PDA

View Full Version : Wizards

Venoma9
10-20-2012, 09:34 AM
Hey guys...I just wanted to say I really like the game and I am a new wizard elementalist....name is Grimkane in Orien...and if you had any advice for a level 5 Elementalist Wizard. Thanks in advance...:D

DynaTheCat
10-20-2012, 01:51 PM
First rule of wizardry. There is no elemental wizardry.

Elemental dmg is secondary for a wizard. Your damage focus should be negative, force, & spell DCs.

This does not mean elemental damage is not important. Simply, that your focus should not be fully in it. Albeit, at lower levels it doesn't really matter.

As a wizard, your spells are hard to resist against. That's your main goal. To make certain spells irresistible.

Most focus necromancy as their main, simply because if your enemy fails to resist some of your necromancy spells, they will instantly die.

Secondary focus is generally enchantment: To hold, dance, or daze monster.

gphysalis
10-20-2012, 02:07 PM
First rule of wizardry. There is no elemental wizardry.

I don't think you entirely understood what he meant.
one of the pregen paths is "elementalist"

Hey guys...I just wanted to say I really like the game and I am a new wizard elementalist....name is Grimkane in Orien...and if you had any advice for a level 5 Elementalist Wizard. Thanks in advance...:D

Venoma,
I would highly recommend learning about the game, and then making a new character once you are more familiar with gameplay

the paths are terrible, and it is much better to pick customize during character creation.

necromancer is probably the best option for wizards

you have made a very good decision to come here to the forums

You should take the following steps:

1. go to ddowiki: ddowiki.com
it is a great resource, not always perfectly up to date

2. look up pale master wizard builds on the forums
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=302573
this is a good place

3. learn the game mechanics, and don't be afraid to make a new character

4. Con is not a dump stat

Edit:
If you see my sig, you should ignore it
you should avoid using the grease spell when possible

Drekisen
10-20-2012, 04:17 PM
Above poster is mostly right.......but you are free to make an elementalist if that's what you want.

Personally I think if you don't care about the class decision and you wanna be a spell damage nuker you would be way happier with a Sorc......it's slow going at first cause you get spells slowly and not as many as a wizard......but by the mid levels you'll be loving it.

I am not sure if your looking to do spell DPS or you are interested in being a wizard or both...could you elaborate a little?

I reiterate if class is not an issue and you wanna be a nuker...MAKE A SORCERER!

DynaTheCat
10-20-2012, 04:50 PM
I don't think you entirely understood what he meant.
one of the pregen paths is "elementalist"

Ah yep, you're right. I totally forgot they have a pre-made for elemental when you create a wizard...

Mmm... I wonder if people taking that path become gimpy at the end....

gphysalis
10-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Mmm... I wonder if people taking that path become gimpy at the end....

They don't.
Its in the middle.
As soon as they can't take a PRE

Venoma9
10-21-2012, 12:39 AM
Aiayn thanks for your help...i just want to be an overall good caster that's easy to play. I think sorcerer is something I'll try out and (most likely) i'll probably enjoy it...since all the players who are sorcerers seem to think it's better (most opinions) than a wiz. thank you

Postumus
10-21-2012, 12:58 AM
I always thought sorcerer was easier to play than wizard simply due to the spell restriction and Spell Like Abilities.

If you get frustrated with the wiz, do not be afraid to reroll. It took me three tries until I built an arcane that was durable enough and capable enough to reach level 20.

Ryan220
10-21-2012, 03:23 AM
Hello OP

my bit of advice is when you run with another Wizard in your group watch them and see what they do, where they place themselves, what spells they use and when. Know when to blast and when to CC particularly as a 1st lifer with limited equipmenyt

At low levels use a Greataxe (and Masters Touch) to supplement your low SP pool.

Learn from a friend if possible -

I didnt read up on Wizzies when I created my first. I didnt know about the AM slas, i didnt know about FW and kiting and thus parked my Wiz. Then I got lucky and joined a Guildie on his Wiz TR train and he taught me how to do it right.

Good luck and have fun

Drekisen
10-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Yeah...I think most people come to expect a Sorc to just be a nuker so they don't put as much emphasis on DC's and spell pen.....when you are a Wizard tho people expect it and it is a pretty good time investment before you get to that point......I mean we are talking 4 wizard lives at least for me anyways to get that extra +6 spell pen from TR's.......that alone takes a while.

And of course nice gear rocks but Sorcs can get away with just raw power way easier than a Wiz.

If you are gonna try out a Sorc many people advise using a two handed weapon and doing a bit of melee your first few levels......just because you will not have a lot of SP.

donfilibuster
10-22-2012, 01:52 PM
The elemental wizard might be the evocation archmage, but as people will note, it won't have big advantages.
It's good for learning, since you can freely change spells to see the various element spells at work.

Once at the high levels you'll be seeing the gap in power and need build in necro or enchantment focuses.
At 18 is also where palemaster peaks in power so it's an option, just need to plan the feats.

