PDA

View Full Version : Monks and combat mastery

ripperj
10-31-2012, 12:21 AM
Currently some monk abilities are not affected by combat mastery; and i think they should be.

There are only two ways to get a universal melee tactics increase in DC: pl fight and exceptional combat mastery. These work on all the generic moves; trip, stun, sunder, but do not work for monks.

Stunning fist is the only exception to this rule. Leaving quivering palm wayyy underpowered. For my twinked out multi-life monk, quivering only work on select mobs and only on norm. This is at-level btw, everything on elite is untouchable. For elite i wear +10 stunners to make fist useful, but atm nothing can be done for palm.

I'm hoping the dev's might look into this and possibly have combat mastery work with all melee abilities in-game.

chickenmaniac
10-31-2012, 12:35 AM
I get the impression this is going to addressed in the enhancement revamp. The vast majority of monk strikes (with a couple of exceptions) are just not viable at endgame.

From what I saw of the new enhancements hidden in llamaland, most of the abilities will scale with lvls. Hopefully this will also mean the coding will be there for them to be affected by weighted abilities on items. As it stands, it isnt.

Delssar
10-31-2012, 05:03 AM
I havent played the game since just after the last update (not the patchs/hotfixes) so maybe its borked atm but. How can you not quivering palm mobs on hard / epic hard, I can see elites being a bit of a problem though.
I agree that CM should work for palm but then my monk (if I ever get a computer again) might be way OP already having 46(?) or 48(?) wis. [and he's a first life]

Lonnbeimnech
10-31-2012, 05:51 AM
I havent played the game since just after the last update (not the patchs/hotfixes) so maybe its borked atm but. How can you not quivering palm mobs on hard / epic hard, I can see elites being a bit of a problem though.
I agree that CM should work for palm but then my monk (if I ever get a computer again) might be way OP already having 46(?) or 48(?) wis. [and he's a first life]

Wild guess.
He made a str based monk.

Edit: so I look here http://my.ddo.com/ripperj/ and see this "contrary to what anyone(everyone) else out there says, str monks are far beter then dex monks(bite that!)".

The advantage to going wis based is that you get DCs much higher, so you can use dps wraps instead of stunning wraps, and generally are better at clearing trash since you can land ToD and do 500 damage instead of 250, or quivering palm casters on elite.

The advantage of str based is that you do more damage per punch, a str based with stunners will be comperable to a wis based monk with dps wraps. But you will out perform a wis monk against rednames when you switch to your dps wraps and the 250 point dif in your ToD is irrelevant compared to the amount of dps you put out on a stationary meatsack.

Mastikator
10-31-2012, 06:25 AM
Currently some monk abilities are not affected by combat mastery; and i think they should be.

There are only two ways to get a universal melee tactics increase in DC: pl fight and exceptional combat mastery. These work on all the generic moves; trip, stun, sunder, but do not work for monks.[snip]
Monk special attacks like Quivering Palm, Touch Of Death and Tomb Of Jade aren't tactical attacks. Stunning Fist isn't an exception to the rule, it's a tactical attack and thus it benefits.
It doesn't add to a Rogue Assassin's Assassinate attack or Wizard Pale Master Lichform Paralyzing Touch either.

Musouka
10-31-2012, 10:46 AM
Monk special attacks like Quivering Palm, Touch Of Death and Tomb Of Jade aren't tactical attacks. Stunning Fist isn't an exception to the rule, it's a tactical attack and thus it benefits.
It doesn't add to a Rogue Assassin's Assassinate attack or Wizard Pale Master Lichform Paralyzing Touch either.

This is true.

Touch of Death is considered and Negative Energy attack, Tomb of Jade is considered a Positive Energy attack. Quivering Palm is considered a class ability.

Stunning Fist is a tactical attack, because you must spend a feat slot to have it. None of those others require a feat slot to have them. Sure Trip and Sunder are granted, but they also have an improved form that requires you take the extra feat. They are also well known to be tactical attacks.

If you want Quivering Palm to be more successful, put more points into Wisdom. We have so many ways to improve your wisdom. There are the 2 epic feat slots you can use for wisdom, and there are the Epic Destiny wisdom improvements.

TBH, I have a STR based Half-Orc Fighter 12/Monk 8. Probably the hardest hitting unarmed attacks I've seen. I am sure there are better. I lose out on the Touch of Death, but having Fighter Haste boost while levelling was awesome. I can stun mobs in Epic Elites with both Stunning Fist and Stunning Blow. It's nice to stun something and do 100+ damage every hit while they are stunned. I chose to use Legendary Dreadnought, because of the added die steps and x3 crit. I am levelling other EDs, but that's just to get some twists.