PDA

View Full Version : I am a returning to the game after being away for six years

tscott112
10-14-2012, 01:59 PM
Hi,
I am a returning to the game after being away for six years, much has changed and I many way not even the same game I when I started, but I do enjoy. I need to find a group to run with on the weekends on the Thelanis server.
I also need some help or advice and share a weekend experience.
Here is my situation. I’ve had a difficult time finding good groups in the Harbor and Marketplace, so I began running all the quest with a group of hirelings, which has worked ok, but now I am to the point where this is not working so well, and it is not as enjoyable when I run with a good group.
This weekend I had an awful experience on Thelanis. The was a quest I need my ranger to go through and I found a group running it on elite, the leader ran so fast through the quest he left the remaining group behind, he died a lot we all died a couple times, and then he complained about it and complained about the groups hireling healers. At the end our rouge died and our leader completed the quest without us and left the group, with us still in the quest. It was awful. I really thought about leaving the game, but have too much invested now.
With that said I am looking for a group to run with that is not “slash and burn”. I have about five or eight hours on the weekend nights to play. And if someone has gone past level 6 quest with just a group of hirelings I would like to know how, because at this level I have a hard time with just me and five hirelings.

LionHearty
10-14-2012, 02:15 PM
Well,you see,it's like this....Hirelings are just plain terrible,the healers are ...fine but you can't expect much,just leave them at beggining of the quest and call them when you need heals.

I would tell you to buy cure serious potions but...what I'm gonna say is listen to yourself and leave while you can! Cherish your memories of old Stormreach while you still can! RUN YOU FOOLS!

Memnir
10-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Welcome back. :)

Grouping can have those issues, at times. My suggestion would be to try to find a guild. I know Thelanis, while I played there, had many guilds geared towards helping new players (and since you are returning after six years, I hope you don't take offense if I classify you as such). Perhaps think about making a post in the Guilds and Recruitment section of the Thelanis sub-forums looking for a guild who could help you out.

tscott112
10-14-2012, 02:38 PM
Thank you for your thoughts, don't care much for being called a fool however. Why would you say that? I guess I have a different playing style than most, and that is what I am looking for. When I started playing you had to have other players, to make the game work, being self-sufficient was not an option and that is what I am looking for a group working together to make it through a quest.

Merlin-ator
10-14-2012, 02:59 PM
Thank you for your thoughts, don't care much for being called a fool however. Why would you say that? I guess I have a different playing style than most, and that is what I am looking for. When I started playing you had to have other players, to make the game work, being self-sufficient was not an option and that is what I am looking for a group working together to make it through a quest.

He was referring to the AC change in U14. It made the concept of rolling for attack a joke. Don't build a tank with dexterity any more, and don't take feats like Weapon Finesse to help your to-hit. You are pretty much always going to hit or get hit. Dex is a dump stat unless it's a feat prerequisite, like 17 for Greater Two Weapon Fighting (off-hand attack proc goes up to 80%) or 18 for Grandmaster of Air (excellent Monk enhancement) or you need it to help out a class skill.

The combat change has been widely regarded as the worst thing that ever happened to the game. Nobody likes it at all for reasons too numerous to list.

GeneralDiomedes
10-14-2012, 03:06 PM
Since I'm in a permadeath pushing mood today, I'm going to recommend you at least check out one of the larger PD guilds and see how you like it. They play exactly like you describe you want to play, although there are some obvious drawbacks :)

List of PD guilds

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=213535

I have played in Mortal Voyage and The Sublime and would recommend either in a heartbeat.

GeneralDiomedes
10-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Thank you for your thoughts, don't care much for being called a fool however. Why would you say that?

I believe it was a Gandalf quote from Lord of the Rings intended as humour :rolleyes:

LionHearty
10-14-2012, 03:17 PM
I believe it was a Gandalf quote from Lord of the Rings intended as humour :rolleyes:

What he said,no harm meant. :D

Roland_D'Arabel
10-14-2012, 03:19 PM
There are lots of people that play the game without zerg rushing through and leaving party members behind. It doesn't necessarily mean you need to play permadeath.

Having a little bit of self-sufficiency can never hurt but it sounds to me like you really enjoy playing with other people and I would encourage you (like others have said) to seek out a good guild.

The Exploration Society has a lot of people at various levels with various speeds of play and if someone in group is new we are always happy to help them out or slow down the pace for them. Usually you can find at least a few of us on every night and we have players from the EST to PST time zones. Check out our site for more info and welcome back!

The Exploration Society (http://tes.shivtr.com)

ferrite
10-14-2012, 04:20 PM
Welcome back to DDO.

Much has definitely changed in the time you've been away. So much so in fact, that it might even feel like a brand new game. You'll have to relearn a lot of material in addition to all the new content.

I think the first and best thing you can do at this point after such a lengthy hiatus, is instead of jumping right in is to first review some of the updates (http://ddowiki.com/page/News) made to the game, and release notes, in reverse order to familiarize yourself with all the new content and rules.

In regards to you having trouble finding a good group, realize that DDO, being an older game, has passed the bell curve in terms of subscriber base, meaning its pretty much reached its plateau in terms of number of players it can expect to see on any given day. Players come and go (with some players having moved to GW2 at the moment, with some returning and some not), but expect the number of players you see when you log in to be pretty much it at this point. With less players you can expect to be soloing a lot more, and using hirelings and other tricks to get through content primarily designed for player groups. Naturally with less players, raids are run less often and some raids not at all. Something you'll have to take into consideration with older and established games like DDO.

