PDA

View Full Version : Fast Paced Action?!?!

Souless
09-16-2012, 09:24 PM
Dear Turbine: If you slow down combat any more please remove the "fast-paced action" tag from your selling bullets...

thank you

the Bytcher~

WielderofGigantus
09-16-2012, 09:57 PM
?

How did they slow down combat?

gerardIII
09-16-2012, 09:58 PM
?

How did they slow down combat?

Gust of Wind out of a kobold's bottom.

Syllph
09-16-2012, 10:38 PM
Beating on epic elite mobs, especially the Bebeliths in CitW is not fast paced. It's very boring. they have far too many HP to be fast paced.

Talias006
09-16-2012, 10:59 PM
Fast paced for epic?
So you want the numbers to roll by and watch the Epic mobs die like Heroic trash...
What would be the point in them being Epic, then?

licho
09-16-2012, 11:04 PM
Maybe they should change into:
Swarm Based Action Combat.
It will describe the spirit much better.

knockcocker
09-17-2012, 04:21 AM
It's not the speed that bothers me, it's the predetermined outcome. If a mob starts an action, mob finishes the
action regardless of it's own status or player status. e.g. Tripped/Stoned/Paralyzed/Dead mobs can still hit you, still
finish their spells, move etc. Moving out of a mobs hit range (e.g. Troll/Ogre triple whammy, Giant stomp/swing) seldom
works if it started the action whilst you were in range - certainly on my 100ms RTT connection anyway. To me, DDO's
much lauded active combat system is not active at all.

Alrik_Fassbauer
09-17-2012, 05:01 AM
Because of the few Epic levels the REST of the game should be renamed ?

Now *this* is hat I call a "vocal minority" !

Let's face it, apart from the higher levels, everything *is* "fast-paced" ! Is is especially "fast-paced" if you compare it against other RPGsout there.

DDO is in fact more a kind of "hack & slay" game than any other form of RPG, imho.
And "hack & slay" games were exclusively fast-paced games in the past (Sacred, Titan Quest, Loki, Blizzard's games, Dungeon Siege, Starsiege, etc. ...).

And the hack & slay sub-gebnre (aka "Action-RPG" sub-genre) domonates SO MUCH the rest of the whole RPG genre, that younger generations of gamers become actually trained into believe that "no fast-paced action = no RPG".

I'm very, very, very that there is a new wave coming. Divinity : Original Sin, Chaos Chronicles, Project Eternity.

Because no-one of the bigger names in the industry would do anything apart from "action" nowadays.

Talias006
09-18-2012, 12:20 AM
It's not the speed that bothers me, it's the predetermined outcome. If a mob starts an action, mob finishes the
action regardless of it's own status or player status. e.g. Tripped/Stoned/Paralyzed/Dead mobs can still hit you, still
finish their spells, move etc. Moving out of a mobs hit range (e.g. Troll/Ogre triple whammy, Giant stomp/swing) seldom
works if it started the action whilst you were in range - certainly on my 100ms RTT connection anyway. To me, DDO's
much lauded active combat system is not active at all.

For myself, I can avoid all manner of things like troll build-up attacks and giant stomps with a quick side-roll or timed jump, and I have consistently over 100ms latency, so that must not be the problem.

And in referring to the Epic portion of another reply, that was just conjecture, because I hear a constant shrill noise about how trash mobs in epic aren't really special, they just have an obscene amount of hp.
Thus making the "fast-paced action" seem slower.

FestusHood
09-18-2012, 12:59 AM
My own personal gripe would be with some of the collision detection in the game. It isn't just the troll/ogre hop skip jump attack. For the player, the range of his attacks is pretty close to accurate. If a mob is out of range of my swing i don't hit him. But mob attack ranges are ridiculous compared to what the graphics look like.

Just tonight i was running colossal crystals with my ranger. I was kiting backwards while pew pewing a wolf. Visually i was at least 20 feet ahead of the wolf the whole time, going in a straight line. The wolf hit me with it's paws every time. Not sure why they programmed in such a huge attack range on all the mobs, unless just to add challenge, but it does make some of the 'action' elements of combat illusory.