PDA

View Full Version : About foreign languages and users.

Targal
10-09-2012, 12:26 PM
I sent this to Turbine Customer Support. and They replied this would be good to be posted here.

------

Hello,
My name is Sejin Park, a Korean user. I have a request and ask for you to let us chat in Korean.
Currently, None of 2 byte over characters can be chatted, so users who use 2 byte language have difficulty to converse each other. for example, If you tried to chat as Korean, Japanese or Chinese and so on, Letters you typed would be changed into "?????", because there's no proper font type for those languages in the game, so the game transformed them as those question marks.
Almost every users who have particular mother language like Korean, Japanese and so on, which is its character is over 2 byte type at Computer environment, have problem that they can hardly converse to chat each other. They have to chat with English, which They are unfamiliar with. (I'll call them as "unchatables" from now on.)

Of course, It's not had to be for them. It's not forced. Primally, Turbine has been serviced for English users including Germans and Frenches. But Unchatables are also want to be good serviced, and the best service for them is to let them chat with their own language.

Before you apply my request to the game, you would think what if foreign languages would be spamming. Yes, It'd be problem. But at least, Unchatables want you to let us chat on the particular chat channels at least, which there's no problem for spamming like Guild channel, Party channel or User Custon Channel. there would be no spamming problem. (But in fact, spamming is already sent as English.)

Unchatable Asian users, Korean, Japanese and Chinese, like and have played your game, even their national game server had been closed(Of course, users of more countries can be counted). The best present and reward for the loyalty of unchatables is to let them to chat with their own language, to chat each other. It's a core.

As a benefit from the viewpoint of my non-existent knowledge of the business administration, It would call foreigners, and would make a profit. It would help at least, won't be unhelpful at all. I can't talk this part well.

Anyway, I hope you have consider to apply my request to the game.

PS. In Guild Wars 2, users can chat foreign language.

------
Edited:
This is confirmed that It's not only for 2 byte characters.
Cyrillic and Greek are 2 byte but able to chat.

Perikeles
10-09-2012, 12:41 PM
As someone who wasn't allowed to use the letters ä and ö in another game I agree with the original poster. Being able to you write with your own alphabet is important.

I hope they implement someway to use korean characters and cyrillics etc etc. :)

Targal
10-09-2012, 12:51 PM
As someone who wasn't allowed to use the letters ä and ö in another game I agree with the original poster. Being able to you write with your own alphabet is important.

I hope they implement someway to use korean characters and cyrillics etc etc. :)

Yeah. Cyrillic will be nice also. there's a lot of many characters the game isn't supporting, and Cyrillic is one of them. So I said as "users of more countries can be counted." :)

Robai
10-09-2012, 03:38 PM
At least in some user channels it should be possible.

Yeah. Cyrillic will be nice also. there's a lot of many characters the game isn't supporting, and Cyrillic is one of them. So I said as "users of more countries can be counted." :)

I did see Cyrillic letters in one of the channels, they are talking in Russian and it works fine.
But I can't type any Cyrillic letters (probably because my windows version and game version are both English, and I guess that they have Russian version of windows or maybe non-unicode language in Windows is specified as Russian under Regional settings).

cwfergtx
10-09-2012, 03:44 PM
It would be great if it had sub titles for the rest of us to enjoy new thoughts and ideals. Since by limiting to English it may be putting off some folks from contributing useful information. I can see how cultures would like to be able to post and carry on conversations in their native languages.

Very good ideal.

Targal
10-09-2012, 05:56 PM
At least in some user channels it should be possible.

I did see Cyrillic letters in one of the channels, they are talking in Russian and it works fine.
But I can't type any Cyrillic letters (probably because my windows version and game version are both English, and I guess that they have Russian version of windows or maybe non-unicode language in Windows is specified as Russian under Regional settings).

unchatables can chat with English alphabet instead of using the character of their native language. but it makes a difficulty of communicstion from the users. If DDO was korean game, when only korean language available, you would have to express "hello." as "헬로우," which has same prounounce for what you tried to type as English.
It's not that you can't converse as your language but it's true you would have something annoying unconvenience.

-----
Edited line: I didn't know cyrillic is able. lol

Daemoneyes
10-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Signed

Mastikator
10-10-2012, 02:13 AM
They'd have to switch character encoding in all chat channels to something that can handle both Latin based alphabets and Korean. Which incidentally UTF-16 can. So /signed

Demiourgos
10-10-2012, 06:28 AM
+1

Targal
10-11-2012, 10:33 AM
I checked some language to be able on the chat.

*chatable language list
Characters based on Latin alphabet.
-Umlaut, Eszett(Germany); Cedilla(French)
-and more characters; Æ, Ð, Ħ, Œ, Ŧ, etc
Greek
Cyrillic

*Unchatable language list
Korean
Chinese(I heard some of them is able. but not confirmed.)
Japanese

Why is none of Asians able? This can be associated to Racial discrimination. :(

Demiourgos
10-11-2012, 10:54 AM
​​I'm one of Koreans, who has difficulty to chat ourselves. As He said, We are difficult to converse each other​.

​We have had this problem since 2007, which the korean server was bursted out. Not only us but some people -Chinese and Japanese- had have this problem also. and Japanese since 2009, their server did. (I can't say when chinese server did, I dunno.)​

​We and they have played 3 years at least(for us, 5 years) but our simple problem has been here without solving.
This is not a large-scale request. the only thing we want is letting us able to chat as our own alphabet.​

Gkar
10-11-2012, 11:01 AM
You will learn to speak American and you will like it!

