PDA

View Full Version : Heroic Commendation Overhaul

djl
09-10-2012, 06:58 PM
Overall, I like how Caught in the Web is designed. However, there is one thing that bugs me to no end: how they implemented Heroic Commendations. In the next update, you will need 3 of them to put Conflux on ANY of the raid weapons and as it stands right now the Heroic Coms seem to be the same rarity as the raid loot.

I would like to see how they are obtained and used completely overhauled. First off, change the drop rates to a system similar to TOD, where every run at least one drops and on higher difficulties you have a chance at more than that. In addition, all Heroic Coms would become Bound to Account.

Normal: 1d1
Hard: 2d2
Elite: 3d3

Next, remove the requirements on Cormyrian Red/Green armor and Conflux effects and instead add a flat fee of 30 Heroic Commendations to unlock the PDK trader-- if you get 375 PDK favor he will open his store to you for free.

Now, here is the fun part. Once you have access to the store, you can use additional Heroic Commendations to augment your items:

1) For the cost of 12 Heroic Commendations, you can add any U14 armor set effect to any of the U14 and U15 armors including Leaves of the Forest and the Cormyrian Red/Green armors.

2) You can add up to three additional effects to any of the U14 and U15 armors. These items would be retroactively changed to have the property "Legendary Potential," indicating legendary powers lie dormant within the item. The abilities you can add and costs are as follows:

-Heavy Fortification: 6 HCs
-Toughness: 6 HCs
-Convalescent: 6 HCs
-Exceptional Fortification 25%: 9 HCs
-Superior False Life: 9 HCs
-Major Luck: 9 HCs
-Sovereign Elemental Resistance (pick an element; reduces damage by 50; can only pick this enhancement once): 12 HCs
-Greater Convalescent: 12 HCs
-Epic Toughness (new property-- stacks with Toughness; gives +30 HP): 12 HCs
-Blurry: 15 HCs
-Ghostly: 15 HCs
-Absorb Energy 20% (pick an element; can only pick this enhancement once): 15 HCs

3) You can add up to three additional effects to any of the relic weapons from the raid. Like the armor, these weapons would retroactively receive the property "Legendary Potential."

-Enhancement Bonus +3 (increases the current enhancement bonus of the item by 3): 9 HCs
-Tactical Ability +10 (pick one): 9 HCs
-Major Spell Focus (choose school): 9 HCs
-120 Potency (choose element): 12 HCs
-Melee Alacrity 15%: 12 HCs
-Lightning Strike/Incineration/Disintegration/Crushing Wave (pick one): 12 HCs
-Aligned Weapon/Metalline Weapon (pick one; can only pick this enhancement once): 15 HCs
-Greater Bane (choose type-- Evil Outsider is not available; can only pick this enhancement once): 15 HCs
-Superior Lore (choose element): 15 HCs
-Transform Kinetic Energy: 18 HCs
-Increase Multiplier (raises the base crit multiplier of the weapon by 1, so a 3x weapon would become x4): 18 HCs
-Increase Range (raises the base crit range of the weapon by 1, so an 18-20 weapon would become 17-20): 18 HCs

redspecter23
09-10-2012, 07:24 PM
I like where you're going with this. Perhaps it's a bit too powerful. Perhaps it's more in line with what a level 24 raid should be handing out anyway. I like the armor overhaul especially. This would still be a grind to get a perfect weapon, but a grind more like shroud and less like the EV6 grind of looking for an SOS shard forever.

I think with the number of commendations in your post, you would see hard become the standard difficulty with a chance of up to 4 in one run. Elite is still not worth the effort for a chance at up to 9, but at least it is significantly more rewarding that the current implementation compared to hard.

Good potential here, though the power level would have to be closely watched. Regardless, still better than what Turbine churned out. +1

I'm wondering if you would have the commendations still BtC? Or could BtA work under your proposal? Also wondering if perhaps a small chance at a completed "legendary upgrade" shard? could be added to the loot tables for the chance at that instant gratification feel. Not a huge %. Maybe 1% or 2% at a random upgrade, BtC and passable in the box.

djl
09-10-2012, 07:42 PM
I like where you're going with this. Perhaps it's a bit too powerful. Perhaps it's more in line with what a level 24 raid should be handing out anyway. I like the armor overhaul especially. This would still be a grind to get a perfect weapon, but a grind more like shroud and less like the EV6 grind of looking for an SOS shard forever.

I think with the number of commendations in your post, you would see hard become the standard difficulty with a chance of up to 4 in one run. Elite is still not worth the effort for a chance at up to 9, but at least it is significantly more rewarding that the current implementation compared to hard.

Good potential here, though the power level would have to be closely watched. Regardless, still better than what Turbine churned out. +1

I'm wondering if you would have the commendations still BtC? Or could BtA work under your proposal? Also wondering if perhaps a small chance at a completed "legendary upgrade" shard? could be added to the loot tables for the chance at that instant gratification feel. Not a huge %. Maybe 1% or 2% at a random upgrade, BtC and passable in the box.

I thought about whether to keep them BTA or BTC and I think, in this instance, BTC works better. The upgrades are meant to be extremely powerful, and as such it would be too easy to amass a whole bunch of Coms just by running several characters through it every time they come off timer.

The upgrades may indeed be a little overpowered, but the final design is up to Turbine anyway. I just added some things I would like to see on Level 24 loot from the highest level raid in the game. The basic framework is there, they'd have to balance it to their tastes.

And yes, I set out with three primary goals with this idea:

1) Add customization abilities to the new gear, since much of the customization we used to have with the Epic Slots was lost when they made the majority of that gear obsolete.

2) Make the raid far more rewarding-- it's the highest level raid in the game and was supposed to be the capstone of the Expansion pack. The loot deserves to be the best in the game.

3) Ensure that people will have a reason to run the new raid for a long time to come. As it is right now, I just don't see that. In a few months, most everyone will have gotten the items they wanted and the Coms they needed and the raid will be forgotten. Many people do not like the design of it, so unless there is reason to run it more than 20 times (assuming you get what you need by then), people will abandon it.

redspecter23
09-10-2012, 08:01 PM
I was hoping that BtA commendations would be doable basically for the reasons you outlined. It keeps people playing longer. If I can farm out my monk upgrades while playing my divine, it provides me double the number of characters that I am willing to run the raid with. If you believe that BtC is the only balanced way the system can handle it, that's your call. It's your proposal. But, my belief is that BtA should be used over BtC whenever possible to increase grouping potential and keep raid interest high among all toons on an account even if their weapons/armor are complete.

I run ToD on toons that have their rings because I can always use more trophies. I run shroud on any toon, because the scales are unbound. CitW needs an unbound/BtA option in my opinion to really keep it popular over time.

djl
09-10-2012, 08:36 PM
I was hoping that BtA commendations would be doable basically for the reasons you outlined. It keeps people playing longer. If I can farm out my monk upgrades while playing my divine, it provides me double the number of characters that I am willing to run the raid with. If you believe that BtC is the only balanced way the system can handle it, that's your call. It's your proposal. But, my belief is that BtA should be used over BtC whenever possible to increase grouping potential and keep raid interest high among all toons on an account even if their weapons/armor are complete.

I run ToD on toons that have their rings because I can always use more trophies. I run shroud on any toon, because the scales are unbound. CitW needs an unbound/BtA option in my opinion to really keep it popular over time.

Good point. I added something in about them being BtA.