PDA

View Full Version : Artificer Spell: Prismatic Turret

ka0t1c1sm
09-10-2012, 01:17 AM
So, a guildmate and I were talking about a higher level alternative to the Flame Turret for an Artificer. While a higher level turret, maybe one that would dispense your choice of elemental damage (fire, cold, acid, electric) would be great, I was thinking of going a different route.

Prismatic Turret
School: Conjuration (Summoning spells)
Level: Art 6
Spell Point Cost: 40
Components: M, S, V
Metamagic: Eschew, Quicken
Range: N/A
Target: Self
Duration: 30 Seconds
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No
Cooldown: 2 minutes

Conjures a destroyable turret that fires jets of Prismatic Spray (as per the spell, caster level 15) at nearby enemies. You can have only one summoned creature at a time.

Prismatic Spray
A shining blast of multicolored light blinds creatures with 8 Hit Die or less for 12 to 48 seconds, and does 1 of 7 harmful effects at random to targets in its area of effect, with a 12.5% of inflicting a second different effect from that 7. These 7 effects are detailed as follows:

Red Ray: Caster level 15 fire damage, a successful Reflex save reduces the damage dealt by half
Orange Ray: Caster level 15 acid damage, a successful Reflex save reduces the damage dealt by half
Yellow Ray: Caster level 15 electrical damage, a successful Reflex save reduces the damage dealt by half
Green Ray: Instant Death (Ignores Death immunity.), deals Constitution damage on a successful Fortitude save (Poison effect)
Blue Ray: Turns victim to stone, Fortitude save negates
Indigo: Victim is stricken with Fear status, Will save negates
Violet: Sends victim to another plane (Instant Death, ignores Death Immunity.), Will save negates.

Prismatic Spray is a conical version of Prismatic Ray so area of effect and able to strike multiple targets.

You do not choose which color of beam hits your selected target. In chat text it will tell you which one hit. Occasionally, a target will be hit by two beams.

Note that Spell Resistance does not protect against any of these effects, including the non-damaging ones.

Half the duration and 4X the cooldown of a normal Flame Turret due to the obviously more powerful effects of a Prismatic Ray. Caster level would be set at 15, the level an Artificer gains access to level 6 spells. Like Flame Turret, only Eschew Materials and Quicken will effect it. Artificer damage enhancement lines would also not effect the turret.

Would this be too overpowered despite the fact that metas/enhancements would not increase damage/effectiveness? Alternatively, would the fact that it COULDN'T be meta'd/enhanced completely gimp it's effectiveness past level 20? Any ideas on how to better balance it?

Thanks, and looking forward to some feedback.

Mathermune
09-10-2012, 07:43 AM
So, a guildmate and I were talking about a higher level alternative to the Flame Turret for an Artificer. While a higher level turret, maybe one that would dispense your choice of elemental damage (fire, cold, acid, electric) would be great, I was thinking of going a different route.

[snip]

Would this be too overpowered despite the fact that metas/enhancements would not increase damage/effectiveness? Alternatively, would the fact that it COULDN'T be meta'd/enhanced completely gimp it's effectiveness past level 20? Any ideas on how to better balance it?

Thanks, and looking forward to some feedback.

I think flavour-wise it's not bad. Very powerful though, turrets still get enhancement and spellpower bonuses.

That means you essentially have a self aggro-ing, stationary, free casting of prismatic spray (a level 7 wizard spell) every however many seconds for 30 seconds.

I think that makes it far too unbalanced.

If I was going to make a second turret for the artificer I'd make it a level 5 spell. Too much competition at level 6. Reconstruct, Blade Barrier, Tactical Detonation and Deadly Weapons are most people's load out.

Lightning Mote Turret

It's essentially a flame turret only instead the turret creates a nebulous cloud of electric motes centered on itself. Not sure how long it should be around, but I'd have it trigger every 5 seconds, for 60 seconds. The damage is low, 1d3+3 electric damage per caster level (up to a max of 10d3+30) but gets better after the second trigger if things get hit again due to the 15% vulnerability proc and spellpower helps.

Spell point cost would be around 40, quicken is the only metamagic to affect.

