PDA

View Full Version : Monks, combos, ki usage, and all that...

seebs
09-10-2012, 01:26 PM
Trying out a monk, and having a great time, but thus far I am totally failing to comprehend how/when/whether I can use the alleged healing abilities. I did take Path of Harmonious Balance. I am currently clearing stuff mostly below my level, and the net result is, basically fights don't last long enough for me to accumulate 30+ ki, but so far as I can tell, I can only use the self-heal finisher if I've used the light attack three times in a row, which requires 30 ki. Am I missing something?

Fejj
09-10-2012, 01:29 PM
You could be missing the "fists of light" feat (or something like that). You use the attack, and it procs a "healing curse" on your target. Every time you hit, you gain hitpoints, +1, +1, +1, +1, at later levels it can heal stronger. You get it for free when you pick the light path.

Also, try fire stance if you are not in it. In fire stance you get "ki on hit". For a beginer monk, its the way to go.

Good Luck!

Lonnbeimnech
09-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Trying out a monk, and having a great time, but thus far I am totally failing to comprehend how/when/whether I can use the alleged healing abilities. I did take Path of Harmonious Balance. I am currently clearing stuff mostly below my level, and the net result is, basically fights don't last long enough for me to accumulate 30+ ki, but so far as I can tell, I can only use the self-heal finisher if I've used the light attack three times in a row, which requires 30 ki. Am I missing something?

Correct.

Maybe try sun stance for more ki generation per hit.

TPICKRELL
09-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Probably not, at low levels things die to fast for you to generate ki.

Note that you need to do the light attack 3 times in a row, without a breaking event in between. You can do a lot of fighting in between as long as you haven't pickup something up, used a breaking ki strike (stance associated elemental ki strikes for instance), climbed a ladder, opened a door or lever, climbed over a rock (or crack on the ground that makes you use a climbing animation).

Until you hit level 8-10 or so, you don't have a large enough ki pool, and things just die too quick to accumulate ki for finishers.

So don't worry about it, it will self correct as you level (you will still want more ki, but you will have enough for finishers if you chose to use them).

rimble
09-10-2012, 01:35 PM

Yeah, that's how Monk plays at lower levels. As mentioned, Sun stance helps, but things get better for Monk later as you get more Concentration skill and can therefore 'store' more Ki.

sebastianosmith
09-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Ki is difficult to accumulate in quantity at lower levels. Try staying in Fire stance as that provides the most Ki generation until levels 8-10. After that, I generally switch to Wind for attack speed since low Ki starts to be a thing of the past at that point given sufficient Wisdom. And make sure to stay centered. Nothing drains Ki faster than being uncentered. Carry lesser restoration pots with you for those enfeebling-happy Orc casters in the lower-mid levels.

seebs
09-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Ohh! So non-ki-strikes don't break the combo, just other ki strikes or non-combat actions?

That makes things easier.

I'd been mostly in wind stance, with earth stance for cases where I needed to be defended.

Loving the class, and I know it's weaker at high levels with the one rogue level, but trap-disarming and sneaking up to things is SO helpful.

Currently leaning towards Zen Archery, since rogue bought me shortbow proficiency, so I can have a ranged attack that doesn't uncenter me. I'm told deflect arrows is lame, so probably skipping it, but I plan to get whirlwind attack for the awesome value even if it isn't actually very good.

TPICKRELL
09-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Ohh! So non-ki-strikes don't break the combo, just other ki strikes or non-combat actions?

That makes things easier.

Yeah. Here's more detailed information on finishing moves including a detailed description of what breaks it: http://ddowiki.com/page/Finishing_moves

FuzzyDuck81
09-10-2012, 03:18 PM
Currently leaning towards Zen Archery, since rogue bought me shortbow proficiency, so I can have a ranged attack that doesn't uncenter me. I'm told deflect arrows is lame, so probably skipping it, but I plan to get whirlwind attack for the awesome value even if it isn't actually very good.

Shurikens dont uncenter you either, but their damage is abysmal.. still generally ranged isnt too much of an issue :)

Whirlwind attack however, actually is a pretty nice feat for a monk if you can fit it in (remember to make sure you have all the 2 weapon fighting feats), since the prereqs of dodge, mobility & spring attack will all boost your dodge chance nicely & combat expertise can give some handy benefits too, though the 13 int requirement can be trickier on a class thats already dependent on multiple stats.

t0r012
09-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Couple of things.
First one was mentioned sun stance for getting more ki. You get + 1 ki per hit and more when you get a critical.

