PDA

View Full Version : Greensteel stat enhancement question

Algonem
09-02-2012, 09:37 PM
I still consider myself a new player so I'm posting this under the new player folder. If this should go elsewhere, just let me know.

I just crafted my first greensteel item and did the first 2 tiers. I'm a cleric and wanted to further boost my SP and wisdom score so I went with Earth for both tiers. I am getting the SP boost from the Magi VI and elemental power but the wisdom boost is not taking effect. I say that because when I put on my greensteel googles, my stat does not increase. I am trying to figure out why.

I am wearing another item which boosts my wisdom by 6 but it is not an exceptional bonus like the greensteel googles. I can even remove the crown and lose a full 6 even though I am wearing the goggles so it is like the +3 total exceptional bonuses are not taking effect.

Perhaps a better breakdown would help someone figure out my issue:

16 Base
+ 5 Stat level increases (4, 8, 12, 16, 20)
+ 3 Inherent Bonus (read +3 wisdom manual)
+ 2 Feat Bonus (took 2 wisdom boosts with enhancements)
+ 6 Enchantment Bonus (wearing crown)
-----

While that comes to 32, I was expecting to see 35 since I am receiving an Exception Bonus +1 and +2 from earth tiers of my greensteel googles. Can anyone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

cru121
09-03-2012, 02:04 AM
I think you are actually receiving +1 and +2 to wisdom skills.

Lonnbeimnech
09-03-2012, 02:15 AM
I think you are actually receiving +1 and +2 to wisdom skills.

Sounds like it.

Check it's effect on your spot skill. If it goes up by 3, thats the answer.

BlueSilence
09-03-2012, 02:24 AM
Going with Earth on GS tier 1 or 2 will provide an exceptional bonus to Wisdom based skills: Heal, Listen and Spot. It wont increase the Wisdom stats in itself.

If what you want is to have an enhacement bonus to your wisdom stat then you will need to create your GS item using a Negative/Positive or Positive/Negative focus. (Mentioning this as these are the firsts steps to make a Con-opp item). This of course, wont stack with the crown you wear.

Also, there are some great GS planners that you can use:

http://ddocrafting.info/index.php?p=shroud#

http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delallea/ddo/shroud/index.php

changelingamuck
09-03-2012, 02:24 AM
That's correct. GS items don't give exceptional bonuses to your ability scores. They give exceptional bonuses to all skills related to particular ability scores (e.g. exceptional wisdom skill bonus +1 boosting your spot, listen, and heal skills by +1). Definitely take a look at the greensteel crafting pages on ddowiki.com and I'd recommend googling to find a greensteel crafting planner. There are a few out there.

Cyndrome
09-03-2012, 02:32 AM
That's correct. GS items don't give exceptional bonuses to your ability scores. They give exceptional bonuses to all skills related to particular ability scores (e.g. exceptional wisdom skill bonus +1 boosting your spot, listen, and heal skills by +1). Definitely take a look at the greensteel crafting pages on ddowiki.com and I'd recommend googling to find a greensteel crafting planner. There are a few out there.

GS weapons, however, can give you exceptional bonuses. Not that I would suggest that in the current game, but I have used them in the past for +3 Exceptional Con when I wanted a Con Op weapon.

Algonem
09-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Going with Earth on GS tier 1 or 2 will provide an exceptional bonus to Wisdom based skills: Heal, Listen and Spot. It wont increase the Wisdom stats in itself.

OK, this is what is going on. I guess I got a little excited when I got the ingredients together. I know that there are a lot of articles on green steel but to be honest, I still found the process a bit confusing. I thought I had it figured out but the stat versus skill boost for accessories instead of weapons got me. Maybe I need a greensteel for dummies book. Thank you to everyone who responded. At least I stopped at only tier II.

RedHost
09-03-2012, 02:29 PM
Maybe I need a greensteel for dummies book.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=143580 Here is Tihocan's 'builder for dummies' page. It has a very simply laid out interface, where you know exactly what you are getting when you click on the abilities. I really like the way that you can start with your Dual Shard effect, and then work backwards to what the possible combinations for it. Hope this helps you out.

TrinityTurtle
09-03-2012, 02:46 PM
You can only put stat boosts on green steel weapons. The boosts on green steel wearables are to the skills tied to that stat. So on goggles you're getting a boost to every wisdom based skill.