PDA

View Full Version : Raids 101 - So how does a "newb" do it?

stefferweffer
12-03-2012, 10:53 AM
I'm level 17 and have never done one raid, and want to look into it now to (hopefully) get some better gear.

I read the Wiki articles about preparing for raids, but I don't know how to "join" a raid of other players.

It's embarrassing, but one level ago I actually entered the "Chronoscope" for about 3 minutes, by myself. Even thogh I was level 16, I had no idea what I was doing, and died when the first horde of enemies showed up. And THAT was my one experience with raiding :) Like I said, very embarrassing at my level, and humbling.

So how do I find a bunch of other players to do the raid with? Do we all need to be close to the same level, or what?

Thanks for your help :)

arminius
12-03-2012, 11:04 AM
If you're in a guild or have another similar group of "forgiving" friends then start with them. Even if a small group of less than 12, they will give you a buffer from the rest of the pug.

The other thing I would do is just be honest and say I've never done this raid and don't know what to do but am a good listener and follow directions. If a leader responds to that with "gtfo" then it wasn't a group you wanted to be in anyway.

And one more thing, there isn't anything magically different about raids, really. People repeat them a lot so some people are jaded and mechanical about it, but not everybody. In the end it's just a quest with more people in it than other quests. I actually think your going into Chronoscope alone is a good idea. It helps to demystify and demythologize the quest. I only lost my fear of the Shroud by me and a couple of equally ignorant guildies just going in there and tinkering, then getting nuked in part 4 and having a good laugh about it.

cidchronic
12-03-2012, 11:04 AM
The best thing to do is to post for a group in social panel and make sure to put that it is your first time and that you would like a guide. most people are willing to help and we love running raids for gear or favor and epic raids rock. If your in a guild, try there first, see who will help.

If all else fails, looking for a group posting for a raid you want to try and hope that the people running the raid group is understanding enough to help you through.

Keep gaming and have fun, enjoy the day

arminius
12-03-2012, 11:10 AM
One more piece of advice: If you have any doubt, look up the raid prerequisites on DDOwiki, and make sure you have them done. I think people as a whole are much, much, MUCH more forgiving of a happy newbie tooling about in their raid than someone who joins a raid group and then can't get in, and the leader says, did you do the pre-quests?, and you say, What pre-quests?

Gkar
12-03-2012, 11:15 AM
I'm guessing you either mostly solo or mostly pug or you would have already hit up your guildies/friends to take you in, so I'll say the best advice is just join.

Good first time raider raids near your level include Von5-6, The Shroud, The Reaver's Fate (GH).

The nice thing about all three of these is that they really are multi person raids, they aren't that hard to learn as you follow through and see what others are doing, and one or two weaker people in the group don't tend to matter.

So just join, and then please do let them know that it is your first time in the raid. Don't be afraid to ask questions (better that than make a silly mistake).

Bring a holy or good with silver or metaline weapon with you to The Shroud for beating on the boss in PT4 & 5, but other than that, no special equipment or experience is required for these raids beyond a willingness to listen and learn.

Good luck.

Sarzor
12-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Your best bet is to read up on the wiki about the raid so that when you join you can say "I've read up on the raid, but never run it. Any issues?"

For the most part, unless it is a group looking for something in particular, people tend to be ok with it and will either walk you through it or let you lay back a little and watch. They won't generally put you on some super-critical task, which everyone would be upset at you for having failed.

t0r012
12-03-2012, 11:39 AM
1. Look at the LFMs for a raid that you want to run.
2. Send tell to raid leader and ask if he would mind a first timer running
3a. Get get rejected(repeat steps 1&2)
3b Get accepted yeah! (continue to step4)
4. Thank leader in voice or party chat and ask if you should have any specific gear,buffs, ect. To facilitate a successful completion.
5. Do as instructed for preparation.
6. Don't be afraid to ask what you should be doing or who you should be following.
7. Complete RAID (if your lucky)
8. Be proper with your raid loot etiquette
9.thank everyone for showing you the ropes

------------

That is the format I have used for every raid I don't know from when I started. Don't expect many 3a situations , I only ever had one rejection. And that was a group just looking to get a super fast loot run completion that I wouldn't have learned in anyway.

Step 10
Start posting your own Raid LFMs and accept newbies and be kind , polite and forgiving of thier mistakes.

