PDA

View Full Version : Soloable self sufficient character help

shakytremors
10-19-2012, 02:48 AM
Hi, Im wanting to make a character that will be self sufficient and soloable as I dont necessarily have the time to group up for quests and dungeons. Looking for something that is a bit of a challenge so I dont get bored with it but also fun to play. Thanks.

fartlord
10-19-2012, 03:18 AM
try a human pally with a few monk lvls

Baloran
10-19-2012, 03:34 AM
Since not all Classes / Races are available to F2P, you should give some more information: Are you F2P or VIP? Did you buy some Classes / Races?

And in order to help you you should also describe what your prefered play style is - do you enjoy melee or caster more?

Do you want to solo elite or normal content?

Cheers
Baloran

Mastikator
10-19-2012, 05:28 AM
Rogue/Wizard palemaster would probably be able to handle any content with relative ease even on a first life without gear. You can be human and it's completely F2P.

If you want it challenging then maybe Rogue/Paladin. I say rogue instead of monk because of traps and locks.

EnjoyTheJourney
10-19-2012, 05:41 AM
If you have it, then a druid is quite easy to solo, especially if you're new. They're not highly dependent on gear to be effective and they have some very nifty tools available to them.

You can use flame blade for cleaning up melee trash mobs and damage spells for crowds / ranged / bosses. You have a wolf that can open doors for you, if your strength is low, and you'll have a decent "spot" score so invisible foes will be less ... invisible -- many of them trip your character, earlier in the game, so it's particularly nice to see them coming when you're new.

Plus, you can switch to an animal / elemental form to handle oozes and rust monsters, to guard against the exceptional wear and tear they can do to your weapons. Or, you can go for animal form and use "reaving roar" to clean up large numbers of enemies.

Finally, druids can heal themselves. You will take quite a bit of damage no matter how well you play; having self healing is a real boon to self sufficiency, whether in groups or solo.

Willibold
10-19-2012, 07:22 AM
If you have it and have several extra fingers go with a monk, esp a light specced monk. Way to go solo

Nitesco
10-19-2012, 08:06 AM
I think the current most solo friendly classes are something like: Wizard, FvS, Monk, melee Bard, Half-Elf Fighter with healing dilly.

Edit: Oh yeah forgot Sorc, Arti and maybe even Druid now(haven't played one yet).

Wipey
10-19-2012, 08:14 AM
In my opinion
For newbie : warforged arty, warforged sorc, fvs
Experienced : wizzy, cleric, fleshy sorc and arty, monk .. but anything works of course, just slower :-)

Anything with reliable aoe and self healing.

nivarch
10-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Easiest character to solo with is in my opinion a WF sorcerer.
Artificers are great too, but may be a bit harder to equip without a crafter: repeaters are fairly uncommon.

FvS are strong contenders, but are a real pain until level 12.

Monks are nice, but slower than AoE classes.

And I know nothing about Druids :)

Loromir
10-19-2012, 09:43 AM
If your into nuking/spell casting, WF sorc is the way to go. If you are into Melee, the Battle Cleric is the way to go.

My favorite toon (I have 12 alts) is my Battle Cleric.

I went 19 Cleric/1Fighter Human...I took Max Str and Max con and dumped the rest into Wis. Other than Maximize Spell and empower healing, all of my feats were for Melee (Toughness, THF feats, Cleave, Great Gleave, Power Attack, Improved Crit Slashing).

For enhancements, I took the healing amp, smiting, healing and toughness enhacements. All of my level ups went into str.

I plan to finally end up in the Legendary Dreadnaught destiny (Still working on this). I can stand in my Radient Aura clicking at 77 per tick while swinging away with my falchion.

Her DPS is a little bit below Fighter or Barb levels, but she is nearly unkillable.

When I can't find a group, I log her on and can run almost anything solo.

Edit....also, She still can step back and play nanny bot very effectively when called to do so in a group.

unbongwah
10-19-2012, 09:45 AM
To solo well you basically need two things: DPS & self-healing. Everything else - buffs, CC, AC, Evasion, high saves, trap skills, etc. - is optional (though helpful ofc). I'm inferring you're a F2P newbie since...well, you're posting to the F2P newbie forum. :) So I'll limit my suggestions to F2P options. I'm also presuming you don't just want a pure fighter or barb who uses a cleric hireling and/or a ton of Cure pots (tho that's an option too).

Battle cleric - typically a cleric with a fighter splash for martial weapons & extra feat; either STR-based focused on melee DPS or WIS-based focused on caster DPS. Pros: plenty of self-sufficiency, decent DPS, a good healer can always find a PUG. Cons: don't get the better DPS spells for quite a while, lotta BC hate out there due to, well, lotta bad BCs (i.e., don't know how to keep the party healed and themselves alive).

Paladins - pure or with a rogue splash (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=395133) (for UMD & Evasion, not trap skills). Pros: high saves, decent self-heals & melee DPS, very survivable. Cons: DPS lags behind other melee classes, MADer than other classes since you need CHA on top of STR, CON, and possibly DEX.

Ranger - pros: lotta free melee & ranged feats, some decent buffs & self-heals (tho not as much as pallies), plenty of skill pts means they mix well with rogue splash (see my Tempest trapmonkey). Cons: squishier than other melee classes, PrEs have high feat cost, Tempest got hit with the nerf bat a couple years ago and its DPS has lagged behind other melee classes ever since.

Bard - usually melee-focused, pure or mixed with other classes (bard 16 / rog 2 / ftr 2 is a popular choice). Pros: buffs, heals, DPS, CC via Fascinate, plenty of skill pts, lots of flexibility in multiclassing. Cons: a bit squishy, the better spells are a bit backloaded, not as much SPs or healing potential as a cleric.

