PDA

View Full Version : Things to reconsider

red_cardinal
10-03-2012, 04:04 PM
There are several things to reconsider and to recode, which appear to me as faulty:

1. Spell cast times.
Difference between some spells in terms of cast times are just wrong.
Take Scorching ray. Wizard's version of the spell has cast time the same as sorcerer's version of the spell.
There are other spells like this, not many though and I think you should have a look-see for each of them.
If one fundamental difference in DDO between wizard and sorcerer is cast time, it should be a general rule
which works for all spells the same. Exceptions shouldn't exist.

2. Run speed.

edit: #2 is affected by carrying capacity so the statements here aren't true.

Sorcerer has a slightly lower run speed than a fighter when using a striding item. This was surely reported before.
I think you have different constants for run speed between classes or you have a mistake somewhere when enhancement bonus from striding kicks in. Please, check it out.
Question: what constant value is BASE_RUN_SPEED?

3. Bow user attack speed.

Words were wasted on this issue. I think you do get the idea that a bow user has to do two things:
- draw arrow,
- fire it.
Well, some mobs, like human rangers in Swiped signet have a very fast attack rate because that they don't draw arrows. They just fire them. Not fair!

Also, when you roll out a new capstone for rangers and if it will be AA bonus of 20% will be the same as is Ranger20 capstone now, please... make sure that it's fair in terms of:
- is it competence bonus or enhancement,
- addition of enhancement bonuses from other sources with a competence bonus - it should STACK properly and the description should be clear. Properly means here that 5% is 5% speed to DRAW and FIRE and that tooltip states the correct number. Bear in mind two animations here and their speed.

4. Feats pass.

There are feats which need to be reviewed. Some weren't touched for a very long time - like Power attack or Slicing blow.
It's staggering to know that melee builds don't take Slicing blow because it's damage as a DoT feat is useless pass level 6 normal content.

Please, review feats so they:
- scale with BAB in damage,
- enhancements (if any) do correct bonus with a certain feat.

Shoot on the run is still broken.
Mobile spellcasting is USELESS for casters. Casters JUMP and FF and during that process they cast a spell. Why have such a useless feat?

5. Bonuses from prestige enhancements.

When you do new prestiges, don't just take old code and combine it with the new UI. That's silly.
For example, Virtuoso's sustaining song. If after new pass it will give bonuses like it does now - you didn't do your job right. Please, make sure it's a viable utility to use on EE as well as at level 12 normal. Make it work so it takes bard levels into account. At level 12 it could do what it does now, but at 20 it should be 8-12 hp every 3 seconds.
That would be interesting.

6. Wand usage.

Artificer is magnificent and fun only because of crossbow and turret + dog here and there.
Artificer as a wand user and only wand user for most of the fights would be fantastic.
But the problem is that wanding is NOT a viable build to do because caster levels on wands are low and wands have very long cooldown. They're not fun to use right now. Please, explore dynamics of wand usage and its damage output. I would love to build an arcane tinkerer which uses wands and blasts things. Also, adding some enhancements to artificer tree to lower cooldown and make cast time faster would be awesome.

Also, CAST TIME... I don't know, but it seems that it's the same for wizards as it is for sorcerers. IMHO, cast time for wizards should be as it is and for sorcerers faster, like when they cast their spells. For artificers and other classes that UMD wands - enhancements based on race and class would be awesome.

7. Trapsmithing.

This is a forgotten concept. I'm not against how it is now except that a mechanic rogue is a lame way to fight.
It's just not fun. The following is wrong:
- damage output is lame - both for grenades and mines,
- DCs of mines and grenades doesn't scale with INT bonus - neither for artificer or rogue. DCs need to be viable for a 40 INT rogue at level 25 in EE content. Scaling DCs is a big issue here.
- grenade ARCing not good - could you speed it up (STR modifier higher, animation faster)? Also arc height should be lower so I don't hit the ceiling when targeting a kobold 30 meters away from me.
- time when a mine sits into place - can you make it faster? Or better yet to toss it and let it slide to the desired location. Now you have a cool new physics engine - why not use it?

IMHO, trapsmithing should be affected highly by INT bonus and prestige bonuses for artificers and mechanic rogues.
It's not that big deal - you just need a little scaling.

Barter UI is good enough and items as they are now are ok.

8. Bonuses report and character sheet.

I don't think you should put bonuses report into general chat. You shouldn't put it into combat log either.
You should make character sheet broader and list all things there by hovering over an item or add a new tab
and put bonuses there.

To hit is an issue here. It doesn't belong into inventory screen - it belongs to the character sheet.

9. Combat log.

Entries as such would be appreciated:
You cast Finger of death on Scrag. Scrag saves! 34 DC < x.

x in this case is the number Scrag rolled. It would help immensely if you wouldn't hide such data.

10. Old items from old packs.

You did a loot buff on 3BC. I don't know if that gave you higher sales, but XP buff would come in handy.
Threnal & Sorrowdusk could use a touch on static loot.

Threnal ceremonial blade - It's a unique longsword/shortsword. Add some effects to it. It's worth the effort. You're not in 2006 when +5 longsword was luxury.

Also, give Coyle Chain missiles, but not more HP. That would be fun. }:-]

11. Sliding monsters.

Haha... I sneak up to a bunch of kobolds. One of them hears me. But as it moves towards my location wrong animation is played (animation where kobold is standing still and being straight). You should either:
a) show animation of kobold walking while AI is in search/listen state,
b) root kobold into place when in search/listen state.

The same is happening on other mobs. Hobgoblins, orcs, etc. It's just bad coding.

12. Sneaking as a gameplay concept.

Oh boy... You forgot about this one.
While in sneak mode, a character can't use a lever and therefore cannot complete some quests where sneaking is vital. It doesn't even have to be intended to complete a quest, but rather pass some encounter. I think you should ALLOW to be that way. After all, sneaking is fun. Why not allow insidius cunning bonuses to happen for characters who go that way. It would be really fun. :)

Rangers - deepwood snipers - fun times... Although, not really like Skyrim archery and sneaking. To bad this concept is undeveloped.

