PDA

View Full Version : Make evenstar commendations and eveningstar challenge ing BTA

MRMechMan
11-29-2012, 10:36 PM
Title says it all.

Really frustrating getting extra comms/ings on a favorite character and only being able to use them for GH/haste pots and +25 alch spellpower pots. Apple cider? Barkskin pots? You kidding me?

I like the concept of commendations. I like a lot of items you can get for them. Having them pile up in one characters inventory that they are useless for, and then having to farm them on another character is silly.

I like some of the challenge items. But it requires running DOZENS and DOZENS of 'em, having to do it all on one character is stupid, stupid. The payout rate is really terrible, also.

Raid loot being BTC makes sense. That is a whole, finished, useable product. It encourages raid flagging for alts and character development. When you are getting 10% or 5% of an item at a time, making each of those parts BTC doesn't make any sense.

Imagine if seals/shards were BTC? How many epic items would people have? That is 1/4 or 1/3 of an item, and the challenge ing/comms are even smaller parts.

If you aren't comfortable with a 1:1 ratio, maybe make 2 of any commendation (BTC)=1 commendation of eveningstar (BTA)=1 of any commendation (BTC)...

...so at least alts can get 1/2 of the commendation love. Better than having them stack up on characters that they are useless for.

I understand that some loot should be BTC to encourage running content on those characters. But, people are not going to flag for eveningstar because of commendations...they are gonna do that anyway, and more, to flag for the raid. And challenge ing being BTC is even more absurd.

The ED grind discourages alts already. The loot policy in eveningstar doesn't need to be equally punative.

DrNuegebauer
11-29-2012, 10:48 PM
Separate the 2 issues!

The is NO REASON for eveningstar challenge INGs to be BTC. It's ridiculous! All other challenge INGS are BTA - and so should the eveningstar ones be.

This is a no-brainer and should be done yesterday. Why is there even the hint of a delay????

As for commendations - well I agree, make them BTA. What's the harm?

LordMond63
11-30-2012, 02:16 PM
Compromise:

You can already trade commendations you have for commendations you need at a rate of 3:1. Why not make the commendations you trade for BtA? Assuming that Turbine wants you to experience their new content (over and over and over again, it seems), this will still compel you to do so. The only drawback that I see is it will allow you to do so with only one character, so the others will get the benefit of the new loot from the get-go rather than having to earn it.

CaptainSpacePony
11-30-2012, 04:21 PM

I'm not sure where I stand on this, but I'll play Devil's Advocate to answer your question:

-The commendation rewards are ML 20. Many of the them are VERY good for ML 20. A 1st life toon will probably be lvl 22 or so before they have enough commendations to redeem. Also sharing commendations between characters vastly speeds up getting the desired items. Putting these changes in place may require commendation drops to become as rare as Abbot or Reaver seals--or even more rare since raid timers prevent those from being farmed.

-Almost all classic epic named loot was BtC. Much of the new named epic (and some random) loot is BtC. Commendations=epic named items therefore BtC.

-Commendations are somewhat like favor rewards. Favor is all tied directly to a given character and can't be shared, so by the same token, sharing of commendations makes no sense.

DrNuegebauer
11-30-2012, 04:31 PM
I'm not sure where I stand on this, but I'll play Devil's Advocate to answer your question:

-The commendation rewards are ML 20. Many of the them are VERY good for ML 20. A 1st life toon will probably be lvl 22 or so before they have enough commendations to redeem. Also sharing commendations between characters vastly speeds up getting the desired items. Putting these changes in place may require commendation drops to become as rare as Abbot or Reaver seals--or even more rare since raid timers prevent those from being farmed.

Sure - it speeds up the getting of desired items. But that's all it does. Is there a rule in place which suggests that if you have a level 25 main toon, you must grind out 3 quest chains to get enough things to trade in?
I see the villager etc commendations as comparable to the relics in gianthold. Which you can pass between toons (heck, even sell on the AH) and get nice at level loot for new toons.

You have a point re: abbott/ reaver seals - but I would equate these to the heroism commendations (which are quite rare aren't they?). Again, these commendations can ONLY be used to upgrade BTC loot, so where is the harm in sharing them across the account (a la the reaver/ abbott seals).