Seriously though, if it isn't a big deal to include support for other languages in party/guild chat it would seem to be a good thing. I have no idea though how difficult it might be so I'd put it on the "nice to have list", not the "must have list"

Targal
10-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Seriously though, if it isn't a big deal to include support for other languages in party/guild chat it would seem to be a good thing. I have no idea though how difficult it might be so I'd put it on the "nice to have list", not the "must have list"

Yeah. It's like writing English as International Phonetic Alphabet... such as "ɪt's laɪk raɪtɪŋ ɪŋglɪʃ əz ɪntərnӕʃnəl fənetɪk ӕlfəbet."
As you said, It's not must but cool, if done.

kishuya
10-20-2012, 11:46 PM
/signed

kaliptoth
10-21-2012, 02:41 AM
/signed

Titus_Ovid
10-21-2012, 07:03 AM
/signed (OP)

risio
10-21-2012, 09:00 PM
/signed

minhokim96
10-22-2012, 12:35 AM
/signed

Lancelot01
10-22-2012, 01:02 AM
/signed
As other had said, dont know how hard it might be to include this into the game but it be nice for DDO/Turbine to make an effort for those that cannot chat in there own language.

MsEricka
10-22-2012, 01:34 AM
This can be associated to Racial discrimination.

No it can't. It's an english game based in the US. If you don't like that it's not in your language then learn english or wait until they do allow your language.

Yes add two byte language support, but I would go one step further and use translation files. Allow users to submit translations and DDO could be multi lingual in weeks or months instead of years.

DM audio could not be changed so easily, but the DM text could be done with a translation file.

Targal
10-22-2012, 03:29 AM
No it can't. It's an english game based in the US. If you don't like that it's not in your language then learn english or wait until they do allow your language.

Yes add two byte language support, but I would go one step further and use translation files. Allow users to submit translations and DDO could be multi lingual in weeks or months instead of years.

DM audio could not be changed so easily, but the DM text could be done with a translation file.

It's not only my inconvenience, I can talk in English at least. If there was no Korean to converse each other, I would not post this thread.

And this is not also only our inconvenience. Japanese and Chinese have problem like this. It's whole problem of Asian. Ironically, Russian and Greek haven't this. You said It's a game based on US, but what's them? well, They are European.

Yeah, translating game. I thought that idea already. It's nice and cool. but I don't think they allow us to examine the game script, or even if They didn't dislike that idea, They may not want to investigate their personal resource to the part of making the user translation system. above all things, that they make translating system doesn't mean they would add the font into the game.

Anyway, Racial discrimination may be overstatement, I agree. but This is totally suffering Asians, so you would not deny whole of this, I think.
if Unchatable None-Asian was here, just let me know, then Racial discrimination could be overstatement.

bigolbear
10-22-2012, 05:32 AM
Targal:

I wish you the best of luck with this, supporting comunication in game is definately something important to consider.

There is no good reason I can think of not to support this, other than it will double the sise of chat messages from a networking perspective.

considering its such a small amount any ways Im not sseing the issue here.

Gorbadoc
10-22-2012, 09:01 AM

It's a feature that means nothing to me, but it means everything to a minority of players. I say it's worth implementing.

I wonder-- if Korean, Japanese, etc. were supported, how many more players from those countries would be in the game? We'd have some etiquette issues, but I'm sure Ghallanda (the server I know) is mature enough to handle those. Really, the big thing is letting it be known if you don't understand the party's default language. I've had that happen plenty of times, and it's been fine. The upshot of more players (Asian or otherwise) is that 1) it's easier to find a group, and 2) Turbine gets more money (which hopefully they will spend on making new quests).

So, yes, very much /signed.

Edit, just saw this:

Anyway, Racial discrimination may be overstatement, I agree. but This is totally suffering Asians, so you would not deny whole of this, I think.
if Unchatable None-Asian was here, just let me know, then Racial discrimination could be overstatement.
I think of it like the color blind accessibility issue. Color blind people were not able to do certain puzzles. This wasn't intentional discrimination, but it was stupidly unfair to a minority of users. If I remember correctly, the player community generally agreed that the issue needed fixing, and the devs, to their credit, fixed it.

se4040
10-23-2012, 07:27 AM
/signed

Kimhanna
10-31-2012, 12:32 AM
/signed

Targal
02-22-2013, 11:34 AM
I suggested this to support center, but they doesn't answer, even they said posting here is better, but It looks not good... and the sad truth is that we're even gotten fluent in that crazy conversation way. but always ppl are not good at that...

I saw It's set as verdana font at game option. I don't think It's difficult to change font... but It's not allowed to do something for players who are not developer...

Aregantis
02-27-2013, 11:24 AM
/signed
I'm Korean too. well, right, It's pretty difficult to converse each other, so pretty difficult. you guys never know how much it is uncomfortable, or try to chat English as Russian or Greek Letters... "Hello, My name is Aregantis."... It'd be like "Χελλο. μυ ναμε ης Αρεγαντης." in Greek or "Хелло, мы наме ис Aрегантис." in Russian. bah. :p
I don't want anything, even they make bugs with no fixing, or do 60 hours server maintenance work. but there's only one thing that they let us to chat in Korean. just let us to chat in Korean! always we have been disrupted of communication because of that...

I love DDO... you can see my birth of this account. but for years, I can't endure this uncomfortable... It's so harsh...

Dribble
02-27-2013, 01:09 PM
/not signed

...but feel free to add support in /guild chat.

beatitudo
02-27-2013, 07:41 PM
/signed

barycloud
02-27-2013, 08:43 PM
/signed