Wizard - Pale Master, pure or with a rogue splash. Pros: plenty of great spells (buffs, DPS, CC), PM undead forms add a lot of survivability and self-healing via Death Aura & Neg Energy Burst. Cons: early levels are the toughest, IMHO - you're squishy, your DPS is low, you don't have a lot of SPs, and you don't have any self-healing until you hit wiz 6 and can take zombie form.

Fleshie sorcs are not particularly self-sufficient. Eventually they can get their UMD high enough to use anything they require, but that takes a looong time to reach. So I wouldn't recommend one as a first-time solo build.

moomooprincess
10-19-2012, 11:47 AM
To solo well you basically need two things: DPS & self-healing. Everything else - buffs, CC, AC, Evasion, high saves, trap skills, etc. - is optional (though helpful ofc). I'm inferring you're a F2P newbie since...well, you're posting to the F2P newbie forum. :) So I'll limit my suggestions to F2P options. I'm also presuming you don't just want a pure fighter or barb who uses a cleric hireling and/or a ton of Cure pots (tho that's an option too).

Battle cleric - typically a cleric with a fighter splash for martial weapons & extra feat; either STR-based focused on melee DPS or WIS-based focused on caster DPS. Pros: plenty of self-sufficiency, decent DPS, a good healer can always find a PUG. Cons: don't get the better DPS spells for quite a while, lotta BC hate out there due to, well, lotta bad BCs (i.e., don't know how to keep the party healed and themselves alive).

Paladins - pure or with a rogue splash (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=395133) (for UMD & Evasion, not trap skills). Pros: high saves, decent self-heals & melee DPS, very survivable. Cons: DPS lags behind other melee classes, MADer than other classes since you need CHA on top of STR, CON, and possibly DEX.

Ranger - pros: lotta free melee & ranged feats, some decent buffs & self-heals (tho not as much as pallies), plenty of skill pts means they mix well with rogue splash (see my Tempest trapmonkey). Cons: squishier than other melee classes, PrEs have high feat cost, Tempest got hit with the nerf bat a couple years ago and its DPS has lagged behind other melee classes ever since.

Bard - usually melee-focused, pure or mixed with other classes (bard 16 / rog 2 / ftr 2 is a popular choice). Pros: buffs, heals, DPS, CC via Fascinate, plenty of skill pts, lots of flexibility in multiclassing. Cons: a bit squishy, the better spells are a bit backloaded, not as much SPs or healing potential as a cleric.

Wizard - Pale Master, pure or with a rogue splash. Pros: plenty of great spells (buffs, DPS, CC), PM undead forms add a lot of survivability and self-healing via Death Aura & Neg Energy Burst. Cons: early levels are the toughest, IMHO - you're squishy, your DPS is low, you don't have a lot of SPs, and you don't have any self-healing until you hit wiz 6 and can take zombie form.

Fleshie sorcs are not particularly self-sufficient. Eventually they can get their UMD high enough to use anything they require, but that takes a looong time to reach. So I wouldn't recommend one as a first-time solo build.

I agree with Unbongwah. Here are what I play and solo with on all servers.

F2P with 28 point builds

1. I like pure human clerics. The main problem is you cannot do traps. Not all quests have traps and eventually your cleric can run through most traps anyway. Still, my human clerics are perfectly soloable. And they are F2P. Make sure you get Radiant Servant. Plus, when you do have time, you can usually find a group wanting a cleric. I play mine all the time solo.

2. Dwarf Ranger. Heals itself. Can buff itself. Does nice DPS. Can take a punch. I play mine all the time solo.

3. 18th Bard/2nd Rogue Once you unlock the drow elf, just need 400 favor. You learn the game while accruing favor. Still not as poweful as a cleric, rather weak DPS.
But CHARM is your friend. Concentrate spell penetration and then charm person, charm monster, fascinate, mass charm. I do not play this one all the time as I am really addicted to big heals and blade barrier. You have to spread out some of the points for DEX and INT but you really want a high Charisma.

4. Halfling 18th wizard/2nd rogue. You need INT for a rogue and for a wizard. Good match. I play this some, but once I have Warforged(WF are not F2P) I prefer a warforged. Was fun until I got WF.

5. Halfling rogue Always put points into UMD, disable, search, some into unlock, jump, etc. Go be a major DPS with back stabbing. Obviously, you can do traps. With UMD you can heal yourself with wands and possibly scrolls(if UMD high enough)

6. Paladins are OK. I just don't like them. Not as powerful as a cleric and not as powerful as a ranger. You have to spread out those characteristics all over because you want Charisma, Strength, Constition, Dexterity, if you mix in rogue then you need INT.

NOT F2P

Warforged solo characters that I have with a 32 point build

1. 15th wizard/3rd paladin/2nd rogue play quite a bit
2. 16th Sorcereor/1st barbarian (Reconstruction is my major friend.) Can't do traps but is wicked on AOE and other major damage spells. When I just want to nuke everything I go for it.

I stink at monks. The two monks are created I played up to about 11th level and deleted them. So I have no advice there. I have seen a few well played monks and a lot of monks that are major mana sponges.

I have some clonks or cleric/monks but I have not concentrated on playing them so I cannot offer advice.

unbongwah
10-19-2012, 11:54 AM
I wouldn't recommend a pure rogue for a first-time solo build: they're squishy, they have no self-healing to start with (eventually UMD fixes that, but the key word there is "eventually"), and their DPS depends mostly on sneak atks, which puts them at a disadvantage vs. undead etc. and only work when you don't have aggro (tho Bluff, Deception, and later Radiance weapons help out on that score).

