PDA

View Full Version : Add multiple physical builds to each race

Zachski
09-18-2012, 07:43 PM
It doesn't necessarily need to be a sliding scale, but it would be quite awesome if each race had multiple physical builds to choose from. Cosmetic only, no effect on stats.

For example, using human as a base, there could be four builds: Average (The default), Muscular (Big muscles), Well-fed (A bit of a gut), and Lithe (Less muscles). This would obviously extend to both genders.

Each race would have different defaults, of course.

Lithe: Halfling, Elf, Drow, Gnome (when it comes out)
Average: Human
Muscular: Warforged, Dwarf, Half Orc
Well Fed: None (Opt-in, not opt-out)

Why not a sliding scale? Because this is simpler to add.

It might be a bit of work, since not only do you have to alter the model, but you have to alter armor, too, so it's not something I expect to see done next update, even if ya jumped right on it. In theory, however, it's quite simple to implement.

This would be a boon. No more Halfling Barbarians whose limbs are thinner than the pole of the great-axe they're wielding. No more Human Wizards who look like they've spent too much time hitting the gym as opposed to studying. Etc. It would be great customization, and finally, our human barbarians could make everyone confuse their muscles for overly large slabs of ham.

Not to mention, it would be great to show off other Warforged models, like the scout model.

Also fix Half Elf male faces if you can.

DrNuegebauer
09-18-2012, 07:51 PM
So someone could choose their own 'physical build'? Or would it be chosen on their behalf?

From what you write, I take it that one can choose one's own appearance? In which case of course we'll still see muscular wizards, anaemic barbarians and everything in-between.

The only plus for me is that I'd love to give my barb a huge gut - heck with the muscular appearance, give me the fat slob everyday!!

countfitz
09-18-2012, 09:29 PM
/signed

CaptainSpacePony
09-18-2012, 10:16 PM
I would love to see more art for characters. Body types is as good as suggestion as any.

/signed

LOOON375
09-18-2012, 10:20 PM
All of the female toons would have giant racks. Go boobs!

This wouldn't turn out too well........

Zachski
09-18-2012, 10:59 PM
From what you write, I take it that one can choose one's own appearance? In which case of course we'll still see muscular wizards, anaemic barbarians and everything in-between.

At least it'll be the player's choice as opposed to being locked into that because of race.

macubrae
09-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Fat halfling monk,

A muscular dwarven defender as wide as he is tall,

An anorexic horc bard,

A distraction from a helf's face,

Female elves that aren't built like 12year old boys,

Different WF body types,

Sounds good, except no muscular builds if Strength is your dump stat.
(no Schwarzeneggian casters with 10 Str)

Expalphalog
09-19-2012, 03:27 PM
This wouldn't turn out too well........

Why would this not turn out too well?

I see no downside at all to allowing people to select from a wider range of character models, so /signed.

SmashBang
09-19-2012, 03:34 PM
I don't think I would want the Devs to actually spend time on this but I also think this idea might be cool if your appearance was based in part on your stats.

Things like you could not be muscular if your strength was under 10 or 12, but you could still have a gut.

might be fun, but I would rather time be spent on fixing bugs and adding content

CaptainSpacePony
09-19-2012, 04:00 PM
I don't think I would want the Devs to actually spend time on this...

might be fun, but I would rather time be spent on fixing bugs and adding content

We're mostly talking about different kinds of devs. Bug fixes and much of the content are done by programmers.

New bodies would be mostly artists (who do also work on new content). There has been no suggestion in this thread about adding amimations, which could require more programming so I don't think this suggestion would take away from the priorities you mention much if at all.

Rawrargh
09-19-2012, 04:32 PM
First off let me say: Yes I'd love for my barb to be fat as hell!

Second: People saying that they'd rather have dev's work on other stuff... Resource alocation is the company's job, giving out unreasonable demands and ridiculous ideas is the consumers job. This however is neither unreasonable or ridiculous and would add a lot of eye candy to the game that honestly wouldn't hurt.

jortann
09-19-2012, 04:37 PM
While they are at it....

Add in more hairstyles, beard styles, and eye types

FranOhmsford
09-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Fat halfling monk,

A muscular dwarven defender as wide as he is tall,

An anorexic horc bard,

A distraction from a helf's face,

Female elves that aren't built like 12year old boys,

Different WF body types,

Sounds good, except no muscular builds if Strength is your dump stat.
(no Schwarzeneggian casters with 10 Str)

Con above 15 or below 10? - Well Fed not allowed
Dex above 15? - Muscular and Well Fed not allowed
Dex below 12? - Lithe not allowed
Str below 12? - Muscular not allowed

So a Human Barbarian with Str 18, Con 16 and Dex 14 would be able to choose from Lithe, Muscular or Average but would not be able to pick Well Fed.

Base Stats at lvl 1 only!

CaptainSpacePony
09-19-2012, 09:22 PM
Why tie the options to stats? If someone wants a fat tank, let them have it. A brawny looking low str character? So what? It's just cosmetic.

knockcocker
09-20-2012, 04:23 AM
Agreed. DDO certainly looks like a 2006 game (despite the improvements to certain environments delivered by
MotU). Just compare the character graphics to something like Tera - there is no comparison IMO (disclaimer; I'm
talking about graphics quality and customization options here, not the graphical style).

Moltier
09-20-2012, 05:36 AM
No more Halfling Barbarians whose limbs are thinner than the pole of the great-axe they're wielding.

Guess why most Halfling barbarians are created.
Because they look ridiculous, and its fun. :)

Anyway...
/signed!

Worldcrafter
09-20-2012, 05:51 AM
Na-na, na-na, na-na, na-na, FAT MONK!

I would totally make a roly poly monk and look into giving him as much movement speed as possible.

While appearance being based off of stats would be a neat thing to include, what about Charisma? Although it does not have to refer to someone's physical appearance, it is often used as such. Would a low charisma make you look worse, and a higher, better-looking? A more amusing suggestion would be that Charisma affects your character's resolution. Use it as a dump stat, end up looking like some 64-bit character.

Honestly though, I'm always up for more character customizations, so I definitely can get behind the idea of being able to choose different body types and height for characters.