PDA

View Full Version : Long loading delay at world select/status screen

visibleman
10-03-2012, 02:32 PM
So, just updated one of our PCs.
Now its running Windows7/64bit from an SSD
Previously it was WinXP on a conventional HDD.
Nothing else has changed.

So far the game is running very smoothly - doesn't even crash when going into the Menechtarun Desert!

But when the launcher gets to the world select stage, there is a long pause - 30 secs to over a minute - while it checks the status of the servers. While on my WinXP machine, it happens in less than a second.

Has anyone else encountered this and been able to identify the cause and a fix?

Thx

Mirthgar
10-03-2012, 04:38 PM
I'd take a run through the steps here (http://support.turbine.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=24001&task=knowledge&questionID=3293) to see if any of the recommendations have an effect. Generally at that stage internet security apps are quite often a cause of delays, since they 'see' a program (turbinelauncher.exe) trying to reach multiple internet addresses (the servers to get their status') and may be blocking it or just more closely scanning its traffic/actions when it does that.

visibleman
10-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the tip.

It seems to have sorted itself out though. a few restarts later - both the DDO client and the PC - and it seems to be ok now. I think maybe it was a caching issue perhaps.

oh well.

Looking good though, not had a single zoning crash so far - even on the prime suspects (Menechtarun, Red Fens, Kings Forest). I think the improvement is due to the SSD.