PDA

View Full Version : Are blind guild invites really common or something?

seebs
09-05-2012, 01:40 AM
I've been doing some researching and messing with the UI and such, and... Boy, I sure do get a lot of guild invites from people I haven't even seen, let alone talked with.

Lonnbeimnech
09-05-2012, 01:55 AM
I've been doing some researching and messing with the UI and such, and... Boy, I sure do get a lot of guild invites from people I haven't even seen, let alone talked with.

In korthos and the harbour, yes. Elsewhere, no.

Mizzaroo
09-05-2012, 02:31 AM

Really? Its happened to me quite a few times in the harbor and marketplace. :D

Ugumagre
09-05-2012, 02:40 AM
I would say quite common. If you are already in a guild, well, sure, you donĀ“t notice it.
But if you run around with a unguilded Vet 4 or Vet 7 it happens quite a lot.

Terebinthia
09-05-2012, 02:42 AM
If someone repeatedly spams me I tend to join, tell them off and leave on bad terms. Assisting renown decay FTW.

Asmodeus451
09-05-2012, 02:57 AM
If someone repeatedly spams me I tend to join, tell them off and leave on bad terms. Assisting renown decay FTW.

while entirely justifiable and all, i wouldnt recommend doing this, as it *could get YOU into trouble for griefing

Alrik_Fassbauer
09-05-2012, 03:00 AM

I agree. Rarely in the Market-Place, but I haven't seen them anywhre else so far.
Perhaps only during the Crystal Cove event.

I fail to understand, by the way, how people come to send me blind invites ?
How do they find out about me ?

Once I received a /tell of someone inviting me for THe Crucible. I had the pack only a few days at that point and clearly didn't know about its quests.

However, he invited me because my character was good at swimming - and indeed he is !
But : How did he find it out ? I know of no way to find out stats via MyDDO or the character inspection screen ... The only clue I have is an item which grants swimming bonus ... But why me ?

Terebinthia
09-05-2012, 03:20 AM
while entirely justifiable and all, i wouldnt recommend doing this, as it *could get YOU into trouble for griefing

Heh. I figure that someone too stupid to understand the concept of you clicking decline will be too stupid to find the report button (plus it would be clear in the report that they were spamming). That said, I use a mini guild of my hubby for mules and such these days. Saves on the spam.

MRMechMan
09-05-2012, 03:24 AM

Trouble? For accepting a random invite and then leaving the guild?

Maybe if you used a bunch of foul language or threatened them, but otherwise that is on no level griefing.

ReaperAlexEU
09-05-2012, 05:43 AM
Trouble? For accepting a random invite and then leaving the guild?

Maybe if you used a bunch of foul language or threatened them, but otherwise that is on no level griefing.

while i agree with the poetic justice of the join then drop on bad terms i can see how it could be considered griefing. the correct response is to squelch the offending recruiter, not to deliberately harm their renown. its the same as swearing at a spammer in general, you might be the one that gets in trouble.

gerardIII
09-05-2012, 06:02 AM
while i agree with the poetic justice of the join then drop on bad terms i can see how it could be considered griefing. the correct response is to squelch the offending recruiter, not to deliberately harm their renown. its the same as swearing at a spammer in general, you might be the one that gets in trouble.
Not the same thing: swearing is not allowed. Joining a guild, leaving a guild are allowed.

It's the facts that matter, not the intent.

If you joke about being able to delete someone's account, you get in trouble for impersonating Turbine's staff, even though you're not being serious (putting a smiley face at the end of your sentence) and your intent is not to bribe people.

If you join and leave a guild for whatever reason, you don't get in trouble. You may get a bad rep but that's all.

Galeria
09-05-2012, 06:14 AM
Blind guild invites don't come from being in a certain place.

People recruiting for a guild will pull up the Who panel, sort by guild, and start sending guild invites to everyone without a guild tag.

It's not that they are looking at you and noticed you run by- it's simply that you are logged in and not in a guild.

Asmodeus451
09-05-2012, 06:17 AM
Not the same thing: swearing is not allowed. Joining a guild, leaving a guild are allowed.

If you joke about being able to delete someone's account, you get in trouble for impersonating Turbine's staff, even though you're not being serious (putting a smiley face at the end of your sentence) and your intent is not to bribe people.

If you join and leave a guild for whatever reason, you don't get in trouble. You may get a bad rep but that's all.

i'll say this then: i actually know someone who got a 2 week ban for doing it.

as mentioned above, the "turbine approved" method is to just /squelch, deliberately joining and dropping is considered griefing

Nospheratus
09-05-2012, 06:51 AM
Options -> UI settings -> find "Receive guild invites" -> uncheck

ReaperAlexEU
09-05-2012, 07:50 AM

hmm, to me griefing is using a game mechanic to cause grief, no matter how legit the game mechanic is. seems like a classic case of griefing to me when the /squelch tool or the block all guild invite option are the correct ways to deal with the situation.

not that i have any love for the guild spammers, its just that i dont want to see good gamers with a sense of poetic justice get into trouble of this.

laurawilder
09-05-2012, 08:18 AM

as mentioned above, the "turbine approved" method is to just /squelch, deliberately joining and dropping is considered griefing

The person who was banned did some other offense. Turbine cannot ban you for leaving a guild. If anything they would ban the guild officer that was doing blind invites as a grief spammer.

No one will punish you for leaving a guild.