13. Monster AI.

I think you didn't bother much after level 10 to make much difference in what spells/skills mobs use on different difficulties.
For instance, when running Bloody crypt on normal - Wight casters have and use different spells.
On hard - they have hold person - can ruin a player.
On elite - they have something else.

It's sad you're not creative enough to implement AI with care for a specific difficulty. Maybe you don't have time and personnel to do that, but it would be fun.
I have to admit it's LAME to just make AI of a Drow archer for normal difficulty and then for higher diff you just scale up damage output. At least give him poison arrows, precision, higher rate of fire, not just damage. This also goes for casters.

AI patterns are somewhat overused. Troll AI ~ Ogre AI ~ Scrag AI ~ Deathblood troll. I know they are giants, but higher CR should at least have a thing or two different, not just damage output. Give them new feats at least if you won't add new animation and textures.

Ranged mobs tend to shoot into walls even if they don't see targets. They don't chase, they stand there and shoot. Try looking at undead archers in Black loch or human archers in Swiped signet. You didn't touch that for a long time.

Caster mobs and target unreachable. Troglodyte shaman tends to jump in place when he can't reach a target with his spells. At least give him a chill pill so he won't hop.

Vermin. I don't know why you can't sneak pass vermin and some undead... What - do they use SMELL skill or something? Or you buffed their LISTEN so that no MOVE SILENTLY and HIDE is good enough?

14. Basic weapons and attack types

A longsword can be used for slashing and for stabbing. Therefore it does a slash and piercing attack.
Please, fix attack sequences so that for each animation a correct attack type is done to target.
Entries in combat log:
Swing 1: You attempt to hit target x with a slashing attack. You roll 4 (9 + 4 > 10) and hit. You do 9 damage from which 5 was blocked by damage reduction.
Swing 2: You attempt to hit target x with a slashing attack. You roll 17 (9 + 17 > 10) and hit. You do 11 damage from which 5 was blocked by damage reduction
Swing 3: You attempt to hit target x with a piercing attack. You roll 12 (9 + 12 > 10) and hit. You do 17 damage.

This also includes changing damage type modifiers to almost ALL weapons. Quarterstaff remains the same, however, morningstar doesn't. Heavy mace attack animation sequence has to have a removed Swing 3. You only do 1-2, 1-2 since Swing 3 is PIERCING and heavy mace can't be used to pierce. (if it looks bad, it IS bad).

Cleave animations. If you hit with a Cleave, then show it like that. If you hit with a greater cleave, then show it like that. If you hit with whirlwind attack, show it like that. Don't use the same animation for all 3 things. It's just lame.
After all, since almost every attack is in some way a cleave attack (especially the slashing weapons), I do think you should change attack animations.

A little thought on light and heavy crossbows. These weapons were perhaps great for the time when the level cap was 10 and there was no scaling. But now, they're lame. Can't you buff them up somehow or nerf repeaters?
Putting a sorcerer hireling with a crossbow into the game is lame when that crossbow is so uneffective it's useless. Also, in your MOTU content, Drow warriors and peasants tend to use a crossbow as an attack once every now and then. That's lame! Make that attack do something - apply poison and give it a bigger to-hit.

15. Some skills need changes.

Heal, repair - add some use to it while using heal/repair kits. Allow the usage of kits on self even when not incapacitated. It's magic and it should be useful. If you can do anything in a cartoon, why not do it in a computer game? Who says it should only be used on incapacitated character?! That's just lame. It's just another trash nobody has use for, like collectables before you introduced Cannith crafting.

Listen - I guess nobody does use it. I can't think of a way when and why to use it. :) Spot is superior to listen any day.

Intimidate - it does need a lower cooldown. To a tank build this is crucial because you can actually use a intimitank to control a group of monsters. Most beatdowns of various trash is pretty fast, but on EE it would be nice to intimidate a few more times per pack of mobs and backstab/cast/toss grenades at them. It's more about the fun factor.

16. Divine classes spell pass.

I know I shouldn't play a divine caster as a sorcerer or a wizard, but why give them spells that are just weak?

Flamestrike - trash spell. It should be truly a flame strike! The problem here is low damage and cast time. Why is there 1/2 damage untyped and 1/2 fire? Just make it fire all the way. It's FLAMESTRIKE, not HOLY SMITE.
Also, why is it so slow? It's over a second before it hits. Why not just make it like cometfall, but a few hundred miliseconds slower? FVS - divine caster to heal and to destroy - true, it is, but it's not useful to use that spell. It's not buffed properly.

Firestorm - to much delay before it hits.

Obscuring mist - to slow cast time. Make it faster for all mist/clould spells for all classes to be cast faster.

x y z Wounds spells - shame the numbers are so low. It would be fun to see damage buffed here and also to add a spell power line for negative energy spells. Come on, make divines fun for blasting.

Nimbus of light, Deific vengeance, Searing light - these spells are capped to fast. Ok, nimbus of light I understand, but come on. You're acting like the level cap is 10 and there's no HP scaling on mobs.

Dispel magic - mobs buff themselves to little to use this spell on a paladin or any other caster.

Contagion - allow empower and maximize on this spell. If it works on Poison, why it doesn't work here?

Chaos hammer, Order's wrath, Holy smite, Unholy blight - buff up base damage and level cap please. Also, let negative energy/positive energy/light spell power enhancements affect these spells.

Symbol of fire - buff up damage and let it cause explosion (change animation).

Glyph of warding/Greater glyph of warding - buff up damage and increase damage cap according to spell level.

Druid form abilities - remove them from spell list and redo them as SLAs.

Snare/spiked growth - increase damage, shorten cast time.

Reincarnate - please, 2 seconds cast time is enough!

Cold breath - fix this cone of cold already...

Druid heal dots - buff them up a bit.

Sleet storm - add a DC so we see in the tooltip which is it.

Zeal - sacred haste 10% please. Paladins deserve it!

Holy sword - holy blast, chance to do 100 light damage on vorpal... something like that?

Ranger summons - ok, no pet - it's fine. But CRs of those summons are just silly. Raise them please.

Buffing us means buffing mobs. I agree. Do it.

After all, it's far better to modernize/modify/adjust existing system than to build a new one.

