PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading the axe Templar's Justice

PTStroth
10-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Hello everyone, I just adquired the dwarven axe Templar's Justice, and I wanted to upgrade to the Epic version. I was told that I need scrolls, shards and seals. I've read that there are more than one kind of each one, so my questions are:
Which kind do I need to upgrade the axe?
Where can I find them?

Thank you in advance for the answers!

unbongwah
10-09-2012, 02:50 PM
http://ddowiki.com/page/Epic_Crafting

Scrolls, shards, and seals drop in epic quests. Scrolls are unbound random drops from monster kills, so they can be traded or sold; shards & seals are BtA chest drops. Shards usually only drop from the final chest in a quest chain, so they're typically the hardest to come by - even more so for raids which can only be run once every 64 hours.

Loromir
10-09-2012, 02:50 PM
You need
Scroll of Templars justice
Shard or Templars justice
Seal of Templars justice

One of each. They most likely drop in the epic Spinner of Shadows quest. Although scrolls might drop is Epic Lords of Dust and Epic Servants of the Overlord.

PTStroth
10-09-2012, 05:24 PM
Thank you both!

Cyndrome
10-09-2012, 05:31 PM
They all drop in any of the quests in the quest chain. Seals drop most frequently in en in side chests(unless they changed in most recent patch). Shards are best farmed on eh end chests (and maybe in one optional in servants). Scroll drop rates are higher on ee, but you might find that they are easier to farm on eh.

sirgog
10-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Shard: Any chest in that chain that does not drop named items. Rare drop. Any epic difficulty, EE highest chance (but not by much).
Seal: Any chest in that chain that drops named items. Very, very rare drop. Should be any epic difficulty, but seems to drop exclusively on Epic Normal due to a bug.
Scroll: Easily attained through trading.

Realistically your best bet is to do the following:

- Form a group to run Epic Normal Lords of Dust 8 times in a row. (On your 9th run in any 168 hour period you will be ransacked, reducing chest loot and removing seals/shards altogether). But form a group where everyone wants different items - maybe a TWF wants the shortswords, you might want the axe and shield, a druid might want the staff, etc. Work together - so if the seal of the shortsword drops for you pass it to the TWF and if the axe shard drops for you, hopefully they will reciprocate.

- Repeat this in Epic Normal Servants of the Overlord and do all the optionals. Chances are you won't get in 8 runs of this with one group.

- If you have alts, you can repeat this process on one. Otherwise wait a week and you can repeat once ransack ends.

In addition once you have the epic axe (might be a while) you will want to decide what to add to its Red Augment Slot. Personally I'd go with 'Red Augment Crystal of Extreme Power' (making the weapon +7) but others will go with the 'Red Augment Crystal of Vampire's Vulnerability' (allowing it to bypass Silver DR and thus work on Pit Fiends as well as Demons and basically everything else.

PTStroth
10-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Wow very nice explanations. I was thinking of making it Silver with the Red Augment Slot (specially for some nasty demons such as the final in VoD). I still don't know how do those slots work, though. This is my first lvl 20 toon so i guess i sill have plenty of stuff to learn.

Again thank you all for the hints!

Persiflage
10-10-2012, 04:26 AM
In addition once you have the epic axe (might be a while)

BAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AA!

*wipes eyes*

That has to be, HAS to be, the Understatement Of The Year, for any year you care to mention. :D I've run those quests to ransack, on three toons, alternating normal and hard, every single week for months and I've got a complete set of scroll, seal, shard for EXACTLY one - count them - ONE item (Golden Guile). I have one scroll/seal pair (Silver Slinger) and two scroll/shard pairs (Doublecross Bow, Templar's Bastion) and assorted seals, scrolls and shards for maybe six or seven other items.

The drop rates in that chain are appalling *. As for the scrolls being easily available through trading, well, all I can say is that your luck is better than mine ;)

Please excuse the slightly hysterical tone, but as you might imagine I'm getting a little... twitchy... about those quests. *presses hand to eye to subdue nervous tic*

Good luck, OP, I admire your optimism. And if you're back on here in a week's time crowing about the acquisition of your shiny new axe, I will personally summon a host of Butt Mephits from the Plane of Intrusive Agony and send them to your house to... well, do things. Nasty things.

