PDA

View Full Version : Melee Suggestion

Carkolda
09-10-2012, 12:24 AM
Okay, so ... to spice things up a bit. I know we have power attack, Cleave, TWF, TWD, I and G TWF. There's one feat that I found missing that could add another to the game: Monkeygrip. It's pure Canon, nothing immensely crazy, but definitely something I'm curious why wasn't included in the game. It's the next logical evolution of Oversized TWF (which is in the game).

And while we're at it, why not 2 shields? Per RAW in D&D, you can dual-wield shields and shield bash. Just a curiosity why that isn't here too. Yes, it was more a joke build than anything else, but now that we have all sorts of guards and weapon abilities on shields, why not?

Talias006
09-10-2012, 01:05 AM
From what I remember, and have looked up in various resources (not in the Official Wizards SRD, because it's not there) Monkey Grip only allows the use of 1 size category larger weapons with a -2 attack penalty.
It doesn't actually allow the use of Medium category 2H weapons to be wielded in main hand, much less off-hand.

Examples:
If you're size Medium, it allows you to use Large size weapons 1H or 2H as if they were Medium, but at a -2 attack penalty.
If you're size Small, you can wield size Medium size weapons (1H or 2H) as if they were size Small but, again, with the -2 attack penalty.

Carkolda
09-10-2012, 08:34 AM
Prerequisite: Base attack bonus +1
Benefit: You can use melee weapons one size category larger than you are with a -2 penalty on the attack roll, but the amount of effort it takes you to use the weapon does not change. For instance, a Large longswod (a one-handed weapon for Large creature) is considered a two-handed weapon for a Medium creature that does not have this feat. For a Medium creature that has this feat, it is still considered a one-handed weapon. You can wield a larger light weapon as a light weapon, or a larger-two handed weapon in two hands. You cannot wield a larger weapon in your off hand, and you cannot use this feat with a double weapon.

So, you are correct. However, I have had many GM's rule that it applied like the D&D Wiki:

Prerequisite: Str 13, +1 Base Attack Bonus.
Benefit: This feat grants the ability to wield melee weapons that are one size too large for your race, as if they were one size smaller, at a –2 penalty to hit. (This includes using two-handed weapons as single-handed weapons, as two-handed weapons are considered a size category larger.)
Special: A Fighter may select this as a bonus feat.

So... it wouldn't be unreasonable to allow a Greatsword in one hand with this feat.

1jazzz
09-11-2012, 01:37 AM
From what I remember, and have looked up in various resources (not in the Official Wizards SRD, because it's not there) Monkey Grip only allows the use of 1 size category larger weapons with a -2 attack penalty.
It doesn't actually allow the use of Medium category 2H weapons to be wielded in main hand, much less off-hand.

Examples:
If you're size Medium, it allows you to use Large size weapons 1H or 2H as if they were Medium, but at a -2 attack penalty.
If you're size Small, you can wield size Medium size weapons (1H or 2H) as if they were size Small but, again, with the -2 attack penalty.

correct, and that halfling is considered medium size in ddo

you wont want to include size in ddo, imagine you found great property loot, but in a size that you can't wear 2/3 of the time

Worldcrafter
09-11-2012, 04:22 AM
On top of that, imagine if they don't get the races and sizes sync'd up at first.

"+11 Uberleather of Game Winning.
Small Size.
Half-Orc Only. No UMD."

Rather then including actually different sized gear, what if it was "assumed" that you were using bigger gear? You pick up the feat, you get a passive -2 Hit and +0.5(W). Or make it a stance that you can activate, and maybe the weapon actually gets a bit bigger visually. Tons of people will have fun turning the stance on and off repeatedly just to make the weapons grow and shrink.