FrozenNova
10-19-2012, 12:00 PM
Once upon a time I posted a 12/6/2 ranger/fighter/rogue halfling with the halfling healing marks and metamagics.
Incredible healing capacity, fantastic reflex from halfling, perfectly capable trap skills, includes full stealth skills, and UMD, and you can kite with ranged.. And it's on a 28pt free race base.

Powerful? Well, not really, compared to a real melee build. But it's damn fun to solo with, as it can pull off just about every trick in the book. Between ranger cures, healing marks, and cure/heal UMD resources, and traps, it also fits well into any party.

Therigar
10-19-2012, 12:41 PM
One thing that is different about soloing quests (compared to grouping) is that you are not obligated to bum rush every mob you encounter. There are a variety of ways to approach each encounter -- but you seldom see them when you are in a group.

Stealth, body and bluff pulling, body pulling, perched ranged, kiting ranged -- these are all other options for soloing.

Of course, there are some places in some quests where it simply isn't practical to avoid a large encounter. In those situations it helps to have a character that is very survivable and that has something going for it which will turn the tide.

unbongwah and moomooprincess both give good advice on the type of build that is best suited. But, the rest is up to you. Which build will work best really is dictated by your choice about how to deal with the different encounters.

sk3l3t0r
10-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Been playing solo since I started about a year ago, never grouped yet and I love my battle clerics. Both human, one is a melee BC, the other is an offensive caster BC. I can handle most non-raid content at level on normal, some cases if I know the quest really well I can handle it at level on hard. I usualy solo elite content 2 levels below my toon's level, so if a quest is level 5 and I am level 7 I will run that quest on elite and good chance I can pull through. In the higher level content (I am curently level 18 and 16 on both my BCs) I am doing ok in Gianthold on normal but having a hard time getting to eveningstar...I am stuck on Spinner of Shadows, having a hard time completing on casual...but most likely my twitch skills is the limiting factor here not the toon.

shakytremors
10-19-2012, 03:36 PM
Since not all Classes / Races are available to F2P, you should give some more information: Are you F2P or VIP? Did you buy some Classes / Races?

And in order to help you you should also describe what your prefered play style is - do you enjoy melee or caster more?

Do you want to solo elite or normal content?

Cheers
Baloran

To answer your question Baloran, I do have the races and classes of f2p but I also have warforge, helf and drow plus the artificer and druid. I had some spare money so I purchased what i could with tp. As for what I like to play style wise...I dont mind sitting back at a distance and doing damage but I always seem to end up in melee. I do enjoy melee especially when Im in the mood to just kill anything that moves. It would be nice if I could solo most elite content when I get there.

Edit: I forgot to add that I have the 32 point stat thingy too. Got that on sale :)

shakytremors
10-19-2012, 03:47 PM
I would first off like to thank everyone for their detailed comments. The one thing Im still a touch fuzzy on is if I should stay as a pure class for my first character as I learn everything?

Uska
10-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Well monks are good if you have them and my paladins are doing well I am soloing most of the stuff in the expansion when I cant find a group. Oh this paladin is a first life drow by the way. Another good option would be a warforged caster.

t0r012
10-19-2012, 08:25 PM
I have been so out of the pug scene with the whole elite or nothing attitudes.
So i have some insight in to solo able toons.

With WF the 3 arcanes that get repair spells are awesome choices.
I'd personally take wizzy over sorc for a new/newish player.
The freedom to swap spells almost at will and the bonus feats to make mistakes less costly are the major factors.
WF Arty are stupid overpowered at low levels ( mine is currently 9) can't speak to upper levels personally but they get blade barrier with force enh so by default they have to be really strong.

A WF wizard with a 2 rogue splash lets you get behind all the doors and past all the traps for maximum exploration. Throw in evasion with maxed out intelgence and insightfully reflexes is awesome. Then figure full ranks in UMD .....tasty.

Less total package but still a blast in toaster land , I really enjoy playing my favored soul also WF. Greatsword is great for early levels till BLade barrier then still great when you hit evasion mobs or the SP are running a bit low.

And my all time favorite toon that i have no fear of just throwing in to any situation and expect her to come out the other side .... My human healing amp monk. Godlike Saves , decent AC , Stuns and lock downs for almost every occasion and decent DPS tI get it done.
Still wearing my vampiric stonedusts at level 21 cause I haven't found anything better and to be honest haven't really needed more. Jiz bracers , DT armor and a boatload of enh points and that's pretty much all you need.
Shrines? What the heck are they?

blkcat1028
10-19-2012, 09:53 PM
I agree with the above posters about the 2 Rogue/ 18 Wizzy... awesome build especially if you make it a WF.

If you are looking for a more melee focused build, here's a link to one I came up with for a mate. It's completely F2P and if you have access to the Vale and Necro 4 it can be a pretty solid build. Personally I would switch it to 1/2 elf and take the cleric dilly for self healing.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=355894

Nodoze
10-19-2012, 10:56 PM
To answer your question Baloran, I do have the races and classes of f2p but I also have warforge, helf and drow plus the artificer and druid. I had some spare money so I purchased what i could with tp. As for what I like to play style wise...I dont mind sitting back at a distance and doing damage but I always seem to end up in melee. I do enjoy melee especially when Im in the mood to just kill anything that moves. It would be nice if I could solo most elite content when I get there.

Edit: I forgot to add that I have the 32 point stat thingy too. Got that on sale :)Overall a Battle Cleric with healing Aura is hard to beat and easier to focus on/master and can be done with minimal Multi-classing splash.

Since you have them a WF Artificer is pretty versatile and can heal itself & a tankish pet (when it works) and kite well (when it doesn't) and do all the traps while being a single class...

