PDA

View Full Version : Fastest way from 16 to 20?

Ragnarnessaja
10-24-2012, 10:36 PM
Hey there.

Been gone a while and I would like to get a couple questions answered please:

#1. Now that the expansion is out, do you have to get to level 25 before TRing, or is 20 still applicable?

#2. If 20 is still when you TR, what's the fastest way for a level 16 Wizard with xp pots and that XP tome eaten to hit 20? Bear in mind I have been gone for so long I may as well have no experience with higher end content and the LFM's all demand "know quest", so I'd prefer the easiest method that you can suggest.

Thank you very much.

AZgreentea
10-24-2012, 10:51 PM
#1. No. You can TR at anytime between 20 and 25.

#2. Some tips off the top of my head. I'm presuming you have access to everything. If you haven't done so, hit the first 400-750 slayer in Gianthold, the Orchard, and the Vale. Thats a relatively easy way to pick up several thousand XP and get you familiarized with your character again.

These quest chains should be good for XP, but in no way include EVERY good quest to run. These I find easier to run by myself, even if slightly over level. There are lots of others that give good XP if you can find a group.

Acid Wit (quest)
Attack on Stormreach (chain) Though you may want to do the free ones before so you dont miss the story.
Mired in Kobolds (quest)
Habringer of Madness (chain)
Anything in the Vale
The MotU flagging quests in the harbor
Delirium (quest)
Reign of Madness (chain)
The Druids Deep chain if you have access to Eveningstar.
The two lvl 19 quests in Evening star are very easy
The Path of Inspiration (chain)

Most people dont mind if you dont know the quest. It can sometimes be difficult to fill an LFM, and a warm body can be better than nobody.

Arthnoxx
10-24-2012, 10:51 PM
Hey there.

Been gone a while and I would like to get a couple questions answered please:

#1. Now that the expansion is out, do you have to get to level 25 before TRing, or is 20 still applicable?

#2. If 20 is still when you TR, what's the fastest way for a level 16 Wizard with xp pots and that XP tome eaten to hit 20? Bear in mind I have been gone for so long I may as well have no experience with higher end content and the LFM's all demand "know quest", so I'd prefer the easiest method that you can suggest.

Thank you very much.

I can answer 1 but not 2. You still only have to be level 20 to TR.

Ragnarnessaja
10-24-2012, 11:00 PM
Thank you very much AZgreentea. That's exactly what I needed to hear. And thank you also Arthnoxx for posting!

Yes, I have every adventure pack available so I'm certain I can do everything. That tip about the slayer areas is perfect since it really would familiarize me with my Wizard again. :)

I look forward to getting back into it tomorrow after work!

Again, thanks very much.

t0r012
10-24-2012, 11:13 PM
Mabar starts tomorrow so groups will probably be thin so don't expect much company.

No xp but also a decent way to relearn you wizzie

SylvanPhoenix
10-24-2012, 11:17 PM
There are a few other pieces worth mentioning though you may already know about these.

1. If you can keep a bravery streak (either elite or hard) that's ideal though I know I broke my elite streak by around level 18. I could have easily kept up a hard streak if I didn't do raids (VoD, HoX, etc). If I was shooting to TR then I'd skip these and not break my streak on them.

2. I was banking a level in this level range. Thus I had earned enough xp for the next level but was only taking it when I was very close to hitting the cap (which is 1 point shy of what you need for 2 levels higher). This is important since you can do lower level quests while still being eligible for streak and avoiding xp penalties for being over level. It also means you will jump from 18 to 20 by running something super short and easy.

3. Don't forget you get a bonus for the first time doing a quest at a certain difficulty. Due to the limited number of quests in this level range you'll want to repeat them so make sure you run them each once on Elite, Hard and Normal. Elite might be tough to find a good group and depending on your build/comfort level might not be possible to solo.

The one good thing to note is there are more options for questing in this level range than used to be. House Cannith quests and area, Druid's chain, Eveningstar non-epic quests and challenges have opened things up more. Good luck!