-Almost all classic epic named loot was BtC. Much of the new named epic (and some random) loot is BtC. Commendations=epic named items therefore BtC.

Commendations (of heroism) are more like seals/shards for upgrading, surely? Seals/shards (and scrolls) are epic item augments, and none are BTC.

-Commendations are somewhat like favor rewards. Favor is all tied directly to a given character and can't be shared, so by the same token, sharing of commendations makes no sense.

This is the only part that makes sense here - however favour REWARDS are the things specific to individual toons (in all other areas of the game), so why now make commendations a favour equivalence! It's not consistent with the way the rest of the game works.

Surely they need to be BTA as well?

(again, the challenge ingredients is a no-brainer, fix it yesterday)

CaptainSpacePony
11-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Good answers DrNuegebauer. I think the arguments you and I presented are equally vaild. IMO it is a subjective decision which could be made either way.

OFC I did not address the challenge mats because I agree. It is very hard to get a good balanced party with BtC mats since some stuff has zero use for certain classes. I wasn't the 1st to bring it up, but it was included on my Easy Bucket List for Devs http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=400066 (shameless thread plug).

MarQuileth
11-30-2012, 04:42 PM

Don't like it but gotta agree with all the above. Maybe the devs should add tiers to the items given with comms. For instance tier 1 would be the initial item. Tier 2 would raise the level of that item by 1, increase certain properties of the item and would require twice as many comms as the previous tier...and so on up to teir 5 (lvl 25 item). Yes eventually the comms would start stacking up again but this should take awhile and at least you would have some ubber gear to show for it.

AmiSouthpaw
03-18-2013, 11:02 AM
Don't like it but gotta agree with all the above. Maybe the devs should add tiers to the items given with comms. For instance tier 1 would be the initial item. Tier 2 would raise the level of that item by 1, increase certain properties of the item and would require twice as many comms as the previous tier...and so on up to teir 5 (lvl 25 item). Yes eventually the comms would start stacking up again but this should take awhile and at least you would have some ubber gear to show for it.

I have to agree with the meaning of this post and that is to make the challenge mats and comms bta and not btc for eveningstar. As for the tier IMO ****NO. That is one of the things that threw me off of the Cove I hated farming the cove for the shards to make items then to turn around and do it over again just to tier the items. I have so many of the comms that I can not use on one toon that I am tempted of tossing them because they take up space in a bag that i can use for ing for other useful less of a hassle things.

Why nor make the comms bta only not to where they can be placed on the AH for ridiculous amounts of plat that is a big turn off to the ah for wants and restricting to a absolute need for some that wait till a cheaper one is placed on the AH....yes I am one that will undercut on the AH, i know someone is probablly buying it to turn around and sell for exhorbant amounts of plat oO go figure.

But another issue on comms in eveningstar that was not touched was the fact that most of the chests in the quests have a chance to drop a comm or two but i have ransacked the druids deep chain and only seen them offered as endreward....i say make the ES Comms BTA and fix the challenge mats to reflect the other mats until then know that there are a large amount of people that do not vent on forums are cursing the new content for this reason

danzig138
03-18-2013, 01:39 PM
As much as I dislike things being bound, especially with the dramatic increase in that mechanic, it would be really stupid for Eveningstar Commendations to be unbound or account bounds. Those are specifically for deeds that character has accomplished. The actual physical commendations are simply a representation of what I imagine to be in actuality, reputation. It was just easier to implement with something you actually collect. So, no, commendations should continue to be bound to character. Save what you have for your next life.

Eveningstar challenge rewards, OTOH, are clearly an old, mostly out of use hard currency that should be completely unbound. Want to throw a stack on the AH? You should be able to do that.

undercover69
03-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Separate the 2 issues!

The is NO REASON for eveningstar challenge INGs to be BTC. It's ridiculous! All other challenge INGS are BTA - and so should the eveningstar ones be.

This is a no-brainer and should be done yesterday. Why is there even the hint of a delay????

I whole-heartedly agree on both accounts (pun intended). This way I can play however gives me the most fun. And the more I play the more I spend.