PDA

View Full Version : So, I’m about to buy some points

Kylric
09-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Greetings all! Yes, I’m new to the game and looking for advice. I’m about to buy some points so I can start playing a Favored Soul. I see I can get the 250 points today. I just became VIP, so I have my points from that at well; I think my total is around 620. I wanted to also try and use the 5% discount points as well, but I guess I can only use one coupon at a time.

Anyone know of a “best value” bundle or something? I don’t mean by purchasing points directly, I mean buy purchasing something that comes with points?

Advice?

Dysmetria
09-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Greetings all! Yes, I’m new to the game and looking for advice. I’m about to buy some points so I can start playing a Favored Soul. I see I can get the 250 points today. I just became VIP, so I have my points from that at well; I think my total is around 620. I wanted to also try and use the 5% discount points as well, but I guess I can only use one coupon at a time.

Anyone know of a “best value” bundle or something? I don’t mean by purchasing points directly, I mean buy purchasing something that comes with points?

Advice?One good value out there right now would be the expansion standard edition: http://underdark.ddo.com/

For $50 it comes with epic destinies, 1000 TP, A greater tome of learning which significantly increases leveling speed for one character, and all the high end quests you don't get as a VIP, (as well as 4 adventure packs, the druid class, and the eveningstar challenges, which you do already have as a VIP but will lose once you stop subscribing.) If you bought all of those via TP it would be around $100.

As for the favored soul, since you are a VIP and have access to almost every quest in the game, you might want to consider playing a different class until you get it to 2500 total favor which will unlock the favored soul on that server for free. Doing so would also earn you another 1000+ TP to spend as well.

Rawrargh
09-03-2012, 12:58 PM
if you're VIP and plan on remaining VIP your points are best spent on fvs or artificer. SP pots or guestpasses are nice too along with ingredients bags.
You might also wanna save up for ED's or for the expansion if you're not plannin on buying one of the expansion bundles.

Dysmetria
09-03-2012, 01:05 PM
if you're VIP and plan on remaining VIP your points are best spent on fvs or artificer.Wouldn't TP be better spent on anything else, while earning a bunch more TP farming enough favor to unlock both those classes for free?

seebs
09-03-2012, 01:07 PM
One good value out there right now would be the expansion standard edition: http://underdark.ddo.com/

For $50 it comes with epic destinies, 1000 TP, A greater tome of learning which significantly increases leveling speed for one character, and all the high end quests you don't get as a VIP, (as well as 4 adventure packs, the druid class, and the eveningstar challenges, which you do already have as a VIP but will lose once you stop subscribing.) If you bought all of those via TP it would be around $100.

Even if you exclude the stuff you'd already get as a VIP, it's not a bad deal, and if you tack on the 5000-for-$35 deal, it's a pretty awesome deal. The points alone aren't awesome (6k for $85 wouldn't be a good deal), but you're also getting the greater tome (1595 points normally) and some other stuff which would usually cost some noticeable spare change.

seebs
09-03-2012, 01:08 PM
Wouldn't TP be better spent on anything else, while earning a bunch more TP farming enough favor to unlock both those classes for free?

Depends on how much you want to play those classes instead of something else. Earning a ton of stuff farming may not be the play experience someone is looking for to start out...

Kylric
09-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. I should also add that I don't expect to be able to play more than 10-15 hours a week. I can grind some, but I don't want to spend so much time grinding that I fail to meet some earlier goals.

If that helps...

donfilibuster
09-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Had the same dilemma as a new player and got the fvs right away.
For gathering tp don't forget to get the 50 favor run on each server, which sums 400.

djl
09-03-2012, 02:21 PM
I would not ever buy a FVS. Getting the favor to unlock it is not that difficult.

Unless you really want to play it now as your first character, you're better off waiting.

DynaTheCat
09-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Get a bunny hat

Daemoneyes
09-04-2012, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the quick replies. I should also add that I don't expect to be able to play more than 10-15 hours a week. I can grind some, but I don't want to spend so much time grinding that I fail to meet some earlier goals.

If that helps...

I would not spend TP on buying Fav Soul.
But they are yours so u should not hear to what i or any of us would do.

All i can say with 10-15hrs a week even as slow player you would be at lvl20+ and have the FvS unlocked in maximum a month if youre real slow max 2month.
So if u dont mind that time and playing another Char (i would pick Cleric, lets u switch spells and gives u experience which u like) it would be worth waiting.

Also if u dont mind trying out new chars (which i recommend everyone new here) make different chars on each server and play them till you reach 100Favor. True it doesnt show how the class will behave at endgame but it gives a nice impression and you get alot of free TP.

now what to do with the TP?

best investment even as Vip is a huge Collectibles Bag.
but its Bound to Char, so maybe you want to wait a bit till you are sure that u want to play this char longer and not delete it with the bag and other stuff in short time.
(you dont need other bags, cause u get a tiny&small ingredients bag for free and with 150 the12 favor a large for free, this will last you some time.)

SSFWEl
09-04-2012, 07:31 AM
I highly disagree.

It can take quite a long time to get to 2500 fav. 2500 fav means you need to do most of the quests up to lvl 20 on elite. you are first life and no gear.
And on a first life, you will hit lvl 20 before you get 2500 fav. You will probably end up at lvl 25 before you unlock it.

I been playing for about 1.5 years, about 16-18h a week and only about a month ago unlocked FVS.
You will probably at one point make another character, and spend time leveling it up. You might TR once you hit 20 (and lose all favor).
I leveled 2 characters to 20, TRd them both and hit lvl 23 on my main, before I unlocked it on my main character. You need all the favor to be on one character.

Maybe, if ALL you do is go for favor, you can unlock it faster.

Just go buy the FvS and have fun.

I would not ever buy a FVS. Getting the favor to unlock it is not that difficult.

Unless you really want to play it now as your first character, you're better off waiting.

Ryiah
09-04-2012, 12:06 PM
2500 fav means you need to do most of the quests up to lvl 20 on elite.

Prior to Update 14 the maximum favor was about 4,000. You could probably do just Hard for the majority of the quests. Likely even just Normal for most of them with Elite for the very high favor ones like the Pit.

Kylric
09-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Well, I went ahead and got the FS. I'm sure I will play several classes over time, but I would rather not wait a month or so. I wanted options (although a cleric is very close).

Now if I can just not have to log in to my work computer I could play some D&D.

I like my monl as well, and I will be creating a ranger before too long.

It's all about options.

thanks folks!

SSFWEl
09-05-2012, 12:42 AM
Prior to Update 14 the maximum favor was about 4,000. You could probably do just Hard for the majority of the quests. Likely even just Normal for most of them with Elite for the very high favor ones like the Pit.

Sorry need to disagree again. Maybe not most quests altogether, because I lacked some packs like Threnal, but you need a lot of quests; this is what I did on my second life TR:

ELITE:
Korthos
Most Harbor
Most MP
Phiarlen
Fens
VoN
Stormreach and Lordmarch
Sands
GH
Missing chain (but not In the Flesh)
Expansion flag quests
Vale

Norm/Hard (maybe some elite, would need to check):
RR
Amarath and ToD

I only hit 2500 fav somewhere after I did a few of the expansion quests.
And you want a first life new player to do this in a month? Most first life new players take about 3-6 months to 20. Now maybe it takes 2-4 months with tomes and streaks. But please don't let new players think it's trivial...

He made the right choice buying it. And he can use it on any server.