PDA

View Full Version : DDO: Computer shutting down

cirdec321
09-26-2012, 06:26 AM
Recently, whenever I play ddo more than 20 minutes, my laptop overheats and shut down by itself,I never had this problem before, and it only occur when I play ddo...

Fixitosis
09-26-2012, 07:28 AM
Recently, whenever I play ddo more than 20 minutes, my laptop overheats and shut down by itself,I never had this problem before, and it only occur when I play ddo...

Not enough information to help you at all.Post your laptop specs, age and the other games it plays with no problem.

lame_name
09-26-2012, 07:38 AM

Well, a laptop that used to work fine with DDO in the past and suddenly goes into overheat mode. First guess would be that something is wrong with the cooling, probably dust and such.

Second guess would be: did change anything major recently that could cause overheating (bad drivers preventing fan speed control or energy saving functions, installed programs that put on extra stress and heat, tried overclocking etc)?

Either way, since you had to ask, it's probably best to ask a friend to clean your laptop or pay a professional.

MsEricka
09-26-2012, 01:03 PM
There's not much technical assistance anyone can really give you for an overheating laptop. Here's my list of things to try/look at

1) Get it cleaned by a shop or someone skilled with laptops
2) Get a shop or someone skilled to add lithium grease between the cpu and heatsink to increase the heatsink's efficiency. Over time the grease dries out and efficiency goes down
3) Get a program to control your fan such as speedfan. However not all laptops are supported
4) Get a cooling device, it looks like a small pad that goes under the laptop. They usually have two or more fans that pull heat away from the machine.
5) Make sure as few programs are running as possible. The more programs running the more the CPU needs to work, therefore more heat is generated.
6) Add more ram! Seriously if it's an older laptop with only 1GB of ram, adding more memory will mean less disk swapping which means less heat. It's not only the CPU that causes heat in a computer.

Also of course, remember to always use your laptop on a hard surface with nothing under it such as paper. Never use a laptop on top of a blanket or pillow as that will block the vents needed for cooling.

Eighnuss
09-26-2012, 01:37 PM
http://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/2011/12/29/03dbdf96-9183-4cd0-a5e4-fd11aad5cb3e.jpg

Bring the cold air to your laptop.