PDA

View Full Version : Sorc - Shroud end fight

Druggo
09-17-2012, 06:17 PM
Hello

What damage spells should my sorc be throwing in the end fight? Lvl 20. I prefer to be an Air savant but am open to suggestion. I was using reflex spells and was told this is stupid lol. They didn't mention what to cast in place however.

FuzzyDuck81
09-17-2012, 06:24 PM
Basically just keep niacs & eladar's stacked (bread & butter for arcanes vs. bosses, once fully stacked they hit hard & repeatedly), plus the induce weakness thingy that savant sorcs get too & that's pretty much all you need, though as an air savant the SLAs are a good bet too since they're such relatively low SP cost it doesnt matter if he saves a load of the time.

EllisDee37
09-17-2012, 06:31 PM
Niac's and Eladar's triple stacked is all that's required of you, along with your prestige weakening thingy. Feel free to toss in some lightning bolts and polar rays if you like. Doing lightning bolt instead of eladar's is probably what got that reaction.

A thaumaturgy staff with magnetism and glaciation is a great staff to have for harry fights for any arcane.

JollySwagMan
09-17-2012, 07:00 PM
Single-target damage over time spells! Such as Niac's Biting Cold, and Eladar's Electric Surge. When stacked multiple times they will provide efficient DPS for a scenario where one wants to take down a boss quick as possible (such as the Harry fights).

Example cycle: Eladar's, Niac's, Lightning Bolt SLA, Polar Ray, [Awaken Elemental Weakness/Waves of Exhaustion/Mass Protection from Elements/Lightning Motes scroll if you have UMD + no Arty in group/etc.] In these cycles it's critical to maintain the stacking of the DOT spells as priority.

These DOT spells are to be avoided when kiting/tanking a particular mob that you want kept alive, in order to prevent mishaps.

Harry has Fire immunity, and acid + cold resistance. Still, Polar Ray has no save + a quick animation (not so relevant for the Sorc but anyway).

http://ddowiki.com/page/Arraetrikos

(on hard and elite he has evasion making reflex saves spells somewhat undesirable against him. SLA's that don't cost extra SP to use metamagics on are an exception though)

Harry is immune to symbol of Pain and Curse, but is affected by Exhaustion, Crushing Despair...I think Cloudkill's concealment part is supposed to work against him, but I don't recall seeing that used (perhaps due to potential lag), been a while since I've shrouded!

Also a heads up, there may be some compatibility issues with Niacs and Creeping Cold (and the other cold dot that druids have)

Saravis
09-17-2012, 07:07 PM
Naic's, Eladar's, Lightning Bolt, Electric Loop, Force Missile, Magic Missile, Ice Storm, and Polar Ray are all spells that can work against Harry on an Air Savant, provided that you have force and cold backup.

katz
09-17-2012, 07:15 PM
when i ran a sorc... she was an air savant. when i did a harry fight... i used the weaken to electric ability, triple stacks of eladar's and niac's, tossed my lightning bolt and electric loop SLAs occasionally, and sometimes i tossed an ice storm just for a little extra going on. but not always.

most important paramount things was maintaining the weakness and the 3 stacks... the rest was gravy

Druggo
09-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Ok thanks all

Kmnh
09-18-2012, 12:11 PM
If a sorcerer still has SP when harry dies,. he's doing something wrong.

Dump all your SP on him as quickly as possible.

A trick is to use solid fog and waves of exhaustion to mess up harry's reflex save on higher difficulties - That's a total of -8 to his reflexes. That's a good strategy against most evasive monsters :)

twigzz
09-18-2012, 12:42 PM

That used to be the case but now we have so much SP that I'd be tossing useless spells to try to kill my blue bar. Plus with all the added DPS from ED's you'll be lucky to dump a full 3k SP on Arry before he's done. Let alone a 4k SP bar.

Kmnh
09-18-2012, 12:46 PM
That used to be the case but now we have so much SP that I'd be tossing useless spells to try to kill my blue bar. Plus with all the added DPS from ED's you'll be lucky to dump a full 3k SP on Arry before he's done. Let alone a 4k SP bar.

here's a video of a sorc dumping 2000 sp in 28 seconds (and doing insane damae while at it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpNHiAvrWRc

JollySwagMan
09-18-2012, 01:26 PM

A trick is to use solid fog and waves of exhaustion to mess up harry's reflex save on higher difficulties - That's a total of -8 to his reflexes. That's a good strategy against most evasive monsters :)

That's a good point with the Solid Fog there! I forget that the save debuff bit should affect him, plus spell resistance shouldn't be an issue either.

Prayer's been a bit buggy lately, but if working correctly that should be another -1 to Harry's saves.

He'll also take a little bit of stat damage, though as a purple named is warded against that significantly impairing him. But that could be another -5 to reflex if you get 10 points of dex damage on him. Note that Exhaustion/Strength Sapping apply a penalty that will stack above the stat damage (edit: these exhaustion effects should actually stack together, but when writing this post i forgot that)

FranOhmsford
09-18-2012, 01:40 PM
here's a video of a sorc dumping 2000 sp in 28 seconds (and doing insane damae while at it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpNHiAvrWRc

He still had 800+ SPs when Sobrien went down - So he dumped 2k in that fight. {which you did say yes}.

But....

I took this as saying that dumping a full sp bar on Harry is unlikely these days.

So can you accept that having 2k left on a Sorc after Harry goes down isn't too bad? {If said Sorc has 4k at the start of the fight of course.}.

twigzz
09-18-2012, 02:42 PM
He still had 800+ SPs when Sobrien went down - So he dumped 2k in that fight. {which you did say yes}.

But....

I took this as saying that dumping a full sp bar on Harry is unlikely these days.

So can you accept that having 2k left on a Sorc after Harry goes down isn't too bad? {If said Sorc has 4k at the start of the fight of course.}.

Now-a-days absolutely. I personally have ended part 4 with ~1500 SP left on my sorc on hard. I still use the same rotation of spells(plus added other things) so it's a constant SP drain. Having 4k blue bars and -x0% SP costs is ridiculous. Arry isn't **** with a group of good players with some ED goodness going on.

Kinerd
09-18-2012, 04:41 PM
If you're struggling with saves, another potential option is Black Dragon Bolt. Spread out over 3 tics it loses more to the resistance, but with any reasonable amount of spell power you'll be better off than half/zero damage.

LordMond63
09-18-2012, 06:06 PM
Stacking the three DoTs and keeping all three going for the duration of the fight should be your main focus. Past that, remember to use your elemental weakness awakening Savant ability to further enhance your damage.

One other thing that can be extraordinarily helpful (and kudos to JollySwagMan for originally mentioning it): toss Protection From Elements, Mass on the melees often. It reduces the elemental damage Harry deals and therefore eases the job of the healers quite a bit. Sure, they (the Divines) can cast it...but you probably have more sp than they do (and probably by a fair amount), so you have it to spare moreso than they do.