PDA

View Full Version : Challenge idea

Ghwyn
11-27-2012, 08:59 PM
I have an idea for challenges that would test skills and abilities of characters. These challenges would be solo in nature. Each challenge would test different types of skill sets like trap finding on rogues and tanking ability on melee.

The first Dungeons and Dragons movie gave me this idea, where the rogue takes on the mechanical challenge full of traps. Imagine a rogue going into a room where he must find and disable traps. Each section getting progressively harder and timed so that spot, search, unlock, evasion, and disable all must high. A rating would be given depending upon the progress.

Casters could be tested in crowd control in one section, insta kill in another, and all out firepower in the last.

Clerics could be tested by healing a tank, then a group, and against undead.

Melees can find out how well they tank, or how hard they can hit.

Getting a high score would be the goal, and I could see many people wanting to see how well they could do, and different strategies to use. A top scores list for each server would add to the competitive nature.

Chaos000
11-27-2012, 09:40 PM
The crucible kind of does that in a sense... when epic gianthold gets rolled out I wouldn't be surprised if it will test players in epic elite.

Silverwren
11-28-2012, 01:11 PM
I like the idea.

What kind of a reward system, if any, would there be? If it's more mats to grind for craft-able loot, I'm not too keen on that. We already are overloaded with those. I could get behind random loot based on level though.

droid327
11-29-2012, 07:56 PM
Well the rogue one wouldnt work...higher ratings dont make your progress bar progress any faster; if it was JUST about trapping, you'd just equip some gloves/goggles/etc. with as much +disable and +search and +open as you can, and then you'd either have a high enough rating, or you wouldnt. The only difference would be how fast you can click your buttons.

You shouldnt do it by class, though...it should just be by role. Not all rogues are trappers, ie, and conversely some people may be trappers even though they only have a 2 level rogue splash. You could break it down as the "trap mission", the "single-target combat mission", the "swarm combat mission", the "healing mission", etc. Though, really, there's a lot of variation and iterations and you're never going to be able to please everyone; there's always going to be a rogue-splashed WF sorc who wants a mission focused on trapping and construct heals :)