PDA

View Full Version : Player base and dev interaction

the613
09-18-2012, 04:47 AM
Ok, to start off, this is not a suggestion for making a change to the game, but I thought this would be the best place to put it anyway. Also, I'm just putting this out there, I have no idea whether it could actually be done, or whether turbine would actually even do it at all.

I have been thinking, after seeing madfloyd's "Let's Talk" threads, that interaction between the devs and the player base to talk about game issues and planned updates is a good idea. For example, the top 3 Let's talk threads (enhancement update, game difficulty, and enhancements) are each at least 22 pages long, with the enhancement (not enhancement update) thread being 238 pages long as of right now. This shows (to me) that the players want to give input on the current plans, probably to make sure that when they do come into the game, they will be less likely to be a tantrum over it somewhere.

So now that I have told you where my thought process comes from, let's get into the actual suggestion. My suggestion is, at a preset time interval, a few devs open up a chat somewhere, whether it be in a userchat in game, or on a special chatroom designated for this, and allow the playerbase in. The devs talk to the player base about upcoming updates, problems in the game right now, and such, bouncing ideas between the devs and the players, allowing the players to make suggestions based on what the devs are saying and allowing the devs to see how players will react the their own ideas. After a set period of time, the chat ends, and the discussion is posted in the forums somewhere, to get even more input on what was said.

I see advantages to both the players and turbine with this method.

Advantages for turbine:
-getting a good idea before investing large amounts of time and money into something whether it will be a hit or be hated.
-Allowing the devs to have a free brainstorming group of up to the entire player base.

Advantages for the players:
-Allows the players to feel like turbine is just a money grabbing corporation (which from some stuff I read, it sound like a lot of people believe such.)
-Allows the players to have a better idea of whether an update will destroy something or not, and thus able to adapt their toons that might otherwise be totally unusable after an update.

Now, I am not saying full details should be laid out for the players, but players are usually the ones who have the best idea of game balancing factors, and giving players a general idea about an update and allowing them to make suggestions and then get interactive feedback, instead of just a yes/no thing not only makes them feel like turbine cares deeply about them, but gives turbine a free brainstorming group, I might even saying a brainstorming group that is paying turbine. Also, I am not saying the devs should have any obligation to do whatever the players want, but if players are happier with the game, they are more willing to put money into it, and here you are making it more likely for an update to please the players, while making them happy by at least appearing to show that you really care about their opinions.

Feel free to discuss/post ways it could be done/made better/ect,

fco-karatekid
09-18-2012, 08:00 AM
Ok, to start off, this is not a suggestion for making a change to the game, but I thought this would be the best place to put it anyway. Also, I'm just putting this out there, I have no idea whether it could actually be done, or whether turbine would actually even do it at all.

I have been thinking, after seeing madfloyd's "Let's Talk" threads, that interaction between the devs and the player base to talk about game issues and planned updates is a good idea. For example, the top 3 Let's talk threads (enhancement update, game difficulty, and enhancements) are each at least 22 pages long, with the enhancement (not enhancement update) thread being 238 pages long as of right now. This shows (to me) that the players want to give input on the current plans, probably to make sure that when they do come into the game, they will be less likely to be a tantrum over it somewhere.

So now that I have told you where my thought process comes from, let's get into the actual suggestion. My suggestion is, at a preset time interval, a few devs open up a chat somewhere, whether it be in a userchat in game, or on a special chatroom designated for this, and allow the playerbase in. The devs talk to the player base about upcoming updates, problems in the game right now, and such, bouncing ideas between the devs and the players, allowing the players to make suggestions based on what the devs are saying and allowing the devs to see how players will react the their own ideas. After a set period of time, the chat ends, and the discussion is posted in the forums somewhere, to get even more input on what was said.

I see advantages to both the players and turbine with this method.

Advantages for turbine:
-getting a good idea before investing large amounts of time and money into something whether it will be a hit or be hated.
-Allowing the devs to have a free brainstorming group of up to the entire player base.

Advantages for the players:
-Allows the players to feel like turbine is just a money grabbing corporation (which from some stuff I read, it sound like a lot of people believe such.)
-Allows the players to have a better idea of whether an update will destroy something or not, and thus able to adapt their toons that might otherwise be totally unusable after an update.

Now, I am not saying full details should be laid out for the players, but players are usually the ones who have the best idea of game balancing factors, and giving players a general idea about an update and allowing them to make suggestions and then get interactive feedback, instead of just a yes/no thing not only makes them feel like turbine cares deeply about them, but gives turbine a free brainstorming group, I might even saying a brainstorming group that is paying turbine. Also, I am not saying the devs should have any obligation to do whatever the players want, but if players are happier with the game, they are more willing to put money into it, and here you are making it more likely for an update to please the players, while making them happy by at least appearing to show that you really care about their opinions.

Feel free to discuss/post ways it could be done/made better/ect,

I know this is going to be perceived as pessimistic, but it's real.

This already happens on the Lammania forums, and the player feedback is mostly ignored prior to going live... Hence the confusion on Lama's purpose in general. Historical precedence also shows Let's Talk to have been just that - Talk.

the613
09-18-2012, 08:26 AM
you may be right, seeing as I've only just started to really spend any time on the forums. Then again, the fact that turbine ignores the players opinions is something I could totally believe. My honest opinion is a bunch of hobby programmers who got together with no plans on making money could make a MMO based off of D&D that would put DDO to shame (and consequently, make turbine lose money off of it). The problem would come down to copyrights and such though, and I don't know how that would work out, otherwise I would be working on such a thing myself already.

My views may be skewed due to me being a hobby programmer myself, but the entire point is if anyone who didn't plan on making money on it made an MMO based on D&D, turbine would lose a lot of money. Come on, it would be cheaper for the players, and it would only be made by people who are fans of D&D and/or just want a challenge at programming.