Naturally, you may get addicted to nuking, these days the damage is good and can mix on and off metamagics.
The wiz will feel small for the task thus all left to do is to cap it to 20 to finish the learning and TR into sorc.

Sinsyne
10-23-2012, 08:08 AM
Wizard = fun.
Sorcerer = boring.

In DDO wizards have tons of options. I suggest you going way up to level 20 with your wizard. You must learn the game, the pros and cons...

As a sorc you will experience a limited amount of spells and you will end up using the same 3 and being a godmode nuker.

As a wizard you will have all the spells you want and can play really tricky or equally boring as a sorc and by the time you decide to keep him or re-roll him you will have experienced a much wider range of the arcane gameplay.

Btw one cool thing about DDO is that you DON'T have to be the best or even build the best character even though the general opinion is that min/maxing is the way to go. (You know, when as a wizzy your starting INT is 18, CON is 14-16 the rest is 8 (unless you want to UMD).) You can have a relatively balanced toon and play through all the quests on normal difficulty. And when you see your weaknesses/strengths you can reincarnate you char or roll a new one.

Cogdoc
10-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Wizard = fun.
Sorcerer = boring.

Insolence!

Let me get your definitions straight:

Wizard = spent his whole life studying in a library amongst dusty books, and smelly old librarians. Never seen:
1 - sunlight
2 - an adventure
3 - a fight
4 - a real man
5 - a pub
6 - her lap.

Sorcerer = the cool guy everyone wants to be, who sweet talks every chick off her feet, and hangs out in the pub all the time. Never learned magic, he was born with power. He goes to:
1 - enjoy the sunlight if he feels like it
2 - an adventure to have fun
3 - have a fight for the challenge
4 - form a party with real men to beat down giants
5 - the pub, or well, he rarely comes out of it...:)
6 - her bedroom.

Cogdoc

donfilibuster
10-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Wizard = spent his whole life studying in a library amongst dusty books, and smelly old librarians. Never seen:

The Unseen University is proof a wizardry school can be much fun.
You get to eat pie, can sneak out to the pub, and have a soccer team.

akiraproject24
10-23-2012, 05:27 PM
Done a lot of wizard past lives couple things I like to do:

Find some nice greataxes or craft some I liked screaming of bleed for lvl 1 with shard of masterful craftsmanship..after that at lvl 2 I like a keen greataxe with festivul icy burst. If not available to you just try and find an elemental greataxe of some sort. At lvl 4 carnifex will do you nicely end reward from deleras chain

Take masters touch early and run thru korthos with a greataxe speeds things up for you. A charm person here and there can lighten the incoming damage a bit.

Spec fire enhancements as at lvl 7 you can take the spell wall of fire (firewall) this will be your bread and butter till like lvl 18.

After lvl 18 (I like palemaster) Im speccin in elec and cold for my lvl 5 DOTs which are niacs and eladrars they are damage over time spells.

So I htink in answer to your question if you spec fire in anticipation of firewall you will be all set till you start fighting a lot of devils/orthons which are fire immune and this will happen around lvl 18 usually maybe earlier if on a first life.

bartharok
10-24-2012, 04:34 AM
dont know what the hype about wizards and greataxes is, ive seen a lot of wizards use them, and most of them use them badly. Ok, if you play a WF wizard, you get some buffs and self healing, but in return deal pretty crappy damage (if your VERY good at it this does not apply).

When playing a wizard you can either go for a middling soloer, or a great asset to a group, most seem to go for the middling soloer. (again if youre GOOD at it you can be a great soloer, but that goes for any race/class combo). Do not believe that any one giving advice is giving you the TRUTH, theyre just giving their version of it, experiment and youll find what YOU like doing and what youre good at. Takes a lot more time but youll be a better player for it

Isolani
10-24-2012, 07:43 AM
Done a lot of wizard past lives couple things I like to do:

Find some nice greataxes or craft some I liked screaming of bleed for lvl 1 with shard of masterful craftsmanship..after that at lvl 2 I like a keen greataxe with festivul icy burst. If not available to you just try and find an elemental greataxe of some sort. At lvl 4 carnifex will do you nicely end reward from deleras chain

Take masters touch early and run thru korthos with a greataxe speeds things up for you. A charm person here and there can lighten the incoming damage a bit.

Spec fire enhancements as at lvl 7 you can take the spell wall of fire (firewall) this will be your bread and butter till like lvl 18.

After lvl 18 (I like palemaster) Im speccin in elec and cold for my lvl 5 DOTs which are niacs and eladrars they are damage over time spells.

So I htink in answer to your question if you spec fire in anticipation of firewall you will be all set till you start fighting a lot of devils/orthons which are fire immune and this will happen around lvl 18 usually maybe earlier if on a first life.

