PDA

View Full Version : Are all these low level bound to character items just "trash"?

stefferweffer
11-27-2012, 09:00 AM
As many of you know my first life main is a 14/2 Human "Pale Trapper", whom I very much enjoy.

But I recently reached an inventory buildup problem, and the items in questions take a few different forms.

1) "Blue" (unique maybe?) "Bound to account" items. I get these either at the end of quests or in treasure chests. I can't sell them in the AH. The problem is that most/all of these items up to this point in my career are pretty lame, as far as their stats go. I can buy much better gear for that particular slot in the AH. At least on these items I can place them in my shared bank. Should these just be sold?
2) "Blue bound to character" items. These are even more annoying, because I can't drop them in the bank OR sell them OR trade/mail them to someone else. Again, these are either from chests at the end of quests, or maybe quests rewards (I frankly don't remember). Although I'm thinking they are most likely chests, since I don't see myself choosing an item like this as a quest reward. Are a lot of these items just worthless vendor trash also?
3) Various "Bound to character" non-gear items. These are not collectables, because those would go into the huge bag I bought with points. Instead, these fill up my regular inventory slots and I have NO IDEA what they are for. I think some of them might have been things that I needed for quests, but then they never got removed from my inventory? Is that possible? I have been everywhere I can and no one is waiting to reward me for anything, so they are not forgotten quests. They are a random hodge-podge of things like "The totem of X" or "Seal of X", etc. And, annoyingly, they are all "Bound to character" and say absolutely nothing about what I am supposed to do with them. I'm wondering if they are ingredients to something more powerful, but how would I know that?

Please let me know if there is a site/link that lists some of these items, and what they are used for. Thanks for your help, as always.

TrinityTurtle
11-27-2012, 09:08 AM
1) If they are pointless to you or any alts you have, why would you be keeping them? Sell then to a vender, take the coins, and move on.

2) YOu can put them in your personal bank if you think you may need some of this stuff in case of tr, but not the shared. However if not, see answer number one.

3) Sometimes quest junk gets left in your inventory. The book from delera's part two, the xorian cypher, and that thing from Korthos are all notorious for it.

As for a site that list pretty much everything important, ddowiki.com

FestusHood
11-27-2012, 09:09 AM
Just toss or sell to a vendor the bound gear that you don't want, you'll get way more of that than you can hold.

The other bound items, sometimes, yes, you hang on to useless quest specific items in your inventory. The ones that first come to mind are the books in the haunted library, and the book you get at the end of xorian cipher. Just toss em.
Oh, and that scroll case you get back in Korthos from the storehouse's secret. I remember hanging on to that for quite a while before someone told me it was safe to junk it.

P.S. as far as looking up any specific item in ddo, i just google ddo and the name of the item. The first entry is almost always the ddo wiki, as Trinity mentions above. It's pretty tough to stump the wiki.

Count.Strahd
11-27-2012, 09:13 AM
You can find a list of such items on http://ddowiki.com/page/Obsolete_quest_items

EarlofPain
11-27-2012, 09:18 AM
Bound to account stuff....
If you have another character that can use it, including a favor runner character that will be deleted the second you hit 100 favor points, then it's worth keeping.

Bound to character stuff....
If you are going to TR the character again it is nice to have some stuff sitting in the bank waiting for him/her. The key to the keep/toss idea is the minimum level. A banishing longsword at level 8 is a lot nicer than a banishing weapon of your choice you can't use until level 14. If you don't see yourself looking forward to using it then it's vendor trash.

Bound to character what the hell is this stuff...
Yeah sometimes you end up with things from a quest that you don't really even need in the quest. It's worthless so feel free to toss it in the trash.

Bound to character stuff and I'm going to keep this character and never TR him/her.
Everything is **** until you are loaded up on the "perfect" gear set. Even greensteel/raid loot is a stepping stone until you get that one thing you wanted. Sell it or toss it in the garbage.

cidchronic
11-27-2012, 11:14 AM
1) "Blue" (unique maybe?) "Bound to account" items. I get these either at the end of quests or in treasure chests. I can't sell them in the AH. The problem is that most/all of these items up to this point in my career are pretty lame, as far as their stats go. I can buy much better gear for that particular slot in the AH. At least on these items I can place them in my shared bank. Should these just be sold?

