PDA

View Full Version : Change to knockdown

tanzer
09-21-2012, 10:52 AM
Simple, change knockdown checks from a stat to balance check, it's both logical and the only way to provide a level playing field.

currently relying a strength or dexterity check with the stat scaling of npc's simply doesn't work. not every class can even begin to make a stand and the few immunities there are are destiny abilities or PrE, and don't even fully function (looking at you earthquake spell).

getting chain knock downs on a level 10 barb with 40+ strength is simply unacceptable.. at least if it is based off a skill rather than a stat everyone has the legitimate choice to build towards it or not.

stats simply don't scale to the degree that skills do, pen and paper rules don't work for an mmo with this kind of pace. that's been clearly acknowledged in many other aspects of the game.

(edit) and my argument on logical, if somebody tries to trip you, your goal is to maintain your balance, if you fall, you would use your strength to push the attacker off, or your nimbleness (dex) to move out of the way and back to your feet. so either a role reversal or eliminate the stat's part in the equation completely

Miow
09-21-2012, 10:54 AM
I have to agree here i think it should be a balance check too.

madmaxhunter
09-21-2012, 10:58 AM
/signed

Ran a quest a few days ago, forget which one, was chain tripped by a pack of dogs. Fortunately my AC/PRR was high enough so the damage was minimal. But a real pain.

They seem to be a lot more trippy lately.

tanzer
09-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Yeah.. they waste their time changing trips and dogs/lions instead of addressing the base issue.. ogre's and trolls still need their 3 hit lunge attack adjusted.. with the pathetically slow server (thanks lotro) the commands register the hits regardless of line of sight or range based on the npc's model..

fix the problem not the symptom

redspecter23
09-21-2012, 11:43 AM
/signed

In this case, sticking to the 3.5 pnp rules is causing issues because of the massive variation in str scores specifically and the scaling on mobs. It's the same issue that was addressed with the AC change. DDO stats scale higher than pnp causing a d20 check to be pointless for AC. Well it's pointless for ability score checks when your str could be anywhere from 10 - 100 by end game (odd how close that is to what endgame AC scores used to look like).

Changing it to either a balance check or fort/reflex could solve some of the issues... or they could invent a convoluted system that works on a curve so you have no clue how useful/useless your save score might be in any given situation, but that would just be silliness.

Silverwren
09-21-2012, 12:06 PM
And here I was thinking it was a balance check all the time!

/signed