If the point was to avoid the [element] turret idea...

Hmm, how about, a scaled up lesser globe of invulnerability?

The regular GoI is a level 6 spell, so we can't make that better. But lesser globe is level 4, "enlarged" to about fireball blast radius to make it worthy of level 5. Make the turret act as a magical focus to make the invulnerabubble stable in it's larger form, for "realism"

Uska
09-10-2012, 08:11 AM
Way way over the top

Syllph
09-10-2012, 08:17 AM
I'd make the AA-12 Tactical cannon.

Fires off blasts of tactical detonation once every few sec with a reassuringly loud BOOM! to accompany the blast of the tactical bomb.

(I'm not sure I'd actually have this in it just sounds like so much fun)

Memnir
09-10-2012, 08:18 AM
What I think would make the most sense for helping maintain Turret viability, and not be unbalancing...

Ice Turret
Usage: Active
Cost: 1 action points
Progression: 43 action points
Requires All of: Battle Engineer I, II
Available to Artificer level 12
Using their knowledge of the patterns of magic, a Battle Engineer may now conjure a destroyable turret that fires jets of ice at nearby enemies. You can have only one summoned creature at a time.

Acid Turret
Progression: 67 action points
Requires All of: Battle Engineer I, II, III
Available to Artificer level 18
Using their knowledge of the patterns of magic, a Battle Engineer may now conjure the ultimate form of destroyable turret that fires jets of acid at nearby enemies. You can have only one summoned creature at a time.

Make it a part of the higher levels of Battle Engineer - and function like a Pale Master's undead summons. Make the turrets look unique from the Flame Turret, and a bit larger as they gain in power.

Prismatic Spray out of a turret would be a bit overpowered, imho.

HatsuharuZ
09-10-2012, 10:38 AM
The OP's idea would be awesome, but I doubt the devs would implement it. How about a Prismatic AoE Grenade spell instead?

Also a turret that does physical damage, with spinning blades or darts, such as the ones that are present in some traps.

Khatzhas
09-10-2012, 10:40 AM
I think flavour-wise it's not bad. Very powerful though, turrets still get enhancement and spellpower bonuses. Are you sure? I was under the impression that they didn't.

Alavatar
09-10-2012, 02:00 PM
[movie quote]
I'd buy that for a dollar.
[/movie quote]

Seriously, more spells. :) Turrets can make use of existing tech already in the game.

Example ideas:

Repair Turret: L4 spell that emits an aura that Repairs damage at 1d8 + Caster Level (Max +10) every 2 seconds for 60 seconds that is not affected by Spell Power.

Force Turret: L6 spell that emits 2d4 + 1d2 per Caster Level (Max 20d2) every 2 seconds for 60 seconds. Affected by Spell Power.

The previously mentioned Turrets.

Tactical Turret: Tier 3 Battle Engineer or an ED ability that emits a Tactical Detonation once every 6 seconds at a randomly selected enemy in range for 60 seconds, cooldown 5 minutes.

Only one turret may be in use at a time.

Mathermune
09-10-2012, 03:12 PM
Are you sure? I was under the impression that they didn't.

No official numbers, based on personal experience with fire enhancements and flame turrets. Which can mean as little or as much as you want.

Uska
09-12-2012, 02:10 AM
What I think would make the most sense for helping maintain Turret viability, and not be unbalancing...

Ice Turret
Progression: 43 action points
Requires All of: Battle Engineer I, II
Available to Artificer level 12
Using their knowledge of the patterns of magic, a Battle Engineer may now conjure a destroyable turret that fires jets of ice at nearby enemies. You can have only one summoned creature at a time.

Acid Turret
Progression: 67 action points
Requires All of: Battle Engineer I, II, III
Available to Artificer level 18
Using their knowledge of the patterns of magic, a Battle Engineer may now conjure the ultimate form of destroyable turret that fires jets of acid at nearby enemies. You can have only one summoned creature at a time.

Make it a part of the higher levels of Battle Engineer - and function like a Pale Master's undead summons. Make the turrets look unique from the Flame Turret, and a bit larger as they gain in power.

Prismatic Spray out of a turret would be a bit overpowered, imho.

much better