PDA

View Full Version : Do resistance items stack

Spadeathome
10-10-2012, 07:24 PM
if i have a ring of +5 resistance and say a clock +5 resistance will that give me a +10 resistance? I'm sure i read that they do in the forums but can'y find the thread again to check.

Thanks

Brennie
10-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Newp.

Resistance is a "Type", and same type bonuses do not stack.

Things like Morale bonus to saves (Heroism), or Luck bonuses to saves (Good Luck) do stack with resistance however.

Daemoneyes
10-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Newp.

Resistance is a "Type", and same type bonuses do not stack.

Things like Morale bonus to saves (Heroism), or Luck bonuses to saves (Good Luck) do stack with resistance however.

little correction

+5 resistance and +5 resistance will not stack (no matter the +x)
but +x resistance and +x fortitude (and will but not reflex) will stack
thats one of the reasons why i wear Ring of the Mire.
The only +reflex resistance bonus that stacks with +x resistance is the +3 reflex from Nightshield spell.

Other then that only different boni stack as far as i know but heard something about Stability resistance bonus but didnt test that.

JollySwagMan
10-10-2012, 10:16 PM
little correction

+5 resistance and +5 resistance will not stack (no matter the +x)
but +x resistance and +x fortitude (and will but not reflex) will stack
thats one of the reasons why i wear Ring of the Mire.
The only +reflex resistance bonus that stacks with +x resistance is the +3 reflex from Nightshield spell.

Other then that only different boni stack as far as i know but heard something about Stability resistance bonus but didnt test that.

A little correction on your little correction...

Ring of the Mire provides a +4 Resistance bonus to Fortitude saves. It does not stack.
Nightshield is Resistance bonus, and does not stack with Resistance items.
Proof Against Poison and Proof Against Disease provide a stacking bonus to fortitude saves against Poison and Disease respectively (if working correctly :/)
Enchantment save boosting items provide a stacking bonus to Will saves against Enchantments.

Protection Against Evil/Chaos, Holy Aura, used to provide a stacking bonus, that would show up very oddly: Pro Evil's bonus would only be displayed in combat log, whereas Holy Aura's would show up on character sheet. Since U14, it's been reported that the reflex part of Holy Aura is not stacking.

When initially introduced the +10 reflex save items from Reign/Harbinger of Madness stacked, but that was not WAI and has been fixed.

stefferweffer
10-11-2012, 07:25 AM
Selfish interjection here, on a somewhat related matter. Do the added spell points from "of Power X" items stack with "of Wizardry" items? I ask this because while they do the same thing, they are named differently. I found it odd that "of protection" added to AC on top of armor bonuses, so I was hoping I could get more spell points in this way. Thanks.

ReaperAlexEU
10-11-2012, 07:45 AM
Selfish interjection here, on a somewhat related matter. Do the added spell points from "of Power X" items stack with "of Wizardry" items? I ask this because while they do the same thing, they are named differently. I found it odd that "of protection" added to AC on top of armor bonuses, so I was hoping I could get more spell points in this way. Thanks.

the clue to if it stacks or not isnt in the items name, but in the bonuses description below.

of power and wizardry dont stack, however elemental does, which is easy to get on some green steel

Furare
10-11-2012, 07:55 AM
Nightshield is currently stacking with Resistance items, whether it should or not. I have observed this stacking behaviour over the last few weeks while levelling my FvS.

Zipwire
10-11-2012, 08:01 AM
I was just looking into the Stone of Change Resistance Ritual and wondering if it stacks with a +5 Resistance item.

Resistance Ritual - +1 "competence" bonus to saves

+5 Resistance Item - +5 magical "resistance" bonus to saves

So would this stack and give you +6 Resistance?

Dandonk
10-11-2012, 08:03 AM
I was just looking into the Stone of Change Resistance Ritual and wondering if it stacks with a +5 Resistance item.

Resistance Ritual - +1 "competence" bonus to saves

+5 Resistance Item - +5 magical "resistance" bonus to saves

So would this stack and give you +6 Resistance?

Yes, the Stone of Change ritual stacks with a resistance item.