If you want to group more often, consider moving to heavier population servers like Khyber, or possibly Orien. In general Khyber has more higher level players so you would have to be prepared for that, with Orien geard toward newer players.

tscott112
10-14-2012, 07:19 PM
thank you all for your thoughts, ferrite, you have some good thoughts there to think about, i will take a look at Orien, also i think finding a good guild is my key from what i have read. Ronald, i will take a look at the exploration society. it is a very different game than when i played last, i do enjoy and like i said i have come this far i dont want to quit now, just have to find what works for me...

unbongwah
10-15-2012, 11:36 AM
Hi, welcome back to DDO. :)

Some suggestions to improve your gameplay experience:

So much has changed in the last six years, pretend you have to go back to DDO 101 and re-learn all the rules. But rather than trying to (re)learn everything at once, I recommend picking a class which interests you and research the ins & outs of what makes them tick. I think it would be rather overwhelming to try to learn everything about how AC, threat, spellcasting, etc. works all at once. Once you get good with one class, you can move onto another, then another, and so forth.
Unless you enjoy learning on your own (usually thru try-die-retry gameplay), research the quests on the wiki (http://ddowiki.com/) before running them so you know what to expect - and perhaps more importantly, which quests you should skip until you're ready, as some are much more difficult than others at the same level. Don't be ashamed to run quests on Normal or Casual until you learn `em. Leveling's a journey, not simply a means to an end, and should be enjoyed for its own sake, IMHO.
If you can't find a good PUG, then form your own. Make it clear what the ground rules are in your LFM and when people join (e.g., no zerging, byoh, whatever), as well as the fact you're re-learning the game. There are a lot of vets who just want to plow thru quests to power-level ASAP, but there are still others in the same boat as you are. [And then there are idiots like the PUG leader you mention, who want to elite-streak and clearly expect the rest of the party to carry them thru their own incompetence.]
Check out the server forums and look for a newbie-friendly guild that's recruiting; or try to form your own static group.

tscott112
10-15-2012, 12:25 PM
Unbongwah, some good thoughts there, i created myself a rouge on Orien last night and working my way through the first quest again. I think i will take your advice on one character for a few months, as you are right it is like a different game after six years. Thank you for your input.

Limey
10-15-2012, 12:43 PM
Please stop saying rouge

Loromir
10-15-2012, 12:50 PM
Unbongwah, some good thoughts there, i created myself a rouge on Orien last night and working my way through the first quest again. I think i will take your advice on one character for a few months, as you are right it is like a different game after six years. Thank you for your input.

If you plan to run with Hireling, just take one hireling (Cleric). Normal and Hard difficulties scale with the number of characters in the quest and Hirelings to add to the scaling.

You might find the quests to be easier with just one hireling.

Eldaran13
10-15-2012, 03:28 PM
I just came back to the game after a long time away and I am playing a Ranger named Trayeth on Thelanis. Feel free to add me to friends and if I'm online I will do whatever I can with you. I am not very knowledgeable about the game but am always down to make new friends. I am still in Korthos at the moment, but hope to be out of there before the weekend. I am in the Eastern Time zone and normally have the mornings through early afternoon to play on Saturday and a bunch of Sunday too. Let me know!

fco-karatekid
10-15-2012, 03:34 PM

I think he meant "Fly, you fools" from Gandalf during the battle with the balrog.

fco-karatekid
10-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Welcome back to DDO.

Much has definitely changed in the time you've been away. So much so in fact, that it might even feel like a brand new game. You'll have to relearn a lot of material in addition to all the new content.

I think the first and best thing you can do at this point after such a lengthy hiatus, is instead of jumping right in is to first review some of the updates (http://ddowiki.com/page/News) made to the game, and release notes, in reverse order to familiarize yourself with all the new content and rules.

In regards to you having trouble finding a good group, realize that DDO, being an older game, has passed the bell curve in terms of subscriber base, meaning its pretty much reached its plateau in terms of number of players it can expect to see on any given day. Players come and go (with some players having moved to GW2 at the moment, with some returning and some not), but expect the number of players you see when you log in to be pretty much it at this point. With less players you can expect to be soloing a lot more, and using hirelings and other tricks to get through content primarily designed for player groups. Naturally with less players, raids are run less often and some raids not at all. Something you'll have to take into consideration with older and established games like DDO.

If you want to group more often, consider moving to heavier population servers like Khyber, or possibly Orien. In general Khyber has more higher level players so you would have to be prepared for that, with Orien geard toward newer players.

Ok, gotta rep Thelanis - I think OP just found a bad group that day - I only played on three servers and stuck with Thelanis for a reason - there are some really patient and polite folks there. I suspect OP found a group of new blood that know just enough to get themselves into a bind and have no other recourse but attack one another :D

OP - I'll add you to friends, but I still have 4 more levels till I TR, so I think I'm way past you till then.

Eldaran13
10-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Ok, gotta rep Thelanis - I think OP just found a bad group that day - I only played on three servers and stuck with Thelanis for a reason - there are some really patient and polite folks there. I suspect OP found a group of new blood that know just enough to get themselves into a bind and have no other recourse but attack one another :D

OP - I'll add you to friends, but I still have 4 more levels till I TR, so I think I'm way past you till then.

I agree with this. I tried the other servers in the past and when I came back last week and Thelanis just has a great feel to it. I got into a conversation in General with some other people and a bunch of us new guys were invited into a great guild with some really neat people. It's been a great experience so far. I will be staying on Thelanis from now on.

Drakesan
10-15-2012, 03:58 PM
Please stop saying rouge

Rouge, rouge, rouge..... I like rouge's, how come you don't? ;)

OP, welcome back to the game. As others have said, please don't judge on that one group you went with. I see that the vast majority of players in this game are helpful, thoughtful, and generally fun to be around.

As other's have said, there are guilds out there that welcome new, returning, and relatively inexperienced players. If you ever get to Sarlona, and want something, drop me a PM here on the forums, I will hook you up.

Happy Hunting!