PDA

View Full Version : Science Project Help

ShanScathglic
10-12-2012, 12:12 PM
For this year's science fair, I'm doing a project about DDO. I plan to research how different character builds can complete quests. I hope to show contrast in how different builds go about this. As part of this I need help finding low to mid level quests that allow different builds to complete it using different styles. I would really appreciate any help that you could give.

Gkar
10-12-2012, 12:15 PM
How is that a science project?

Oh, and pretty much ALL low and mid level quests allow just about any character build to complete it.

scoobmx
10-12-2012, 01:11 PM
this isnt a science project

Todkaninchen
10-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Perhaps the decision making process for builds in economic terms (opportunity costs, sunk cost effect, trade offs between solo/independent play and obligate cooperation) might be scientific enough, but the math required and the language might be kind of a challenge. Those may fall into game theory and behavioral economics...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunity_cost
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_costs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbiosis (For, say, support classes and builds...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_theory
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_economics

Otherwise, you're probably talking about something that's not that scientific.

LeoLionxxx
10-12-2012, 03:21 PM
I myself have lightly concidered making class papers and/or projects based on video game communities; How long they play, how much money they have put into it and suff like that.

This doesn't SEEM a good idea, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on this and prompt you to please explain how the science project would work, how you would collect the data, and how to prove your hypothesis(s).
And yes, I am genuinly interested on how you plan to go about this and not make it into something that will be severly frowned upon by your peers and teachers. I speak from personal and peer experience when I say that: when stuff about DDO and other video games were the topic of a presentation/paper it got a, passing, but low mark.

Fejj
10-12-2012, 03:26 PM
Level 2 harbor quest - Stealthy Reposetion

Stealth run - Any sneaky character

Invis run - Any UMD / Arcane

Charms - Any Arcane

Ranged Assasin - Any ranged character

Power Zerg - Any

Tactical Zerg - Any

KingOfCheese
10-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Level 2 harbor quest - Stealthy Reposetion

Stealth run - Any sneaky character

Invis run - Any UMD / Arcane

Charms - Any Arcane

Ranged Assasin - Any ranged character

Power Zerg - Any

Tactical Zerg - Any

Yeah--that one seems ideal.

sebastianosmith
10-12-2012, 03:44 PM
I'm not seeing the science here. What's your testable hypothesis? What data are important to either proving or disproving it? Are you going for simple observational or are you planning an actual experiment? How are you going to factor out player knowledge/skill from class/race advantages? This seems ill conceived at best.

If you truly want to use DDO as a basis for your endeavor, might I suggest taking Todkaninchen's advice and relate the in-game economy to various game theory disciplines? That at least appears to be science in some form.

Imatotalnoob
10-12-2012, 04:03 PM
well they are right, U need a question before you can test it to get an answer

My thoughts are "are the ddo ratings of classes on the creation screen,
still accurate" in terms of solo ability: poor, good, etc.

Testing would be playing on a totally new server with no buffs
or gear and doing the 4 village quests.

If there are not enough of a split, do the quests outside too.

Races are all human to remove the added complication.
That should keep up busy.

Cheers

susiedupfer
10-13-2012, 08:21 AM
I would be highly surprised if a teacher approved this.

Drelak
10-15-2012, 03:25 AM
As a multidiciplinary scientist I must say that the easiest way to do scientific study about this subject is the following:

1) Interview some players about the different ways they play the game. Record the interviews.

2) Based on on these interviews and preliminary testing, make assumptions about the ways people play the game.

3) Make a questionare to test those assumptions.

4) Make observations to complement the information gathered in the questionare.

For your original question:
What do you mean by different ways?
Killing things in melee vs. with ranged weapons vs. with spells?
Stealth vs. killing everything vs. just running through with or without invisibility?
Solo, solo with hireling, small group, 6 man group...
Just going for fast completion or several on a row, or breaking boxes and doing optionals?

Sunken sewer has 2 different routes, where one requires open locks. Summoning chamber is a bit similar.
Irestone Inlet is kind of a sandbox, that should allow for different ways of play.
Gwylans stand has lots of traps that are off until the enemies activate them.
Many quests just force you to act in certain way (for example killing quests like Kobold Assault or protection quests like Cannith Crystal).

HongKongKid
10-21-2012, 05:22 AM
Good luck on this proposed endeavor.

Ungood
10-21-2012, 06:39 AM
I would have suggested The Claw of Vulkoor - Level 9

You can Sneak it, Kill it, Zerg it, and any combo thereof.

Allowing you to use a variety of builds to try and get the job done, and see how each handles the quest in it's own way.

Otherwise, Stealthy Repossession is another great option. but someone else mentioned that already.

Nedime
10-21-2012, 07:48 AM
Having (or not having) CC changes the way you can approach a quest.
The number of available buffs too (artie, bard ?) ...
Playing a dungeon in a BYOH group too.

On an individual approach : evasion type, CCer, BBer, ranged, sneaky or heavy hand to hand dps will solve the dungeon in very different ways.

Blockade Buster is also a mid level quest which allows many different tactics : methodic cleaning, stealth approach, red alert run, invis run ...

Miow
10-21-2012, 07:54 AM
Hey at least he's not making a stupid paper maché volcano...common guys give him a chance here.