Personally I would start with a BC and then do a WF Artie. If you want to learn more about Battle Clerics I would read this thread on BCs (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=393200).

shakytremors
10-19-2012, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the solid input. I really appreciate it. I am definitely seriously looking at the battle cleric and the WF arty. I do like the arty for the fact he can get into places he's not supposed to be. :) But I like the battle cleric for being able to solidly heal oneself and fight/cast. Oh the choices. The only thing I might be worried about is getting caught by traps. Meh I guess thats what heals are for. 0:)

AzB
10-19-2012, 11:15 PM
One thing to consider with any caster splashed with something else; your spells will be cast at whatever level you are a caster... IOW, a 12/2 caster/rogue will be 14th level, but you'll have the spell selection of a 12 level, and spells will be cast at 12th level.

This doesn't sound like a big deal, but for higher level quests many of the bad guys have all kinds of spell resistance. Being 2 or 4 levels below their level only makes it much, much worse. My pure wiz has a hard time with some of them on EE, and that's with nearly maxed spell pen.

Just something to think about.

Every class have some advantages and disadvantages for soloing. Wizzes, correctly built, can be very self sufficient. Either warforged or PM will mop up 90% of the time. But you can't get the good PM stuff until after 10th level. Lower levels are a bit of a challenge. Warforged is better at lower levels.

Druids are also very solid solo toons. They are incredibly open builds... they can be melee, they can be casters, they can be a hybrid... But DDO is a game of extremes. There is little room for a balanced toon. If you play druid, be prepared to choose to focus on melee or caster, but if you try for both you will be disappointed. For the most part, if you want a pure caster a wiz or sorc would probably be a better choice. But a pure caster druid is a formidable toon, even if it doesn't have the power that a sorc or wiz has. You still get better AC, more HP, a useful pet, and a couple unique spells that are really useful. When you run out of sp, you can still survive.

I have two bards, a rogue/figher/bard 2/2/16 and a 20lvl pure. The multiclass is a lot of fun to play, but past 20 lvl it's not very soloable. Very little can be charmed as he doesn't have the extreme high charisma, and he's casting 4 levels down. He can run stuff 4 levels below level without too much problem, but for groups... meh. One nice thing about the multiclass is evasion. It's a huge damage mitigation in a lot of situations. The multiclass gets it from the rogue levels, and he also has 100 more hp than the pure bard thanks to fighter levels, feats and enhancements. The bards strong point is CC, but there are huge holes in this ability. Undead, and drow. Neither can be charmed. (low level undead can be fascinated, but it's the high level ones that kill you quick) This leaves out soloing a whole bunch of content, and almost everything past 20th level. You can build a bard with respectable DPS and reasonable AC, but you'll still have problems taking down red names on hard or elite. The multiclass is more versatile, but it comes at a price... in a party, there will almost always be someone that's better at anything you do. You can fill in, but you'll never be the rock star. And that's what being a bard is all about. It's a shame really, as bards in PnP D&D are one of the best classes to play. I had a lot of fun leveling both bards, but once you get to higher level stuff, the pure bard is mostly just for raids, and the multiclass is gathering dust.

Monks are interesting. I haven't tried one yet, but the self healing combined with massive DPS, evasion, and all the other special stuff looks really interesting. I'm looking forward to playing one.

I have a pure rogue and he has soloed some stuff along the way, and if you have the right mindset you can pull it off. At lower levels, there are even a few quests that give xp bonuses for not killing stuff. Sneaky pays off! But the general trend is to race through everything as fast as possible, so this is not for everyone. It takes time and patience. The assassin pre allows you to one shot kill stuff, which is huge for a melee. There are conditions, of course. You have to sneak up, if the victim even thinks something is nearby, the assassinate will fail. There is also a huge cooldown between assassination attempts, so you can't take out a mob this way. You have to pick the low fruit. You can sometimes get 2 or even 3 assassinates on one shot if they're standing real close together. But mobs and red names will generally have to be avoided as you have no inherent CC or ability to stand and hack for a long time. UMD can help, but that's a whole 'nother subject. Playing a rogue, especially solo, made a lot of adventures a very, very different experience from other characters. Again, undead are a problem, as they cannot be snuck up on, and before you get assassinate, you will be avoiding a lot of fighting. High level stuff is not soloable by rogues... almost all quests have multiple red names that must be killed to finish. Red names cannot be assassinated, so most of them will not be easy, or even possible.

Battle cleric is a good choice for solo, and with a few gear and spell adjustments can be made into a decent party toon. Some nice flexibility there. For me, the healbot role was painfully boring, but some people really enjoy it. You'll never get turned down for a party though, unless they already have a bunch of clerics, which isn't generally an issue.

AbyssalMage
10-19-2012, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the solid input. I really appreciate it. I am definitely seriously looking at the battle cleric and the WF arty. I do like the arty for the fact he can get into places he's not supposed to be. :) But I like the battle cleric for being able to solidly heal oneself and fight/cast. Oh the choices. The only thing I might be worried about is getting caught by traps. Meh I guess thats what heals are for. 0:)

Artificer/WF - Can do ~95% of traps (probably higher). Self heals. Requires a +2 Dex tome though :( . Human and Half-Elf (rogue dilly) are also very favorable options (My preference).

Wizard(PM)/Human (Or elf) - Very powerful but "does take some getting used to." If you want to know how powerful, just look at all the nerf's the class has received by using "Search". Elf/Wizard(PM) can do EE from what I have read, which is very impressive if true, on 1st life (No TR'ing needed). Can splash 2 levels of Rogue but why if you can do EE solo as a pure Wiz?

Sorc/WF - This class combo is like "The easy button" commercials but for DDO. Be warned, it is NOT the best Sorc, but is very good for a 1st lifer/new player. Go Human if you want to max your potential.

