PDA

View Full Version : boots of striding question

Spadeathome
09-19-2012, 06:47 PM
I looted lesser boots of striding(%15) and spring(+7) last night. I put them in the AH and sold them for $20000+. I'm don't understand why they went for so much(i bought a ring of striding(15%) and swimming(+3) for around $3000). Could someone explain why they went so much. Or tell me if i should have kept them because there something very rare(which the google search i did didn't indicate that at all)

Thanks

Brennie
09-19-2012, 06:51 PM
You got lucky. Some people just like named items!

Note that jump from items doesn't stack with jump from spells/potions/clickies, so most players pretty much ignore it, knowing that any arcane/ranger/druid can hook them up if they are in a spot where jump actually matters. So you just made some money and got a fairly cheap striding ring (Note that striding on rings is usually a lot more expensive than boots! Of course, most things on rings are usually more expensive than other gearslots for some reason).

EDIT: Concise answer - Those boots are not valuable in any way shape or form. You made good money off what was effectively named Junk Loot.

Double Edit: DDOwiki (http://ddowiki.com/page/Lesser_Boots_of_Striding_and_Springing) lists different values for this item than what you put. Are these boots you got from Stormcleave Outpost, or did you pick them up somewhere else? What was their minimum level? 15% striding for level 5 isn't bad (But not something to break your bank over either - you can randomroll 15% striding by that level i believe?)

Spadeathome
09-19-2012, 07:05 PM
Yes it was stormcleave. I pretty sure it lev 5 min. Ok glad i didn't get rid of uber equipment. I going 2 grid stormcleave 4 exp. Hoping 2 get them again and sell for more plat.

JollySwagMan
09-19-2012, 08:10 PM
I like those boots, wouldn't pay 20k for them though. They have a unique graphic which is useful on some characters that I consolidate boot swaps on.

Note that jump from items doesn't stack with jump from spells/potions/clickies

I'm not sure where you get this from. Competence (boots/equipment) and Enhancement (spell, potion, clickie, favour buff, jump cake etc.) bonuses are different types.

Brennie
09-19-2012, 08:22 PM
I'm not sure where you get this from. Competence (boots/equipment) and Enhancement (spell, potion, clickie, favour buff, jump cake etc.) bonuses are different types.

Oh wow, you're absolutely right. I rescind my earlier statement! I can't believe I never noticed this before (I think i got confused by Cannith Boots of Propulsion (http://ddowiki.com/page/Cannith_Boots_of_Propulsion), and forgot that the competence is standard on items while the enhanced jump is not. Had those reversed in my head o_O)

JollySwagMan
09-19-2012, 08:41 PM
Oh wow, you're absolutely right. I rescind my earlier statement! I can't believe I never noticed this before (I think i got confused by Cannith Boots of Propulsion (http://ddowiki.com/page/Cannith_Boots_of_Propulsion), and forgot that the competence is standard on items while the enhanced jump is not. Had those reversed in my head o_O)

Fair enough ;)

DarkForte
09-19-2012, 10:06 PM
I looted lesser boots of striding(%15) and spring(+7) last night. I put them in the AH and sold them for $20000+. I'm don't understand why they went for so much(i bought a ring of striding(15%) and swimming(+3) for around $3000). Could someone explain why they went so much. Or tell me if i should have kept them because there something very rare(which the google search i did didn't indicate that at all)

Thanks

They shouldn't and you got kinda lucky.

danzig138
09-20-2012, 03:23 PM

I'll be darned. I never paid that much attention to the boot bonus type either and so didn't notice either. Spiffy.

Anyway, my guess is that someone just really wanted some striding of springing boots for a low level alt.

LordMond63
09-20-2012, 07:27 PM
Yes it was stormcleave. I pretty sure it lev 5 min. Ok glad i didn't get rid of uber equipment. I going 2 grid stormcleave 4 exp. Hoping 2 get them again and sell for more plat.

I'd agree that you made out pretty well on the deal.

I would say, though, that the combination of 15% striding and +7 to your Jump skill on a ML 5 (did I read that right?) item is a pretty good combination for that level. I'm sure that you could get the +15%/+7 combination on random loot, but I'd bet the ML would be substantially higher.

susiedupfer
09-21-2012, 09:34 AM
But, I would have paid that easily on every cleric I ever ran.(and I have a LOT of cleric experience)

Talon_Moonshadow
09-21-2012, 12:00 PM
You got lucky. Some people just like named items!

Note that jump from items doesn't stack with jump from spells/potions/clickies, so most players pretty much ignore it, knowing that any arcane/ranger/druid can hook them up if they are in a spot where jump actually matters. So you just made some money and got a fairly cheap striding ring (Note that striding on rings is usually a lot more expensive than boots! Of course, most things on rings are usually more expensive than other gearslots for some reason).

EDIT: Concise answer - Those boots are not valuable in any way shape or form. You made good money off what was effectively named Junk Loot.