Cheers,
Sylvan

sirgog
10-24-2012, 11:59 PM
20 to TR as has been said. Progress on epic destinies, however, is preserved through TRing so TRing at 23 or 24 is not a 'waste'.

Best XP quests at high level are:

Running With The Devils (hard but PUGgable on Elite, low-medium difficulty on lower settings)
Monastery of the Scorpion (too hard to PUG on Elite unless you can almost solo the end fight, low-medium difficulty on N/H, not solo friendly except with mad skills)
Enter the Kobold (Elite too hard to PUG but can be soloed with skill by most builds by abusing dungeon scaling, N/H easy)
The Sane Asylum (Puzzle quest. Elite medium difficulty, n/h easy)
Sins of Attrition (Elite too hard to speedrun in most groups)
Litany of the Dead (Easy on all difficulties, mandatory puzzle, lethal traps on elite)
Missing (I actually don't know the speedrun for this but know it can be done fast fast fast. I should learn it)
Lords of Dust (Easy on all settings, traps seriously dangerous on elite)
Reclaiming Memories (Easy on all settings)
Mining for Ancient Secrets (Easy on n/h, easy to medium on elite, be careful you don't get overwhelmed in end fight though)

Solid but unspectacular quests:

A New Invasion (very difficult on Elite, not trivial to speedrun at all).
Rainbow in the Dark
Lord of Stone
All of the Inspired Quarter chain except I Dream of Jeets (add IDoJ if you have a group that split up well). Don't underestimate Mindsunder Elite though.

Run those until they get boring, then fill in the rest of the XP with mediocre quests that are a little different.

Quickben1
10-25-2012, 01:05 AM
I'd ask a simple question : Which server are you on? Me and a friend are in progress of a tr-train (multiple tr's) and we r atm 16 lvl. If u r on Thelanis we could take u with us - although i have to admit we might not be your ideal party to explore the quests- and help u level fast to 20.

EDIT : morning coffee still haven't kicked in..correcting lvl.

Isolani
10-25-2012, 02:15 AM
20 to TR as has been said. Progress on epic destinies, however, is preserved through TRing so TRing at 23 or 24 is not a 'waste'.

Best XP quests at high level are:

Running With The Devils (hard but PUGgable on Elite, low-medium difficulty on lower settings)
Monastery of the Scorpion (too hard to PUG on Elite unless you can almost solo the end fight, low-medium difficulty on N/H, not solo friendly except with mad skills)
Enter the Kobold (Elite too hard to PUG but can be soloed with skill by most builds by abusing dungeon scaling, N/H easy)
The Sane Asylum (Puzzle quest. Elite medium difficulty, n/h easy)
Sins of Attrition (Elite too hard to speedrun in most groups)
Litany of the Dead (Easy on all difficulties, mandatory puzzle, lethal traps on elite)
Missing (I actually don't know the speedrun for this but know it can be done fast fast fast. I should learn it)
Lords of Dust (Easy on all settings, traps seriously dangerous on elite)
Reclaiming Memories (Easy on all settings)
Mining for Ancient Secrets (Easy on n/h, easy to medium on elite, be careful you don't get overwhelmed in end fight though)

Solid but unspectacular quests:

A New Invasion (very difficult on Elite, not trivial to speedrun at all).
Rainbow in the Dark
Lord of Stone
All of the Inspired Quarter chain except I Dream of Jeets (add IDoJ if you have a group that split up well). Don't underestimate Mindsunder Elite though.

Run those until they get boring, then fill in the rest of the XP with mediocre quests that are a little different.

A lot of good suggestions there. There's no secret to doing Missing fast...the quest only requires 1 kill for completion (the beholder). Invis past everything (Tharaak hounds and a few others see invis, just keep running), pick up the 3 things you need, displacement helps a lot for the last item because you need to pull a door lever in a room full of see invis mobs, don't do any optionals on elite it isn't worth the time, kill beholder. Get devious bonus. Done. Unless you are pulling a lever or something, you should be running 99% of the time until the end fight. Takes something like 4-5 minutes solo.

