PDA

View Full Version : Thaumaturgy staff - PM Lvl 5

Falvicar27
11-23-2012, 09:10 AM
I was wondering what type of staff should I buy or craft as of right now i have 1 level of rogue and 4 levels of wiz. I am looking for a decent staff right now but cant seem to find many good ones on the AH,.

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks! :)

Mercureal
11-23-2012, 09:20 AM
You can't craft Thaumaturgy, unfortunately, and unless you have lots of spare essences, it's not worth crafting any spellpower items right now anyway, since they'll be weak and you'll quickly outlevel them.

It's probably not worth going to a lot of trouble to buy one right now for the same reason - but if you're going to, I'd look at the damage spells you use, or will use, most often and buy accordingly. Have you invested any Enhancement points into any spellpower lines? If so, build on that by getting equipment boosting the same types of spells. If you haven't, I'd suggest that you do so soon, reset your Enhancements if you have to. Fire is a good pick around this level, since you have scorching ray at spell level 2 and fireball at 3.

Falvicar27
11-23-2012, 09:29 AM
You can't craft Thaumaturgy, unfortunately, and unless you have lots of spare essences, it's not worth crafting any spellpower items right now anyway, since they'll be weak and you'll quickly outlevel them.

It's probably not worth going to a lot of trouble to buy one right now for the same reason - but if you're going to, I'd look at the damage spells you use, or will use, most often and buy accordingly. Have you invested any Enhancement points into any spellpower lines? If so, build on that by getting equipment boosting the same types of spells. If you haven't, I'd suggest that you do so soon, reset your Enhancements if you have to. Fire is a good pick around this level, since you have scorching ray at spell level 2 and fireball at 3.

I have the spellpower lines actually. :) I had some help from people on the forums on how to build my character. I am currently using scorching ray a lot so i was looking for fire spellpower.

If you dont think those staves are worth getting what type of weapon should I be using then?

Thanks for the reply!

EDIT: I have TONS of crafting items and essences since I deleted a ton of low level toons.

Falvicar27
11-23-2012, 09:38 AM
I really do have a lot of essences and such to craft some gear. What type of gear should I be stacking? Do the spellpowers stack? Sorry, I am just at a loss right now as to what gear I should be looking to get at this level.

Like boots, rings, gloves, etc.

Thanks again for the help.

Mercureal
11-23-2012, 10:51 AM
If you don't mind using the resources you have (essences, plat) then you can certainly buy or craft something. My main point was that you can use more the power of the equipment you can use will go up each time you level up, and from where you are you can level up fairly quickly. So, I don't think it's a great use of time to try to get the best level 5 equipment available, because it will become obsolete in a few levels. And because you don't need the best gear to get through the lower levels, they're not extremely challenging.

As a quick overview for spellpower equipment, bonuses of the same type don't stack - a good description of the different types is on the wiki here: http://ddowiki.com/page/Spell_Power.

Generally, the items you'll find will give you an Implement Bonus and an Equipment Bonus - those will stack. But if you have an item that gives you +36 Equipment Bonus and another item that gives you +24 Equipment Bonus, you only get 36 (the highest), not 60 (the sum).

In terms of general effects you want from your equipment, I'd say to look for the following:

- Intelligence boost ( I think you can get +3 at level 5 from some specific quest items or from crafted equipment)
- Constitution boost
- Spell point bonus (items of "Power" or "Wizardry")
- HP bonus (items of some tier of "False Life")
- Striding (to get around a bit quicker)
- Spellpower of whatever type of damage spell you cast most often

You can get or craft just about all of those effects on rings, since they're meant to be flexible equipment. Otherwise, Int. mostly comes on hats and goggles, Con. on necklaces and belts, spell point bonuses on weapons, hats and armour, HP bonus on belts, striding on boots and spell power bonuses on weapons and hats. There will be some exceptions to this for named items you can get in quests, but that's mostly what you'll see on randomly generated items.

Falvicar27
11-23-2012, 10:59 AM
Awesome thanks for the reply. Ill keep all that in mind. I only used my crafting items to level it up and not to craft much of anything. I'll keep a look out for these items.

Thanks again!

Therrias
11-23-2012, 11:03 AM
Chronoscope gear is the best at that level if you insist on twinkage.

Falvicar27
11-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Chronoscope gear is the best at that level if you insist on twinkage.

Where can I find that?

sk3l3t0r
11-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Where can I find that?

information here: http://ddowiki.com/page/The_Chronoscope

DDO WIKI is your best friend when just starting out, it's been a great resource for me to look up information.

Mercureal
11-23-2012, 12:11 PM
I wouldn't suggest trying to tackle Chronoscope right now for gear, unless you're part of a decent guild. It's a 12-person raid, and it's fairly challenging at-level, particularly for a new and under-equipped player.

It's just an opinion, but I think at these levels all you need is some basic gear, which you can get from the AH, through crafting, or even find in quests. I'd focus more on getting familiar with the game, learning how to play more effectively, and just getting comfortable with the mechanics. You don't need to worry too much about gear until you hit the more challenging quests starting around level 12 or so.

Kinerd
11-23-2012, 06:42 PM
Just get any Thaumaturgy staff you can find. They all have Potency, and the difference between the Potency and the specific elements is very small at your level.

Just grabbing stuff while you quest will do you fine. Keep in mind that any staff of sufficiently higher ML will always be better than the perfect staff of sufficiently lower ML: look at the exact values you'll get, element and Potency don't stack.

EllisDee37
11-24-2012, 01:16 PM
I'm guessing you have two primary elemental damage lines you focus on, and sounds like fire is your main. Try to find an ML4 (and ML6, ML8, etc...) thaumaturgy staff as follows:

First thing to get:
Combustion
Any other element
Any lore

Upgrade that to:
Combustion
Your secondary element (eg: glaciation, corrosion, or magnetism)
Any lore

And finally:
Combustion
Your secondary element
Fire Lore (or lore of your secondary element)

sirgog
11-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Just get any Thaumaturgy staff you can find. They all have Potency, and the difference between the Potency and the specific elements is very small at your level.

Just grabbing stuff while you quest will do you fine. Keep in mind that any staff of sufficiently higher ML will always be better than the perfect staff of sufficiently lower ML: look at the exact values you'll get, element and Potency don't stack.

This. Anything will be good enough.

At high level, Potency can be as much as 40 points of spellpower behind single-element boosts, but at 6th level IIRC it's the difference between 32 and 48.

Alternately get a Combustion stick and a Corrosion stick (any suffix as spell crits are only a small bonus at low level) as your best spells by far at low level are Fireball, Acid Blast, Wall of Fire and Acid Rain. (In the opposite order to that).

Falvicar27
11-24-2012, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the replies all.

Now I have a question about those staves.

Does the potency stack with the Corrosion/combustion spellpower or not?

Kinerd
11-25-2012, 12:20 PM
They do not.