PDA

View Full Version : epic dungeon tokens for marbar stuff

thingodoom
10-11-2012, 05:53 PM
nm

FestusHood
10-11-2012, 05:58 PM
The cannith challenges are, hands down the easiest source of epic dungeon tokens. Particularly the ones named Time is Money, and Buying Time. Just run them at the same level as your character. They are easy to do solo (with a hireling to help heal you). Turn in the ingredients for dungeon tokens.

Brennie
10-11-2012, 06:03 PM
I highly suggest Cannith Challenges. Quick, 5 minute runs of Time is Money is a very popular way to get epic tokens. Once you get used to being abel to scout the "easy" purple crystal locations, you can get 100+ ingredients per 5 minute running, usually meaning 1 epic token per 10 minutes or so. I usually drag my Panther along to hold the middle, but a healy hireling coudl also be a goo asset to a non healer class, just as long as you take charge to get back and take care of "incomings", without interrupting your kobold crystal gathering.

Another good option is Epic Hard Devil Assault. This is not soloable, but with a half decent CC and any person willing to be even partial healer (With good CC, you really don't need much healing, but its good to have someone who can hold stuff together if your CCers d/c's or is a complete moron). This gives something like a 75% chance of 2 epic tokens per run. Bit slower than challenges, and prone to being ransacked, however there are other goodies you can pull out of those chests, and you get to hang out with other people rather than the empty soul-crushing solitude of challenge farming >_>

sirgog
10-11-2012, 06:16 PM
I highly suggest Cannith Challenges. Quick, 5 minute runs of Time is Money is a very popular way to get epic tokens. Once you get used to being abel to scout the "easy" purple crystal locations, you can get 100+ ingredients per 5 minute running, usually meaning 1 epic token per 10 minutes or so. I usually drag my Panther along to hold the middle, but a healy hireling coudl also be a goo asset to a non healer class, just as long as you take charge to get back and take care of "incomings", without interrupting your kobold crystal gathering.

Another good option is Epic Hard Devil Assault. This is not soloable, but with a half decent CC and any person willing to be even partial healer (With good CC, you really don't need much healing, but its good to have someone who can hold stuff together if your CCers d/c's or is a complete moron). This gives something like a 75% chance of 2 epic tokens per run. Bit slower than challenges, and prone to being ransacked, however there are other goodies you can pull out of those chests, and you get to hang out with other people rather than the empty soul-crushing solitude of challenge farming >_>

I second this (or alternately full group fast, repeated runs of Epic Hard VON3).

Challenges are better if you know *exactly* what you are doing in them. But EH quests are more easily learned.

FestusHood
10-11-2012, 06:33 PM
I second this (or alternately full group fast, repeated runs of Epic Hard VON3).

Challenges are better if you know *exactly* what you are doing in them. But EH quests are more easily learned.

I have very limited experience with actual epic quests, buy i would say any epic hard quest is significantly more difficult to solo than any of the challenges (with the exception of short cuts). I was doing a favor clean up with a level 21 and accidentally stepped into epic hard servants of the overlord when i meant to do heroic hard. Cr 30 mobs vs cr 21 mobs is a pretty noticeable difference.

PNellesen
10-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Hi,

How do I get epic dungeon tokens for level 20 marbar items as a new player?

I may be misunderstanding, but as far as I know none of the Epic Mabar items have Epic slots? Unless something's changed, you don't need Epic tokens to upgrade them to level 20 (or 24 for the upcoming festival).

Arkat
10-11-2012, 08:43 PM
I may be misunderstanding, but as far as I know none of the Epic Mabar items have Epic slots? Unless something's changed, you don't need Epic tokens to upgrade them to level 20 (or 24 for the upcoming festival).

You are correct. The current Epic Mabar items do not have epic slots.

Saravis
10-11-2012, 09:11 PM
Unless something's changed, you don't need Epic tokens to upgrade them to level 20 (or 24 for the upcoming festival).

When did they change that?
I remember Mabar items used to require tokens to upgrade to level 20.
I remember that because that was when I first started running epics.

sephiroth1084
10-11-2012, 09:15 PM

What's your completion time on EH VoN 3 usually?

I'd done some EH Servants of the Overlord runs in about 15-23 minutes, which yield about 1.5 tokens per run, plus a big chunk of XP from optionals. I think VoN 3 probably ends up with more XP overall, but they're close, I think. So Servants is a little more difficult, about the same amount of time (in my experience), and has similar XP, but gives about half a token more (can give 2 tokens I believe).

Meretrix
10-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Anyone else test the mabar dev event? None of the items required epic tokens any more.

BigSlugger
10-11-2012, 10:05 PM

Last Mabar you needed 3 [edit: 1] epic tokens to upgrade a level 16 item to level 20.

brian14
10-12-2012, 08:02 AM
Last Mabar you needed 3 epic tokens to upgrade a level 16 item to level 20.
From what I recall, it was 1 epic token rather than 3. I had just capped a toon for the first time, and ran epic Fathom the Depths several times before getting enough Epic token fragments to crunch into one Epic token -- Red Fens was the only epic pack I had at the time. Still, even one token meant you could not make an ML 20 Mabar item without having a capped character. Now you can.