Pank
12-03-2012, 11:47 AM
1. Look at the LFMs for a raid that you want to run.
2. Send tell to raid leader and ask if he would mind a first timer running
3a. Get get rejected(repeat steps 1&2)
3b Get accepted yeah! (continue to step4)
4. Thank leader in voice or party chat and ask if you should have any specific gear,buffs, ect. To facilitate a successful completion.
5. Do as instructed for preparation.
6. Don't be afraid to ask what you should be doing or who you should be following.
7. Complete RAID (if your lucky)
8. Be proper with your raid loot etiquette
9.thank everyone for showing you the ropes

------------

That is the format I have used for every raid I don't know from when I started. Don't expect many 3a situations , I only ever had one rejection. And that was a group just looking to get a super fast loot run completion that I wouldn't have learned in anyway.

Step 10
Start posting your own Raid LFMs and accept newbies and be kind , polite and forgiving of thier mistakes.

6.5 Don't touch a lever, pick somethig from the ground, unless specifically instructed to do so
6.6 Don't be the first to do anything

The most important one really is tell ppl beforehand you are new, and feel amazed at how helpfull they are, because people in ddo are really helpfull, in general.

ReaperAlexEU
12-03-2012, 11:47 AM
the shroud, probably one of the best raids to start farming

to prep for the shroud you need some gear

+6 CON item (cheap enough on the AH to help get your HP up)
heavy fort (you're undead, so this one is already sorted)
a boss beater if melee (silver AND good, once again, of no import to you now on your caster)
for your caster, have the knock spell prepped

then just look for a shroud group that is happy to show you the ropes

there is a timed puzzle section, and while the time is ample its not long enough to hope for a random solve by jumping about like a nutter on the tiles. dont stress over it, if your not the puzzle sort just try to get a feeling of where you are (open map, watch the blue dots to work out if your south east for example) and ask for help. when a solver turns up to help knock the lever to let them in

if you are the sort that does puzzles read up on it here:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=376993

there are a few ways linked in there, most about how to solve it your self with links to a practice website you can use before you hit it for real.

once your room is solved help run the water and keep any eye out for anyone else who might need your knock spell to let a solver in. your leader should explain what running the water is, it's nothing technical, i just dont want to get bogged down into a whole shroud guide in this post!

but thats it, with a good leader, or someone delegated to showing you the ropes, you should get through the shroud just fine. the puzzle area is the only place you have to take some action your self, even if its just calling for help. later on as a caster you will be given more tasks to do

it is the first raid i started farming and you'll want to aim for a concordant of opposition item initially, that has a chance of turning physical damage you take (melee/ranged) into HP or SP.

once you're feet are wet look into the queen raid, that has en even better dmg to SP item, the torc. both raids are just as easy to do once you get used to them, but the shroud is probably the best one to start with. they might seem big and scary now, but after a few runs you'll get the hang of them.

toaf
12-03-2012, 11:53 AM
dont be a leroy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkCNJRfSZBU

Gkar
12-03-2012, 12:23 PM
2. Send tell to raid leader and ask if he would mind a first timer running\

Skip this step. Many people are annoyed at tells when they are trying to get ready for a raid (and they may be off having a bio, grabbing a drink, etc)

Join, then let them know in chat that you are new to the raid.

squishwizzy
12-03-2012, 01:06 PM
I'm level 17 and have never done one raid, and want to look into it now to (hopefully) get some better gear.

I read the Wiki articles about preparing for raids, but I don't know how to "join" a raid of other players.

It's embarrassing, but one level ago I actually entered the "Chronoscope" for about 3 minutes, by myself. Even thogh I was level 16, I had no idea what I was doing, and died when the first horde of enemies showed up. And THAT was my one experience with raiding :) Like I said, very embarrassing at my level, and humbling.

So how do I find a bunch of other players to do the raid with? Do we all need to be close to the same level, or what?

First, don't be embarassed. They are called "raids" for a reason. They are scaled for lots of people being in them.

Second, you missed probably one of the more frequently-run genuine newb raids during your leveling: Tempest Spine. Honsetly, I rarely see Chrono run on anything other than epic on my server. Not sure if this holds true elsewhere. However, every now and again - very rare these days - I'll see a Chrono loot run on elite. Those are generally more forgiving for a Newb as you'll get people from lvl 5 to 25 joining just for kicks. The only thing they want is the 7 or 8 chests you get at the end. And with a crowd of 12, the mobs are frickin' easy.

In at-level raids, I'd look for those that say "anyone welcome." I know on my server, Samurai Pizza Cats does a fairly regular schedule of raids both epic and heroic (known as SPC runs). You're in Shroud territory as far as levels. The only thing you *really* need to do in Shroud is the following:

1) Let the group know when you join that it will be your first Shroud. The "temperature" for you joining will be known almost immediately. Most Shrouds I've run were very accepting of new players.
2) Have smiters / construct bane weapons for part I.
3) No summons after Part I. Better safe than sorry.
3) Have a shroud puzzle solver ready for part III. If you don't know how to do the puzzle, call out immediately.
4) DO NOT break any crystals or bring any summons into Part III. Very bad.
5) If you are out of your room, go to the south chamber, run up to the face at the top of the fountain, grab a vial or lunar water, and run it to faces in puzzle rooms that are open, and don't have water streaming from their mouths.
6) The last two phases are boss fights. That part come pretty natural.

