PDA

View Full Version : Allow surname change

Mastikator
10-17-2012, 06:56 AM
You can change your first name but not your surname. Why? It's the first name that'd used to uniquely identify you, the surname is AFAIK only cosmetic. Allow it to be altered!

Hordo
10-17-2012, 07:02 AM
:confused:
You can change your surname by purchasing the appropriate doo-dad from the Turbine Store.

SiliconScout
10-17-2012, 04:38 PM
^^ This

I have done it.

Samburger Knight of the Realm became Samburger the Tinker when I TR'd my sword n board fighter to an Arty (he was my crafter).

soulaeon
10-17-2012, 06:44 PM
They should just let us change our last name through true reincarnation. What are the odds that our characters are reborn from the exact same family, over and over?

Musouka
10-17-2012, 08:09 PM
They should just let us change our last name through true reincarnation. What are the odds that our characters are reborn from the exact same family, over and over?

By that logic, then first name should change too.

soulaeon
10-17-2012, 08:19 PM
By that logic, then first name should change too.
No, this actually their logic because changing character names would be problematic from a technical point of view. The last name is optional and in no way designates character identification. With the last name, you can make the argument to change it because everything else changes.
We should be able to change our name in any way, but dont see both happening at once.

Musouka
10-17-2012, 09:03 PM
No, this actually their logic because changing character names would be problematic from a technical point of view. The last name is optional and in no way designates character identification. With the last name, you can make the argument to change it because everything else changes.
We should be able to change our name in any way, but dont see both happening at once.

I was responding to the question you posed. Not the technical points of it. You know, the odds of being born into the same family. I assumed you were pushing the actual definition of Reincarnation.

AZgreentea
10-17-2012, 09:10 PM
Slightly off topic, but Lama isnt loading for me to test. Does changing the Surname still have the issue of making the text all caps, or is it allowing mixed case. When it first came out, I heard this was an issue.

For example, if I added this to my main, who I started before I began using this convention, would the surname show as:

The Mourner

or

THE MOURNER.

soulaeon
10-18-2012, 12:32 AM
I was responding to the question you posed. Not the technical points of it. You know, the odds of being born into the same family. I assumed you were pushing the actual definition of Reincarnation
lol, actually, we should all push for Turbine's definition of reincarnation and see if first-name changes are technical or intentional. I am assuming technical for various reasons, otherwise I'd agree we should be able to change both if we are in fact being re-born.
Perhaps we are all like Kenny, from South Park.

kilagan800
10-18-2012, 03:47 PM
Slightly off topic as well. Can we change our last name to no last name? Or do we have to put a last name in the place of the old last name? In other words, can we just make it blank?

djl
10-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Slightly off topic as well. Can we change our last name to no last name? Or do we have to put a last name in the place of the old last name? In other words, can we just make it blank?

Yes. You just delete whatever is there and hit "Accept" with it blank.

Dysmetria
10-18-2012, 06:41 PM
Yes. You just delete whatever is there and hit "Accept" with it blank.I've heard for some this doesn't work, and that they have to replace their old surname with a space or two to make it look like they don't have one instead.