And last time I checked (after I was proven wrong on this), even though the bonus is called "competence" it still stacks with the bard song Inspire Greatness, which grants a compentence bonus to fort saves.

Zipwire
10-11-2012, 08:19 AM
Great, thanks for the info Dandok!

ThreeEyedBob
10-11-2012, 10:49 AM
Lets not forget Parrying items. Parrying +1, Greater Parrying +2 and Superior Parrying +4 and they do stack with regular Resistance.

Daemoneyes
10-11-2012, 12:54 PM
A little correction on your little correction...

Ring of the Mire provides a +4 Resistance bonus to Fortitude saves. It does not stack.
Nightshield is Resistance bonus, and does not stack with Resistance items.
Proof Against Poison and Proof Against Disease provide a stacking bonus to fortitude saves against Poison and Disease respectively (if working correctly :/)
Enchantment save boosting items provide a stacking bonus to Will saves against Enchantments.

Protection Against Evil/Chaos, Holy Aura, used to provide a stacking bonus, that would show up very oddly: Pro Evil's bonus would only be displayed in combat log, whereas Holy Aura's would show up on character sheet. Since U14, it's been reported that the reflex part of Holy Aura is not stacking.

When initially introduced the +10 reflex save items from Reign/Harbinger of Madness stacked, but that was not WAI and has been fixed.

try it before u say nay ;)
cause it stacks or else char sheet and dice are wrong

dlbc
10-11-2012, 01:17 PM

No Wizardry and Power items do not stack unless they have changed something.
Now both will stack with the guild slot power crystal bonus.

DynaTheCat
10-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Stability / Superior stability counts as a regular resistance bonus and does not stack with resistance.

Does not stack with night shield either.

Light and dark shield superior stability +6 confirmed this.

unbongwah
10-11-2012, 03:32 PM
As a general rule, item or spell bonuses of the same type do not stack; only the highest applies. The only exception AFAIK is Dodge bonuses, which will stack with other items which provide a different bonus amount; i.e., a +2% Dodge item will not stack with another +2% item, but it will stack with a +1%, +3%, and/or +4% (leading to a max Dodge bonus of +10% from items). Different types of bonuses will always stack, e.g., a Luck bonus to saves will stack with an enhancement bonus.

To add to the confusion, sometimes it isn't clear what sort of bonus something provides; e.g., Stability items give an enhancement bonus to saves (listed simply as a "resistance" bonus) and a deflection bonus to AC. Bonuses from feats and class & racial abilities will always stack with everything else...except when they don't. E.g., an Acrobat (http://ddowiki.com/page/Thief-Acrobat_enhancements)'s Showtime ability provides a +25% enhancement bonus to run speed which doesn't stack with other enhancement bonuses (e.g., Striding items) and +4 untyped(?) bonus to DEX which AFAICT stacks with anything.

It's all rather needlessly confusing nomenclature, IMHO, which is something of a D&D tradition (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0012.html)...

JollySwagMan
10-11-2012, 11:43 PM
I stand corrected..huh!

So Holy Aura no longer stacks, but Nightshield does...?

Daemoneyes
10-12-2012, 04:57 AM
I stand corrected..huh!

So Holy Aura no longer stacks, but Nightshield does...?

yes, but only the reflex portion of Nightshield.
So it looks like they simply didnt get it done right.

toun
10-12-2012, 10:35 AM
Correction on the correction on the correction:

Greater/Superior Stability +4/+6 is the same bonus as Resistance +5 and SHOULD not stack.

However, it broke recently. Wearing either Resistance +5 or Reflex +5 along with Sup Stability will provide an additional +5 reflex save (fort/will unchanged.)

SealedInSong
11-27-2012, 09:08 PM
Correction on the correction on the correction:

Greater/Superior Stability +4/+6 is the same bonus as Resistance +5 and SHOULD not stack.

However, it broke recently. Wearing either Resistance +5 or Reflex +5 along with Sup Stability will provide an additional +5 reflex save (fort/will unchanged.)

So Nightshield has a broken portion which incorrectly gives a boost to Reflex?
And the ____ stability items will also give an incorrect Reflex boost?

Can anyone confirm this?