You'll probably hear this samne advice if you are a new player.

Don't join raids that say "know it." Very few of them go BYOH on my server. Your mileage may vary. When you join a raid, let them know that you are running the raid for the first time. Again, it'll give you the temperature as to the tolerence of first-time participants.

Most raids I've been on are really fun. Not a lot of drama. Most people on them have run them numerous times, and hardly no one does them for XP. So a death here or there, and the loss of 10% of 0 XP doesn't get enyone knickers in a bunch. Just be careful of the ones led by people who have a hissy fit because their cleric got Stoneskin cast on them...

moriedhel
12-03-2012, 01:31 PM
I'd actually say that depending on your class, after joining the raid and saying you're new you should mostly pike while paying attention to what happens and asking questions if necessary.

And by piking i mean don't touch switches, levers, don't pick up quest items, don't draw aggro to get yourself killed.

If you see the party moving around try to move with them, if you see them gathering on a raid boss let them build up some aggro and then start dpsing, be careful around trash though, even killing trash can put in motion events that the party might not be ready for.

The first time I did Shroud, on a bard no less, I didn't really learn anything as I was too busy just keeping buffs up and moving with the party, got a completion but didn't understand much of what happened, but it gets better with time :D

Crabo
12-03-2012, 02:17 PM

Joining a raid is exactly the same as joining a party in terms of how you use the LFM. That is how you were accidentally able to join that chrono run.

Maybe you could let us know which server you like to play on and someone could offer a little help. If you are on khyber , you are most welcome to come and do some raids with us. Its ok if you die or get lost, all part of the experience.

Dont be scared of the raids, they are very similar to party quests except there is 12 people in the party. They normally require a bit better communication than party quests (which if the raid leader is good he will have under control) so being able to hear voice instruction makes it alot better.

Bolo_Grubb
12-03-2012, 02:23 PM
6.5 Don't touch a lever, pick somethig from the ground, unless specifically instructed to do so
6.6 Don't be the first to do anything

The most important one really is tell ppl beforehand you are new, and feel amazed at how helpfull they are, because people in ddo are really helpfull, in general.

+1 to this.

Most people I have grouped with are helpful and are willing to help others learn if you speak up and say you are new to a quest or raid.

MeliCat
12-03-2012, 02:38 PM
A lot of things are done on epic these days leaving you out of seeing things like Vault of the Night. But if at all possible please stick your nose in there if a run comes up. There is a casualness about what is done when all players are very over level compared to when you are epic levels - you will make people mad if you do the same things. If you read up about the raids on ddowiki and related you should be ok.

Actually if you join any group and say 'I've read up on <name of raid>' even though you're new that puts you miles ahead.

Might be worth reading through the Khyber noobs thread for stuff not to do :D

unbongwah
12-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Some general advice:

Research the raids on the wiki first; this is a good page (http://ddowiki.com/page/Help%21_Am_I_Raid_Ready) to start from, though it doesn't contain the most recent raids. In particular, pay attention to the flagging requirements for each; no point trying to join a raid if you're not eligible for it yet.
Check the LFM panel for raid groups. PM the leader to let them know you're a newbie to see if they'll let you join. [Some groups only want experienced farmers/zergers.] Remember to ask questions if you don't know what's going on. When in doubt, stick close to the leader.
If you decide to get serious, check the server forums to see if any raiding guilds are recruiting.

Very broadly speaking, you'll encounter two types of raiding parties: those farming for XP, often at-level for Bravery Bonuses (Tempest & VON5 are popular choices); and those farming for gear, sometimes for little or no XP due to way-above-level chars in the party (Chrono and Shroud are two examples).

MeliCat
12-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Sarlona and Thelanis both have mentoring programmes which are excellent to tap into for this sort of stuff if you are on those servers.

Thelanis: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=354020

Salona: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=4208724

Charononus
12-03-2012, 03:35 PM
General rule of thumb, no summons pets in raids ever.

Mercureal
12-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Sarlona and Thelanis both have mentoring programmes which are excellent to tap into for this sort of stuff if you are on those servers.

Thelanis: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=354020

Salona: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=4208724

I'm not sure how active the Thelanis program is, but the people providing it are very knowedgeable. I know that at least one of the better players in my guild is part of it, and he's been in DDO since near the beginning.