I don't have mad skills, but I solo Monastery elite every life. Nothing especially difficult about the end except that it's harder solve the puzzle with a bunch of see invis mobs chasing you. If Athene spawns in the end room, multiply difficulty by 10.

Running with the devils is not worth doing solo on elite anymore unless you want to chug 5+ SP pots and burn it down on an arcane/divine in 10 minutes. Stealthy builds can make this easier to complete. I usually finish up my elite streak when I'm L18 (banking 19) and break my streak with RwtD hard. Then hard streak the rest of the way.

I generally run Litany when I'm L16 (banking 17), but even if you run it into oblivion with a +30% xp pot, you only get about 60% of L17 out of it, and that's including a casual run.

I would add The Riddle also if you have the expansion. It's no picnic on elite, but on hard/normal, it's a fast run with a lot of chests. As always, invis past everything except the few fights with Hags that you have to do to complete.

sirgog
10-25-2012, 02:53 AM
A lot of good suggestions there. There's no secret to doing Missing fast...the quest only requires 1 kill for completion (the beholder). Invis past everything (Tharaak hounds and a few others see invis, just keep running), pick up the 3 things you need, displacement helps a lot for the last item because you need to pull a door lever in a room full of see invis mobs, don't do any optionals on elite it isn't worth the time, kill beholder. Get devious bonus. Done. Unless you are pulling a lever or something, you should be running 99% of the time until the end fight. Takes something like 4-5 minutes solo.

I don't have mad skills, but I solo Monastery elite every life. Nothing especially difficult about the end except that it's harder solve the puzzle with a bunch of see invis mobs chasing you. If Athene spawns in the end room, multiply difficulty by 10.

Running with the devils is not worth doing solo on elite anymore unless you want to chug 5+ SP pots and burn it down on an arcane/divine in 10 minutes. Stealthy builds can make this easier to complete. I usually finish up my elite streak when I'm L18 (banking 19) and break my streak with RwtD hard. Then hard streak the rest of the way.

I generally run Litany when I'm L16 (banking 17), but even if you run it into oblivion with a +30% xp pot, you only get about 60% of L17 out of it, and that's including a casual run.

I would add The Riddle also if you have the expansion. It's no picnic on elite, but on hard/normal, it's a fast run with a lot of chests. As always, invis past everything except the few fights with Hags that you have to do to complete.

On Monastery, the issue I've always had is with the respawns messing up your puzzle. You absolutely must be able to efficiently solve it without the solvers most people use.

I'd estimate that only 20% of PUG Monastery runs have someone that can solve the puzzle via logic in a reasonable time. (I can usually do it but get stumped a good 20% of the time). Couple this with kiting a boss that can three-shot most characters and discoball traps on the kiting path and it gets rough. Doable, but hard and not doable without voice communications.

On Litany, one thing I do if I'm behind on my XP plans is to run the backends three times each. They are OK XP except for Chollthuz, get you flagged for an entertaining raid, and are something most people haven't done much (variety being good). Of course scrap this idea if you were one of the people that farmed two Deathnips back when Litany was endgame as you'll be sick of it.

On Missing, I just need to learn where everything is. Not run it much. That beholder can be rough solo on elite though right? I remember dying to him once solo on my main.

My general rule is: Don't run ANY level 16+ quests (base level) until you hit 2900k XP, preferably 3100k.

krtkoo
10-25-2012, 03:52 AM
Hi,
I would recommend also to run cannith challenges. if you are looking for the best xp/ min - only time is money, buying time and labor shortage are worth running them. and only 1 time doing 5 stars on lvl 20. lvl 25 challenges are not worth running (when you have heroic lvls) after the nerf. repetitions are not worth at all.

I dont know how much xp are giving challenges in eveningstar - have to check it. But you should have the key to eveningstar if you are tr (I accidentally destroyed it during TR process so I have to grind the favor again), so you dont need to run the flagging quests to run challenges there. I would strongly recommend to skip them (mby lord of dust is ok, but servants and spinner s*** badly).