So many wishes, so little resources. :P

red_cardinal
10-03-2012, 04:32 PM
While I do understand to some point that Turbine is pushing things forward, that LOTRO their primary milking cow and DDO is a dog near it, that they don't like to revisit old things and redo them or modify them to much because old stays old... Most of the things I've written is just a numbers issue. I'm not much familiar with how much work would that be but it's certainly not ripping the whole code apart and starting from nothing so it can be done in a reasonable time frame. My English isn't so good so excuse me, but I do think that DDO is the best you can get where D&D implementations are today and it should be fixed and polished a little more to make gaming experience renewed and fun (even if it means running Delera's for a 100th time).
There's enough content in the game now and more will come.

Other things I'd criticize are services they offer, such as in-game support, faulty transactions, charging for character transfer, etc. But I'm not familiar with that to much.

Character transfer should be more liberal and cost 1000 TP and be payable with in-game store. They already have the code done - it's just not integrated. To bad.

StoptheRock
10-04-2012, 05:22 AM
As for number 1, I think that is covered by cooldown timers. Sorcerers do have reduced cooldowns compared to wizards, which in practice translates to faster casting times.

This game has lots of relatively useless spells/feats/weapons. Although I kind of think "gimping your first toon" is a rite of passage in ddo, it would be nice to make all those resources competitive again. Hopefully the enhancement pass will take care of that (rogue mechanic giving a huge boost to trap-making, rogue assassin +2 to assassinate DC when wielding daggers, etc).

Making those forgotten feats, spells and weapons fun and competitive again (even just for some niche builds) is the way to go, instead of creating completely new things which would take more dev time investment.

Oh! And of course don't nerf anything in order to make other things interesting (leave repeating xbow as it is!)

Syllph
10-04-2012, 06:47 AM
As for #2 run speed:

I did quite a bit of testing a while back and never saw a difference between a fighter and a sorc in terms of run speed. A barbarian or monk, sure.

Do you have any documented evidence of this? I ran with two fighters while I was on a sorc for several lives.

Nospheratus
10-04-2012, 07:40 AM
9. Combat log.

x in this case is the number Scrag rolled. It would help immensely if you wouldn't hide such data.

No.

This is something players should not be allowed to see. MAYBE if you have a high enough "score" in the MM for that particular monster, you could see their unmodified saves in the MM or some information about it, such as, "High Fort, Low Will" etc.

A longsword can be used for slashing and for stabbing. Therefore it does a slash and piercing attack.
No it doesn't. A longsword is slashing only...
The only weapons we have at the moment that could have two damage types are:
- Morningstar (blundgeoning AND piercing)
- Dagger (slashing OR piercing)

Heal, repair - add some use to it while using heal/repair kits. Allow the usage of kits on self even when not incapacitated. It's magic and it should be useful.
It's not magic... A heal/repair kit is a mundane kit that helps you "heal" or "mend" yourself or others. Agree that you should be able to use it on yourself while conscious. It would give a new meaning to the heal/repair skills and perhaps even provide some sort of self-healing ability for non-divine characters out of combat. (please lets not start the BYOH drama again)

Intimidate - it does need a lower cooldown. To a tank build this is crucial because you can actually use a intimitank to control a group of monsters. Most beatdowns of various trash is pretty fast, but on EE it would be nice to intimidate a few more times per pack of mobs and backstab/cast/toss grenades at them. It's more about the fun factor.
No.

It used to have a low cooldown and it led to a lot of characters dumping all STR and using shield block+intimidate repeatedly. It absolutely does not add any fun to the game...

Many spells are already very good, but not all should be the absolute best (this frase by itself doesn't even make sense :p).

I wouldn't make a spell pass a priority right now.

red_cardinal
10-04-2012, 11:12 AM
As for #2 run speed:

I did quite a bit of testing a while back and never saw a difference between a fighter and a sorc in terms of run speed. A barbarian or monk, sure.

Do you have any documented evidence of this? I ran with two fighters while I was on a sorc for several lives.

AH, sorry... Run speed is reduced by carrying capacity.

red_cardinal
10-04-2012, 11:19 AM
No.

This is something players should not be allowed to see. MAYBE if you have a high enough "score" in the MM for that particular monster, you could see their unmodified saves in the MM or some information about it, such as, "High Fort, Low Will" etc.

We have to see it. We see that roll when doing disable on a trap. Why hide data on spell casting?

No it doesn't. A longsword is slashing only...
The only weapons we have at the moment that could have two damage types are:
- Morningstar (blundgeoning AND piercing)
- Dagger (slashing OR piercing)

Absolutely not. Longsword is always pointy and therefore can be used for stabbing attacks. That's why it's also a piercing weapon.
Sickle on other hand is slashing only.
Dagger is slashing and piercing as well as shortsword.
Rapier is piercing only.

Many spells are already very good, but not all should be the absolute best (this frase by itself doesn't even make sense :p).

I wouldn't make a spell pass a priority right now.

You're so wrong. If they did that it would be a huge novelty to the way divine classes are played and if it would be done for the enhacement pass or 1 update after, many characters would be rerolled just for fun.

redspecter23
10-04-2012, 11:37 AM
I would make the Threnal blades x3 crit and +3 craftable (not able to be raised, like Cannith crafted). I could definitely see myself farming up some of those for leveling.

Maybe level 8 min level for the base item, lowered to level 6 with master craftsmanship which makes it quite competitive for the level, then up to level 12 with crafted properties on it. It levels up with you to an extent at that point. The theme of the item is retained as it's basically a plain looking weapon, but has so much more potential.

For end rewards from old packs, the easiest thing to do to keep them viable is just lower the min levels on them so that they are useful. If most of the Delera's end rewards were min level 0-3 (Carnifex, 4) you would see people wearing them while leveling, which is more use than they have now. It may make them essentially TR twink items only, but at least they get used.

Urist
10-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Mobile spellcasting is USELESS for casters. Casters JUMP and FF and during that process they cast a spell. Why have such a useless feat?
Personally, I would suggest that: spells with a somatic component can't be cast while jumping or slow-falling (monk); while FF'ing is a grey area - how much does a character have to keep their balance when FF, or do they magically stay upright?