You might also want to do a google search on <Raidname> walkthrough - there are a lot of websites run by DDO players and/or guilds, and I've seen some raid walkthroughs/discussions on those sites.

scottmike0
12-03-2012, 04:28 PM
beware for squlching people in every raid...
saved a group from a wipe in Caught in the web- epic normal-
i pulled a bow- the raid bow
asked if anyone wants to buy this off me - only trades were up...
it was on my monk

results- no one wanted to buy it off me so i just took it,,,
and apparently get squelched afterwards,,,,,
because apparebntly they say monks cannot use the bow..
which is ironic because all i do is have to click it.. and im uaing it..

(just remember there are people who are jealous in raids and aviod them sometimes)

Anthios888
12-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Generally, practice makes perfect. But it can help a lot to know what's going on, because most raids fly by quickly with different roles getting split up. Here's a raid guide posted by Grieve that I hope you'll find helpful. (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=366930)

sirgog
12-03-2012, 04:55 PM
Run them on a lower difficulty setting.

Every raid except Caught In The Web, The Master Artificer and Tower of Despair has at least one very forgiving setting. (ToD isn't hard but even on Normal you need a raid-specific item, the Boots of Anchoring)

Important note: Lord of Blades is easier on Epic Normal than on Heroic Normal (LOB's stats are so low on EN it isn't really funny). The opposite is true for The Master Artificer where on EN the boss stats are very low but there are dangerous epic-only additional mobs and death effects.

MeliCat
12-03-2012, 05:21 PM
I'm not sure how active the Thelanis program is, but the people providing it are very knowedgeable. I know that at least one of the better players in my guild is part of it, and he's been in DDO since near the beginning.

You might also want to do a google search on <Raidname> walkthrough - there are a lot of websites run by DDO players and/or guilds, and I've seen some raid walkthroughs/discussions on those sites.

Doesn't hurt at the very least to get and use the use channel information from these programmes - raids often form from there as well as helpful discussion about all sorts of topics and a place to ask questions.

Use the ddowiki to help setup if you've never used a userchannel before.

bibimbap
12-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Skip this step. Many people are annoyed at tells when they are trying to get ready for a raid (and they may be off having a bio, grabbing a drink, etc)

Join, then let them know in chat that you are new to the raid.

I disagree, if you send the raid leader a tell and let them know they will often take you anyways and if they're a good raid leader they will teach you. At least thats my experience...

But in general as long as they know you are new or uncomfortable you are safe, if they aren't well.. you dont wanna raid with em anyhow :)

bibimbap
12-03-2012, 09:58 PM

We are very active :) and raids are frequently posted... there are raids mon weds fri and sun!

EllisDee37
12-04-2012, 12:53 AM
Shroud first, I'd say. Join any shroud LFM for hard or normal (not elite) and once accepted post that it's your first time and would like to learn.

As long as you have well over 300 hp, your aura and evasion (plus negative energy burst!) should keep you up during the harry fight in part 4. If you're closer to 300 than 400, maybe wait a couple levels.

Most other raids nowadays are epic, meaning you can't join them until you're level 20 or higher.

HOWEVER, non-epic ADQ is a solo-fest for wizards. If you try to solo it right now you'll likely fail; it takes a few tries to figure it out. But it absolutely can be soloed on heroic normal (heroic casual for the pre-raid) with little effort once you know what you're doing. And each 20th completion gets you a (my guess, total WAG) 40% chance at a torc so it's time well spent.

sirgog
12-04-2012, 01:05 AM
Shroud first, I'd say. Join any shroud LFM for hard or normal (not elite) and once accepted post that it's your first time and would like to learn.

As long as you have well over 300 hp, your aura and evasion (plus negative energy burst!) should keep you up during the harry fight in part 4. If you're closer to 300 than 400, maybe wait a couple levels.

Most other raids nowadays are epic, meaning you can't join them until you're level 20 or higher.

HOWEVER, non-epic ADQ is a solo-fest for wizards. If you try to solo it right now you'll likely fail; it takes a few tries to figure it out. But it absolutely can be soloed on heroic normal (heroic casual for the pre-raid) with little effort once you know what you're doing. And each 20th completion gets you a (my guess, total WAG) 40% chance at a torc so it's time well spent.

Fair warning tho - heroic elite ADQ 1 and 2 (especially 1) have been made quite a bit tougher. Start with heroic normal or epic normal or epic hard.

EllisDee37
12-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Fair warning tho - heroic elite ADQ 1 and 2 (especially 1) have been made quite a bit tougher. Start with heroic normal or epic normal or epic hard.I run it on heroic normal. I consider the droprate in chests 0%, so the only time I expect to have any shot at gear I want (torc, consort bracers, etc...) is on 20th lists. Those are unaffected by difficulty, so heroic normal (IMO) is the same as any other difficulty for loot, just faster.