BigSlugger
09-05-2012, 08:45 AM
As someone that used to roll favor toons, I can say that blind guild invites are rather common, as much as blind party invites. They slowed down once I started giving the toons names such as Ftijuhhdejgvjh.

akash
09-05-2012, 08:56 AM

That reminds me my early days in DDO. Me and my officers had recruited 700+ people just in a month by blind inviting every corner of DDO (starting from Krothos to Plane of Savarath). I used to promote everyone to "Officer", and thus the number multiplied very fast. Sometimes, if I blind invited a person and immediately promoted him/her as officer, s/he used to edit the "guild message of the day" section (most often with swear words), and leave in "bad terms". If the swear word is used in the guild board, we (all the guildies online, in my case 20-200 people) used to report the abuser because there were children in the guild and these types of violent activities is not accepted in DDO. Thus, I can imagine a lot of people got temporarily banned for this.

Moreover, my experience says if you immediately leave in bad terms after joining a new guild, the guild doesn't lose any renown because you haven't accumulated any renown at all. In this case leaving in bad term and good term is absolutely the same, and the only penalty the guild gets is by increasing amount of modified account size. However, guilds who blind invite people don't care about modified account size at all, so still absolutely no loss for them. The best way to keep safe from guild spamming is by disabling that option in your UI setting. Guild mass spamming and leaving the guild both are accepted but swearing is what violates the TOS.

Galeria
09-05-2012, 08:59 AM
That's funny.

You guys in Spellbinder recruited my 10-year-old stepson while we were teaching him the game in Korthos and he didn't even know he was in a guild. I definitely remember your guild tag. No doubt you have children in your guild.

And the griefing doesn't come from lost renown, it comes from the higher guild size for the next 14 days, reducing your renown bonuses and raising your decay.

Spellbinders. So funny.

akash
09-05-2012, 09:32 AM
That's funny.

You guys in Spellbinder recruited my 10-year-old stepson while we were teaching him the game in Korthos and he didn't even know he was in a guild. I definitely remember your guild tag. No doubt you have children in your guild.

And the griefing doesn't come from lost renown, it comes from the higher guild size for the next 14 days, reducing your renown bonuses and raising your decay.

Spellbinders. So funny.

+1 for remembering us. Haha :o I feel so nostalgic to think it now. Yes, me and my 700+ officers had blind recruited so many people, and some of them don't even know that s/he is in a guild including my best friend I meet in DDO (though she is now in a different guild).

I agree that griefing doesn't come from reknown loss but I also disagree that increasing the size of the modified account for that kind of guild hurts either. At least, it never hurt my feelings (900+ modified account size and the guild perma stuck at level 34), so we really didn't care about guild levelling, we just wanted to be the largest guild by population in Sarlona (and it stayed at top 6 position for 6+ months). :D

After some time a huge bunch of high level active officers told me to drop lower levels and people who were inactive for more than 2 weeks. I initially didn't agree with them but they were the only guildies who were high levels and used to play with me on daily basis. So, eventually I had to change my policies, drop 900+ characters, lose 2 guild levels, and level to 50 in just few months. :cool:

seebs
09-05-2012, 11:13 AM

What about NON-deliberately joining?

I was in the middle of logging out. I clicked on something shaped about like the "are you sure" box. I got a message saying I'd joined a guild. I left. I didn't understand the good/bad terms description, but what I thought it said is that they'd lose a portion of the renown I'd contributed to the guild -- which would have been exactly zero -- so I didn't think it would matter either way.

I wasn't deliberately joining a guild I didn't want to be in, I was just really tired and not reading carefully...

LordMond63
09-05-2012, 04:05 PM
I guess I'll soon find out, as I disbanded my two-alt vanity guild and now have a couple of ronin.

For all I know, the blind invites may still be very prevalent. I do think that using the LFM panel to recruit as well as using general chat in Korthos, Harbor and Marketplace to recruit has decreased quite a bit. I've TR'ed a couple of characters and went through those areas again and I just didn't see those methods used much at all.

Dysmetria
09-05-2012, 04:54 PM
You can turn off guild invitations in the options menu.

ReaperAlexEU
09-05-2012, 05:50 PM
What about NON-deliberately joining?

I was in the middle of logging out. I clicked on something shaped about like the "are you sure" box. I got a message saying I'd joined a guild. I left. I didn't understand the good/bad terms description, but what I thought it said is that they'd lose a portion of the renown I'd contributed to the guild -- which would have been exactly zero -- so I didn't think it would matter either way.

I wasn't deliberately joining a guild I didn't want to be in, I was just really tired and not reading carefully...

i dont think you have any thing to worry about there. its more if they spot a repeating pattern that they might start asking questions

Drelak
09-06-2012, 03:59 AM
My personal experince is that toons passing by invite my toon to their guild. Sometimes this happens during the time I am still loading into the game and can't respond. This is rather common at the docks area of the harbor.
The place for a bit classier blind guild invites is around the wayvard lobster.
I usually look around to see the inviter, and if the guild level is high enough to have a ship, I consider joining.
One digit and teen level guilds I just flat out refuse.

On the other hand I have favor farming toon on every server, and I play each of them now and then, so that can be rather bad for the guild. I have refused a polite, effectively blind invitation on the grounds of not planning to play that toon much in the foreseeable future.

danzig138
09-06-2012, 09:38 AM
hmm, to me griefing
Unfortunately, it doesn't really matter what you or I consider griefing. What matters is what the official responder to a complaint considers to be griefing. I'm willing to bet that varies a bit from individual to individual.