Spells without a somatic component should have no effect on movement; ie. they can always be cast while moving at normal speed, jumping, climbing(!), dancing(!), picking your nose, scratching your bum, etc.

The mobile spellcasting feat should permit somatic-casting while running at full pelt, as well as casting while jumping, etc. - just as if the spell had no somatic component (ASF aside).

Talon_Moonshadow
10-04-2012, 12:06 PM
I think you need to re-examine your opinion about Artificers and wands.. at least for lvl 20 Artificers.

However.... I have too much other stuff in my inventory to carry all of the wands and clickies that suddenly become usful (for lvl 20 Artificers only. :( )

I wish there was a feat or something that other classes could take to get use out of wands and clickies too.

But my Arty hardly needs them anyway. I do most dungeons just fine with a crossbow and a rune arm. Seems kinda silly to stop killing things and use a wand of suggestion instead....

rdasca
10-04-2012, 12:52 PM

There are several things to reconsider and to recode, which appear to me as faulty:

1. Spell cast times.
Difference between some spells in terms of cast times are just wrong.
Take Scorching ray. Wizard's version of the spell has cast time the same as sorcerer's version of the spell.
There are other spells like this, not many though and I think you should have a look-see for each of them.
If one fundamental difference in DDO between wizard and sorcerer is cast time, it should be a general rule
which works for all spells the same. Exceptions shouldn't exist.
Cool downs already do this … less cool down time = more cast
2. Run speed.

edit: #2 is affected by carrying capacity so the statements here aren't true.

Sorcerer has a slightly lower run speed than a fighter when using a striding item. This was surely reported before.
I think you have different constants for run speed between classes or you have a mistake somewhere when enhancement bonus from striding kicks in. Please, check it out.
Question: what constant value is BASE_RUN_SPEED?

Words were wasted on this issue. I think you do get the idea that a bow user has to do two things:
- draw arrow,
- fire it.
Well, some mobs, like human rangers in Swiped signet have a very fast attack rate because that they don't draw arrows. They just fire them. Not fair!

Also, when you roll out a new capstone for rangers and if it will be AA bonus of 20% will be the same as is Ranger20 capstone now, please... make sure that it's fair in terms of:
- is it competence bonus or enhancement,
- addition of enhancement bonuses from other sources with a competence bonus - it should STACK properly and the description should be clear. Properly means here that 5% is 5% speed to DRAW and FIRE and that tooltip states the correct number. Bear in mind two animations here and their speed.
pretty much a dead horse, but sure.
4. Feats pass.

There are feats which need to be reviewed. Some weren't touched for a very long time - like Power attack or Slicing blow.
It's staggering to know that melee builds don't take Slicing blow because it's damage as a DoT feat is useless pass level 6 normal content.

Please, review feats so they:
- scale with BAB in damage,
- enhancements (if any) do correct bonus with a certain feat.

Shoot on the run is still broken.

When you do new prestiges, don't just take old code and combine it with the new UI. That's silly.
For example, Virtuoso's sustaining song. If after new pass it will give bonuses like it does now - you didn't do your job right. Please, make sure it's a viable utility to use on EE as well as at level 12 normal. Make it work so it takes bard levels into account. At level 12 it could do what it does now, but at 20 it should be 8-12 hp every 3 seconds.
That would be interesting.

6. Wand usage.

Artificer is magnificent and fun only because of crossbow and turret + dog here and there.
Artificer as a wand user and only wand user for most of the fights would be fantastic.
But the problem is that wanding is NOT a viable build to do because caster levels on wands are low and wands have very long cooldown. They're not fun to use right now. Please, explore dynamics of wand usage and its damage output. I would love to build an arcane tinkerer which uses wands and blasts things. Also, adding some enhancements to artificer tree to lower cooldown and make cast time faster would be awesome.

Also, CAST TIME... I don't know, but it seems that it's the same for wizards as it is for sorcerers. IMHO, cast time for wizards should be as it is and for sorcerers faster, like when they cast their spells. For artificers and other classes that UMD wands - enhancements based on race and class would be awesome.
no way arti’s already have more than enough perks, no need for anything like this.
7. Trapsmithing.

This is a forgotten concept. I'm not against how it is now except that a mechanic rogue is a lame way to fight.
It's just not fun. The following is wrong:
- damage output is lame - both for grenades and mines,
- DCs of mines and grenades doesn't scale with INT bonus - neither for artificer or rogue. DCs need to be viable for a 40 INT rogue at level 25 in EE content. Scaling DCs is a big issue here.
- grenade ARCing not good - could you speed it up (STR modifier higher, animation faster)? Also arc height should be lower so I don't hit the ceiling when targeting a kobold 30 meters away from me.
- time when a mine sits into place - can you make it faster? Or better yet to toss it and let it slide to the desired location. Now you have a cool new physics engine - why not use it?

IMHO, trapsmithing should be affected highly by INT bonus and prestige bonuses for artificers and mechanic rogues.
It's not that big deal - you just need a little scaling.

Barter UI is good enough and items as they are now are ok.
I can see the merit in these ideas; my rogue only collects trap parts so my druid can make collars.

I don't think you should put bonuses report into general chat. You shouldn't put it into combat log either.
You should make character sheet broader and list all things there by hovering over an item or add a new tab
and put bonuses there.
either way
To hit is an issue here. It doesn't belong into inventory screen - it belongs to the character sheet.
again either way
9. Combat log.

no thank you, this will lead to “oh the Scrag’s in this quest have a save of 35, what is your DCs? Oh only 30, sorry we need someone with no fail DCs”. I do realize this happens somewhat now, but your idea would make it pretty much the standard.

You did a loot buff on 3BC. I don't know if that gave you higher sales, but XP buff would come in handy.
Threnal & Sorrowdusk could use a touch on static loot.
not really, for a first life new toon there are some good stuff in those packs.
Threnal ceremonial blade - It's a unique longsword/shortsword. Add some effects to it. It's worth the effort. You're not in 2006 when +5 longsword was luxury.
I still have one from my first toon ever, I was so proud I beat all those waves and got the sword … it is in my TR cache and none of my other toons have ever even been there, so yes an upgrade would be nice.
Also, give Coyle Chain missiles, but not more HP. That would be fun. }:-]
do what you want with him, if I need the cloak and have to run this quest I am still going to knock him out.
11. Sliding monsters.