Therigar
10-12-2012, 08:21 AM
What's your completion time on EH VoN 3 usually?

If you zerg run with a trapper for two key traps at the doors and if you have a reasonably good group then EH VoN3 can be done in <15 minutes. With a really experienced group I've run it in right around 10 minutes per run. It really is no harder than zerg running it at heroic levels for the xp.

The biggest issue is for people like me who routinely PuG. You cannot be sure if the group you get will really be skillful or not. And, you can't be sure that it will be willing to bypass parts of the quest and just zerg pretty much single mindedly towards the final encounter.

I found that people who zerg this quest for TR xp are also the ones to run with on epics in this quest. They are pretty much focused on one thing and one thing only.

In the TR xp chase it is on maxed out xp. In the epic runs it is on getting to the epic chest.

Get with a group like that and the quest takes almost no time at all.

rimble
10-12-2012, 08:38 AM
Another good option is Epic Hard Devil Assault.

Epic Normal is fine too. I usually get two tokens. Not sure how many runs I've done recently, but I'd guess I've gotten two tokens 8 out of 10 times or so...plus various other goodies.

However, if that's too difficult for OP, definitely Time is Money.

sephiroth1084
10-12-2012, 12:30 PM
If you zerg run with a trapper for two key traps at the doors and if you have a reasonably good group then EH VoN3 can be done in <15 minutes. With a really experienced group I've run it in right around 10 minutes per run. It really is no harder than zerg running it at heroic levels for the xp.

The biggest issue is for people like me who routinely PuG. You cannot be sure if the group you get will really be skillful or not. And, you can't be sure that it will be willing to bypass parts of the quest and just zerg pretty much single mindedly towards the final encounter.

I found that people who zerg this quest for TR xp are also the ones to run with on epics in this quest. They are pretty much focused on one thing and one thing only.

In the TR xp chase it is on maxed out xp. In the epic runs it is on getting to the epic chest.

Get with a group like that and the quest takes almost no time at all.
I find that the optionals are worth enough that skipping them is wasteful, especially since most are not too far off the beaten path.

EllisDee37
10-12-2012, 04:24 PM
Epic challenges (cr21) with your free daily tokens. Easiest is buying time, with time is money a close second. If using free daily tokens, just keep buying as much time as you can. If (as a fighter) the marilith in buying time gives you fits, switch to time is money.

Epic normal runs of Claw of Vulkoor and Snitch are probably the easiest way to collect tokens on a solo melee. Black Loch is probably easy too but not sure of how many fragments you get. If you can deal with beholders, von3 is pretty easy as well. I imagine Fathom the Depths is pretty easy too.

Therigar
10-12-2012, 05:39 PM
I find that the optionals are worth enough that skipping them is wasteful, especially since most are not too far off the beaten path.

:)

People are going to do what people are going to do.

And, this is exactly my point regarding the zerg. If your group is focused on the epic chest rather than the xp then the quest can be done really fast.

It is true that the optionals are easy to get to so generally don't take much time. In a full group of experienced players who know when and how to split up there is usually no noticeable difference in how long the quest takes.

Personally, I'd be farming the tokens with a L25 so xp is really secondary. But, I expected this sort of a reply from someone. Still, ~10-13 minutes for eVoN3 IF the group is really skilled.

Therigar
10-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Black Loch is probably easy too but not sure of how many fragments you get.

Bargain of Blood is much easier. Can easily be soloed on epic hard and if you skip all the optionals it can be done in ~7 minutes. I zerg this on my monk fairly often.

You do end up collecting fragments. Somewhere in the 60+ range most of the time.

Black Loch takes much longer and doesn't give more.

EllisDee37
10-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Bargain of Blood is much easier. Can easily be soloed on epic hard and if you skip all the optionals it can be done in ~7 minutes. I zerg this on my monk fairly often.

You do end up collecting fragments. Somewhere in the 60+ range most of the time.

Black Loch takes much longer and doesn't give more.Good to know, thanks much.

willox2112
10-12-2012, 06:22 PM
I am pretty new to Epics, and I have run Black Loch in EN twice and once on EH (different toons each time). In my experience this is the single worst quest to farm anything. Adding up all runs I probably got 10 total fragments, no scrolls, no seals, and really bad XP. I am not bothering with it ever again.

Compare that to EN Spies in the House, where I got a scroll and around 60 tokens total in one run... or EN Chains of Flame, where I got a scroll and a full token in one run.

I second farming Cannith Challenges. In one hour you can easily get 3-5 tokens running Time is Money.

Good Luck and Keep on Rockin'
- Willox2112

Brennie
10-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Epic Normal is fine too. I usually get two tokens. Not sure how many runs I've done recently, but I'd guess I've gotten two tokens 8 out of 10 times or so...plus various other goodies.(...)