Second is concentration skill. Max it out. Take full ranks for every level. Plus spend ACtion points on improved concentration. Early on you are going to be looking for stuff to spend AP on to qualify for the good monk stuff and improved concentration helps fill the gaps some of the way.

When choosing your items like +stat items make sure you just even out a stat and see if you can find one with a kicker of "inner focus" which is a + concentration skill item.
So say you are level 5 that means you can wear +3 stat items. Well if a + 3 would take you to an uneven number then look for a +2 with inner focus.

Strange to say but consider reducing your damage take off the big damage wraps and wear plain old +1s. This will let you build more ki. Even better ask some one to craft you a pair of +0 handwraps of lesser vampirism. That way you hey healing from them plus your fist of light and ki.

seebs
09-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Ooh, nice tips.

I'm currently rog1/mnk3 (vet 4); I know some people frown on multiclassing monk, but I want the soloability of trap and lock handling. I am torn, because if I went to rog2, I could get another point of dex and get it to an even number. (Alternatively, I could reroll taking into account that I can't get that point of dex without another rogue level.)

Even if I do take another rogue level, it won't be for a bit -- I want to wait until I can put basically all the rogue skill points into open lock and disable device. :)

seebs
09-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Shurikens dont uncenter you either, but their damage is abysmal.. still generally ranged isnt too much of an issue :)

Yeah, I just want to have the option.

Not sure how DDO handles range/sneak-attack etc., and it's been long enough that I've forgotten how 3E handled it; I seem to recall "sneak attack works at range if you have point blank shot and are within 30 feet". Of course, if I'm within 30 feet, might as well just charge...

sebastianosmith
09-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Strange to say but consider reducing your damage take off the big damage wraps and wear plain old +1s. This will let you build more ki.

It's not strange at all. I have a blank weapon set on my monks designated for specifically fighting oozes, slimes and puddings. They are tremendous source of Ki below level 10 (and a few quests beyond that). They can't touch a monk anyway.

FuzzyDuck81
09-11-2012, 02:02 AM
It's not strange at all. I have a blank weapon set on my monks designated for specifically fighting oozes, slimes and puddings. They are tremendous source of Ki below level 10 (and a few quests beyond that). They can't touch a monk anyway.

even better on earlier quests are gargoyles.. once it goes into regeneration mode, just get your party beating on it while you keep fists of light curse on it, its a free HP vendor! :)

Dexol
09-11-2012, 03:30 AM
Ooh, nice tips.

I'm currently rog1/mnk3 (vet 4); I know some people frown on multiclassing monk, but I want the soloability of trap and lock handling. I am torn, because if I went to rog2, I could get another point of dex and get it to an even number. (Alternatively, I could reroll taking into account that I can't get that point of dex without another rogue level.)

Even if I do take another rogue level, it won't be for a bit -- I want to wait until I can put basically all the rogue skill points into open lock and disable device. :)

put points into search and disable device before open lock, most locks are very low DC so a couple of points and an open lock item should cover it,

on the other hand you cant disable a trap box if you cant find it

ReaperAlexEU
09-11-2012, 07:00 AM
Yeah, I just want to have the option.

Not sure how DDO handles range/sneak-attack etc., and it's been long enough that I've forgotten how 3E handled it; I seem to recall "sneak attack works at range if you have point blank shot and are within 30 feet". Of course, if I'm within 30 feet, might as well just charge...

yeah, same in DDO, though i think point blank range was pushed out to 40' at some point.

works great on my mechanic but with a strong melee option you might as well charge in. still, having a bow to switch to is handy for those mobs you cant get to or the odd ranged lever. just doubt its worth any build investment.

dont sweat over the odd dex either, in the long run there are enough options to even out your stats via gear that it isnt worth loosing any sleep over

and do be wary of the search + disable to do trap work. you will see most rogues fail to fix a trap because they cant even find it as opposed to failing the disable (generally means they need better gear if they have maxed skills, DDO is a pain like that)

JOTMON
09-11-2012, 07:41 AM
Dont forget healing amp you can turn those +1's into +2,+3's or even higher with Healing amp enhancements and gear.

Then once you get a lesser vampirism or vampirism item these proc independantly of the pos strikes.. effectively doubling your incoming heals.

Potency items boost your mass cure as well.

Archangel666
09-11-2012, 07:45 AM
Potency items boost your Healing Finisher as well.

As does Devotion, and Healing Lore boosts your chance to crit with them.