No hard feelings :D

__

I am not unfamiliar with statistical methods and fully appreciate that even if I'd run each quest a couple of hundred times, failing to get scroll, seal and shard for a complete item wouldn't even indicate a significant outlier from standard deviation, and that the Universe is not, in fact, out to get me. It just doesn't feel that way ;)

Deathdefy
10-10-2012, 06:00 AM

*wipes eyes*

That has to be, HAS to be, the Understatement Of The Year, for any year you care to mention. :D I've run those quests to ransack, on three toons, alternating normal and hard, every single week for months and I've got a complete set of scroll, seal, shard for EXACTLY one - count them - ONE item (Golden Guile). I have one scroll/seal pair (Silver Slinger) and two scroll/shard pairs (Doublecross Bow, Templar's Bastion) and assorted seals, scrolls and shards for maybe six or seven other items.

The drop rates in that chain are appalling *. As for the scrolls being easily available through trading, well, all I can say is that your luck is better than mine ;)

Please excuse the slightly hysterical tone, but as you might imagine I'm getting a little... twitchy... about those quests. *presses hand to eye to subdue nervous tic*

Good luck, OP, I admire your optimism. And if you're back on here in a week's time crowing about the acquisition of your shiny new axe, I will personally summon a host of Butt Mephits from the Plane of Intrusive Agony and send them to your house to... well, do things. Nasty things.

__

I am not unfamiliar with statistical methods and fully appreciate that even if I'd run each quest a couple of hundred times, failing to get scroll, seal and shard for a complete item wouldn't even indicate a significant outlier from standard deviation, and that the Universe is not, in fact, out to get me. It just doesn't feel that way ;)

Just wanted to say that I am sympathetic.

I have only just begun the pain of getting serious about farming the epic version of the Doublecross Bow from this chain. I'd also like to epic the Sliver Slinger and Darkstorm helm, plus 2 Envenomed Blades for an alt, but those, particularly the blades, are a pipedream.

So far, after 3 weeks of ransack with a guildie (+4 pugs in most runs, though they come and go as LoD normal runs break their spirit), I have 2 seals that I want, and my guidie has 1. We've probably seen 15ish seals total.

I actually have a seal of the templar's justice that I looted because no one else wanted it, so they at least do drop, OP.

Re: Shard farming, we have usually do one EH Servants after the weekly LoD ransack , then one EH Spinner if the group wasn't god-awful in Servants. Going to have to up our game if shards are also dropping poorly. Darn.

Ivan_Milic
10-10-2012, 06:29 AM
I get the most stuff when I dont need them,so go in quest like that,you dont need anything and it will drop for you.
I bought my first eaga scroll,then 2 days after it drops in quest for me,bought my first sos scroll,few days ago it dropped for me,yesterday did my first edeep after motu and got claw gloves shard,did more than 30 runs before expansion and saw it drop only once or twice(in full group).

sirgog
10-11-2012, 05:08 AM

*wipes eyes*

__

It's silly rare, but usually the D-Axe isn't wanted by many people.

Hopefully you are farming in a group where at most two people want the pieces for it (and the others want different bits, or even better epic token fragments/XP only).

stoerm
10-15-2012, 04:04 AM
I will personally summon a host of Butt Mephits from the Plane of Intrusive Agony and send them to your house

+1 Had me laughing out loud. :D

I've managed to epicify exactly one item so far ... the Brimstone Verge. Epic. I did get the Torc on my third try, though. (Chastity belt donned, just to be safe).

Persiflage
10-15-2012, 06:28 AM
+1 Had me laughing out loud. :D

I've managed to epicify exactly one item so far ... the Brimstone Verge. Epic. I did get the Torc on my third try, though. (Chastity belt donned, just to be safe).

LMAO! :D

Don't think that'll save you from justifiable postericide: Butt Mephits get Open Locks as a class skill...

katana_one
10-15-2012, 06:37 AM
Only took me three years to upgrade my first item to Epic. :D

YMMV

stoerm
10-15-2012, 08:04 AM
Butt Mephits get Open Locks as a class skill...

Goodbye to sleep for the next two weeks. :/

:D