Favored Soul - Better than a cleric :) I just personally don't care for 'em at this point in my DDO career.

Druid - Better than a cleric for solo play. In group play, just depends if you went Elemental(caster) or Animal(melee) path and what the group wants.

Cleric - Your DPS sucks at higher levels but the game is still very soloable and you are very hard to kill thanks to your PrE. That and everybody will want you in there group. But they will also blame you if the mission fails. So have to have a think skin if you group.

Honorable mentions - Tempest Trapmonkey/Human (Just not as strong as the above), Monk (Gear/Keyboard intensive), Bard -Warchanter/Virtuoso (DDO Knowledge intensive), AA/H-Elf (DDO developers hate range combat. Viable but just don't expect any love)

Nodoze
10-19-2012, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the solid input. I really appreciate it. I am definitely seriously looking at the battle cleric and the WF arty. I do like the arty for the fact he can get into places he's not supposed to be. :) But I like the battle cleric for being able to solidly heal oneself and fight/cast. Oh the choices. The only thing I might be worried about is getting caught by traps. Meh I guess thats what heals are for. 0:)The good thing is that you can do both & more via multiple character slots. AzB brings up a good point that Multi-classing delays getting higher/more spells and lowers Difficulty Checks (DCs) which can matter much on classes that rely on spells sticking... Good thing about a 1 or 2 level fighter splash on a BC is that you don't lose much spells (can swap at shrines if needed) and your key spells as a BC are not very DC dependent... Off the top of my head if I was new to BCs I would study on the following staple melee Battle Cleric spells (http://ddowiki.com/page/Cleric_Spells):
- Divine Favor (melee buff);
- Divine Power (melee buff);
- Divine Punishment (Damage over Time (DoT) that really ups your DPS on a single target);
- Blade Barrier (still decent with low DCs and great when there are tons of Mobs & you have to AOE them down).

Not neglecting your Healing will enhance your solo-ability but will also make you helpful in groups. One note of caution about your comments "solidly heal oneself and fight/cast". My first life pure cleric, even with max wisdom, starts to have trouble with DCs on Epic Hard so you may not be able to be both a melee BC & a caster on anything more than Epic Normal. I would focus on 2 of the 3 (healing & melee) as even without DCs you can still contribute to DPS in any content and is a good place to start.

shakytremors
10-20-2012, 12:27 AM
@AzB: you brought up the fact that the druid is a solid solo toon. If one had to hazard a guess, which would be the better way to go then for a druid on their first life with no gear....caster or shapeshift melee?

AzB
10-20-2012, 09:38 AM
@AzB: you brought up the fact that the druid is a solid solo toon. If one had to hazard a guess, which would be the better way to go then for a druid on their first life with no gear....caster or shapeshift melee?

At lower levels, shoot for melee, or at least more towards melee. Get and use all the pack related spells, and use your pet and summons as force mutipliers. As you level, you can start taking some/more spell related feats and enhancements or just keep building a massive dps wolf or beartank. At 14-16 level or so, respec for caster if that's what you want. I really, really wish the hybrid was more viable at higher levels at it really fits the druid ideal perfectly... you know, balance. But DDO isn't about balance, it's about min/max pass/fail and balance just means you'd fail at everything. So at some point you will have to choose your focus and stick with it. Most folks go with melee, and build strong, very fun toons. The spellcasting abilities are mostly just for buffing up their melee abilities, and heals. At capstone, a melee/caster hybrid works a little better as the cooldown is shortened to 1.5 normal from 2.5 normal time, but you'll still need a ton of spell pen for offensive spells, and that will take away feats and enhancements from your melee abilities. At lower levels the spell pen is less of an issue, but the cooldown is a big problem while in animal form.

The elemental forms are much better at casting, but give up some of the cool melee abilities you get with animal forms. The big problem with the elemental forms is that they give you a huge negative for casting the opposite elemental based spells. This makes sense, as a water elemental wouldn't be casting massive firestorms. And it's easy enough to pick which form for which quest, and change spells to suit. Both forms take a hit to cast lightning, which kinda sucks because lightning is the druidic signature spell. The reaal kicker is the susceptibility to damage from the opposite element. At high levels, you can't simply decide to go fire or water for individual quests because most quests will be throwing both types at you on a regular basis. Makes playing an elemental challenging, at best. My high level druid caster stays in human form a lot, which is a shame, but it works better most of the time.

You can also spec as a caster healer, I've seen some pretty effective builds rolling around. Any caster can heal, but to vet to a cleric's level of ability requires dedication and giving up some offensive power.

And since it's easy and cheap to change form, you can always jump around forms as needed. Even my caster spec does far more melee damage as a wolf than as a human, so if my spells aren't landing or I'm out of sp, I can jump to wolf or bear form and melee about twice as effectively as being in human form and swinging a scimitar.

The pet is essential at low levels. I was ruling splinterskull with my wolf pack; me in wolf form, a wolf summons, and the wolf pet. Use pack tactics and tenacious pack, etc, and you're unstoppable solo, because you're not really solo. At mid levels the wolf is still useful. He can pull levers, pull bad guys, trip and sneak attack while you tank, and take some of the heat off of you if required. The AI is pretty good, and sometimes I forget he's not real. At high levels though, he dies quickly even though he has better AC and HP than I do. He simply doesn't know how to back off when he's down on hp, and there's no heel command to make him stay by your side. He will run off and attack when it's not a good idea, and sometimes die rapidly. I take him on high level stuff less and less because of this. If he would heel, I could keep an eye on him and heal him, but I can't heal him when I can't find him and I'm trying to stay alive myself. It is fun to cast earthquake on a trash mob and let him run around killing everything while they're all on their butts.

