PDA

View Full Version : General question about crafting items

Kylric
09-23-2012, 06:39 PM
I’m newer to the game and have been having fun! Needless to say, I’m collecting a bunch of items used for crafting and running out of space. I did some crafting when I placed EQ2, but overall I would rather go find my loot. That being said, would it be wise to purchase bags of holding (unknown size) and wait until I do some crafting, sell them in auctions or are most things common enough it’s just best to sell to a vendor? Opinions?

Jingwei
09-23-2012, 11:06 PM
Crafting can produce some very useful low to mid level items, but a large part of your later gear will generally be named items. Though crafting can still be useful at higher levels by making fitting certain effects into certain gear setups much simpler.

First, check the collectables useful for crafting (http://ddowiki.com/page/Collectable) some of these, like lightning split soarwood can sell for a considerable amount (around 40,000 to 50,000 pp a piece is what I've seen on Orien).

So when you have the money (around 8000 pp) go and buy a 'small' collectable bag (the red one) from the store in house P.

Next, talk to the twelve parton in the tower of the twelve. He should give you a free 'small' ingredients bag (the green one) that will hold crafting essences. One small green back should hold all the greater and lesser essences, plus your deconstruction materials, etc.

Another thing to note is that you can't keep several copies of 'exclusive' bags in your inventory at once, but you can keep several of them in the bank. Until you get larger bags, which can take much more work, it's how you can store a lot of crafting collectables or ingredients.

----------------

If you don't have enough money for small red bag yet, you are probably better off selling things. It can often be a better money making proposition to break something down for essence and sell the essences to other players than to sell thing to the vendor. But the exact economics of that are complex.

Once again, on Orien, you can expect to sell greater essences 'quickly' in the auction house if you price them at 300-500 pp a piece, or via the trade channel at 200-300 a piece.

-------------

If you plan to level crafting yourself, one of the lowest hanging fruits is the armor effect 'invulnerability' which is good on armor up until level 10 or so. Most of the other good crafting effects I can think of are around level 40 or so.

Kylric
09-24-2012, 09:47 PM
Thank you for a great response

Rawel_San
09-25-2012, 02:11 AM
I'm not perfectly sure from the OP if you mean just cannith crafting, i.e. the one using essences to make items
that are essentially "random loot like" and that has crafting levels, or if you mean other types of crafting.

There are at least 4 different types of crafting in game and if you really count all the types separately you can
come up with 11. A good place to check is http://ddowiki.com/page/Crafting.

Of these the more important ones are shroud crafting, epic crafting and possibly challenge items though those
don't show up in the crafting page on the wiki. Alchemical crafting is also still very viable for some classes and has
some effects that can't show up anywhere else. The rest of the crafting systems can be good for twinking but have
either small effects (stone of change) or rarely produce best in slot items anymore (dragontouched).

I would recommend you look through the wiki page and consider what you want before you decide which
ingredients to keep/sell.

Machination
09-25-2012, 04:51 AM
I would go ahead and find the biggest bag you can justify buying (plat or TP), here are the bags and the methods to acquire them: http://ddowiki.com/page/Bags

Note that you can more than one bag on your character, in bank, in shared bank, or TR bank.

If you can afford it, start deconstructing your loot as opposed to selling it. You get mats and XP deconstructing. And eventually when you start wanting to craft you will have a little xp base to start with and a whole lot of mats to work with.

I’m newer to the game and have been having fun! Needless to say, I’m collecting a bunch of items used for crafting and running out of space. I did some crafting when I placed EQ2, but overall I would rather go find my loot. That being said, would it be wise to purchase bags of holding (unknown size) and wait until I do some crafting, sell them in auctions or are most things common enough it’s just best to sell to a vendor? Opinions?

nibel
09-25-2012, 10:56 AM
Just saying, don't keep stuff in small bags because they are exclusive, and you can't carry 2 around at the same time. A single Large bag (that you get for free with 100 twelve favor) is more than enough to hold all your cannith crafting/shroud ingredients.

03 = Khyber/Syberis fragments, and Purified Eberron shards
12 = Lesser essences
12 = Greater essences
03 = Favor marks (silver flame, cannith, yugoloth)
06 = Mystical ingredients (bootle, plant, etc)
05 = +X spirits
04 = Cannith deconstruction materials
06 = Vale raw ingredients (peebles, petals, etc)
06 = Shroud small ingredients
07 = Shroud medium ingredients
07 = Shroud large ingredients
03 = Shroud power cells
04 = Boots of Anchoring materials (you use demon blood for a few recipes, so gather all together)
01 = Trophies of War (to fill the last spot, since they also use shroud mats)
===
80 ingredients, stack of 2500 each.