This. These people talking about not being elemental are nuts. Instakill spells are great, but they come much later in levels. Spec fire and acid and you are playing in god mode from L7 until L18. Most of the quests in that level range can be beaten easily solo on elite with just wall of fire, acid rain, niac's, and eldadar's. Possibly a few delayed blast fireballs.

Wall of Fire is not what it used to be, but it's still strong against the bazillion undead mobs you will fight between L7-15.

CC spells...for what? I load symbol of persuasion for the air elementals in fleshmaker's lab and running with the devils. Aside from those quests, just get a Fanion shield or just any tower shield really, displace yourself, throw some AEs and block with your shield while everything around you dies.

It really isn't until Amrath and IQ quests where everything is either immune or resistant to fire/acid and has a lot of hps that you will wish you could instakill.

Take archmage, but don't buy any of the SLAs, they suck for the most part. There's a few good ones like Web, but just having more SP is better for most of the AM PrEs.

Drekisen
10-24-2012, 05:51 PM
GAH!!! Quite simply OP....do you want to

1. unconditionly and maliciously blow stuff up

2. manipulate things and be ingenious.

I'm afraid you can't have both in this game......the prior is Sorc...the latter is Wiz...pretty simple :D

That is until DDO releases a buy only race even if your a ViP that can do both and is 5000 TP's :p

akiraproject24
10-24-2012, 06:45 PM
dont know what the hype about wizards and greataxes is, ive seen a lot of wizards use them, and most of them use them badly. Ok, if you play a WF wizard, you get some buffs and self healing, but in return deal pretty crappy damage (if your VERY good at it this does not apply).

When playing a wizard you can either go for a middling soloer, or a great asset to a group, most seem to go for the middling soloer. (again if youre GOOD at it you can be a great soloer, but that goes for any race/class combo). Do not believe that any one giving advice is giving you the TRUTH, theyre just giving their version of it, experiment and youll find what YOU like doing and what youre good at. Takes a lot more time but youll be a better player for it

There is no real hype to it..I bother with them after I pick up enough lvls for more powerful spells and more sp to burn. But come on in korthos and up to tangle root one can use a greataxe to mow through mobs on any class..hell i even did it on a rogue life for a few low lvls. I do it because its fast and when Im lvling im not enjoying the quests as much as racing my way through them so I can get my high lvl gear. I mean after playing almost 7 years, 11 toons all but one multiply TR'd some up to nine times, I just dont care for the enjoyment factor of say Kobolds New Ringleader I want to get in and out as fast as possible to maximize my xp per min. And after as many times of grinding it over and over and over and did I mention over? I determined that when Im solo running xp between scaling and the the low hp/ac of the monsters a greataxe is the fastest way for me to mow through it. I dont see whats wrong with that and when a new player asks whats a good way to lvl or solo or something along those lines I am going to share with him what I believe works best. Im not telling the player to go greataxe or go home. Im just letting him know its an option and one that works really well. It doesnt carry over into end game and I fully understand that. Once Im lvl 7 i usually bank the axe or shelf it for just in case oom situations. By then the sp will outshine a greataxe swinging wizard. Im not gonna tell said new player that spamming burning hands is the way to go cause its not. Hes gonna go oom, hes gonna make everything mad and as a new player probably wont have the plat to slug 1000's of cure serious pots like vets with deep pockets can. I find these players all the time I wonder "How the hell did he die just drink a pot?" But then it dawns on me he probably cant afford to and I understand that. Usually if I make that discovery Ill hook that dude up. Anyhow a tactic that works really well shouldnt be shunned because someone thinks its against the natural order of things. Do what works

squishwizzy
10-25-2012, 10:42 AM

At lower levels, you run out of SP *fast*. You're left to melee for portions of the quest. And casters really, really suck at melee.

If you look to TR, you can run Deleras several times for the chance at a Carniflex, with has an extended crit range (alongside the weapons decent crit profile). So even if you suck with a Greataxe initially, the crits sort of cover that up. In general, however, you're right: you deal crappy damage when compared to a barb or a fighter doing the same thing.

Generally, I've never gone this route. I most likely will when I TR some of my arcanes.

FuzzyDuck81
10-25-2012, 11:17 AM
The Unseen University is proof a wizardry school can be much fun.
You get to eat pie, can sneak out to the pub, and have a soccer team.

Not to mention the librarian is a mon....APE!

Drekisen
10-25-2012, 03:57 PM

Ahhhh...it's a good thing you learned your lesson on your last space time travel :D

Zachski
10-26-2012, 03:01 AM
And you get to crack jokes about how wizard's staffs always have a knob at the end.

Weemadarthur
10-26-2012, 07:31 AM

Ook!!!?

evilgardengnome
10-26-2012, 08:26 AM
Don't forget about Summon Monster. It may not do alot of damage but it will draw agro away from you. The summon also will notice mobs quicker than you. This is great for soloing but in a party you need to be more selective when you cast it. They sometimes hinder more than help.