite of skills. Most groups who see a Rogue splash Barb will assume you are doing it for evasion, not for trapping - much like a Rogue splash Fighter. Dont join groups with 5 people saying "Trapper needed" and point out up front that you cant do traps and Im sure the groups will be fine.

I saw a pure Barb TWF last night and he did just fine. With 2 levels of Rogue and the Parasitic Breastplate you will do very well.

BTW: you said Barb doesnt get skills, but they get points 4 per level. Plenty to go for Jump, Bal, UMD. You can probably even get Intim if you want.

Gunga
12-06-2012, 04:26 PM
When cap was 20, I had an 18/2 Barb/rogue. Decent saves, evasion and no fail heal. Just go for more rages than length of rages because you'll be dismissing rage to get a heal off when you need to, then raging again.

Or, you could go full 20 and grab SFPs.

madmaxhunter
12-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Just because you take Rogue levels doesnt mean you need the full trapping suite of skills. Most groups who see a Rogue splash Barb will assume you are doing it for evasion, not for trapping - much like a Rogue splash Fighter. Dont join groups with 5 people saying "Trapper needed" and point out up front that you cant do traps and Im sure the groups will be fine.

I saw a pure Barb TWF last night and he did just fine. With 2 levels of Rogue and the Parasitic Breastplate you will do very well.

BTW: you said Barb doesnt get skills, but they get points 4 per level. Plenty to go for Jump, Bal, UMD. You can probably even get Intim if you want.

Really depends on the player, early on, if he has +5 thieves tools, always uses his skill boost and has the highest at-level trapper items, he'll get every trap, even with the gimped skill base. But I agree, later on, he might as well toss the tools.

Jasparion
12-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Really depends on the player, early on, if he has +5 thieves tools, always uses his skill boost and has the highest at-level trapper items, he'll get every trap, even with the gimped skill base. But I agree, later on, he might as well toss the tools.

I have a Rogue / Paladin set up like this. Basically his skills are good enough for trapping Normal / Hard runs - which I can do if I want the XP. Or I have the evasion / self heal ability to totally ignore them.

At Elite I let the group know to recruit a proper trapper if they want the traps done.

Jaid314
12-06-2012, 05:53 PM
yeah, for a barb... i'd ignore trap skills. pick up UMD because it's awesome, pick some other skills to invest in, and carry on with your life. i mean, you'll probably take a rogue level first anyways, so sure you can disarm for the first few levels if you want since when you get that rogue level you'll have more skill points to put into stuff than you need.

but after that, i wouldn't advise it. *maybe* go with open locks if the thought of loot left behind makes you crazy.

Lonnbeimnech
12-06-2012, 06:38 PM
You would need 12 int, or 10 on a human and a +2 int tome. Not a huge sacrifice on a 34 point build. But that means having no intim.

jortann
12-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Here is a link to my Robarian build.... http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=394469

Scroll down to post 17 to see what I finally decided to do. (And that is not all correct. I took both Cleave and Great Cleave early on. Spamming between the two is pure awesomesauce)

About trapping skills... I got full skills and its fun, especially when there is a rogue in the group. I was in a group when people started (in fun) giving the rogue cr4p for the barbarian showing him up by doing the traps. hehe

As for UMD. I used raised dead scroll in GH just last week. I'm level 15. So, yeah its worthwhile. Early on you can do fun stuff like invis, jump, blur.

good luck!

oh yeah... Evasion is worth it alone

Hellllboy
12-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Have you thought of playing a Barbarian/Bard/Rog -Ragechanter Build?

Im sure you can achieve all of your goals with that-along with some good synergy. ;)