Haha... I sneak up to a bunch of kobolds. One of them hears me. But as it moves towards my location wrong animation is played (animation where kobold is standing still and being straight). You should either:
a) show animation of kobold walking while AI is in search/listen state,
b) root kobold into place when in search/listen state.

The same is happening on other mobs. Hobgoblins, orcs, etc. It's just bad coding.
minor thing, but sure fix it

While in sneak mode, a character can't use a lever and therefore cannot complete some quests where sneaking is vital. It doesn't even have to be intended to complete a quest, but rather pass some encounter. I think you should ALLOW to be that way. After all, sneaking is fun. Why not allow insidius cunning bonuses to happen for characters who go that way. It would be really fun. :)

Rangers - deepwood snipers - fun times... Although, not really like Skyrim archery and sneaking. To bad this concept is undeveloped.

13. Monster AI.

I think you didn't bother much after level 10 to make much difference in what spells/skills mobs use on different difficulties.
For instance, when running Bloody crypt on normal - Wight casters have and use different spells.
On hard - they have hold person - can ruin a player.
On elite - they have something else.

It's sad you're not creative enough to implement AI with care for a specific difficulty. Maybe you don't have time and personnel to do that, but it would be fun.
I have to admit it's LAME to just make AI of a Drow archer for normal difficulty and then for higher diff you just scale up damage output. At least give him poison arrows, precision, higher rate of fire, not just damage. This also goes for casters.

AI patterns are somewhat overused. Troll AI ~ Ogre AI ~ Scrag AI ~ Deathblood troll. I know they are giants, but higher CR should at least have a thing or two different, not just damage output. Give them new feats at least if you won't add new animation and textures.

Ranged mobs tend to shoot into walls even if they don't see targets. They don't chase, they stand there and shoot. Try looking at undead archers in Black loch or human archers in Swiped signet. You didn't touch that for a long time.

Caster mobs and target unreachable. Troglodyte shaman tends to jump in place when he can't reach a target with his spells. At least give him a chill pill so he won't hop.

Vermin. I don't know why you can't sneak pass vermin and some undead... What - do they use SMELL skill or something? Or you buffed their LISTEN so that no MOVE SILENTLY and HIDE is good enough?

long swords are slashing, by your logic a great sword can be piercing, sorry it is not the way it works, can you pierce with any pointy object? Sure, but in D&D (and DDO) long swords are classified as slashing referencing their earliest designs in real world history, though the sword got pointer as armors got better.

Please, fix attack sequences so that for each animation a correct attack type is done to target.
Entries in combat log:
Swing 1: You attempt to hit target x with a slashing attack. You roll 4 (9 + 4 > 10) and hit. You do 9 damage from which 5 was blocked by damage reduction.
Swing 2: You attempt to hit target x with a slashing attack. You roll 17 (9 + 17 > 10) and hit. You do 11 damage from which 5 was blocked by damage reduction
Swing 3: You attempt to hit target x with a piercing attack. You roll 12 (9 + 12 > 10) and hit. You do 17 damage.

This also includes changing damage type modifiers to almost ALL weapons. Quarterstaff remains the same, however, morningstar doesn't. Heavy mace attack animation sequence has to have a removed Swing 3. You only do 1-2, 1-2 since Swing 3 is PIERCING and heavy mace can't be used to pierce. (if it looks bad, it IS bad).

Cleave animations. If you hit with a Cleave, then show it like that. If you hit with a greater cleave, then show it like that. If you hit with whirlwind attack, show it like that. Don't use the same animation for all 3 things. It's just lame.
After all, since almost every attack is in some way a cleave attack (especially the slashing weapons), I do think you should change attack animations.

A little thought on light and heavy crossbows. These weapons were perhaps great for the time when the level cap was 10 and there was no scaling. But now, they're lame. Can't you buff them up somehow or nerf repeaters?
Putting a sorcerer hireling with a crossbow into the game is lame when that crossbow is so uneffective it's useless. Also, in your MOTU content, Drow warriors and peasants tend to use a crossbow as an attack once every now and then. That's lame! Make that attack do something - apply poison and give it a bigger to-hit.

Heal, repair - add some use to it while using heal/repair kits. Allow the usage of kits on self even when not incapacitated. It's magic and it should be useful. If you can do anything in a cartoon, why not do it in a computer game? Who says it should only be used on incapacitated character?! That's just lame. It's just another trash nobody has use for, like collectables before you introduced Cannith crafting.
not magic, but other than that sure
Listen - I guess nobody does use it. I can't think of a way when and why to use it. :) Spot is superior to listen any day.

no way, most good tanks use intim at the right times, requiring strategy and some thought, not just spamming a button over and over.

I know I shouldn't play a divine caster as a sorcerer or a wizard, but why give them spells that are just weak?

Flamestrike - trash spell. It should be truly a flame strike! The problem here is low damage and cast time. Why is there 1/2 damage untyped and 1/2 fire? Just make it fire all the way. It's FLAMESTRIKE, not HOLY SMITE.
Also, why is it so slow? It's over a second before it hits. Why not just make it like cometfall, but a few hundred miliseconds slower? FVS - divine caster to heal and to destroy - true, it is, but it's not useful to use that spell. It's not buffed properly.

Firestorm - to much delay before it hits.

Obscuring mist - to slow cast time. Make it faster for all mist/clould spells for all classes to be cast faster.

x y z Wounds spells - shame the numbers are so low. It would be fun to see damage buffed here and also to add a spell power line for negative energy spells. Come on, make divines fun for blasting.

Nimbus of light, Deific vengeance, Searing light - these spells are capped to fast. Ok, nimbus of light I understand, but come on. You're acting like the level cap is 10 and there's no HP scaling on mobs.

Dispel magic - mobs buff themselves to little to use this spell on a paladin or any other caster.

Contagion - allow empower and maximize on this spell. If it works on Poison, why it doesn't work here?

Chaos hammer, Order's wrath, Holy smite, Unholy blight - buff up base damage and level cap please. Also, let negative energy/positive energy/light spell power enhancements affect these spells.

