PDA

View Full Version : Bring the old armors back!

pelaaja
11-21-2012, 03:19 PM
It's been now 2 updates after Druids came into DDO. And still, druids don't benefit at all from their medium armor proficiency because they removed the only non-steel medium armor in the game: Hide armor.

Also, they removed the best light armor in the game: Studded Leather armor. Where did that go? It seems that nowadays the only light armor is either a chain shirt or leather armor.

Bring back the old armors back! Even though there weren't that much of use pre-U14, now that there are druids around, and now that armor actually means something, I think it's time for them to come back!

The armors I'm talking about are these:

- Padded armor (highest DEX modifier of all armours)
- Studded Leather Armor (best light armor in the terms of AC)
- Hide armor (only non-steel medium armor)
- Banded Mail

Although I still don't know how to implement very well requested armor types into game because of PRR issue (Mithral and Darkwood[in armors]), I wouldn't see a reason to get them back into game, too. Give them the same PRR they'd normally have, but let them be in lighter category. It seems to be most logical solution to this issue.

Feedback and suggestions welcome!

shadereaper33
11-21-2012, 03:26 PM
I agree that one of the medium armors should have a non-metal alternative, I really don't think that adding all of those other armor types back into the game is the right answer. Under the old system, there was what, 3 or 4 different armor types that were actually used?

SiliconScout
11-21-2012, 03:46 PM
True but under the new system all might be.

Why? Well the old system was simply pure AC and if you weren't building for that then it was the effect on the armor and who cares if it's full plate or PJ's.

Now there is a lot more than AC involved
1. AC
2. Dex / Dodge
3. PRR

Basically you can allow a tune to choose something that fits the build a LOT better.

The reason you only had a couple of types was because there was no point to taking an armour that had less pure AC and full plate was that. Now you might choose to allow that full plate to drop down to half plate if, for example, half plate allowed 1 higher Dex bonus (and thus 1 higher dodge).

Basiclly what I am saying is that prior to the new system there was no reason at all now there could be.

sirgog
11-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Agreed to Hide armor (even if it has identical stats to one of the metal medium armors, I'd be fine with that).

As for the others - they've been supplanted by the higher level versions (eg Celestial Leathers have much, much higher MDB than any old armor did)

pelaaja
11-21-2012, 05:59 PM
As for the others - they've been supplanted by the higher level versions (eg Celestial Leathers have much, much higher MDB than any old armor did)

Do note that at least Breastplate and Banded mail were great if they were darkwood material to those who didn't have medium/heavy armor proficiency

Brennie
11-21-2012, 06:35 PM
I think it was a very odd design choice to add Druid and remove all possible randomrolled non-metal medium armors from the game in the same update.

Frankly, I think the armor system is fine how it is now, with a couple tweaks: First, "Special" base types for armors need to be reintroduced, including Darkleaf, Mithril, Adamantine, etc. (edit: Flametouched iron can probably be left out, since it was the most useless metal type ever. or atleast revamp it to be less useless) Second, Medium armor needs atleast one non-metal base armor - Perhaps replace banded with Hide, or just toss Hide into medium armors with the same stats as banded and make it drop as commonly.

Side note - OP, studded armor was no better than any other light armors, and in many ways was the worst of the bunch. Here what light armor used to look like:

Padded: Armor 1, MDB 8, AC 0, ASF 5%
Leather: Armor 2, MDB 6, AC 0, ASF 10%
Studded Leather: Armor 3, MDB 5, AC -1, ASF 15%
Chain Shirt: Armor 4, MDB 4, AC -2, ASF 20%

As you can see, Studded leather was only optimal if you had exactly 20 dex. Anything less and chain shirt was better. With 22 dex, you'd get the same amount of Armor Class with less armor check penalty from leather. Additionally, with just generic armor, Padded leather had the highest potential AC out of the light armors, if you could get enough dex to fill it out. But the prize from the light armor set has always been mithral chain shirt, which had the highest base armor at 4, 6 MDB, and no armor check penalty.