Isolani
10-28-2012, 12:23 PM
On Monastery, the issue I've always had is with the respawns messing up your puzzle. You absolutely must be able to efficiently solve it without the solvers most people use.

I'd estimate that only 20% of PUG Monastery runs have someone that can solve the puzzle via logic in a reasonable time. (I can usually do it but get stumped a good 20% of the time). Couple this with kiting a boss that can three-shot most characters and discoball traps on the kiting path and it gets rough. Doable, but hard and not doable without voice communications.

On Litany, one thing I do if I'm behind on my XP plans is to run the backends three times each. They are OK XP except for Chollthuz, get you flagged for an entertaining raid, and are something most people haven't done much (variety being good). Of course scrap this idea if you were one of the people that farmed two Deathnips back when Litany was endgame as you'll be sick of it.

On Missing, I just need to learn where everything is. Not run it much. That beholder can be rough solo on elite though right? I remember dying to him once solo on my main.

My general rule is: Don't run ANY level 16+ quests (base level) until you hit 2900k XP, preferably 3100k.

On monastery, invis + sneak (no stealth skills needed) into the end room and Sannyasi won't know how to find you. After I get into the room, I sneak up to the top level, you can stop sneaking and he won't know exactly where you are as long as you stay invisible. He will be following you, but slowly. If your invis ever breaks for even a fraction of a second (like recasting invis), he will know exactly where you are and come straight after you.

The bigger problem is monks, scorpions, etc chasing you around and messing up the puzzle before you can solve it. I don't kill any of them, I just let them chase me and keep working on the puzzle until it gets to a configuration that I can solve in 2 or 3 steps before the mobs mess it up again. Sometimes it takes 30 seconds, sometimes it takes 5+ minutes to solve.

And yeah, for soloing it, you need to be able to solve the puzzle without a solver. Duo is a lot easier of course, 1 person as bait, and 1 to solve puzzle.

The beholder in Missing, is less dangerous than typical beholders really. He used to be able to violet beam instakill you with no save, but that has only happened to me once ever and that was a long time ago, not sure if he still does that. Most dangerous thing he does is that long hold/stun (forget what it's called), if he lands that on elite, you can get clobbered to death by Taken + the beholder before it wears off.

Since the OP says he has limited experience with higher level quests, this is all trivia anyway. He probably won't be solo elite streaking these quests. They are still good xp on hard or normal though.

bibimbap
10-28-2012, 01:09 PM
What life are you on? Curiously? :)

Necro 4 / GH are my usual, in GH Trial by Fire, Hobo Gobo One, Orc one, those go pretty fast at least do a E/ H / N completion on the Q's here

I prefer Necro 4 Vol, Flesh, GoP (hard to solo though)

Missing is basically just invising, running, then DD'ing back to the start what server are you on?

DrNuegebauer
10-28-2012, 01:45 PM
As a level 16 wizard, your starting point should definitely be in the Orchard.

Run E Hx8 N
Temple of Vol
Ghosts of Perdition

Then Fleshmakers and Inferno until you have a full sigil. Once that's done, head over to GH and run the 'main 3' quests to flag for Tor, then hit Tor (no dragons). I'm assuming you do elite first on all these quests for the streak.

By now you should be getting close to being forced to take level 17. As soon as that happens, drop whatever you were doing, and head to Litany of the Dead.
Run it until you drop - E Hx10 N.
Now go do Missing E Hx? N.

You should be 3 or so ranks into 18 by now? You can either take 18 and move on to the Vale, or grind out some more level 15 quests. I think just move on!

Take 18, then:
Devils, E Hx8 N.
Rainbow in the dark E Hx5 N
RitSac E H N

If you want your large ing bag, run Coal and Dust.

Head over to Reavers Refuge, run Kobold and Monastary E Hx8 N.

Then back to the Sane Asylum in stormreach E Hx8 N.

Should be 20?

TR and do it all again!

[note: if you're finding it too difficult to do E first, just streak on H and slot in an extra run of something else along the way]