It's a fun class no matter how you slice it, and with decent hp and ac, highly survivable in any situation. I'm not the greatest of players and can kill even the most powerful toon by screwing up, but the druid is really, really hard to screw up.

dennisck2
10-20-2012, 04:08 PM
Half elf light monk w/ cleric dillie ftw!

EllisDee37
10-20-2012, 08:41 PM
If you have access to it, which it sounds like you do, a warforged artificer is probably hugely fun for a first lifer. Druid also looks pretty cool.

As a mostly solo player who had access to only F2P races and classes for a long time, I opted for four alts that sampled the varying aspects of DDO. It's worth mentioning that I only play human for flavor reasons. (I also focused on terran in starcraft. Go humans!)

THF: Evasion Paladin (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=395133) (my build) 18/2 pally/rogue

TWF: Tempest Trapmonkey (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=277496) (unbongwah's build) 18/1/1 ranger/rogue/fighter

Arcane: Pale Trapper (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=394332) (my build) 18/2 wizard/rogue

Divine: "Necro" Cleric (no build yet) 20 cleric, with focus on destruction

All are focused on soloability and self-sufficiency. Unbongwah's excellent ranger build is the only one I play that I didn't come up with myself. The paladin and wizard I ran to cap, fine tuned their builds, TRed them into the new and improved build and then posted the build to the forums.

My cleric...ah my poor, poor cleric. My only alt without evasion, my only alt with poor reflex saves, my only alt who is pure, and my only alt without an actual build yet. I leveled him to 20 on the fly with no plan, and oofa it was rough. (Maybe 6 feat respecs.) He's not great for soloing on a first life because traps own him. He is currently parked at 20, though I do plan to TR him within the next couple months. I'm dragging my feet though because he really does much better in pugs, and having to pug isn't fun for me. In the meantime, he's a raid healer for guild runs.

shakytremors
10-20-2012, 09:26 PM
OP here,
I'm thinking I probably gonna give a pure druid (not sure what race, maybe elf or drow). Probably go wolf dps and go from there, should be really fun just not sure how much wisdom to take.

Merlin-ator
10-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Try Druid, Paladin, or Ranger. Dump DEX unless you need it for reflex saves, a class skill, or a prerequisite (see U14 Armor Class change).

Do NOT attempt to build a soloing 18Wiz/2Rogue. It's a good, viable build, but WIZARDS CANNOT SOLO. Anybody who says otherwise has 20 million past life feats, knows all of the enemy AI flaws, and knows every quest by rote.

Aashrym
10-20-2012, 10:40 PM
Do NOT attempt to build a soloing 18Wiz/2Rogue. It's a good, viable build, but WIZARDS CANNOT SOLO. Anybody who says otherwise has 20 million past life feats, knows all of the enemy AI flaws, and knows every quest by rote.

That's incorrect. I had no issues soloing on a first life wizard. Past lives get you a DC or bring up some additional schools in DC but the main draw is the spell penetration bonuses.

I can use web and stinking cloud for CC on high SR mobs and can play with cyclonic blast, greater shout, and prismatic spray for some more options.

The many past lives requirement for wizard soloing is a myth in my experience.

EllisDee37
10-21-2012, 02:09 AM
Do NOT attempt to build a soloing 18Wiz/2Rogue. It's a good, viable build, but WIZARDS CANNOT SOLO. Anybody who says otherwise has 20 million past life feats, knows all of the enemy AI flaws, and knows every quest by rote.I can't even begin to comprehend why you think this, unless maybe you tried to run a fleshie archmage?

Cyiwin
10-21-2012, 02:29 AM
Try Druid, Paladin, or Ranger. Dump DEX unless you need it for reflex saves, a class skill, or a prerequisite (see U14 Armor Class change).

I can't even begin to comprehend why you think this, unless maybe you tried to run a fleshie archmage?

He had me scratching my head too but I just noticed his name and I'm now going with sarcasm.

FrozenNova
10-21-2012, 04:00 AM
He had me scratching my head too but I just noticed his name and I'm now going with sarcasm.

Or he had a bad experience trying to do it himself.
It's true that 18/2's are very versatile characters, but their soloing ability is based largely on player experience, as they have to be able to either a) invis and charm through everything or b) use sp as efficiently as possible in order to avoid running out of gas half way. A good arcane player has no problem doing either of these, but someone new to arcanes would most definitely find it a struggle compared to any other class - even moreso when you delay spell levels / self healing with the rogue splash. I would never recommend a solo wizard to a newer player and hope for great results.

Nodoze
10-21-2012, 06:46 AM
Or he had a bad experience trying to do it himself.
It's true that 18/2's are very versatile characters, but their soloing ability is based largely on player experience, as they have to be able to either a) invis and charm through everything or b) use sp as efficiently as possible in order to avoid running out of gas half way. A good arcane player has no problem doing either of these, but someone new to arcanes would most definitely find it a struggle compared to any other class - even moreso when you delay spell levels / self healing with the rogue splash. I would never recommend a solo wizard to a newer player and hope for great results.I agree and am not a fan of solo Wizards (or Wizs with splashes) for newer players in part due to them having the lowest hit dice. A Cleric/Fighter-splash should be able heal through traps unless running Elite and an Artie can disable them. Most new players don't have Druids nor Half-Elfs (HEs) but they seem to be very versatile and can focus on any area and the pets sound extremely helpful at low to mid level so I support that option also.

OP, I am not experienced with Druids but would think a Half-Elf Druid would give you the best of both Elfs and Humans and some HE specific abilities as well... Running your own Wolf-pack until you can diversify and try other things sounds like fun !

EnjoyTheJourney
10-21-2012, 08:20 AM
I'd also suggest that if soloing as a new player is the goal, then wizards and wizard / rogue builds would lead to a difficult first run through the game to level 20.