Symbol of fire - buff up damage and let it cause explosion (change animation).

Glyph of warding/Greater glyph of warding - buff up damage and increase damage cap according to spell level.
every casting class has spells that are weak, but come on up divine attack spells? Ummm no. BB, implosion, slay living, destruction, command, ect … there are more than enough choices without making low level spells useable in EE content, also remember as much as Turbine seems to forget the fact DDO is D&D based and these spells have been around a long time, to change them for no real good reason is wrong.
Druid form abilities - remove them from spell list and redo them as SLAs.
why?
Snare/spiked growth - increase damage, shorten cast time.
meh, silly spells in the current quest style of DDO, they are pen and paper spells that do not translate well at all.
Reincarnate - please, 2 seconds cast time is enough!

Cold breath - fix this cone of cold already...

Druid heal dots - buff them up a bit.

Sleet storm - add a DC so we see in the tooltip which is it.
better yet remove it :D
Zeal - sacred haste 10% please. Paladins deserve it!

Holy sword - holy blast, chance to do 100 light damage on vorpal... something like that?
unfortunately another concept that does not translate well, by the time a pally gets to cast holy sword in pen and paper they are pretty bad a$$, but in DDO not so much.
Ranger summons - ok, no pet - it's fine. But CRs of those summons are just silly. Raise them please.
meh, I would like it from a person that plays a ranger, but frankly not that big of a concern for me.

Buffing us means buffing mobs. I agree. Do it.

After all, it's far better to modernize/modify/adjust existing system than to build a new one.

So many wishes, so little resources. :P

I agree with about 50% of your ideas. ;)

Khatzhas
10-04-2012, 01:39 PM
We have to see it. We see that roll when doing disable on a trap. Why hide data on spell casting? Because disabling a trap is a roll we make. Saving against one of our spells is a roll the monster makes, and thus one the DM would roll behind the screen.
You already know what your DC is, and so you really don't need to know the monster's exact roll: you will whether or not it was above or below the DC, and that is the only important distinction.

Absolutely not. Longsword is always pointy and therefore can be used for stabbing attacks. That's why it's also a piercing weapon.
Sickle on other hand is slashing only.
Dagger is slashing and piercing as well as shortsword.
Rapier is piercing only.Real life maybe, but the object defined as a longsword in D&D is not a real life longsword anyway. In the D&D rules, longswords are slashing only, shortswords are piercing only etc. Don't be misled by the generic attack animations: they are the same for all one-handed weapons.

You're so wrong. If they did that it would be a huge novelty to the way divine classes are played and if it would be done for the enhacement pass or 1 update after, many characters would be rerolled just for fun. As he said, there isn't really a need for another spell pass right now. Maybe in a years time, after the enhancement pass, and assorted other issues have been fixed.

Regarding some of your comments:

I believe that Wizards and Sorcerors have the same cast time for spells. You may be getting confused with spell cooldowns, in which sorcerors get lower cooldowns, scorching ray included.
Many vermin have Tremorsense. This means that they can detect you even when sneaking or nvisible. Straight from the D&D rules.
There is a spell power line for negative energy spells for divine casters.
Likewise there is one that buffs holy smite/order's wrath etc.

Lastly, making opinionated assumptions and accusations about why and when things are done does not help your cause any.

DarkForte
10-04-2012, 03:12 PM

Most of your points are quite uninformed, but this one stood out. Sneaking/invising is useful in a big number of quests. Also, not every encounter should be auto-solvable by sneaking as good design.

Urjak
10-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Most of your points are quite uninformed, but this one stood out. Sneaking/invising is useful in a big number of quests. Also, not every encounter should be auto-solvable by sneaking as good design.

Yeah, unfortunately a lot of things can be invised through and I totally agree, that this should not be encouraged aka => give more mobs (not all!) See Invisibility, which then ofc negates the Invisibility spell for those mobs. Sneaking on the other hand, is really a quite abandoned technique in DDO, agreed there is Stealthy Repossession which is lots of fun to sneak through on elite at level^^, last part of the Baudry chain - which is IMO very challenging to sneak through on elite at level (without being detected) and lastly Claw of Vulkoor ... unfortunately the last one of these is once again easiest to just run through invis (saw a few vids of this ...) ... a few more stealth techniques would IMO definitely be a lot of fun ... maybe this would be a great opportunity for ranger/rogue/halfling prestiges: I'm thinking along the lines of:
.) more real assassinating abilities, which allow to poison/attack/kill/knock out an enemy without alarming all adjacent monsters
.) make use of disguises: A lot of challenges in our D&D sessions were solved with disguises ... be it with the disguise skill, shapeshifting, alter self, a thousand faces, ... would be kinda cool if one could disguise him/herself as orc/bugbear/etc and try to just walk by (ofc there would then be the need of other obstacles^^) ... I mean, I forgot which quest it was ... but the trash always screamed: why are you attacking me, why are you killing us all and so on ... why don't we have the option to NOT kill them all? After all we are supposedly the good heroes, not the vile bad guys^^
.) more abilities that while interacting with mobs don't make them autoaggro on you ... if mobs just see my summon for example, they should kill the summon and then resume their normal activities (which normally is just standing around starring holes in the walls of the dungeon^^)
.) when using levers or doors, this should not auto-break stealth ... it should give a short timed penalty to hide and move silently ... but not autobreak it completely
well ... I kinda know none of these will ever happen ... but one can dream^^

1. Spell cast times.

agreed, sorc spells should all have a quicker casting time than those of wizards ... somewhere between normal wizard casting time and wizard quickened casting time ... funny thing I didn't notice some spells are bugged^^

2. Run speed.

Guess that one already got resolved ;)