BHound to account random generated gear is great for crafting, you can craft bound higher then unbound, so if you craft and have shared bank, you can make bound gear that your alts can use. i spend a bit of time gather BtA gear for this purpose. hope this helps good luck today

Jingwei
11-29-2012, 12:12 AM
'Bound' shards are BTA, so you can pass them in the shared bank, and then ave your alt make btc gear with them. You don't need a BTA blank for that.

But what BTA blanks are good for is stuff that you'd pass around to low level alts that you don't want to bother to make again.

For example, I make a BTA ring into a ring of heavy fortification, so now I can pass it to any low level alt that needs heavy fort, and I don't have to pay the refined shard and special mat cost every time I want a crafted ring of heavy fort.

Sarzor
11-29-2012, 08:23 AM
There are very few items I keep from the low levels. About the only major one is the archivist's necklace. A ML:0 free-sp item is pretty sweet for those levels, and you don't need to run MP to get it again. This leaves me the ability to use the once-per-life item from MP to be anger's wrath. You usually don't need it until you get it, and the +2 to hit is pretty nice.

Other than that there isn't a whole lot under 4 (where you get the stalwart/cunning necklace) or 5 (where you get chronoscope gear and the voice of the master).

Also, those levels are so easy you don't need a whole lot.

Loromir
11-29-2012, 09:17 AM
Most of the low level named stuff I vendor right away. There are a few exceptions however. If it is bound to account there are a few things worth hanging on to. The first that comes to mind .... Carnifex from the Delera's chain. It is an ML4 Great Axe with 17-20 threat range (Very Powerful Weapon for low levels) It is hard to find a better weapon than this before level 10 and some people use it right up until acquiring greensteel.

Another nice item for lower levels is Maelstrom (Another nice Great Axe with an ML2 I think). All of the Chronoscope Named Items are worth Hanging on to. I like to get two or three sets of the Anger Step boots from Korthos for the Expeditious retreat clickie as well as the Archivist's Neckalce. From Tangleroot, the Visor of Flesh Render Guards is useful even by epic toon (Deathward Clickie).

There may be others, but these are the items that quickly come to mind.

If you don't plan to TR or roll up other toons, you might just want to vendor everything once you out grow them.

BOgre
11-29-2012, 09:36 AM
Just about everything in your inventory that you are 'so-so' about can go. Vendor or Destroy. There's stuff I've desperately hung on to for 2 lives that have just sat and sat and pi$$ed me off no end.

If it's something you absolutely MUST have for your next life, fine, otherwise forget you ever saw it. :)

EllisDee37
12-01-2012, 03:09 AM
3) Various "Bound to character" non-gear items. These are not collectables, because those would go into the huge bag I bought with points. Instead, these fill up my regular inventory slots and I have NO IDEA what they are for. I think some of them might have been things that I needed for quests, but then they never got removed from my inventory? Is that possible? I have been everywhere I can and no one is waiting to reward me for anything, so they are not forgotten quests. They are a random hodge-podge of things like "The totem of X" or "Seal of X", etc. And, annoyingly, they are all "Bound to character" and say absolutely nothing about what I am supposed to do with them. I'm wondering if they are ingredients to something more powerful, but how would I know that?If you own the Demon Sands pack and have run the flagging quests, you end up with very important "inventory garbage" that needs to be turned in to Zawabi to complete your raid flagging. My first life I destroyed it, assuming it was just more of the seemingly endless junk that doesn't properly get dropped when exiting a quest. This was extra annoying because those flagging quests took forever when I was new to them.

Restless Isles also has raid flagging items masquerading as inventory junk.

Outsider Tokens can be tossed out, but Planar Shards are worth keeping.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Will post back if I remember any more.