PDA

View Full Version : Feats for noobs

Hedvald
11-23-2012, 08:10 AM
Can somebody explain the feat system? Please.

I am a Human Fighter (Stalwart Soldier). I found a page telling me what levels I learn various feats...

http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Path:Stalwart_Soldier_%28Human_Profile%29

But how does someone who chose a custom build know when they will receive feats? I see builds where people chose what feats they get and I don't understand.

Thanks for any help

Dandonk
11-23-2012, 08:15 AM
Wiki: http://ddowiki.com/page/Feats

All characters get a feat at level 1, and then at 3rd, 6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, 18th, 21st and 24th level. Some feats have prerequisites in terms of Base Attack Bonus, other feats, class levels, casting ability, stat scores and probably other things I forget atm.
Some classes grant bonus feats in addition to the above-mentioned feats. Fighters, e.g., get bonus feats at 1st level fighter, and then at every even fighter level from there.

Kmnh
11-23-2012, 08:16 AM
Fighter feats at even levels (2,4,6, and so on until 20)

Any feat at levels 3,6,9,12,15,18,21 and 24.

FrozenNova
11-23-2012, 10:47 AM
The epic level feats (21 and 24) are unique in that they can slot epic feats, as well as the regular feats.

Ryiah
11-23-2012, 12:31 PM
But how does someone who chose a custom build know when they will receive feats?

All players get feat slots at levels 1, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, and 18 along with Epic feat slots at levels 21 and 24. Class feat slots are shown on their class pages on the DDOWiki in the Advancement Table. For example Fighters get Fighter Bonus Feats at Fighter levels 1, 2, and every even Fighter level after that.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Fighter

Goodheals
11-23-2012, 09:12 PM
Fun fact, Human Fighter gets the most feat picks the game!

To elaborate, when you level up as any character, you get a feat at level 1, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15 and 18.

Humans get a free bonus feat at level 1, as a racial bonus.

Fighters get special feats that they can choose from a list of about 30 options at level 1 and then every even level (2, 4, 6 ect.) On levels like 6 where they overlap you get to pick 2 feats that level.

Some other classes get bonus feats as well, such as Wizards get bonus feats every 5 levels for magic abilities.

By picking the Stalwart Defender path, I believe the game automatically picks feats for you. This is fine for a new player, and my understanding is whenever you want you can choose to stop following the games autoselect and pick your own feats. You can also re-train feats by talking to a nice chap named Fred in House Jorasco, should you learn you dislike a feat that was picked.

Jingwei
11-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Even more in depth explanation:

Terminology I'll use:

General feat: this is a place where you can pick any feat that you qualify for.

Epic feat: these are the feats you can choose at level 21 and 24.
Example: Overwhelming Critical

Bonus feats: these are feats granted by levels in a specific class, and your choice is restricted by the specifics of that class.
Example: Monks get bonus 'martial arts' feats, which allow you to pick from a list.

Not really feats at all: these are things that use the 'feat' UI, but only allow you to pick things that don't normally appear on the feat list.
Example: Favored soul elemental resistances.

------------

Every character gets to pick from the list of general feats at the following levels:

1, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18

So, most characters have 7 general feats

-----------

Next, every character gets to pick from the epic or general feat list at levels 21 and 24.
Epic feats are usually more powerful than general feats, so it's usually better to take epics feats, if you can.

----------

Humans
Humans get an extra general feat at level 1.

---------

Bonus Feats:
Several classes give bonus feats at certain levels, with the feat selection limited based on the class.

Fighter
At levels 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20
Picked from Fighter Bonus feat list (http://ddowiki.com/page/Category:Fighter_bonus_feats)

Monk
At levels 1, 2, 6
Picked from Martial Arts feat list (http://ddowiki.com/page/Martial_arts_feats)

Wizard
At levels 1, 5, 10, 15, 20
Picked from Wizard bonus feat list (http://ddowiki.com/page/Wizard_bonus_feats)

Artificer
At levels 4, 8, 12, 16, 20
Picked from Artificer Bonus feat list (http://ddowiki.com/page/Artificer#Artificer_Bonus_Feats)

-----------

Lastly, some classes get feats automatically granted at certain levels.
A big difference in the automatically granted feats is that you don't have to meet the feat prerequisites first.

So, for example, a ranger is automatically granted the two weapon fighting feat at level 2. If another character wanted to use one of their general feat choices to get two weapon fighting, they'd need a minimum dexterity of 15. But, since the ranger is granted the feat automatically, then can have a dexterity of 8 and are still granted two weapon fighting and get all of it's benefits.

-------------------

Now, we'll look at a rough outline of a character to show how it all fits together:

We'll look at a character who'll eventually be human cleric 18/ monk 2

Their level progression will look like:
Level 1: Monk
Level 2-7: Cleric
Level 8: Monk
Level 9 - 20: Cleric

So, the character gets feats at the following levels:

1 General feat, General feat (from being human), Martial arts feat (from Monk level 1)
3 General Feat
6 General Feat
8 Martial arts feat (from Monk level 2)
9 General Feat
12 General Feat
15 General Feat
18 General Feat
21 Epic (or general) Feat
24 Epic (or general) Feat

Todkaninchen
11-26-2012, 05:08 PM
One other tip...

If you are picking feats for the pre-requisites for a prestige or for other feats (like some of the mobility/dodge/etc. chain), open your character sheet window and go to either feats (for feat pre-req's) or enhancements. At the bottom, select unavailable. This will show you all of the possible feats/enhancements for your character including those you don't qualify for yet. If you mouse over the feat or enhancement, it will tell you what the pre-req's are.

By doing this, you can check the feats you'll need on your character sheet as you pick them in the trainer's window...

Good luck!

susiedupfer
11-27-2012, 10:04 AM
OK, you took a pre-built path when you made your character. That means your feats and enhancements are pretty much chosen for you. If you customize when you build a character(toon), you get to choose your feats and enhancements. This is why you did not get to choose, and the custom builds do. You can tell the trainer you do not want to stay on the path if you want to customize from here on.

brian14
12-18-2012, 01:47 PM
deleted

dterror
12-18-2012, 03:05 PM
You can also re-train feats by talking to a nice chap named Fred in House Jorasco, should you learn you dislike a feat that was picked.

I believe the 1 free lesser reincarnation is still available from the reincarnation druid in House J as well...so if you find you took several feats that you want to switch out for something else, you can do them all at once with the free LR. On a side note, the free LR would also let you reassign your stat points, skill points, and redo your toon's looks.