Agreed, more transparency in what stacks with what would be very welcome. And generally I would welcome it a lot if all effects would match their description ... both of these points do not only apply to bow users ... not even only ranged users:
.) X-Bow users and repeater users have the same problem with attack speeds
.) Throwers as well ...
.) Quite a lot of effects are not properly described when it comes to stacking ... some examples:
..) Ranged Alacrity 10% from the Arcane Archer ToD Set stacks with everything, other Ranged Alacrity bonuses are treated as enhancement bonuses and thus don't stack with each other, Wind Stance or Haste
..) Tailwind is supposedly a competence bonus, yet it stacks with the hobgoblin damage ship buff, which is a competence bonus as well.
..) Conc Opp stacks if one item is a weapon and the other an accessory ... otherwise it doesn't stack => O_o o_O
..) Basically everything that has to do with Turn Undead (uses/day, highest HD of affected undead, total HD amount, effective cleric level) ... wasn't too hard to figure out ... but since it has been quite some time I already forgot the results again^^ ... (I mean theoretically they should all stack with each other since, I think, except Seek Eternal Rest, they are all untyped bonuses^^)
..) The absolute weird behaviour of Fleshmaker
..) Stacking behavior of items increasing caster level
..) Threat increasing/decreasing effects ... many don't mention which sources of threat they affect (melee, ranged, spell)
..) Unclear nomenclature when it comes to ranged weapons: used names:
...) missile weapons
...) ranged weapons
...) throwing weapons
..) some of the above effects, affect all ranged weapons, while others only affect some ... all in all totally unclear, confusing and for newer players also often missleading (for example: who would think that rapid reload gives a big attack speed bonus to xbows, a mediocre one to bows and none to throwing weapons?)
..) Unnamed bonuses should always stack completely, yet there are tons of unnamed bonuses which don't: spell lore, most doublestrike bonuses, most attack speed bonuses from destinies, most ability bonuses from destinies, most bonuses from sets have very unclear behavior
..) Generally most destiny effects either miss a bonus type, or have one but don't act as one would expect from that specific bonus type

4. Feats pass.

Well this one is a really complex issue^^, what you must always remember is that this is still DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS ONLINE, thus the feats should all more or less work like described in the 3.5 books ... instead of changing the old useless feats - how about adding some more interesting ones from Complete Warrior/Mage/Arcane/Scoundrel/Divine/Champion/Book of Vile Darkness/Book of Exalted Deeds/Races of Stone/Races of Destiny/... there are tons of potentially very interesting feats, which might be worth looking at ...

Post is already long enough ... here we can just hope the devs know what they are doing ;)

6. Wand usage.

Yeah, the idea sounds intriguing ... though I think that it would eat up much too much dev time to correctly balance such a mechanic ... and all for little gain ... /not signed

7. Trapsmithing.

/signed ... trapsmithing is kinda useless atm ... unfortunately quite hard to balance ... yet I agree it would be worth the effort

/totally signed ... a new tab in the character sheet listing all bonuses and the effective result for each of the million stats DDO is using would be awesome ... thinking of a layout mechanic similar to the one spellpower uses atm ...

9. Combat log.

/not signed ... players are not supposed to see DM-rolls, simple as that ... though I would love to see the combat log entries shortened a bit ... atm it is kinda useless, since just a few seconds are enough to let it overflow/delete the first entries already

/Signed on increasing xp of certain quests and overhauling CO6 and Threnal loot, /not signed on giving Coyle Chain Missile ;p

11. Sliding monsters.

/not signed ... I'm already used to this kinda weird animation ... dev time can be spent on a lot more useful things ...

see my first response ... I love sneaking ... oh, mighty devs, why did you change The Low Road, so that it is no longer stealthable? :(

13. Monster AI.

Giving casters deadlier spells on higher difficulties is kinda difficult once they can already cast level 9 spells^^ ... but oh well - yeah it would be cool if they used deadlier spell combos on higher difficulties ... though I wouldn't expect too much AI improvement overall ... AI is complicated to programm ... especially when trying to upgrade an already existing old system ... and skeleton archers ... well skeletons don't even have an intelligence score ... what do you expect?^^

Considering vermin/oozes/... some mobs have tremorsense => can't sneak past them ... some probably also smell you ... but mostly its tremorsense afaik

Woa, woa, woa ... stop right there ... don't try to make D&D realistic ... really, I'm honest ... its impossible ... if you start studying medieval and older weaponry ... they are all just tools ... tools to kill your opponents so you can survive ... so basically, if it helps you, you will use just about every side of a weapon in order to succeed ...

Considering longswords in particular:
First off:
Bastardswords are longswords. Greatswords are very similar to longswords as well, they are just a bit broader and heavier. Thus they are no long 1,5 handed swords, but instead 2 handed ones ... but many longsword techniques work just the same with a greatsword ... the greatsword is also about the same length as a longsword.

Considering Stabbing vs. Slashing:
It really depends on from which time period a specific longsword stems from. You have to consider that a longsword is not a specific product brand, like an AK47 or whatever^^ ... its more like saying "a rifle" or "a gun" ... because basically every medieval sword that is not designed to be used with one hand only, is a longsword. The early longswords were indeed made for slashing only. Why? Because their main purpose was to deliver such heavy blows, that even if the foe wore a good quality chainmail, all bones beneath would shatter. Thus you want a more heavy blade which can resist a lot of stress before breaking => the smith will forge a broad blade => that means you can't forge an effective tip for thrusting => you get a slashing only weapon.

Later other types of armor became more common: plate armors ... starting with just some metal plates sewn on a leather vest to the widely known full plate armors. The problem with these kinds of armor is: You can bash them like forever and your foe will just laugh you out. What was needed now was some way to put something sharp and pointy through the small weak joints in said armor => the longswords became more pointy, thicker and less wide. All to provide a stabil blade for thrusting. And between those extremes (the early longsword and the bastardsword) there exist just about all possible blade forms. The most extreme one is probably the Estoc - basically a blunt steel rod with a very sharp point ... absolutely useless in slashing, but very powerful in thrusting.

A second technique to defeat full plate was the so called halfsword technique ... here one hand grabs the blade itself to stabilize it ... basically the sword is used more like some very short polearm^^ ... attacks try to pierce the armor ... because of the more stabil blade very exact and powerful thrusts can be made ... but to allow the fencer to savely grip the blade, the blade must not be too sharp at that point ... many swords thus had a blunt section in the middle to allow easier gripping there => slashing power becomes weaker again.

A last technique is to grip the blade with both hands and use the sword like a club ... this technique is mostly used in a direct transition from the halfsword grip ... this allows for a surprise and very powerful blow ... the crossguard acts like a pick in this case ... alternatively one can strike with the pommel ...

