PDA

View Full Version : Returning Player: Paths vs Custom??

KiwiPhil889
10-13-2012, 05:16 PM
Ok,so its been quite q while since i last played DDO, and things seem to have changed a wee bit , (that was sarcasm btw lol),.

Anyways, my question. What happened to being able to build your own build??

I don't know that i like the look of being jammed into the suggested build stats/guidelines/feats. You used to be able to build pretty much anything you could dream up,(high dex barb, low int wis, unwise cleric etc etc).Is that still possible and i'm missing it?? or has being able to build your own random build gone the way of the Dodo??

Saravis
10-13-2012, 05:51 PM
Not sure what you're talking about, the custom build option is still there; bottom most selection of build choices.

Unless you mean community expectations. Well then in that case, just ignore them and build what you want.

Ryiah
10-14-2012, 03:54 AM
What happened to being able to build your own build?

Nothing has changed. I think the question you're asking is "Can I build absolutely anything I want and still get into every single group?" and the answer is no.

licho
10-14-2012, 05:54 AM
Ok,so its been quite q while since i last played DDO, and things seem to have changed a wee bit , (that was sarcasm btw lol),.

Anyways, my question. What happened to being able to build your own build??

I don't know that i like the look of being jammed into the suggested build stats/guidelines/feats. You used to be able to build pretty much anything you could dream up,(high dex barb, low int wis, unwise cleric etc etc).Is that still possible and i'm missing it?? or has being able to build your own random build gone the way of the Dodo??

There is still option to create custom builds in character creation and i would advise to make custom build even if you have a break and lose grip. If you are not sure what to pick and how to build you may also ask in right forum for tips.

However while you can create anything (more or less) some very unsynergic builds may have problem to contribute in party questing.

EnjoyTheJourney
10-14-2012, 07:01 AM
Paths are apparently a path to frustration.

They're intended for new players to help them get started. But, unfortunately they were not put together well and they're mechanically quite weak, in general. A moderately well built custom character will greatly outperform the paths, from what I've read on the forums.

Doing enough research to plan out a good build "from scratch" on your own could take quite a bit of time, given the complexity of the game. To get around that and get to actually having fun playing the game more quickly, it's usually relatively simple and quick to search for a build you're interested in playing and/or to ask for one on the forums.

Matuse
10-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Never take a path in any game, no matter what the circumstances are.

Worst case, you make a terrible character and have to reroll.

Ryan220
10-14-2012, 12:19 PM
Hello OP

there are many great builds on the forum from pure to multiclass.

Did you have a class/ playstyle in mind?