Alrik_Fassbauer
09-25-2012, 11:49 AM
Through Mabar and the Risia Festival Games one can craft with things found/got, too.

But these two events don't belong to *regular* crafting. They are only available during their events.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Risia_Ice_Games
http://ddowiki.com/page/Mabar_Endless_Night_Festival

Often overlooked is the Harbour Crafting, found not too far way from the Free Agents Patron.
You can buy recipes from the Free Agents Trader there, and most items you can craft there require trap parts.
You can get trap parts by disassembling traps within quests - either with an Rogue or with an Artificer.

Here is an general overview, by the way : http://ddowiki.com/page/Cannith_Crafting

der_kluge
09-25-2012, 12:46 PM
Yea, also not clear on what type of crafting the OP is referring to.

Here's the cliff's notes advice:

As you quest, you're going to pick up purple bags - things like prayer beads, and deady feverblanches. These are "collectibles" and go in a red bag. These things never appear in chests (except for rare few, like dragon scales).

Cannith crafting includes some collectibles in the recipes, but mostly is done through the use of essences, which come from A) deconstruction of loot you acquire, or B) find in level-appropriate chests (i.e., you cannot farm Irestone Inlet as a level 20 character and acquire crafting essences).

Here's my advice:
NEVER trade ingredients to ingredients collectors until you know what you're doing.

Second set of advice:
Cannith crafting is useful, but also an expensive, time-consuming grind. It requires a ton of essences - more than you will casually get just by questing. It's really optimized for people who TR frequently, because they're constantly running level-appropriate quests (and lots of them). Crafting requires a lot of green bag inventory slots, because as you level up in this process, you're going to acquire a lot of shards that you might decide to hold onto.

Personally, I purchased HUGE collectibles and ingredients bags for both of my main characters, and am quite happy I did so. It means I never have to worry about inventory space with regards to these items. Though, my 8-str artificer has a new problem - my huge ingredient bag weighed so much (100+ lbs.) that it was slightly encumbering her to keep it in her inventory, and since it housed all my deconstruction and crafting ingredients, leaving it in the bank was annoying, so I went ahead and put a large bag and small bag on her, and use them to keep the ingredients I need handy.

velrak
09-26-2012, 04:33 AM
One other thing I never see anyone mention when talking about crafting is when you deconstruct items for essences you do also get plat back from "recycled materials".

Now granted it's not as much plat as selling the item to a vendor, but is still worth mentioning.

Alrik_Fassbauer
09-26-2012, 07:23 AM
Here's my advice:
NEVER trade ingredients to ingredients collectors until you know what you're doing.

Yes, but you won't know what they give you until you've at least tried it for the first time. Or read the Wiki.

EllisDee37
09-30-2012, 06:16 AM
Just saying, don't keep stuff in small bags because they are exclusive, and you can't carry 2 around at the same time. A single Large bag (that you get for free with 100 twelve favor) is more than enough to hold all your cannith crafting/shroud ingredients.

03 = Khyber/Syberis fragments, and Purified Eberron shards
12 = Lesser essences
12 = Greater essences
03 = Favor marks (silver flame, cannith, yugoloth)
06 = Mystical ingredients (bootle, plant, etc)
05 = +X spirits
04 = Cannith deconstruction materials
06 = Vale raw ingredients (peebles, petals, etc)
06 = Shroud small ingredients
07 = Shroud medium ingredients
07 = Shroud large ingredients
03 = Shroud power cells
04 = Boots of Anchoring materials (you use demon blood for a few recipes, so gather all together)
01 = Trophies of War (to fill the last spot, since they also use shroud mats)
===
80 ingredients, stack of 2500 each.Nice breakdown!

I'd allocate 5 slots for shroud power cells, though.

nibel
09-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Nice breakdown!

I'd allocate 5 slots for shroud power cells, though.

Usually, I charge the empty power cells I pull with the loot I got in that shroud run.

EllisDee37
09-30-2012, 11:39 PM
Usually, I charge the empty power cells I pull with the loot I got in that shroud run.Makes sense.

At the moment I have 158 depleted mediums and 38 depleted highs; that would be an awful lot of post-shroud charging if I wanted to get them all squared away.

Fomori
09-30-2012, 11:42 PM
Usually, I charge the empty power cells I pull with the loot I got in that shroud run.
That is a great idea, with one issue.

The lost value in selling/breaking down the items, would equate to each of my power cells being way overvalued for the investment. :)