PDA

View Full Version : Monk question

EllisDee37
09-08-2012, 01:22 AM
Rolling up a vet2 monk, I planned out all my feats and enhancements ahead of time. So far it's worked great except that I can't find an enhancement. Wiki lists (http://ddowiki.com/page/Monk_enhancements#Philosophy_Enhancements) the following enhancement:

Fists of Light: You channel positive energy into your attack, dealing 4d6 additional damage against undead, and applies a healing shield to your target which heals your allies that strike your target. On a vorpal strike (natural 20 followed by critical confirmation), you deal an additional 1d50 positive energy damage to undead. (10 ki)
AP Cost: 1 Level: 3 Progression: 7 Requires: Philosophy: Path of Harmonious Balance

This enhancement appears to not actually exist. I meet all requirements, and even if I click the Show Unavaliable checkbox and slowly scroll through all of them, I don't see it in the list anywhere.

Interestingly, the feat Path of Harmonious Balance in my character's feat list is named Path of Harmonious Balance: Fists of Light, and when I hover the mouse over it I get the same description as the enhancement quoted above.

Anyone know what's going on? Maybe a recent change that the wiki hasn't been updated for yet?

t0r012
09-08-2012, 01:24 AM
Rolling up a vet2 monk, I planned out all my feats and enhancements ahead of time. So far it's worked great except that I can't find an enhancement. Wiki lists (http://ddowiki.com/page/Monk_enhancements#Philosophy_Enhancements) the following enhancement:

This enhancement appears to not actually exist. I meet all requirements, and even if I click the Show Unavaliable checkbox and slowly scroll through all of them, I don't see it in the list anywhere.

Interestingly, the feat Path of Harmonious Balance in my character's feat list is named Path of Harmonious Balance: Fists of Light, and when I hover the mouse over it I get the same description as the enhancement quoted above.

Anyone know what's going on? Maybe a recent change that the wiki hasn't been updated for yet?
Fist of light is a feat granted when you choose the light path at you level 3 class bonus feat

EllisDee37
09-08-2012, 01:34 AM
Any idea what the wiki listing is from? An old version from years ago? How it used to be until the expansion pack went live?

I had to carefully plan out my enhancements, as progression appears to be a huge issue for monk enhancements. (There isn't a single monk enhancement you can take to start with; none of them have a progression of 0!)

So can I remove that 1 AP from my list and try to find something else to put in there? The only thing I can see at the moment would be either Improved Jump 1 or Improved Balance 1.

Archangel666
09-08-2012, 01:57 AM
Fists of Light is not an Enhancement. It is a granted Feat when you take the Path of Harmonious balance at level 3.

You can only be Light OR Dark, not both.

If you chose light then scroll down your Feats on your character sheet and look for:

Path of Harmonious Balance: Fists of Light.

Drag it to a hotbar and there you go.

If you don't see it there it's possible you may have chosen the dark path by mistake.

EllisDee37
09-08-2012, 01:59 AM
Anyone know why wiki lists it as an enhancement, complete with AP cost and progression requirement? Did it change at some point, and if so anyone know when?

I linked directly to the wiki listing of it as an enhancement.

Munkenmo
09-08-2012, 02:26 AM
Thanks for bringing this up.

I'll clean this up after the All Blacks beat Argentina.

They are not enhancements though, the previous posters are correct stating that you'll find them under the feats list.

FrozenNova
09-08-2012, 04:12 AM
Yes. It changed at some point. That was quite a long time ago. Nobody updates the wiki.

Munkenmo
09-08-2012, 04:46 AM
Nobody updates the wiki.

Not true.

Page updated, quickly skimmed through the rest, I didn't notice any other outdated info.

t0r012
09-08-2012, 06:17 AM
Any idea what the wiki listing is from? An old version from years ago? How it used to be until the expansion pack went live?

I had to carefully plan out my enhancements, as progression appears to be a huge issue for monk enhancements. (There isn't a single monk enhancement you can take to start with; none of them have a progression of 0!)

So can I remove that 1 AP from my list and try to find something else to put in there? The only thing I can see at the moment would be either Improved Jump 1 or Improved Balance 1.

Yes there is a big void in the monk AP lists early. You have to take a few improved skill APs. I suggest concentration and balance.

Monks have pretty much always needed to take a couple fill AP but many moons ago they changed the first tier elemental stances from AP to granted level 1 feats. That really made things worse.

Munkenmo
09-08-2012, 06:54 AM
Yes there is a big void in the monk AP lists early. You have to take a few improved skill APs. I suggest concentration and balance.

For any dark monk that's terrible advice since jump and tumble are pre reqs for ninja spy.

For any light path monks though

human / half elf, there's versatility you can take at level 1, it's a pretty good enhancement to burn ap on.

warforged have healers friend and tactics.

half orcs / halflings pretty much have to burn a couple of AP.

honestly never looked into dwarf/drow/elf as the seem like weak race choices.

EllisDee37
09-08-2012, 10:58 PM
Remember that you need to spend two AP before you can take any monk enhancements, so versatility only gets you halfway there.

I ended up taking the following as pure filler: (light monk)

Improved Concentration I
Improved Jump I
Improved Concentration II

The problem is not only taking the first one, but I didn't even want enough "below" the level 2 / 18 progression enhancements to meet the 18 requirement so had to take a second and third filler, which ended up being jump 1 and concentration 2.

FuzzyDuck81
09-09-2012, 03:23 AM
honestly never looked into dwarf/drow/elf as the seem like weak race choices.

Dwarves make pretty good monks, take stunning blow to open up the tactics line & they can get some nice boosts to their stunning fist DCs. Elves are interesting if you want a very evasive type monk, as they can take the dragonmarks for self-buffed displacement which coupled with the dodge chance etc. make them very hard to pin down... drow i pretty much agree with though, theres not much synergy at all unless you're doing something unusual like a shuriken build, or maybe an exotic multiclass of some kind.