PDA

View Full Version : Ransack Timer

Jatner
09-16-2012, 06:20 AM
A simple suggestion really.

Would it be possible to create a /ransack command that works along similar lines to the /quest one?

It could show which quests you've ransacked and how long until the chest loot for that quest resets.

varusso
09-16-2012, 07:27 AM
Nice idea except -- there are THOUSANDS of chests in the game. Even if the entire list could be populated in the window at one time (it cant, it would be truncated) could you imagine trying to sort through that whole list to find the one you are looking for? And unlike quests, chests do not have unique, recognizable names -- at best they would be a hash code of some sort used by the game to track them.

The very best you might hope for would be the ability to add a chest manually to your list (with a limit like the friends/ignore lists) and be able to name them as you add them, and then track ONLY those chests -- but that is now getting alot more complicated than simply adding a /command.

Jatner
09-16-2012, 08:37 AM
It wouldn't need to track the individual chests, just the quests that they were located in. The odds are that if you've ransacked one chest in a particular quest you'll have done them all. Amd if you do farm a particular chest within a quest, you will know from seeing the quest name listed that it's that one causing the quest to show up on your list.

varusso
09-16-2012, 09:53 PM
It wouldn't need to track the individual chests, just the quests that they were located in. The odds are that if you've ransacked one chest in a particular quest you'll have done them all. Amd if you do farm a particular chest within a quest, you will know from seeing the quest name listed that it's that one causing the quest to show up on your list.

Rares dont pop all the time. Their chests would each be on separate timers. A perfect example is someone doing RoSS/BS runs in Sands. Same thing applies in all quests. Different difficulty settings also have different numbers of chests in many quests. The only "proper" way to track chests would be to do all of them -- anything else simply would not be accurate, which defeats the whole point of adding the feature.

Dont get me wrong, I would love to have a way to check chest timers without having to do so manually. I just dont see it happening with the logistical challenges.

Daemoneyes
09-19-2012, 10:35 AM
Nice idea except -- there are THOUSANDS of chests in the game. Even if the entire list could be populated in the window at one time (it cant, it would be truncated) could you imagine trying to sort through that whole list to find the one you are looking for? And unlike quests, chests do not have unique, recognizable names -- at best they would be a hash code of some sort used by the game to track them.

The very best you might hope for would be the ability to add a chest manually to your list (with a limit like the friends/ignore lists) and be able to name them as you add them, and then track ONLY those chests -- but that is now getting alot more complicated than simply adding a /command.

ummm
why not simply add another column to the quest tab? quest repetition counter...
cant be that hard can it?

DeltaKaze
10-06-2012, 08:44 AM
You wouldn't need to list all chests, only those that are ransacked, or have been looted more than 5 or 8 times by you. The system's already tracking it. Even if it did just show a hash tag for the chest, you'd learn which you were looking for (though naming them by quest + an ID would make it easier).

Syllph
10-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Perhaps if, when you examined the chest, there was a small number in the examine window? 1- 10 each one showing how many times you've opened the chest.

varusso
10-06-2012, 09:02 AM
ummm
why not simply add another column to the quest tab? quest repetition counter...
cant be that hard can it?

This would not tell you which chests are ransacked. Most quests have optional chests and/or rare mob chests. And this assumes of course that you open every chest you find. At best, it would give you a "rough idea" about your ransack counters on any given chests. Some might argue that is better than nothing, but I think the intent here is to not half-ass it.

You wouldn't need to list all chests, only those that are ransacked, or have been looted more than 5 or 8 times by you. The system's already tracking it. Even if it did just show a hash tag for the chest, you'd learn which you were looking for (though naming them by quest + an ID would make it easier).
Listing only your opened chests would certainly cut the list down, though real farmers would still end up with a list too big to fully populate. Quest name + a chest number would make it easier for us, but I really doubt that is how the game itself currently tracks chest IDs. I would expect the chest ID is more like a specific number that indicates the quest/wilderness it is found in, then another set of numbers tagged onto the end to indicate which chest in that quest. This is theorycraft of course, but the point I am trying to get to is that in order to make chests more readily identifiable to players, they would have to go through and individually label them for us -- though they could "batch convert" them if their IDs include the quest ID.

I dont dislike the idea of displaying chest ransack timers. I just dont see any practical way of adding them that will be both easy-to-use for players and not require some serious effort from the devs.

Perhaps if, when you examined the chest, there was a small number in the examine window? 1- 10 each one showing how many times you've opened the chest.
Thats good if you are already in the quest, but the idea is to be able to check the chest without fighting your way to it. It also doesnt tell you when those counters expire. But tied in with one of the above suggestions -- perhaps when you open a chest, they could display the hash number for the chest as part of the loot dialogue: <Player X> looted xxxxxx from chest #587567. That way you would at least know what the ID number is if they added a /list command for chest timers.

Daemoneyes
10-06-2012, 09:15 AM
This would not tell you which chests are ransacked. Most quests have optional chests and/or rare mob chests. And this assumes of course that you open every chest you find. At best, it would give you a "rough idea" about your ransack counters on any given chests. Some might argue that is better than nothing, but I think the intent here is to not half-ass it.

Well i really would prefer a half-assed solution tomorrow then a solution which will never make it. Cause as u said yourself there are thousands of chests and even a drop down list in the quest tab for each quest would be a monster.

Other then that i could only see as solution a ! or anything similar above a ransacked chest so that you at least dont have to open it to get the annoying message.

CaptainSpacePony
10-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Not worth the zots IMO.

chance2000
10-06-2012, 10:51 AM
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=351295
is the forum post

http://tools.davcin.com/
is the website

Found it on the forums
ran multiple virus scans on it and its clean.
I use it a lot I have 7 toons that are able to run Raid The Giant's Vault in the Inspired Quarter.
Level 19 solo quest with 5 chests.
Its how I fund my guild (lvl73) with out having to ask for member contributions.
It gives you numbers of times you have run the quest.
Ransack on the entire quest. Not rares, no slayer rares or static slayer chests are tracked.
For chains it keeps tracks of 3rd runs.
Other than that its 8 times for a single chest and #9 you get the ransack message.
I stop at #8 and it resets in like 7 days.
Hope that helps.

soulaeon
10-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Signed.
To remedy the list population, how about the /chest command only works inside a dungeon or instance with a chest.