PDA

View Full Version : "Undead giants no longer knock players back...."

hit_fido
09-04-2012, 01:36 PM
"Undead giants no longer knock players back, and are less glitchy."

This was listed in 15.1 release notes under the heading, "Mabar, Festival of Endless Night".

My question is - does that apply only in the context of Mabar, or all over? Because actually, the giant knock back is one of the few actions that provide some sense of realism or otherwise reminds you you're fighting something of, well, giant size.

If I were voting, I'd say keep the knock back on giants, and worry more about air elementals that continue to frustrate all attempts to engage even despite being paralyzed.

Miow
09-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Yup kinda didn't know it was an issue to be honest.

Mathermune
09-04-2012, 01:50 PM

I know right? In theme too I'd have thought and yet this is what was considered a major bug worthy of fixing.

I wonder if stunned and tripped mobs continue to slide around attacking and casting their spells?

arkonas
09-04-2012, 01:54 PM
personally i would like to see air elementals fixed. there should be no reason they should constantly knock you down and toss you around like a rag doll. Maybe lower the dc of the wind or give them new abilities like lighting bolt jolt etc. im just saying because their very annoying.

Scraap
09-04-2012, 02:08 PM

Quite.

Unless these were Mabar specific undead giants, their frequency of knock-back was just about right:
Enough to interrupt a full chain, but not enough to lock you out of combat entirely.

That's the target they should be going for with air elies too, note.

Yan_PL
09-05-2012, 05:28 AM
I'd say that, in MAbar environs, knockback could possibly have more effect than intended - being sort of public area. Imagine earth elementals earthgrabbing you in mabar area from other side of the instance.

Rawel_San
09-05-2012, 05:47 AM
The only thing I would like to see fixed about skellie giants (and other giants at that) knockback is the fact it
knocks you back even if they miss.

azrael4h
09-06-2012, 11:54 PM
personally i would like to see air elementals fixed. there should be no reason they should constantly knock you down and toss you around like a rag doll. Maybe lower the dc of the wind or give them new abilities like lighting bolt jolt etc. im just saying because their very annoying.

The problem with the knockback effect is it has no save. Knockdown does, but knockback does not.

In other words, bad design.

Barazon
09-07-2012, 12:37 AM

This was listed in 15.1 release notes under the heading, "Mabar, Festival of Endless Night".

My question is - does that apply only in the context of Mabar, or all over? Because actually, the giant knock back is one of the few actions that provide some sense of realism or otherwise reminds you you're fighting something of, well, giant size.

If I were voting, I'd say keep the knock back on giants, and worry more about air elementals that continue to frustrate all attempts to engage even despite being paralyzed.

Actually I think it's completely unrealistic, since they knock you back just as far by missing you as they do by hitting you. Ever stand near a busy road, and have a car drive by, about 2-3 feet away going 30 miles an hour? Did the wind from it knock you back 5 feet and stagger you? No? Well I'm thinking that car displaces about as much air as does a giant's club.

Now if they changed it so that misses didn't knock you back, but only hits, then I would say it was a reasonable and intelligent change.

QuantumFX
09-07-2012, 02:22 AM
I could agree with this…

Because actually, the giant knock back is one of the few actions that provide some sense of realism or otherwise reminds you you're fighting something of, well, giant size.

Except for this fact…

…is the fact it knocks you back even if they miss.

MyHumps
09-07-2012, 02:30 AM
Cool, this was just an annoying mechanic anyway that didn't add to difficulty whatsoever.

jejeba86
09-11-2012, 12:01 PM

you have answered yourself already.

countfitz
09-11-2012, 01:14 PM
you have answered yourself already.

Except: This is DDO, and I highly doubt the programming team is going to make the distinction the devs did.