PDA

View Full Version : More spell crit questions

stefferweffer
10-18-2012, 01:15 PM
Do my fire crit enhancement percentages stack with a quarterstaff that gives me a crit chance with fire spells? At level 9 now, I paid a point for the enh that gives a 4 or 5% chance to crit. But I also use a quarterstaff that gives fire a crit% chance? I'm REALLY hoping that those numbers combine for a 10% or so chance.

Additionally, if I were to spend a 2nd point for the fire crit enhancements, which says it gives a 5% crit chance, is that an ADDITIONAL 5% to the 4% that preceeded it, or is it just giving a piddly additional 1 in 100 chance of a crit? If its just an additional 1%, then these enhancements are seeming like an absolute waste of my enh points.

On a somewhat related note - as a Palemaster I was interested in what people think of "Boiling Blood"? I have never used the spell yet, but apparently it's a no-save spell that does both fire damage and negative energy damage. Right now, with my staff + palemaster + enh, I'm over 100 spell power in negative AND fire (and even get crits on fire). Wouldn't this be an awesome DOT-like spell to take down a boss with?

Thanks again.

xoowak
10-18-2012, 01:34 PM
Yes, enhancements stack with items. (This is the rule in general)

No, it replaces the previous enhancement for a total of 5%.

It does acid and fire, not negative. I haven't tested it since the spell power changes, but it was not very impressive before. And there are so many spells competing for a level 4 slot. As a PM you'll need Death Aura and Neg Burst, leaving you only a few slots for things like Firewall, Acid Rain, Ice Storm, Fire Shield, DDoor, Stoneskin, and Enervation. Point a point or two in electric or cold and grab the level 5 DoT instead.

stefferweffer
10-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Oops. You are correct it is Acid and Fire. I saw Necromancy category and assumed it was Neg + Fire. Sorry about that.

I'm glad to hear that the item + enh % stack. But doesn't this make a 2nd enh point in spell crits rather useless? For that matter, I'm much more likely to put one point into a damage type for +40 than I am for an additional +10 more spell power. So far its seeming like the most efficient option is to put the first point in all cats, rather than specialize for tiny increments and be penalized.

I'm facing the same thing with Human Versatility right now. The 2 points I spent for Human Vers 2 doubled the benefits (for example, +5 AC to +10 AC, +1 to skills to +2 to skills). But for Human Vers 3 I'm being asked to spend 3 POINTS to get an additional 50% increase? Seems like seriously diminishing returns to me. I WILL keep increasing Intelligence because of its obvious importance, and maybe spell pen, but these others seem iffy to me right now?

Am I missing something?

Zirun
10-18-2012, 11:38 PM
You're not taking into account that you can't cast every spell at once. In most situations, one element or even one spell will far outclass the others. For a large portion of the game, Wall of Fire is one of the most powerful and SP-efficient spells, but there are enemies that are immune to fire. So you also invest in the second-best spell, Ice Storm. And there are some that are immune to both fire and cold, so you grab Acid Raid. And as a back-up, you have negative spells and abilities as a Pale Master. And there are some enemies that take extra damage from electricity, so you invest in that, too. There are few enemies (if any) that are immune or highly resistant to all of fire-cold-acid-negative damage, so you invest in all of them.

But what are you using most? If you're only using cold when they're fire immune, only using acid when they're fire and cold immune, etc., then you won't be using them much. You're using fire on everything that isn't fire immune, though, and that's a lot of monsters. So invest heavily in fire with a little for the rest. You have enough AP for 1/1/1 damage/crit/crit damage in the elements you use, as well as a heavy investment in one or two elements and whatever else you need.

Most enhancements have their benefits front-loaded (more in the first rank than subsequent ranks) so that you don't have to invest so heavily to get a significant benefit. Spreading your AP gives you a lot of benefits, but it's hard to use them all at once, and you still have enough AP to invest more heavily in some things.

Postumus
10-19-2012, 02:26 AM
You're not taking into account that you can't cast every spell at once. In most situations, one element or even one spell will far outclass the others. For a large portion of the game, Wall of Fire is one of the most powerful and SP-efficient spells, but there are enemies that are immune to fire. So you also invest in the second-best spell, Ice Storm. And there are some that are immune to both fire and cold, so you grab Acid Raid. And as a back-up, you have negative spells and abilities as a Pale Master. And there are some enemies that take extra damage from electricity, so you invest in that, too. There are few enemies (if any) that are immune or highly resistant to all of fire-cold-acid-negative damage, so you invest in all of them.

But what are you using most? If you're only using cold when they're fire immune, only using acid when they're fire and cold immune, etc., then you won't be using them much. You're using fire on everything that isn't fire immune, though, and that's a lot of monsters. So invest heavily in fire with a little for the rest. You have enough AP for 1/1/1 damage/crit/crit damage in the elements you use, as well as a heavy investment in one or two elements and whatever else you need.

Most enhancements have their benefits front-loaded (more in the first rank than subsequent ranks) so that you don't have to invest so heavily to get a significant benefit. Spreading your AP gives you a lot of benefits, but it's hard to use them all at once, and you still have enough AP to invest more heavily in some things.

I second this advice.

Some folks will tell you that you that 7/1/1 (damage/crit %/crit modifier) is the ideal way to spend APs, but if you specialize in one or two line of damage, then increasing the crit % and crit modifiers will result in more frequent and much higher crits - especially noticeable with Area of Effect spells where critters run back and forth through them multiple times.

One way to save gear space is to obtain an Arcane Lore item which will boost your crit % across all damage lines. The Elfcrafted Armor (http://ddowiki.com/page/Ancient_Elven_Relic) in Gianthold is reasonably accessible and will give you 6% arcane lore (adding 6% critical chance to ALL damage lines).

Again, if you specialize, you'll want to get a greater, major, or superior lore item for the damage lines you are specializing in.

Kinerd
10-19-2012, 04:36 PM
I'm glad to hear that the item + enh % stack. But doesn't this make a 2nd enh point in spell crits rather useless? For that matter, I'm much more likely to put one point into a damage type for +40 than I am for an additional +10 more spell power. So far its seeming like the most efficient option is to put the first point in all cats, rather than specialize for tiny increments and be penalized.Yes, after 1/1/1 you get diminishing returns, severely in the crit categories. Sorcerers have to go past 7/1/1 to get their PrE, it's a tough sell for a wizard to follow suit. The 60 spell power you get going from 1/1/1 to 7/1/1 isn't a ton, but it's not nothing either.

It can be argued that Wall of Fire is the most useful persistent AoE DPS. The trouble is that Fire is an otherwise limited school: outside of Scorching Ray there's not much for a wizard, and even that is niche. Compared to Cold (Polar Ray, Niac's Biting Cold, niche Frost Lance) or Acid (Black Dragon Bolt, niche Cloudkill) it's hard to advise going 7/1/1 in Fire at the expense of Cold or Acid.

Burning Blood is a decent spell. It's problem, especially for a PM, is that level 4 is packed with great spells.