Double Edit: DDOwiki (http://ddowiki.com/page/Lesser_Boots_of_Striding_and_Springing) lists different values for this item than what you put. Are these boots you got from Stormcleave Outpost, or did you pick them up somewhere else? What was their minimum level? 15% striding for level 5 isn't bad (But not something to break your bank over either - you can randomroll 15% striding by that level i believe?)

Uhmm... they used to!
Go check the type of bonus they give, I believe one give "competance" and the other gives "enhancement" to Jump skill.

Edit: NM... one of these days I'll read the rest of the posts before posting myself.... sry. :o

Karadon_II
09-21-2012, 12:21 PM
I used a pair of those boots on several characters around that level for long time. I actually had to discard them due to wear.

Aliss7
09-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Interesting. These boots got an upgrade then:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Lesser_Boots_of_Striding_and_Springing

lists them at jump +5, striding 10%. If it's still ML5, that's not total junk. I wouldn't pay 20K for it, but then again, 20K is a drop in the bucket for capped, multi-tr toon players.

Ayyelos
09-21-2012, 02:50 PM
but then again, 20K is a drop in the bucket for capped, multi-tr toon players.

This. I regularly over pay (and I know I'm over paying) for twink stuff that I want *now* from the AH. But for a plat capped account with no crafting levels, I see it as a convenience fee if that's the only one on the AH. That's probably the type of person who bought it.

countfitz
09-21-2012, 05:06 PM
While I agree, you got lucky, and nobody would ever pay that much for them, I did, once, have a cool themed toon that only wore PnP items.

He rocked for a while. Carrying a flameblade, frostbrand and sunblade, his ring of feathers, boots of springing and striding, Fullplate of the Deep... ah, I miss him.

He was fun in Tempest Spine, where it was challenging and people would be like, Wow, your paladin kinda sucks. And I'd be like "Hell yeah he does" and link all my named items. Then some people would get it. Others, who didn't play 3.0 PnP, would not.

Oh, and to those wondering, if there wasn't a named PnP item for a specific slot, it stayed empty. And he had no fort or false life item.

mcgowan
09-21-2012, 09:32 PM
Out of curiosity, what did you start the auction out at? Also, is it possible there was a Guild Augment slot on it? That'll bump the price up considerably on an item.

JollySwagMan
09-21-2012, 10:33 PM
Out of curiosity, what did you start the auction out at? Also, is it possible there was a Guild Augment slot on it? That'll bump the price up considerably on an item.

It's a named item (though the name is similar to the random gen equivalent). No possibility of a guild slot to my knowledge!

Ryiah
09-22-2012, 05:12 AM
While I agree, you got lucky, and nobody would ever pay that much for them, I did, once, have a cool themed toon that only wore PnP items.

That amount might seem like a lot, but it takes almost no time at all to hit the platinum cap. Even though I tend to spend like crazy I've managed to hit it at least once. People with more control on their spending can easily cap out multiple characters after a couple years or so.

Spadeathome
09-22-2012, 12:31 PM
It had no guild slot. I started it at $19000, not sure exactly what i got for them but less the AH cut i made just under $20000

mcgowan
09-22-2012, 12:44 PM
It's a named item (though the name is similar to the random gen equivalent). No possibility of a guild slot to my knowledge!

Missed the part of it being named. My bad!

Todkaninchen
09-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Another possibility of why the ring went cheap is that demand for striding rings may not be high based on the limitation of effects (on non-named loot) that can go in particular slots. I mean, basically, almost anything can go on a ring, but other areas are very limited like not being able to have clever items anywhere other than hat-items, goggle items, and rings. Dexterity items only going hands, feet, and rings. Charisma items... Well, you get the picture. For any character needing more than ogre strength and constitution to get by, rings are prime real estate for stuff-that-gets-displaced-by-a-good-named-item and you would likely avoid--the higher level you get--putting things in ring slots that are more easily found and put in other slots.

(Also one reason I love the Crystal Cove Hats, other than the Min Level for the attribute buffs are a lot lower than most of the random loot. It lets you build combos to take pressure off of other slots...)

Personally, as far as boots go, I use my boot slot on all my characters as "mobility" slot. So I carry 3 pair of boots: A set of Featherfall boots, a set of striders, and Mire Boots (with underwater action in an atypical slot). Because you don't usually need featherfall, striders, or underwater action at exactly the same time, it works out and it means I don't have to switch away from a Wise or Clever item on my goggles or hat to get underwater action. (Especially since I tend to play rogues a lot and like to get max clever on hats and switch out the goggles for spot/search/disable device if I don't have named trinkets to combine some of them.) Given I do the same on my Artificer, it also means I'm not clobbering my spell points in the name of not drowning in medium armor.

So, the ring probably went cheaper because demand might be low for striding in a very popular spot of equipment real estate...