Given how easy Epic Hard is for this one, i don't see the point in Epic Normal. And no, i don't mean "if you are super ubergeared veteran multiTR powergamer, its sooooo easy", i mean my first life terrible DPS moderatetly geared favored soul lead this about 15 times in a row, (EDIT: by 15 times in a row, i mean i ransacked it on two consecutive weeks. I suppose thats more like 14 runs seperated by a week of not running it... but you get what i mean :P) with random people on the PUG scene, many of whom were VERY obviously new to the game and frankly not particularly good (Most were competent, some were amazingly good, but sufficed to say its entirely doable with noobs). I usually just tell the group to hug the right portal, keep a disco ball up at all times, and stay in the CC unless you need to hunt down an archer/caster/elemental. Past that, its all gravy. Heck, on my good runs, i used the Cure Light capstone and Renew as my only sources of healing D:

Since you do tend to get better odds on the tokens and named items, epichard seems like teh default setting to me ^_^ but decent CC is a must

sirgog
10-12-2012, 07:45 PM
I should add that I would recommend PUGging anything that you are running for epic tokens rather than soloing.

Soloing in this game is very skill intensive but full groups (even ones that don't work together overly well) are much better.

sephiroth1084
10-12-2012, 10:01 PM
I am pretty new to Epics, and I have run Black Loch in EN twice and once on EH (different toons each time). In my experience this is the single worst quest to farm anything. Adding up all runs I probably got 10 total fragments, no scrolls, no seals, and really bad XP. I am not bothering with it ever again.

Compare that to EN Spies in the House, where I got a scroll and around 60 tokens total in one run... or EN Chains of Flame, where I got a scroll and a full token in one run.

I second farming Cannith Challenges. In one hour you can easily get 3-5 tokens running Time is Money.

Good Luck and Keep on Rockin'
- Willox2112
Well, Black Loch does suck, but the idea behind something like that would be that you can collect 1 token across two runs in less time than it takes to run something like Chains of Flame (or more likely 2 tokens across 4 runs in that amount of time). In the case of the Loch, this isn't true, because it has such a low return, but for Bargain of Blood or some of the other very short epics that yield about 1/2 a token, that is true, if your goal is to get tokens as fast as possible. If you want XP also, or specific loot, then there are better options for some people, but that depends on what you're after.

Aashrym
10-13-2012, 01:46 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Unfortunately I am finding that given my limited quest knowledge, playing ability, resources, and being undergeared
has met with an extremely low success rate with soloing even normal epics.

Currently I only have a few shards to call my own.
looks like I will have to join a group or make my own which I am not looking forward too.
Stopped grouping when I got to about level 14-15 because I got tired of being called a "useless piker" and that was one of the more polite comments I received.

If anyone has a strategy on how to deal effectively with "incoming" in buying time I would love to hear it.

Also, there is obviously a world of difference between the level 20 toons you guys are playing and mine.
Some of the posts make me think that a few of you guys are out of touch with the difficulties of newbs.

Are you in a guild? Usually you can get help that way. I also know several players who started with clerics to make grouping easier with healing until they knew quests better and had better equipment.

I don't find bargain of blood hard to get a group for either if you do start up a group. Players like it because it's a quick epic, like other have mentioned.

sephiroth1084
10-13-2012, 01:59 AM

Unfortunately I am finding that given my limited quest knowledge, playing ability, resources, and being undergeared

looks like I will have to join a group or make my own which I am not looking forward too.
Stopped grouping when I got to about level 14-15 because I got tired of being called a "useless piker" and that was one of the more polite comments I received.

If anyone has a strategy on how to deal effectively with "incoming" in buying time I would love to hear it.

Also, there is obviously a world of difference between the level 20 toons you guys are playing and mine.
Some of the posts make me think that a few of you guys are out of touch with the difficulties of newbs.
You'd get more help probably if you posted your character's build and gear.

As for grouping, you can put up your own LFMs and let people know as they join that you're new, or join LFMs and let them know up front. Yeah, you'll end up with some people dropping or kicking you immediately, but you'll also get some people willing to take you along and either show you the ropes or carry you through content. Ideally, you'll be learning along the way in either case, but you may want to look for "NO zerg" groups, or post your own.

Being in a guild generally helps as well, as you should be able to find a few people to help you learn the game in general, specific quests and your character, and possibly get some help with gear.

Cyndrome
10-13-2012, 02:13 AM

What server do you play on?

EllisDee37
10-13-2012, 04:42 AM
Yeah, I can always use epic tokens. If you're on argo I'd be happy to duo some stuff with you.

While it's true that I may have forgotten a lot of what it's like to be a new player, all my alts would be considered gimp by uber endgame min/maxers. The fact that the threads I posted detailing their builds all have the header "for new players" is the first clue I'm not elite. heh.

(Except the challenge farmer, but he's not a real character since he's staying 15 forever. He's truly elite for 15.)

sirgog
10-13-2012, 04:46 AM

Tell people you are new and don't join epic elite.

New people are usually an asset to a group on Epic Hard if they can listen to occasional instructions. EH really is tuned for full groups of people like you that don't know the quests in advance.