PDA

View Full Version : Artificer Secondary Capstone

Chaoscheerio
09-05-2012, 02:15 PM
So I know the current Artificer capstone is pretty awesome. Full duration clickies make me very happy! But recently while planning out my Artificer's second life I was looking at the Construct Essence feat and noticed at the end it states: "You are still considered your original race(at this time)". That little tag at the end made me curious as to why it was never followed through on, so it got me thinking about a secondary capstone that does follow through!
My main idea here was to have a capstone that essentially makes an artificer a Living Construct, but still allows distinction between a fleshy and a Warforged.

Artificer Capstone: Forgemaster
Requires 20 Artificer levels
Requires the Construct Essence feat

You are a master of experimental tinkering! Your self-forging has culminated in your flesh being almost totally replaced by machinery.
The penalty to Positive Energy effects are increased to 60%, while you take 90% from Repair and Rust effects.
You are now considered a Living Construct instead of your original race.
Your pet Iron Defender has also benefited from your tinkering, and gains 25% additional fortification, as well as +2 to all ability scores, and the ability to heal 10% of each repair spell you cast on yourself. Your experimentation allows it to temporarily transform into an Iron Juggernaut; gaining +10 Strength, 20DR/Adamantine and a 75% bonus to threat generation for 30 seconds. Cooldown of 10 Minutes.

So that's my basic idea. What I find difficult about this kind of a thing is really making the distinction between Warforged and fleshy, while also trying to balance it.
One big point here for me was the buff to the Iron Defender. Ever since the class came out the Iron Defender has largely been put aside with the label "Useless" which I don't really agree with. I feel like adding a buff to the fleshy artificer's dog puts more emphasis on the bond between man and machine.

Anyway, that's just about all I have to say about this for now. It's just a little idea of mine that sparked from a promise not followed through on :p I welcome comments, criticism, and further ideas!

Khatzhas
09-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Its possibly more likely to be linked to a potential PrE based on the Renegade Mastermaker in D&D. This is basically a caster who adds magical parts to their body until they eventually turn themselves into a Warforged.

Chaoscheerio
09-05-2012, 03:39 PM
That actually does make sense as more of prestige line. I think it would be awesome to have one that has something that makes dogs more viable to use(even though they already totally are).

Did I mention I love the dogs?

licho
09-05-2012, 03:40 PM
The idea is good: make something more with construct essence, and allow to benefit more from repair spellls.
However big no for making it capstone, there is already enought switch to end game in DDO.
(with ED some classes get the cool stuff after 20+)
I would rather see the PrE of it. Where each tier improves repairing, gives some immunities, and buff the dog and runearm.

Note: and the third PrE should be about using other items and casting, maybe with casting from scrolls.

Khatzhas
09-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Renegade mastermaker I can see getting things like fortification, warforged-like resistances, buffs to the defender, and bonuses to repair spells: perhaps even to the extent of a "warforged healer" level of capability.
Question is, if a Warforged is able to take the PrE, would it push them further towards construct traits, or further towards living creature traits?

The other PrE perhaps concentrate on Runearm, UMD and item use. Reduce move penalty for Runearm, retain essence working for potions and clickies etc. Perhaps even metamagic-like stances that do things like burn extra item charges to deal extra damage, double duration etc.

Chaoscheerio
09-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Question is, if a Warforged is able to take the PrE, would it push them further towards construct traits, or further towards living creature traits?.

I know for a prestige it doesn't make sense to totally exclude a race; but what I had in mind was that this was a specifically fleshy kind of thing.
Perhaps it could require the Improved Fortification Feat or Construct Essence; and for Warforged it would further increase repairs. They'd have to be totally self sufficient, but it would make it easier to do.
Edit: Perhaps it could also increase their immunities such as making them immune to magical poisons and diseases, and increase their resistance to rust or paralyzing effects?