As you can see a longsword has up to 5 attack modes: Slashing (devastating against unarmored or only lightly armored foes ... even a onehanded sword could split a man from shoulder to waste ... imagine a twohanded one), Slicing (increases the damage done, by a slashing or thrusting attack), Thrusting (halfsword), Piercing (attacking with the crossguard) and Blunt (attacking with the pommel)

I hope I convinced you now ... don't try to bring realism into D&D ;)

Healing skill / repair skill / healing kit / repair kit - none of them are in any way magical ... they refer to the "mundane" skill of using herbs, bandages and the like to heal a person ... thus, no, it shouldn't work as some form of healing potion ... though in D&D the Heal skill can be used to cure diseases and poisons: you can take the result of a Heal check instead of your fortitude save if it is higher (at the moment your poison/disease is treated) ... I think, with poisons and diseases now being more prevalent (though except the medusa one still not dangerous), using the Heal/Repair skill to provide a long lasting party buff vs. poison/disease would be a very neat addition

It would be more useful if mobs would have more varied skills ... so some mobs would be far easier to spot than to hear and vice verse ... would be a very welcome change

Nope .... there is a reason they chaned Intimidate ... they won't reverse it back

... *snip* ...

Sorry dude - divine casters were never intended to be nukers and thus they are not ... sorry that is basic D&D => divine can heal, melee, wear armor and has a small selection of slightly weaker offensive spells; arcane can do a lot of damage, CC, instakills, ... but not heal and have few hp and nearly no protection ... with the introduction of pale masters and warforged that dogma was broken ... I don't like that part ... but still that is how it is supposed to be. sorry mate ... if you want to play a nuker, roll a sorc

Summons are generally meh ... granted the chaos beholder, earth and air elemental are nice for CC ... but in every other aspect .... summons are meh in DDO ... forget them ... but /signed on giving rangers a pet (same one as druid, but 4 levels weaker)

so ... now I ll get some sleep lol

obscure.jester
10-07-2012, 08:46 AM
the problem i have the most is with prestiges. some of them are totally useless, leading not only to have many builds clonelike but the entire concept of build less creative than it could, and should, be.
some prestiges are just wrong even in concept. beside the fact many of them are not even available (will probably be by next year?), a good number of those available are easily nerfed to 0 by the game itself.

deepwood sniper:
why on earth would one take DS rather than AA? the only thing it has is even bugged... but even if, there's still no comparison between the 2. i can see the (small) potential on a splash/combo build on a ranged rogue but still, cmon, can be developed way better than this.
i'd see things in this way: adding a d6 sneak every X levels of DS applying only to ranged attacks. adding a charge-up stance like stand against the tide, which fizzles on movement AND on hit, increasing to hit and crit multiplier by X every Y seconds for a max of Z. it well simulates the sniper focusing on target and patiently waiting for the chance to strike, delivering a fatal blow. headshot.

fire savant:
seriously, ***? i understand it has to match elements (and it's even cool to see wrapped in flames) but in this case game itself nerdfed it to 0. there's almost no boss from high mid to endgame which isnt fireproof and i dont mean resistant, i mean immune. abbot and stormreaver are not. queen lailat has (high) resistance. CAD is random (depends on its form). LoB has HUGE resistance (only force and sonic do full dmg). harry, suulo, nythirios, horoth, velah and xyzzy will all just look at a fire savant and yell BAZINGA.
add the fact even a big chunk of non raid bosses are fireproof, picture is complete.
how i see it: it's fair because beasts like velah MUST be fireproof but the correction to make here is on foes not on savant itself. too many are fireproof and too few are other elementsproof. a bit of balance is needed in order to make the 4 savants playable with good proportion (ok, cant help much in half of raids but can give the edge in the other half. being useful only in 2 out of 8 raids is kinda lame).

rogue mechanic:
totally useless. each rogue, even without any prestige, maxing out search and DD is able to dismantle all traps in the game at EE with no troubles. why wasting enhancement points then?
how i see it: mechas need a coniderable edge in trapping and i mean something like an insight +1 per lev stackable in order to be way better even at low and mid levels where the difference is crucial since in endgame all rogues can disable anything. they should be pushed towards trapmaking (a thing which has been totally dumped due to its way of working), creating more and better traps than other rogues and with a MUCH faster cooldown. they should be able to place a landmine within 2 seconds and to craft nice traps without elemental gems too, just using N [type] trap parts and being able to craft them while INSIDE dungeons. they should never crit fail making a box explode. ok for the crossbows + INT thing.

thief acrobat:
the entire idea has potential but it's somehow nerfed due to it stays slower in alacrity and deals anyway less dps than a 2wf other toon. that +15 tumble is something so useless i'd remove it even if it was +500.
showtime: uses a haste boost. but using a haste boost as haste boost it's better for speed and dps. showtime has to be changed.
how i see it: a thief acrobat, using staves, must be faster than anything else in the game according to alacrity. no discussion. it just has to be. corrections must be done in order to make even a hast boosted 2wf fighter in madstone not even close to a thief acrobat with a staff. they have a d6 as health dice. they deal 1d6 as staff [W] mainly for the first 19 levels. they HAVE to be faster.

hunter of the deads:
great flavour, nice idea. how many undeads will we face after midgame except abbot's waves? indeed. ADD undeads in endgame. LOT of undeads. or give another prestige.

there are probably similar problems with the other classes too but i dont have experience with them due to i didnt play yet as a bard, fvs, cleric, druid or arti.

note 1:
arti and rogues mechanic seem redundant.

note 2:
great idea to give assassins bonus to assassinate when weilding a dagger. gives flavour, makes sense and discourages power playing with 2 khopeshes. you are an assassin, not a blender.

Talon_Moonshadow
10-07-2012, 10:17 AM
The fact that operating most things like doors and levers breaks stealth, does not prevent one from completing a quest without agroing any monsters....

... it simple makes it more difficut.
(and I admit has a steap learning curve, and although I have considerable experience, I manage to screw it up often anyway.... so.....maybe my opinion isn't worth anything...)

If you cannot think of any other ideas, try crafting a noise maker from your trap parts.

(Do we still get trap parts?)