Sorcerers have the same reputation as wizards for being difficult to play solo, while new. But, the main reason that can end up being true is because of difficulties with picking good spells while leveling up, as a new player. A sorcerer that has a well put together plan for picking spells can do better than fine at soloing, whether a player is new or not.

solacerodgers
10-21-2012, 09:03 AM
Hands down best solo first life / new player build is the WF ARTI. You do not need to do more than point and kill with this toon. Second choice is the 12(monk) 7(rogue) 1(fighter) halfelf build with clr dilly. High hp/dps/saves/evasion/heal amp/disable traps and pick locks/feats and more feats/high dodge.... the list goes on.

DarkForte
10-21-2012, 09:11 AM

Paladins soloing better than wizards? You DO know you can drag your spells to your hotbar to actually use them, right?

Nitesco
10-21-2012, 10:07 AM
but WIZARDS CANNOT SOLO. Anybody who says otherwise has 20 million past life feats, knows all of the enemy AI flaws, and knows every quest by rote.

My first life WF AM is able to solo EH and under by sheer brute force and with some care, farm various EE chests guarded by mini-bosses and their minions. When I was levelling up I found Web and AoE's like Wall of Fire to be the most efficient method of gathering up and destroying trash. Then I started using Ice Storm and DoT's when I got them and once I got Finger of Death and Circle of Death, it was all over. You must be missing something on your Wizard.

Aashrym
10-21-2012, 12:48 PM
I agree and am not a fan of solo Wizards (or Wizs with splashes) for newer players in part due to them having the lowest hit dice. A Cleric/Fighter-splash should be able heal through traps unless running Elite and an Artie can disable them. Most new players don't have Druids nor Half-Elfs (HEs) but they seem to be very versatile and can focus on any area and the pets sound extremely helpful at low to mid level so I support that option also.

Palemasters get bonus hit points, bonus stats, and free fortification in undead forms along with cheap self healing and displacement. INT base class with bonus feats to afford insightful reflexes and they get some decent damage mitigation with or without evasion. And they add displacement.

I wouldn't worry too much about squishy wizards based on the d4 hit die. I would worry more about someone who is new and on the learning curve running out of SP.

phroggiepuddles
10-21-2012, 08:29 PM
I think what most of the responders here are saying, is correct and I agree, but it comes from a place of experience of DDO.

If you are a new player, it can still take you weeks of play to get much beyond 10th level - where a lot of the strategies that people are talking about kick in.

So for your first ever toon, I'd recommend playing it fairly straight up - pick the feats and enhancements that make sense to you for your guy at your level. Play at your own pace, have fun, learn the world. Once you have a good feel for the game and quests, and start to get itchy character feet, start saving items you pick up that would be cool for that next character - then start to craft your next build with a bit more depth and transfer the cash and cool items across to give you that extra boost.

Melee is always the generic, straight forward guy to play, as a rule of thumb:
Fighter - great mellee with skills, but no special tricks
Ranger - great for two-weapon fighting or ranged, bit of spell support
Barbarian - great for dealing big damage and lots of Hit Points
Paladin - good all rounder mellee with spells and tricks

Whenever I'm learning a new Dungeons & Dragons gameworld (I've played a lot of Neverwinter Nights, Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale etc) my go-to character is the Paladin. He's rarely the best, but he's very good and is versatile. Be sure to maximise (in order) Charisma (CHA), Strength (STR) and then a bit in the rest as you see fit.

You can play a Paladin with any type of weapon fighting. Regardless of how much CON you have, getting the feat Toughness is very useful because then you can get the Action Point Enhancement Toughness which is a huge boost to your Hit Points. Paladin Divine Sacrifice is the other must-have enhancement, if you've played Paladins in other D&D worlds unfortunately Divine Might just isn't as good (still okay).

This advice isn't for a "power-build" or probably very good for high levels - but to find your feet it's the least overbearing. I've been playing for a month, have an 18th level Paladin who can solo on normal most same level quests, and holds his own in a group even on harder levels. I'm into my 2nd character now who is an 8th level Monk/Rogue (6/2) and he is on a huge chain of Elite quests - because he got some cash and items from my Paladin, has bought a couple of Tomes and is a lot of fun to play - solo's very nicely. I still enjoy my Paladin, but now I'm using him to explore the world and find some good loot for other potential characters!

In summary - play a straight forward character to learn the game and world, a character you have the freedom to make mistakes with (and you can reverse a lot of mistakes in DDO). The vague "good" "very good" advice the DDO character creation is actually quite solid :)

shakytremors
10-22-2012, 09:48 PM
Thanks again for all the great posts. I decided to definitely keep things simple yet fun for this first character. Decided I would play something I wanted to play so I went with an elf druid. Keeping it simple with going melee shapeshifter for now. I appreciate everyone's comments and insight in helping one attempt to figure out what would work for their first character.

vegabond1969
10-22-2012, 10:17 PM
Thanks again for all the great posts. I decided to definitely keep things simple yet fun for this first character. Decided I would play something I wanted to play so I went with an elf druid. Keeping it simple with going melee shapeshifter for now. I appreciate everyone's comments and insight in helping one attempt to figure out what would work for their first character.

Thats all you need to do. play what you want and just enjoy it. I play mostly drow and I can solo all the stuff at low to mid level and most stuff at the higher levels with the exception of raids of course. People will over analyze the game, but if you play it enough and take your time to learn it, it can get pretty easy even for "Gimp" characters.

