PDA

View Full Version : Questions for a dual-wielding human fighter, Level 3

stefferweffer
09-26-2012, 01:07 PM
I am dual wielding Kopeshes right now, which I specialized in. I think I have 20 Str and 17 Dex right now. I have 2 questions:

1) I took Human Versatility. Among those abilities are things like + to hit, + armor class, + damage, etc. But then I also see that my fighter gets similar enhancements. Do I assume correctly that those will not stack? If they don't stack, why would I want to take the fighter enhancements one at a time?

2) I noticed that there are weapons in the AH that do a large amount of extra damage to the enemy with each hit, but deal 1-3 damage back to my fighter. I didn't buy one because I didn't know if I could mitgate this damage or now. One of the very first things you get in Korsoth are bracers that can mitigate/absorb the first 3 slashing damage you receive. Would a damage resistance item like that mean that I could use these types of "self-hurting" weapons without hurting myself?

Thanks very much for your help.

Loromir
09-26-2012, 01:13 PM
I cant answer your 1st question. I never take the human versatility enhancements. As to question 2. I don't beleive slashing DR will protect you from Vicious damage.

rimble
09-26-2012, 01:20 PM
1) Humans (and Half-Elfs) are in the envious position of being able to 'stack' their Racial and Class boosts. As a Human Fighter, you could activate Human Damage Boost and Fighter Haste Boost at the same time. This is pretty awesome.

2) There is no way to negate Vicious self-damage.

Jingwei
09-26-2012, 07:27 PM
More specifically, you can't run two class based boosts at the same time, for example: fighter haste boost and fighter damage boost. This applies even when you have class based boosts from different classes. So you can't get around this limitation by using, say, rogue haste boost and fighter damage boost.

But race based boost can be used at the same time as class based boosts. Of course, the only race based boost right now is human versatility... So you can use, say, fighter haste boost plus the damage boosting ability of human versatility at the same time.

stefferweffer
09-26-2012, 08:19 PM
More specifically, you can't run two class based boosts at the same time, for example: fighter haste boost and fighter damage boost. This applies even when you have class based boosts from different classes. So you can't get around this limitation by using, say, rogue haste boost and fighter damage boost.

But race based boost can be used at the same time as class based boosts. Of course, the only race based boost right now is human versatility... So you can use, say, fighter haste boost plus the damage boosting ability of human versatility at the same time.
This seems to be pretty much what I just tested. But I noticed that if I activate my Human +5 AC and then my Fighter + 5 AC, that my AC (at least on the "Inventory/Details" screen) only goes up by 5. Am I correct that two of the same buff cannot be stacked at the same time, like equipment? Does this apply to the + to hit and + damage 20 sec human/fighter buffs too?

Uchuujin-San
09-26-2012, 09:53 PM
this is because the boosts provide the same type of bonus to AC (cant remember whether its competence or something like that off the top of my head). things with the same bonus don't usually stack together. For example human versatility to hit boost (a racial boost) and fighter to hit (class boost if they had one, not sure) boost wont stack. Likewise with the other boosts. But you can stack 1 different boosts from either line. so 1 human (racial) and one fighter(class), eg. human damage and fighter haste, or human to hit with fighter haste etc.

This seems to be pretty much what I just tested. But I noticed that if I activate my Human +5 AC and then my Fighter + 5 AC, that my AC (at least on the "Inventory/Details" screen) only goes up by 5. Am I correct that two of the same buff cannot be stacked at the same time, like equipment? Does this apply to the + to hit and + damage 20 sec human/fighter buffs too?

blerkington
09-27-2012, 02:08 AM
Hi,

This is a little off topic, but may be useful to you anyway.

Although the way your chances of hitting are calculated have changed recently, you may find you have better results in combat by using a two handed weapon until your character reaches the mid levels.

Your base to hit score is not very high at low levels, and your chances of hitting are reduced by using two weapons, one of which is a heavy weapon in your off hand. The chance of hitting is even further reduced if you are using power attack.

TWF doesn't really come into its own until you have a good attack bonus (from a higher BAB, ability scores, gear) and most or all of the feats associated with that line. Each time I TR my main, which is a TWF build, I'm surprised anew at how much more effective he is in the early levels with a two hander.

Good luck.

Ryiah
09-27-2012, 03:39 AM
Although the way your chances of hitting are calculated have changed recently, you may find you have better results in combat by using a two handed weapon until your character reaches the mid levels.

For best results, try a Carnifex (http://ddowiki.com/page/Carnifex). Works great on anything that doesn't resist critical hits. :p

stefferweffer
09-27-2012, 08:01 AM
For best results, try a Carnifex (http://ddowiki.com/page/Carnifex). Works great on anything that doesn't resist critical hits. :p
Well, after hitting Level 4 last night, at 19 STR, without Power Attack I'm at +8 for my main hand Khopesh and +9 for my off-hand Khopesh. I don't seem to have much trouble hitting things, even on Elite (although I frequently drop Power Attack and use my +2 Attack clicky on Elite.) Is this OK?

Also, I'm at 16 Dex right now. Would increasing my Dex increase my ability to hit with 2 handed weapons? I've read conflicting information on this.

Lastly, what's better? A +1 Thundering Khopesh, or a +2 Keen Khopesh?

Thanks again.

Mastikator
09-27-2012, 08:13 AM
Dex does not increase chance to hit stuff in melee combat, unless you have Finesse, but since your STR is higher than DEX it's meaningless to get Finesse as only the higher number counts.
As long as you have 17 base dex by level 12 (and take Greater Weapon Focus) you're fine.