EllisDee37
10-22-2012, 10:18 PM
Nice, I think you'll have a lot of fun with that. Regardless of class, race, build, gear, whatever, here's a friendly head's up on difficulty:

Originally the game had a level cap of 10, and the TR mechanic wasn't in place. So for a long time people ran level 10 characters through level 10 quests, amassing the most powerful gear in the game for level 10 characters. When the level cap was increased, the new content was balanced toward these "uber 10s." As a consequence, you'll notice a jump in difficulty starting with level 11.

This trend continued for several level increases. The next most notable one was when the cap was 16 and everyone ran shroud 7 bajillion times since there wasn't much else to do. So the 17+ content is balanced for people positively dripping in greensteel.

I'm not saying your druid won't hack it; this applies to any build. Just be aware that after level 10, the difficulty increased goes in bigger jumps than it did from 1 to 10. Don't let it discourage you, though. Nothing wrong with running stuff on normal on a first life!

shakytremors
10-23-2012, 01:07 AM
Loving the druid so far, just with there was a way to get to be able to open locks...chests in places I cant go piques my curiousity :)

Persiflage
10-23-2012, 07:46 AM
Nice, I think you'll have a lot of fun with that. Regardless of class, race, build, gear, whatever, here's a friendly head's up on difficulty:

Originally the game had a level cap of 10, and the TR mechanic wasn't in place. So for a long time people ran level 10 characters through level 10 quests, amassing the most powerful gear in the game for level 10 characters. When the level cap was increased, the new content was balanced toward these "uber 10s." As a consequence, you'll notice a jump in difficulty starting with level 11.

This trend continued for several level increases. The next most notable one was when the cap was 16 and everyone ran shroud 7 bajillion times since there wasn't much else to do. So the 17+ content is balanced for people positively dripping in greensteel.

I'm not saying your druid won't hack it; this applies to any build. Just be aware that after level 10, the difficulty increased goes in bigger jumps than it did from 1 to 10. Don't let it discourage you, though. Nothing wrong with running stuff on normal on a first life!

+1'd you for an interesting insight, right there. Also, it stopped me breaking my ribs with laughter over the non-soloable wizards. :D

Nodoze
10-23-2012, 08:14 AM
Loving the druid so far, just with there was a way to get to be able to open locks...chests in places I cant go piques my curiousity :)If you are not a class that can max open locks natively (Rogue, Artificer, rogue-splash) these alternatives come to mind:

- Any class can hire a Rogue Hireling (http://ddowiki.com/page/Hireling);
- Any class can use a 'Bell of Opening' from the DDO Store (http://ddowiki.com/page/DDO_Store);
- Wiz/Sorcs can use their Knock (http://ddowiki.com/page/Knock) spell to get some but not all locks;

The most helpful thing to me for new players who want to be able to go in to dungeons by themselves is taking a class/race combo which has self-healing (or be willing to hire lots of cleric hirelings). A druid fits this bill well and has lots of playstyles you can explore. Some people raz on Elves because of their starting stats but we have 2 in our party and they do fine (I would rather have them play what they want and are passionate about).

Glad to hear you are having fun as that is what is most important.

jbleargh
10-23-2012, 11:23 AM
I'd also suggest that if soloing as a new player is the goal, then wizards and wizard / rogue builds would lead to a difficult first run through the game to level 20.

Sorcerers have the same reputation as wizards for being difficult to play solo, while new. But, the main reason that can end up being true is because of difficulties with picking good spells while leveling up, as a new player. A sorcerer that has a well put together plan for picking spells can do better than fine at soloing, whether a player is new or not.

You should go melee before arcane or divine.

Arcanes are very very very weak at lower lvls. I just TRed a FVS as a WF Sorc. Still using Master Touch + Carniflex at lvl 5 (got lots of SP but a greataxe still kill some things faster).

Divines have the healing curse. It is easier to get in groups... if you are willing to heal others.

You can declare yourself as battle cleric and refuse to heal but be prepared for the occasional drama.

My main is monk. It is great. Almost never dies and does a lot of damage with Epic destinies... but not easy to build and play. Stats are tight (tomes and 36 pt builds are very relevant) and there are too many buttons to press.

There is a paradox related self-sufficiency in DDO.

When you play alone, self-sufficiency doesn't matter. Hirelings are irritating from time to time but are good enough to complete almost all quests in any difficulty.

Self-sufficiency matter if you want to group. There are lots of BYOH that you can't join if you depend on others to survive.

So... IMHO... Barbarian + hireling is more fun to learn the game alone than a self-sufficient, less DPS build.

vegabond1969
10-23-2012, 04:36 PM
Wizards and arcanes are hard to run solo on first life? Someone needs to tell my wife that. Before the cap from 16 to 20 she ran every quest in game on a drow wizard with no prestiges. After those came out she made her toon a pale master and really started rocking the quests. She doesn't TR her toons, rerolling them or making new ones, and most are arcane types. So somehow she didn't get the memo about not soloing casters...:p

Silken-Akira
10-25-2012, 04:00 AM
My very first life toon was a rogue. I decided to ignore the fact most said that it isn't the wisest choice to have a rogue as your first toon and that it isn't that all good to go solo with.
However now being at level 13 now with her I have to admit it is quite hard sometimes to solo and your tacticts make you go through quests a bit slower. So yeah they were right. do i regret it... Hell no is still my most fun toon to play. although I am testing some other classes out from time to time I play her the most and can't imagine not have a rogue toon to play at most times in the future.
So play the class that seems fun for you, read a bit up on that class and have fun.

Brendae
10-30-2012, 11:24 AM
Speaking of solo characters, does anyone have any advice for my mainly solo character? http://my.ddo.com/character/orien/brendael/

I've been breazing through content but level 7 quests seem to be giving me a good run for my money. I know that my equipment sucks (I am working on it though).

I have a sneaking suspicion that the problem is less to do with the character than the person at the keyboard though.